PDA

View Full Version : Region 2 buck down "My first deer" dont laugh

NoLimit99
11-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Well guys all the scouting and patience paid off. I also owe Larry from this site a huge thanks for taking me on a day trip with him to one of his locations in region 2 to try and get me my first mule deer. We didn't see or connect with any thing that day but great learning experience non the less.

Any who now to the good stuff.

I went back to the spot larry showed me early this morning left the house at 6am, nov 23/08 knowing a buck was around. I plotted out what my best plan of attack for this buck would be, and stuck with it. I decided I would leave early especially with frost on the ground. I sat up in a patch of clustered trees that were on a small hill and got comfy for another long day. "Was the best advantage point to cover 2 of the 3 spots he could poke his head out of". I hunkered down at 7:30am and did some doe calls, no luck waited for a bit then tried some buck grunts wait I thought I heard some thing so I stopped and looked in front of me and then all around me but still nothing. Oh well, I'm hearing things. So about 30mins later I did some more buck grunts and then glanced again in front still nothing, I slowly looked all around me and then BAM a buck was about to walk into some bushes behind me and I wasn't about to let that happen so I slowly swung around and a branch breaks beside me. I think F**k I blew it but it didn't faze him he kept on walking. He had another 5 or six more steps and he's free so I grabbed my .30-06 rifle swung around pointed my rifle, verified my shot and bang buck down, he didn't take another step he dropped right there and then and quickly to "time of death 8am". WOW that has to be the best adrenaline rush I've ever felt. Now for some pics it's my first deer so no razzing me on it..

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/nolimit99/102_2139.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/nolimit99/102_2135.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/nolimit99/102_2136.jpg

Will
11-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Great Lil Blackie ! Lots of fellas would be downright pleased to snag that fella....nevermind for your 1st !

Way to Go & Congrats ! 8-)

Anybody laughs at that...needs a kick in the pills ;-)

nomad
11-23-2008, 08:33 PM
congrats on the buck! very nice for your first! Way to not give up on the calls! I'm new to this also and have already had great response to calls and scents!!

PGK
11-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Nothin to laugh at there! Good lookin buck!

killman
11-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Why do you think anyone would laugh? That's a great buck first or last.

Ride
11-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Nice deer! That's a great first buck that i doubt anyone here would not think about taking let alone laugh at.

NoLimit99
11-23-2008, 08:54 PM
I've seen alot of posts about other peoples bucks being so jelouse thinking man that's nice 5x5 with alot of kickers, or others with really long tines massive in size and great colour. Although Im very pleased with my buck especially being my first one. The tines on mine are smaller but non the less it's a 3x3 and he's mine..lol I enjoyed every moment of the hunt

3kills
11-23-2008, 08:59 PM
congrats on an awesome first buck

twoSevenO
11-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Nice ... at what elevation did you get this guy?
I was out on the west side of harrsion and didn't have any luck. Didn't even like hte area i was in, but it was a good scouting trip nonetheless. There was tons of snow out that way.

NoLimit99
11-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Couldn't tell ya the exact elevation wasn't that high up though. I dont have a hand held gps so i couldn't tell ya, it's on my christmas list...lol

I my self have done a lot of scouting in diffrent areas and didn't like most of them. Have had a lot of long borring days though. Least ya have a bit of snow.. good for tracking and seeing if there is any activity in that area of yours. Dont give up it's all part of the game im sure the rest would agree they call it luck for a reason.

