PDA

View Full Version : 5 X 5 Black Tail

cloverphil
11-23-2008, 10:01 PM
So we're on our way driving back down the hill when we come around the corner and there he is, standing on the road. My partner steps out the passenger door to take aim and click, misfire. He reloads and boom, missed. The buck turns his head to look behind him where the bullet hit the dirt and then looks back at us again. He didn't even flinch while he reloaded and the third try dropped him. 7mm Rem. Mag. Only the second buck I've ever seen and the first one in the back of my truck and he was too heavy for me to lift alone. Peter's in the picture with . . .

Gateholio
11-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Looks like a great BT,do you have any more pics of it?

Steeleco
11-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Thumbnails should be illegal!! But nice going on the BT, it appears they are falling a little more frequently of late. We're you east or west of Cloverdale when you tagged him?

bsa30-06
11-23-2008, 10:11 PM
congrats a 5x5 thats awesome,got anymore pictures of him.

Shermdog
11-23-2008, 10:13 PM
beauty buck!!! 3rd shots a charm!

Elkhound
11-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Thumbnails should be illegal!!

I agree...anyway of making that a little larger

cloverphil
11-23-2008, 10:40 PM
That's the first picture I've ever posted so I'm not sure how to make it larger yet, sorry. The buck is from the East side of Harrison lake last Sunday about 11:35 am

Dirty
11-23-2008, 10:41 PM
So you got him at Hicks Lake?

Steeleco
11-23-2008, 10:45 PM
That's the first picture I've ever posted so I'm not sure how to make it larger yet, sorry. The buck is from the East side of Harrison lake last Sunday about 11:35 am

you can upload them into your gallery here on the site, or use an online service like photobucket or flicker. Or send them to steeleco@telus.net and I'll do it for you!!

So you got him at Hicks Lake?

From your tree stand obviously, :roll: I gotta find that damned stand too!!

BSA, see they do exist, I've been tellin ya!!!

Will
11-23-2008, 10:51 PM
And to think everyone on here had me convinced you had to traverse mountains, swim rivers & hack through jungles to shoot a decent Blackie:rolleyes:
:lol:

Looks like a Great Buck ! Congrats :cool:

cloverphil
11-23-2008, 11:00 PM
It wasn't Hicks Lake but it sure was easy to drive up beside him to put him in the truck, just stop, shoot, park, and load. Does it always happen like this ? Like I said, first buck in my truck, and I've never even tried deer meat, just moose. This was only my second hunting trip since getting my licence. I've done a lot of scouting by my self but have no idea where to look other than trying every backroad in the mapbook.

Shooter
11-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Well IMO Blacktail is a way better eating deer than a muley. I havent tried whitey so I can't comment on those but MMM MMM MMM Blackies are delicious. And no they arent very often right in the middle of the road. Usally its a nasty nasty drag out of a slash, even when road hunting. At least thats the way it is around here.

BTW great deer, congrats.

hunter1947
11-24-2008, 04:29 AM
Your lucky to come around a corner and there is a big buck standing there ,wish that would happen to me sometime.

I would like to see a bigger pic of this BT deer ??.

Looks like it is a big deer you got ,congrats to you.

bsa30-06
11-24-2008, 04:42 PM
BSA, see they do exist, I've been tellin ya!!![/quote]

David i knew as soon as i read that east harrison comment i would be readin a comment from you, i have to admit that one hurt.All the time i have invested in that place and never even seen a buck in there in 5 years.

bsa30-06
11-24-2008, 04:45 PM
It wasn't Hicks Lake but it sure was easy to drive up beside him to put him in the truck, just stop, shoot, park, and load. Does it always happen like this ?

Ah yes , yes it does....every time....stupid deer.
In case you cant tell i'm kidding, congrats again on an awesome blacktail.

goatdancer
11-24-2008, 04:51 PM
It should read "just stop, shoot 3 times, park, and load":mrgreen:

That's a nice buck. Your first one should be a 'drive-by shooting'. Then you figure it's a piece of cake and buy more tags every year.

stixnstones
11-24-2008, 05:13 PM
nice work.dont be fooled by your success these bt s are hard to get.you geting a head mount done? once again congrats

treekiller
12-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Got a nice 4 point last Sunday at Harrison ,east side.

TIKA 300
12-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Got a nice 4 point last Sunday at Harrison ,east side.

You must have been the ones i was talking to,with the trucks backed up together and the 4 point in the back of 1......

Congrats and welcome.

nano
12-03-2008, 09:32 PM
going on the east side of harrison this weekend. think there are some bucks left. and nice bt.

115 or bust
12-03-2008, 10:14 PM
It wasn't Hicks Lake but it sure was easy to drive up beside him to put him in the truck, just stop, shoot, park, and load. Does it always happen like this ? Like I said, first buck in my truck, and I've never even tried deer meat, just moose. This was only my second hunting trip since getting my licence. I've done a lot of scouting by my self but have no idea where to look other than trying every backroad in the mapbook.

Lol I hope your joking but to put it bluntly no it doesn't always happen like this. I've been hunting blacktails for 13 years putting in a lot of effort and growing up in the shadows of a lot of great hunters and this year was the first time I've ever seen a good buck shot off the road and I think it was around my 35th day in the field.

115 or bust
12-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Sorry also Congrats thats an awesome buck welcome to the sport and good luck topping that one :D

porcupine
12-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Really nice buck. Congrats!

1/2 slam
12-04-2008, 09:03 PM
going on the east side of harrison this weekend. think there are some bucks left. and nice bt.

Nope, none, all gone.

sneg
12-04-2008, 09:47 PM
congrats .nice buck.yep sometimes they just wait for you on side of the road.

ElectricDyck
12-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Congrats! I'd love a bigger picture to see what it actually looks like!

Tarp Man
12-05-2008, 09:39 AM
You must be walking pretty gingerly with that honkin' big horseshoe up your a??. That is pretty lucky. But that is how it goes. Congratulations, and seriously consider getting that taxi'd. A 4 point blacktail is something most guys rarely see, let alone shoot. Again, congratulations on a great deer. But expect your next one to be a good 5km from your truck in the pouring rain or blowing snow!

Seabass
12-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Gave him a couple of warning shots eh?:razz: Nice buck

Cheers

Seabass

12-05-2008, 10:58 AM
From a previous Cloverite to Cloverphil !!

Nice buck for your first !

You've been spoiled .... but congrats !

Nice to see luck shine on a new deer hunter, you'll probably never get one easier then that congrats again.
CT

PS had to get out of that busy little town grown big.