PDA

View Full Version : rookie looking for some help

newguy
09-27-2005, 01:27 PM
hi all i'm new to hunting and myself and a friend managed to get out for a day of scouting in the postill lake area of region 8-10 on Saturday, i have a whitetail doe draw for that area. we did managed to see 8 does(5 whitetails and 3 mulies) before legal light but after that nothing but two turkey. we walked up and down old roads and clear cuts and saw little deer sign. does anyone have any ideas on where to find them during the day,any tricks or advise. on an up side on the way home heading through chilliwack i saw a bobcat on the side of the freeway going after something on the railroad tracks, that was cool!

todbartell
09-27-2005, 01:52 PM
early in the morning and late in the evening, hide by their feeding spots. mid morning to early afternoon, find water. I wouldnt try to go into their bedding areas in the thick bush, you risk spooking them out of the area totally.

best bet is to sit in the evening near where you find their tracks and shit, soon enough one will show up :D

good luck

timberhunter
09-27-2005, 01:56 PM
I've got this really huge big flash light:shock:

Oopsi was that my outside voice again:icon_frow
hehehe

brotherjack
09-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Well, I look at it this way - everything that lives in the bush must do three things - eat, sleep, and drink water.

Eating areas are huge, consisting of just about anywhere plants grow.

Bedding areas are difficult to sneak up on a critter in, and often hard to find.

Water on the other hand, is a constant and consistent draw for critters. Don't get me wrong, you don't have to hunt right by the water hole - but I'm saying that in and around water holes, there will always be a more significant concentration of critter movement than you'll find just about anywhere else - and a moving critter in your immediate vicinity is a far easier critter to hunt than a bedded one a long ways away from you. :biggrin:

So, my advice - find some water, and look for tracks and game trails in the surrounding area. Not all water sources see tons of action (though in relatively dry areas like mine, most do), so you may have to look around a bit to find a spot that's popular with the critters, but once you've found one, you're in business. I get within 15 feet of whitetails on a regular basis using this technique (and by controling my scent).

newguy
09-28-2005, 05:05 AM
thanks for the tips will try finding games trails by water the next time i'm out, hopefully in three weeks.