PDA

View Full Version : Can I target practice with a family members gun?

RYY
11-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Hello,
I awas hoping someone could take pity on me and answer this question. While I am waiting for my 300 WSM to be delievered can I shot at the local range, a 22 caliber rifle that my father owns without him present?

Thank you
RYY

pinebushman
11-24-2008, 10:05 AM
If you have your pal, then I believe you can.

Bow Walker
11-24-2008, 10:05 AM
If you have a valid P.A.L. it is considered a 'borrowed' gun and should be OK. As far as I know, that is.

Steeleco
11-24-2008, 10:06 AM
OK I should learn to read :redface::redface:

If you have a PAL your good to go!!

Mr. Dean
11-24-2008, 10:06 AM
If you have a valid P.A.L. it is considered a 'borrowed' gun and should be OK. As far as I know, that is.
This is correct.

Rock Doctor
11-24-2008, 10:31 AM
My brother was stopped not long ago, while in possession of one of my firearms. He has his PAL, and some firearms of his own. Should have been fine, as far as I was concerned, but....
He was told that he requires a "written and dated letter of permission from me to be able to carry one of my firearms when I am not present". He was told that the firearm could be confiscated and that I would have to go get it back from them......
End result: They let him off with a warning.

I don't recall reading or hearing of this rule anywhere, but since it was the RCMP that told him about it, I guess it must be true ;).

Steeleco
11-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Lifted this from the CFC

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/info_for-renseignement/residents/presentation/sld028_e.asp

No mention of a lending letter?? But I'm looking!!

Mr. Dean
11-24-2008, 10:43 AM
My brother was stopped not long ago, while in possession of one of my firearms. He has his PAL, and some firearms of his own. Should have been fine, as far as I was concerned, but....
He was told that he requires a "written and dated letter of permission from me to be able to carry one of my firearms when I am not present". He was told that the firearm could be confiscated and that I would have to go get it back from them......
End result: They let him off with a warning.

I don't recall reading or hearing of this rule anywhere, but since it was the RCMP that told him about it, I guess it must be true ;).

As per a discussion I had w/ the Firearms Centre, this was also advised. I hadn't read it in the Act and this is the 1st I've ever heard of it being raised elsewhere.

Steeleco
11-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Just got off the phone with the CFC. There is "NO" requirement to carry anything other than your PAL and a copy of the registration certificate.

That RCMP member was either F.O.S. or doesn't know of what he speaks. I suppose the reason he gave a warning, is because there NO section in the criminal code to reference a ticket too. Sure it's not a bad idea to have a letter, but what if the next clown want's it notarized? Where does it stop.

Once again it's clowns like this that give a bad name to all the good LEO's Rant over!!!

Wolfman
11-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Just make sure you have your PAL along with ya ;-)

Wolfman

Crazy.kayaker
11-24-2008, 11:27 AM
have your pal and the registration ticket. The Registration does not have the name and once they see that they should just leave you be as you can only get the registration from the owner as most criminals wouldn't think to grab it.

Steeleco
11-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Also FWIW, the original registration sheet can be photo copied and left whole.
I've done that since they were sent out 10 years ago. I use 3" Mylar tape and do a home laminate job on the copies. 110% Legal.

Mr. Dean
11-24-2008, 02:12 PM
As per a discussion I had w/ the Firearms Centre, this was also advised. I hadn't read it in the Act and this is the 1st I've ever heard of it being raised elsewhere.

Just got off the phone with the CFC. There is "NO" requirement to carry anything other than your PAL and a copy of the registration certificate.

That RCMP member was either F.O.S. or doesn't know of what he speaks. I suppose the reason he gave a warning, is because there NO section in the criminal code to reference a ticket too. Sure it's not a bad idea to have a letter, but what if the next clown want's it notarized? Where does it stop.

Once again it's clowns like this that give a bad name to all the good LEO's Rant over!!!

Hold the phone!

