PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Hunters - Chime In?

WoodOx
11-23-2008, 03:26 PM

sorry nvm

Kechika
11-23-2008, 03:37 PM
LOL

Can you say"Race to the rams"

WoodOx
11-23-2008, 03:49 PM
the issue throughout that entire hike area?

boxhitch
11-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Sputter, sputter, cough, cough, die.
A realistic question from a questioning member, and no support ??
Says something about sheep hunters don't it ?
The very reason pressure is up in known areas is because no one wants to talk about 'secret' spots, trying to protect what ? MY ram?
There are also unhunted populations in reg 6 and 7, cuz its hard.
A G , Colt is a popular drop off spot, there are rams in the area. The G/O has a camp there.

bridger
11-25-2008, 12:56 PM
can't open this thread but am interested in the story can anyone fill me in thanks

bigwhiteys
11-25-2008, 01:00 PM
A realistic question from a questioning member, and no support ?? Says something about sheep hunters don't it ?

I am guessing that since Andrew removed his own post he either

A: received the info he needed via PM.
B: was scolded for sharing someones secret spot and removed it...lol.

Carl

boxhitch
11-25-2008, 01:14 PM
I hope AG chimes back in, this has potential !
I see no reason for his 'Sorry', especially if directed at Kechika.....stm

WoodOx
11-25-2008, 08:26 PM
I was asking a question about an area that i didnt want posted on here in retrospect.

I am trying to do a bit more research before this sheep hunt as opposed to last one. I tried an 'unpressured' area, only to find there was a reason it was unpressured - there was no (virtually) sheep!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Probably better places to learn some sheep spots than on a public forum.

WSSBC banquet is perhaps a better spot.......just bring your cheque book:-D

SSS

boxhitch
11-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Where was your last attempt, A ? Hunters have been skunked at Colt, too.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-25-2008, 08:37 PM

I would imagine hunters have been skunked at all the best spots in the province...........we're all in good company.:smile:

SSS

358mag
11-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Skunked at Colt Lake ??? dont remeber seeing any "Skunks" there just a Yellow Beaver float plane in and out 2-3 times a day bring in lots of resident hunters .

bigwhiteys
11-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I am trying to do a bit more research before this sheep hunt as opposed to last one. I tried an 'unpressured' area, only to find there was a reason it was unpressured - there was no (virtually) sheep!

If you can land a plane in the area expect the country within 1 or 2 days hike to get hunted hard. The area you've mentioned has been brought up on the site on previous occasions so it's nothing new. Personally I have not ever hunted it therefor could not provide any helpful info.

Your young and if you can put a few days hiking in you can get into some good sheep country without horses or a plane spend that fly-in money on some good glass ;)

Carl

11-25-2008, 10:04 PM
I would imagine hunters have been skunked at all the best spots in the province...........we're all in good company.:smile:SSS

Got skunked at Moody......twice.....!

boxhitch
11-25-2008, 10:53 PM
If you can land a plane in the area expect the country within 1 or 2 days hike to get hunted hard.
Hunted ? Yes. Hard ? Not many lakes get more presssure than the few on the most popular top ten list. But when most hunters are usng those few spots the pressure adds up.
Good thing there are better choices for good rams. And most will never know about them.

Dirty
11-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Hunted ? Yes. Hard ? Not many lakes get more presssure than the few on the most popular top ten list. But when most hunters are usng those few spots the pressure adds up.
Good thing there are better choices for good rams. And most will never know about them.

Care to elaborate? :biggrin:

budismyhorse
11-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Several of my sheep hunter friends hunt these "popular" spots a few weeks later than the opener and find that they are allllllll alone. Except for sheep....Maybe try that approach?

GoatGuy
11-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Skunked at Colt Lake ??? dont remeber seeing any "Skunks" there just a Yellow Beaver float plane in and out 2-3 times a day bring in lots of resident hunters .

Those were fishermen!:smile:

GoatGuy
11-26-2008, 09:03 AM
If you can land a plane in the area expect the country within 1 or 2 days hike to get hunted hard. The area you've mentioned has been brought up on the site on previous occasions so it's nothing new. Personally I have not ever hunted it therefor could not provide any helpful info.

I don't know about hunted hard.

Lake we were in hasn't seen a resident in a couple years. Didn't hear a plane or see a person/horse in 10 days.

Haven't flown 7B too many times but most of region 6 sees no pressure other than a couple of hotspots and those are generally from hikers/boaters.

Plenty of water out there.

