PDA

View Full Version : Succesfull Cow elk

Alpine Addict
11-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Well My dad drew a cow elk draw for 4-08 C. Let me tell you, a hard place to hunt! There is alot of private land and lots of them anti's. Long story short, after a day of hunting we decided to stop in and talk to a CO. he gave us a ranchers number who was very helpfull! We thought he would just point us in the right direction, but he hunted with us for 2 days! He was a big help, the second morning he set my dad and I up about 3 km apart. At around 7:30 dad shot his cow. They came right up the draw, just like the rancher said. It was his first ever big game animal, which is pretty cool to have it be an elk! I also passed up a 2 point whitetail, not wanting to spook the elk.

I never realized how much work it would be! I have done deer and bear, but this is a whole new level! Good learning experience though

Me with dad's elk
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc350/Alpine_Addict/Princeton059.jpg

Salty
11-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Nice, congrads to your dad. Sounds you like you met a good guy in that rancher. Lots of good eating there. :cool:

LeverActionJunkie
11-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Congratulations that will be great eats. Maybe send that rancher some not every day a guy is that helpful.

Alpine Addict
11-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I've only tried elk once, so im looking forward to a roast, maybe some mashed potatoes too.

We gave him a quarter of his choosing. he took the back left.

I think I got the bug. nothing like seeing 30+ elk come streaming by you 100 yards away, all calling to eachother.!

TIKA 300
11-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Congrats on the elk to your dad,and thats sweet the rancher helped that much.....

Hoytster
11-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Congrats to you and your dad on his first big game animal.....this rancher should definately get kudos and a big HBC handshake for making this possible....now if more ranchers could be as helpful! Have had many great hunts myself with permission from other ranchers on their properties.

11-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Well My dad drew a cow elk draw for 4-08 C. Let me tell you, a hard place to hunt! There is alot of private land and lots of them anti's. Long story short, after a day of hunting we decided to stop in and talk to a CO. he gave us a ranchers number who was very helpfull! We thought he would just point us in the right direction, but he hunted with us for 2 days! He was a big help, the second morning he set my dad and I up about 3 km apart. At around 7:30 dad shot his cow. They came right up the draw, just like the rancher said. It was his first ever big game animal, which is pretty cool to have it be an elk! I also passed up a 2 point whitetail, not wanting to spook the elk.

I never realized how much work it would be! I have done deer and bear, but this is a whole new level! Good learning experience though

Me with dad's elk
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc350/Alpine_Addict/Princeton059.jpg

It's great to meet a landowner like that. I would imagine he suffers a lot of wildlife damage on his crops and has a stake in hunting success. This is the type of contact one has to cultivate and befriend on a personal level for future hunting opportunities. It will be mutually beneficial arrangement. It will give you a place to hunt, and it will give the landowner a hunter group he is comfortable with and he knows will respect his holdings and infrastructure. Good job.

hunter1947
11-24-2008, 05:08 AM
Alpine A that cow elk will melt in your mouth ,you can't get meat any better then this cow elk ,congrats to you and your dad on a successfull hunt.

sawmill
11-24-2008, 05:12 AM
I wonder if that was Jelvis`s rancher?