PDA

View Full Version : Lot's of Wolfs!!

Island Blacktail
11-25-2008, 08:58 PM
For the amount of Wolf sightings being posted sure not very many being shot. Lets hear about some wolfs being harvested>

Ride
11-25-2008, 11:09 PM
I'll bite. I got this one in September east of Prince George....

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/38boggers/S5000081.jpg

And then i was able to take this one in October.....

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/38boggers/S5000105.jpg

spock
11-26-2008, 12:25 PM
While I was hunting moose east of pg in late september I saw a wolf about 200 yds away walking a long a hill side, he then sat down and looked at me would have been an easy shot but I thought you needed a tag for a wolf. When I got back to the camper and looked at the regs I realized BC residents didn't need a wolf tag, I really regretted not taking that wolf after I found than out.

Island Blacktail
11-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Nice to see someone has pulled the trigger on a wolf. They are cleaning the deer out in BC.

Prowler
11-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Thats no wolf, thats my dog "Rusty":frown: I wondered where the hell he went.... Poor Rusty.... I hope you are going to make a fine rug out of him. He is very loyal, and listens well... "Lie down Rusty!"
See......:sad:

one-shot-wonder
11-26-2008, 09:08 PM
3 came in last night to a local taxidermist. Including one Alpha male that was huge ~125 lbs!

David Heitsman
11-26-2008, 09:28 PM
I shot one at 10 yds

moosehunter16
11-26-2008, 09:48 PM
nice pics ride

David Heitsman
11-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Is the edit function not functioning?

This is the third time I've written this post. Anyway... I shot one on the Sikanni , at 10 yards a few years ago and then quickly handed my rifle to my guide. Started calling like a Banshee till they came back and we ended up with a brace.

Mine was a grey male and I had him lifesized. He stands right in front of my desk. You may have seen him as occaisionally I display him on the main hunting stage at the hunting show in Abby.

Unfortunately, my luck has gone downhill since then. In 2007, on the Tuchodi, I fired at a group of 5 feeding on a calf elk I had photographed the day before. Slowed one down but didn't end up with a pelt.

Then this fall, at the Gataga headwaters we located and stalked a group of 8 wolves to within 180 yards and managed to spray sand all over the black Alpha by shooting under him. No time for a second shot normally.

I'd like to get a couple once and have a diorama made of something with both of them in it. Saw a cool one at SCI last winter with 5 wolves in it!

Orangethunder
11-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Despite my best efforts I have yet to settle the cross hairs on one. Lots out in 5-1 today.

hunter1947
11-27-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm headed out on the weekend to see if I can find a wolf ,I will be using my deer distress caller to see if I can bring in one ,I saw fresh wolf tracks last weekend.

I also heard them calling in this one area ,will give it a shot nothing to loose only to gain.

one-shot-wonder
11-27-2008, 09:06 AM
I shot one on the Sikanni , at 10 yards a few years ago and then quickly handed my rifle to my guide. Started calling like a Banshee till they came back and we ended up with a brace.

How do you call wolves, did you howl with your voice or use a predator call, do coyote howls work at all? I am curious to know what brings these beasts in......would love to make one eat lead!

David Heitsman
11-27-2008, 02:59 PM
I just use my voice and howl like a wolf. I'm not trained but have seen it done before. If they are on the prowl they usually respond. My sucess rate at getting them to come in is probably quite low. If you had a predator type call imitating a distressed animal you might do better.

The two we killed that I wrote about were out of a pack of maybe 8. It was hard to tell as they kept circling us in the willows and moaning all together. Finally we found a spot where they were crossing a creek and we could get time to draw a bead. One stood with it's tail showing after the crossing and then it returned back into the creek at about 125 yrds
and my guide put it away.

I was really gagging working on the two of them. They are so ripe, especially in their nether regions.

BcBob
11-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Just a reminder if you get one wear Rubber gloves when handling Wolfs.

killman
11-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Here is an idea. I think everyone on the site should challenge themsevles to go out and harvest at least one wolf this winter. And come back and post it here. :grin:

Slime green cat
11-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Just a reminder if you get one wear Rubber gloves when handling Wolfs.

I would regardless, but I am curious why ?? is there a particular disease that wolves carry ??
I wouldn't touch a coyote without gloves either ..

BearSniper
11-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Yes there is a disease you can get from harvested Wolves.

It's called Hydatid disease.

It's a worm that grows in their gut and comes form eating infected deer or moose.

The worm eggs on the fur, if contacted on human skin, can cause serious flu like symptoms: then brain damage, serious liver damage, and respiratory damage- then failure. That Wolf will make you pay for killing him-if you're not careful. It makes Lyme disease look like a pic nic.

ALWAYS , as with all game, wear disposable gloves when field dressing and wash your hands after. Or carry those disposable alcohol wipes for cleaning your hands before you pack up.

BearSniper
11-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Heres the link.

This is a good refresher for all hunters.:frown:

Be safe out there!

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/wldhealth/diseases_from_wildlife_safetymanual.pdf

BcBob
11-27-2008, 11:58 PM
I got this one two weeks ago not very big sure going to make a nice rug.

one-shot-wonder
11-28-2008, 09:35 AM
I was really gagging working on the two of them. They are so ripe, especially in their nether regions.

Tell me about it......The other night at the taxi's when he was skinning, the smell coming off these dogs was enough to raise the dead!
Makes skinning bears seem like a nice warm bath. :)

BcBob
11-29-2008, 09:29 PM
This one I posted had next to no smell at all. Seen another wolf up Montie. Wind blowing in my face at 30k with snow that wolf spoted me at over 300 yards. He lite out of there like you know what.

Pete
11-29-2008, 09:46 PM
no open season on wolves in reg.8

coach
11-29-2008, 09:48 PM
I shot one three years ago. Absolutely the worst smell I have ever experienced! Fortunately, my friend really wanted the rug done and already had his moose, so he worked hard to skin it out while I continued to hunt. I would suggest rubber gloves and a big bottle of dog shampoo if you plan on taking one for taxidermy.