PDA

View Full Version : xbow hunting in Kelowna

ktown
11-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey i was just wondering if it is ok to use a xbow in Kelowna on a orchard were i have talked to the owners and they are ok with me getting one of the three mulie bucks off his land?

stanway
11-25-2008, 01:02 PM
As far as I know it is not allowed with in the city boundaries..... "officially".

It used to be. A few years back I spoke with the CO and I had the green light from the farmer as well...the deer didn't cooperate though.

GoatGuy
11-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Call the CO to confirm. As far as I understand the only issue is with single projectile within the municipality - ie., shotgun with slug/firearm. After that refer to the requirement for distance in the Wildlife Act.

You should be fine with your xbow.

Good luck.

ktown
11-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks guys i will double check with the co.

Big Daddy Ryan
11-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Ktown let me know what you find out as I have wondered about bowhunting friends orchards that are in city limits as well.

Rubicon500
11-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Ive shot my bow in the back yard numerous times ? Dont see why it would be illegal. A guy I work with was shooting his Bow into the bank By Edith Gay Ball park untill a neighbor called the cops on him haha. Nothing ever happend, told him politely to shoot somewhere eles, before some sort of accident happens.

sparkymacker
11-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Ive shot my bow in the back yard numerous times ? Dont see why it would be illegal. A guy I work with was shooting his Bow into the bank By Edith Gay Ball park untill a neighbor called the cops on him haha. Nothing ever happend, told him politely to shoot somewhere eles, before some sort of accident happens.

Think about it, they don't even want to cull rabbits. How do you think deer running around town with arrows sticking out them would play?

Fisher-Dude
11-25-2008, 07:28 PM
I used to shoot ducks on the Mission Cr Greenway - I don't think that would go over too well these days! :shock:

Cops may be looking to see if you have liability insurance, and they may demand up to $5 million last I heard. :-?

Stone Sheep Steve
11-25-2008, 07:31 PM
I used to shoot ducks on the Mission Cr Greenway - I don't think that would go over too well these days! :shock:

That's on par with bowhunting geese in City Park:eek:.

SSS

Rubicon500
11-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Yeah you got a point, its getting pretty pathetic. Pretty soon a kid wont even be allowed to shoot a sling shot without some sort of liabiltly insurance. That whole rabbit cull is a joke, just kill the damm things. Everyday driving down the road you see at least 2 Flattend piles of fur where they werent quick enough to get across.

WoodOx
11-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Bow, compound or otherwise is fine.
Shotguns with multiple projectiles are fine.

Single projectiles (rifle or shotgun) are also fine, with a permit. They can be requestedand recieved through your local RCMP detachment with a very short application and proof of 2.5mill insurance coverage.

WoodOx
11-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Ive taken deer this way, and both times cleared it before hand from a CO.

Both times Greg told me as long as its buck shot its fine.

I havent done this in 2 years however, so maybe things changed...

Stone Sheep Steve
11-25-2008, 08:32 PM
I had heard that things were up for change. Maybe "the Shepherd" has completed the task to protect EVERYTHING within the city boundaries??:?:

SSS

rocksteady
11-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Cranbrook has a bylaw that you can not shot within City Limits - firearm/bow / pellet gun/slingshot/bb gun....Best check...

WoodOx
11-25-2008, 09:26 PM
thanks box - good thing ive only been using a bow this year :D

Stone Sheep Steve
11-26-2008, 04:40 AM
Here's one of the exceptions.

(vi) the discharge of a shotgun only, not using a single projectile, for a land owner or person acting on his/her authority on land over two (2) hectares in size for the protection of such land from animals or birds; or So if you're hunting on 2 hectares (with permission) and are far enough away from neighbouring buildings you're good to go...no??

SSS

GoatGuy
11-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Here's one of the exceptions.

(vi) the discharge of a shotgun only, not using a single projectile, for a land owner or person acting on his/her authority on land over two (2) hectares in size for the protection of such land from animals or birds; or So if you're hunting on 2 hectares (with permission) and are far enough away from neighbouring buildings you're good to go...no??

SSS

Perfect, now I know where I'm putting in for doe draws!!!!!!!