PDA

View Full Version : dissaponting trip

jerad
11-25-2008, 03:28 AM
went on sunday nov 23 to skagit area. cover everything from the medows by the border gate to all the new slashes.
went at high as the snow line. all we saw was some old moose calf sign and a LOT of people. includeing this one lady who had here 3 kids in her suv. "i would not tell you if i had seen any animals" she kept showing up every time we popped off a round.(we where bored and had seen nothing all day+about to go home)

all in all we saw some beutiful terrain that screamed deer and moose live here, but none did.
so i would say steer clear of skagit area,wast of time

hunter1947
11-25-2008, 04:39 AM
Join the club ,I'm in the same boat :biggrin:.

NaStY
11-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Join the club ,I'm in the same boat :biggrin:.

Yes but you have an elk in the freezer Wayne.....:biggrin:

pikey
11-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Ditto, thought I would give it a last try try there on the weekend, walked for a long way on a trail that lead all the way to manning below the snowline figured I was too low. Headed up the other side of the road and up into the snowline to see if there were any tracks....nada, nothing, zero, zilch.

Figured out of the truck and into the woods would produce at least some sign but no tracks, no scat, no rubs, no does.

Steeleco
11-25-2008, 10:40 AM
And the next guy that steps foot in the valley will be over run with creatures. That's hunting!!

I can tell you for certain, that valley holds some dandy deer. And Blacktails being what they are, won't be far!!

Barracuda
11-25-2008, 10:55 AM
go there in the snow and you will see deer tracks cats tracks and coytes tracks. it hold animals it is just really thick when the snow hits.

jerad
11-25-2008, 02:38 PM
it did snow that day.
it was snowing around 4am - 6 am

we did see one peice of fresh sign, bobcat poop fresh too

Ron.C
11-25-2008, 02:55 PM
yep, that's hunting. The spot I've been hunting seems to be getting worse everytime I go out, what do ya do? Find another spot I guess or try another day. As far as running into non-hunters that feel the need to harass hunters or make it known to you that they don't approve, a friendly smile in return and a civil "enjoy your day" seems to me to be the best way to shut these assholes up.

wolverine
11-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Last time I was up in that area I couldn't believe the amount of people that were there. It was snowing like crazy and there were more yahoos off the road in the ditches. It looked like a hunter's convention up at the lake. Now I know that there are big deer in there but you aren't going to find them anywhere close to the road. You gotta go back in the weeds a bit to find them, especially if it's snowing. I turned and got the hell out of there just because I didn't want to get shot. There was no way I would have walked into the bush that day if I was in Blaze Orange from head to toe.

jerad
11-25-2008, 08:32 PM
in other words......
FLEEEEEEE FROM SKAGIT AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

LOL:p:razz::eek::mrgreen:

redthorn
01-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Last time I was up in that area I couldn't believe the amount of people that were there. It was snowing like crazy and there were more yahoos off the road in the ditches. It looked like a hunter's convention up at the lake. Now I know that there are big deer in there but you aren't going to find them anywhere close to the road. You gotta go back in the weeds a bit to find them, especially if it's snowing. I turned and got the hell out of there just because I didn't want to get shot. There was no way I would have walked into the bush that day if I was in Blaze Orange from head to toe.

Yup, I can attest to that. Last year a buddy and I were out on the skyline trail on a slow day and so we figured we'd call for a bit. We got off the trail a ways and sat back to back against a deadfall. After a few calls and breaks, i saw just a flash of movement about 100yds through the thick stuff. I trained binos on the spot, but couldn't make it out, so buddy gives another low grunt. And some other guy, steps out from behind a tree with his rifle leveled and finger on the trigger. We froze, and then started yelling but didnt dare move. He muzzle-upped really fast and then sat down for a smoke. We talked a bit, and then hiked out. He was a really nice guy, and I'd met him in another region coming out with a nice BT the year before. He'd been hiking, and heard us and come in with high hopes. But all's well that ends well. Yes, he could have used binos first, but we've all been guilty of buck fever before.