Thanks for all the congrats from every one

TIKA 300
11-23-2008, 09:16 PM
That for sure is a keeper,congrats.

bruin
11-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Are you kidding me! Do you know how long I've been trying to kill a blacktail bigger than a two point. Nice buck, way to go

cainer
11-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Looks yummy-nice work!

betteroffishing
11-23-2008, 09:28 PM
no shame there, kind like a skinny girl at a jenny craig meeting complaining she's fat. nice pics

winbuckhunter
11-23-2008, 09:31 PM
beautiful looking buck man.. hes prolly got one of the nicest capes i've see in a while.. if you're not gonna mount him i would almost save that cape or sell it to a taxidermist.. great looking animal.. cangrats on you first buck!!

winbuck

kayjayess
11-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Congrats bud. Great first buck

bsa30-06
11-23-2008, 09:40 PM
well after 5 plus years of lookin for a region 2 buck, i would pretty damn pleased with that buck.Congrats on a fine buck , region 2 doesn't give up many and you got a nice one.

LeverActionJunkie
11-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Great buck congratulations and welcome to the brotherhood. :)

dunbartr
11-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Nice buck. I agree about the cape, beautiful. A true black-tail, with a neat black fore-head!!!

Johnnybear
11-23-2008, 11:16 PM
That is a great buck dude! Be very proud that you got that one as your first!!! Someone said great little Blacktail well all I can say is Blacktails are little:-D. Most folks shoot spikers as there first Blacktail. You should be damn proud boy!!!! Great photos too.

Dirty
11-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Beauty buck did you get it at Hicks Lake?

One Shot
11-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Congrats to you with your first R2 deer, its a goodun......:grin:

Lots of cudos go out to Larry who took the time and effort to take you out and show you an area.:grin:

NoLimit99
11-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Thanks guys

The reason why I said dont laugh is because my hunting buddy who also hasn't got a deer yet this year laughed when I brought it to his house for skinning. Said it was a smaller one so being my first wasn't to sure what I should expect. When I got it I was proud and thought now that is a half decent deer until my buddy commented like that. I guess you can call it jealousy because he was suppose to join me on that hunt. Oh well my luck and his misfortune I guess.

As for the hicks lake comment no didn't harvest it out there wouldn't mind though checking that area out.
And yes kudos big time to Larry we need more people like him who's seasoned to take us newbi's out and see and teach what it's all about. "THANKS AGAIN LARRY"

hunter1947
11-24-2008, 04:21 AM
Nice buck N99 ,very nice deer for your first buck ,congrats.

303Fan
11-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Thats a beauty for a blacktail too bad i was feeling to crappy to go on Sunday.At least you got to connect with him was he at the same spot we thought he would be?
As for the elevation it,s about 800 meters i know Darryl will be a little pissed for not going hahaha.
Larry.

kennyj
11-24-2008, 06:35 AM
Are you kidding me? Thats an awesome first buck!You're hooked now!
kenny

cmc destroyer
11-24-2008, 06:46 AM
Hey, thats a great buck, you should be proud. Congratulations

stanway
11-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Nice blacktail - congratulations. I would be very happy with that.

I was out yesterday as well, and didn't see deer all day. Oh well, maybe next week.

pinebushman
11-24-2008, 10:16 AM
sure not laughing! great buck! I am still waiting for mine. Hoping to connect soon on a get away with my nine year old.

Salty
11-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Dandy blacktail NL99. Really neat markings too...

The reason why I said dont laugh is because my hunting buddy who also hasn't got a deer yet this year laughed when I brought it to his house for skinning. Said it was a smaller one "

Your buddy seems a little confused about Columbia blacktail deer ;-)

NoLimit99
11-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Larry I figured it would be to tough to go down in there for him in that little valley, so I waited and called for him at the very top of the hill in that patch of trees. I used them as cover and called him out. He came down wind of me. Do you remember were we thought he ran off from us at the top there, well that's were he walked out of kinda caught me off guard. Ya Darryl will be choked im sure of it, it could have been any one of ours.