As noted, the CFC generates conflicting info also. You and I have gotten exact opposite opinions from them. Remember, these people aren't factual interpreters of the law. They're just people on a salary pushing paper who *should* have better knowledge than us, depending how long they've worked there AND how much info their brains soak up. :tongue:

I can't find anything about a lending letter either..... Just proof of regi - FWIW.

behemoth
11-24-2008, 02:19 PM
You need to carry the registration certificate with the gun???:shock:
I've never done this

goatdancer
11-24-2008, 02:33 PM
You need to carry the registration certificate with the gun???:shock:
I've never done this

They can bust you if you don't have it with you. Any overzealous Wyatt Earp wannabe will do just that. You can laminate the original so it doesn't get all ratty. Ends up about the size of a credit card.

Mr. Dean
11-24-2008, 02:44 PM
IIRC, it wasn't something that was goin to be enforced by the RC's. All they have to do is run serial # and look at PAL.... 1+1=2

mijinkal
11-24-2008, 03:35 PM
They can bust you if you don't have it with you. Any overzealous Wyatt Earp wannabe will do just that. You can laminate the original so it doesn't get all ratty. Ends up about the size of a credit card.

I didn't see anywhere on my registration papers that said that I needed to accompany it with the firearm at all times. so, I've chosen not to carry it with me. If they want to check the registration, they can put the serial number in their computer to verify it.

RYY
11-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Thank you all for your input. At this point I am considering my self only mildly confused. I have a sister in law who is an RCMP constable I will drop her a line and see if she can help me out any. I will let you know how I make out.

Thanx
RYY

TimberPig
11-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Thank you all for your input. At this point I am considering my self only mildly confused. I have a sister in law who is an RCMP constable I will drop her a line and see if she can help me out any. I will let you know how I make out.

Thanx
RYY

Do you have a PAL? I guess so since you are waiting on a 300 WSM to arrive.

If so, take the gun, and your PAL and go shoot. This lending letter BS is something a cop made up out of their head. It is not in the law.

I will bet your sister in law does not know either, as very few RCMP officers know the laws they are charged with enforcing very well, especially when it comes to firearms law.

RYY
11-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Timberpig,
In my origianl question I wanted to know if I could transport and discharge my fathers 22 calibre rifle at the local range. Do you have any experience with that scenario? Thank you to all of those that have provided input.

RYY

RYY
11-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Hello all,
i just got off the phone with Bob Turple who is the Provincial Fire arms officer working under the RCMP. I posed the same question to him, his reply was," as long as I have my PAL and a copy of the guns registration(my father gun, not mine) I can transport and discharge that gun for target practice or hunting. With my gun being registered to me there is no need for me to carry the registration with me".

That was fun.

Thanks agian,

RYY

Steeleco
11-25-2008, 10:36 AM
The plot thickens!! For years the CFC has told everyone to carry your cert with you when carrying a firearm, they equated it to driving a car with it's papers. Now this fellow tells you something completely different. Does ANYONE really know what the rules are?

Was quite the question you asked RYY, we're getting quite the education:eek::eek:

Steeleco
11-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Taken moments ago from the CFC web site.

Q. Do I need to carry my licence and registration certificates with me when I take my firearms out hunting? The Criminal Code states that you must be able to produce a valid licence and registration certificate for the inspection of a peace officer if you have a firearm in your possession. If you do not have these documents with you, the peace officer may seize the firearms. If that was the only reason the firearms were seized, and you can produce the required documents for inspection within 14 days, the police are required to return the firearms to you.
And they wonder why the average guy hasn't F#$$%$G clue.

Mr. Dean
11-25-2008, 10:54 AM
As with any legal question we get here, it always boils down to how a person interps it..... Joe Citizen and Paper-Pushers alike, and these opinions matter not. It's the opinion of a Judge that matters.

As with any questionable feeling; you proceed on what makes your comfort level, comfortable. A PAL and the regi of a borrowed gun meets my criteria. IMO the cert would suffice as a 'lending letter' for those that 'feel' is needed. If it were insisted, I'd say pony up the regulation because I *think* it doesn't exist.

The only doc's I carry for MY stuff, is for restricteds.