44inchStone
11-26-2008, 11:14 AM
As most of you have said.....these lakes posted are no secret to anyone. They are ALL pounded quite hard throughout the season not only from residents but GO's as well.
Guys are flying into these lakes based on word of mouth and doing little homework of their own. It also seems that many pilots like to "Talk alot" when it comes to the suggestion of what lake to shoot what one.
Yes I have flown into many lakes and have also seen the same plane bring in 6 more hunters. Have also seen other planes drop off yet more guys on to the same lake. As many as 12 guys trying to hunt the same area.
Is this good for the sheep? NO The pilot thinks it good business for him but many will not return to the same lake the following year based on being unsuccessful.
If I plan a sheep trip into a different area, I do MANY days of homework and preparation. Sheep obsessed I'd say.
There are so many places to hunt sheep in the province, you just have to be willing to work hard at it and keep pushing forward.
You can still be successful if others are in the same area, you just have to think like a sheep!
Shoot straight!
44inchStone

budismyhorse
11-26-2008, 11:33 AM
...It also seems that many pilots like to "Talk alot" when it comes to the suggestion of what lake to shoot what one....

Lately, I've noticed the pilots seem to be yapping a little more than usual. Trying to really drum up that flying in is the only way to ensure a big ram:roll:.
They are kind of hurting lately with the higher prices scaring people off.

Hopefully they are buying up a lot of fuel right now and keep the prices reasonable for the 2009 flights.

boxhitch
11-26-2008, 01:09 PM
If I plan a sheep trip into a different area, I do MANY days of homework and preparation.
44, I bet you don't start out cold. you at least have a name to use as a point of reference for research, right ?
There is no literature out there that lists names, CI reports are not public (due to influence) , and good luck just going to Google Earth and trying to determine Ram habitat.
It starts out with name-dropping. And whisky.

boxhitch
11-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Lately, I've noticed the pilots seem to be yapping a little more than usual
Each is different. Some try to help a Resi out, maybe to avoid other hunters, other pilots try to co-ordinate flights to one lake for economic reasons. Another just goes where he is told, another won't because of influence.

Record books may be a source of info, but how many sheep were really killed on the Turnagain or Gataga Rivers. ?

Dirty
11-26-2008, 01:37 PM
There are many creative ways to find locations to hunt, you just have to use your noggin'. I bet you within an hour of research on the internet I can come up with a half dozen places to hunt. Whether these places see a lot of hunting pressure is another story. Think hiking forums, tourist information, and etc. It won't take you long to drum up a few areas. Another thing is being in the right place at the right time and mentioning the right thing. You meet up with an older friend of a friend that is too old to hunt sheep any more or lost interest in hunting all together. Pretty soon you find out that they have shot a lot of sheep and are willing to give you lots of information that is no longer of any use to them. I have been fortunate this way. I guess using the information you collect is a risk, but it may pay off in a big way. You cannot take away experience, the more you try the more you learn.

GoatGuy
11-26-2008, 01:55 PM
It also seems that many pilots like to "Talk alot" when it comes to the suggestion of what lake to shoot what one.
Yes I have flown into many lakes and have also seen the same plane bring in 6 more hunters. Have also seen other planes drop off yet more guys on to the same lake. As many as 12 guys trying to hunt the same area.
Is this good for the sheep? NO The pilot thinks it good business for him but many will not return to the same lake the following year based on being unsuccessful.

Some pilots are pro resident, some don't care, some fly for guides, some won't fly for guides.

Most of the guys are really good - they'll manage who and when they fly folks in.

358mag
11-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Those were fishermen!:smile:
Fishermen ??????? Didnt know that Colt Lake had any fish in it.

WoodOx
11-26-2008, 11:33 PM
ive not a problem with doing any amount of homework to find a decently unhunted spot.

obviously not asking you direction, but care to tell how and what sorts of homework you do?

As most of you have said.....these lakes posted are no secret to anyone. They are ALL pounded quite hard throughout the season not only from residents but GO's as well.
Guys are flying into these lakes based on word of mouth and doing little homework of their own. It also seems that many pilots like to "Talk alot" when it comes to the suggestion of what lake to shoot what one.
If I plan a sheep trip into a different area, I do MANY days of homework and preparation. Sheep obsessed I'd say.
There are so many places to hunt sheep in the province, you just have to be willing to work hard at it and keep pushing forward.
You can still be successful if others are in the same area, you just have to think like a sheep!
Shoot straight!
44inchStone

riflebuilder
11-27-2008, 06:40 AM
One flyin to a lake 5 hunters two rams, (not me had a broken foot) the fishing was assume welll worth the trip. One jet boat trip saw rams none harvested 14 days of soaking rain. Had my boys with me a tough trip but would go again in a heart beat.