Thats a beauty for a blacktail too bad i was feeling to crappy to go on Sunday.At least you got to connect with him was he at the same spot we thought he would be?
As for the elevation it,s about 800 meters i know Darryl will be a little pissed for not going hahaha.
Larry.

porcupine
11-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Wow! A nice 4x4 Blacktail for a first buck! I'd be d--- proud! Nice going!
________
Mercury Brougham (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mercury_Brougham)

bckev
11-24-2008, 01:15 PM
nice buck congatulations

MOWITCH SLAYER
11-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Way to go ! Ive never seen a blackie never mind shoot one. Good meat for the table and a good kill , from here it is better and better
congrats, Dave

goatdancer
11-24-2008, 02:04 PM
He's a beaut. Gotta agree with an earlier post about having him mounted. He's got awesome colouration. Would look great on the wall. Congrats.

As far as your buddy goes - he who laughs last laughs best.....

NoLimit99
11-24-2008, 02:12 PM
I must say I love the quote, he who laughs last laughs best "aint that the truth" I keep on saying to myself inside i've got mine he doesn't have his...lol. I would never say that though as its rude and wrong but you are right.

I must also say when I approached my deer my heart skipped a beat because I almost thought for a spit second I shot a white tail deer then I looked at the antlers and at the tail a third time and at the antlers again and reasured myself I didn't poach. Is that a typical antler look for a 3x3 mule deer kinda looks like a white tail rack?

He's a beaut. Gotta agree with an earlier post about having him mounted. He's got awesome colouration. Would look great on the wall. Congrats.

As far as your buddy goes - he who laughs last laughs best.....

KevinB
11-24-2008, 05:00 PM
That's a nice blacktail you got there! and it is a lot bigger than most hunter's first deer. Sure a lot bigger than mine. Congrats!

MichelD
11-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Congratulations!

I've been actively hunting since 1968 and I've never called a deer in yet. Good start!

I don't even know what a proper buck grunt sounds like.

Buckwheat
11-24-2008, 05:10 PM
as long as its legal i would take it any day:lol::lol::lol::lol:. congrats on your first, mine was a small 2x2:-):-). yours has a nice typical rack.

buckwheat!!!

greasysidedown
11-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Nice BT. Where'd you hit it? In the foot.:)

300H&H
11-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Thats a great first buck ! Congrats.

NoLimit99
11-24-2008, 06:55 PM
lol :-P no I didn't hit him in the foot if you look at the pic with the spent round look a little up and to the right you will see were the hair has a wet spot, got him directly in the kill spot the top part of his heart exploded on impact that's why he dropped right there. I took a pic of his heart as well not that ya want to see it because I was impressed myself with the shot I took.

If ya wanna see more pics check out my photo bucket pics the heart is listed in there...lol if the link doesn't work let me know and i'll fix it.

http://s452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/nolimit99/

Nice BT. Where'd you hit it? In the foot.:)

Browningmirage
11-24-2008, 08:10 PM
very handsome little buck, great colour

303Fan
11-24-2008, 08:23 PM
I was just looking at the one i got last year almost looks like yours:mrgreen:
http://www3.telus.net/huntbc/3pt3.jpg

NoLimit99
11-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Oh ya totally yours though has bigger tines.

I was just looking at the one i got last year almost looks like yours:mrgreen:

NoLimit99
11-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Larry just brought to my attention when I called him that this couldn't have been the buck that's been doing all the aggressive rubbing up there. His antlers are to clean for all the rubs so I think I should buy another tag and see if I can get his older brother :razz:.

dunbartr
11-25-2008, 12:12 AM
I swear by that call the "Primos hands free" buck and doe grunt/bleat. Works really good on mulies, and keeps WT's attention just long enough. Plus it is a variable type call for buck/doe sounds, and the hands free is fantastic for when you have your rifle up.

Ovis17
11-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Congrats on your first buck!! Nice looking blacktail!!

NoLimit99
11-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Ya people have been telling me dont worry about calls or scent elim, but ya know what for how cheap they are and what they might/could do for your success I think it's worth it. I give credit to my primo's call and the scent elim i put on after I got out of my vehicle I believe that it helped in getting this deer because he did come from down wind of me.

muley kid
11-25-2008, 07:13 PM
nice blacky.. nothing wrong with that congrats