PDA

View Full Version : Hunting 3-19

kamloops killer
09-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Been out hunting in Region 319 and saw 19 cow moose. none having calves with them. Does anybody else find this weird, or is it like this all over? Or is it that all the bulls are being killed off? Is it time to start worrying? Can we rely on the government system to make sure that there's always game in our area? Could the first nations' kill be affecting the government's monitoring of the game in the area because they don't report their kill?

Freshtracks
09-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Ouch :eek: 19 cow moose and not one calf or immature hanging with em is disturbing. Maybe this requires a email asking questions to the Kamloops branch?

I'll assume your bull count wasn't that great and/or non existance?

BlacktailStalker
09-25-2005, 08:38 PM
http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php?photo=844&sort=1&cat=511&page=3

Watch that link. I'm sure the 160,000-200,000 black bears in B.C have something to do with it!

shoot to kill
09-25-2005, 08:42 PM
first nations POACHING in that area is a big problem, i witnessed them kill 2 nice young bulls last year there, it was sickening.

3kills
10-03-2005, 05:02 PM
if its first nations shootin 2 nice bulls how is it poaching???

ex bc guide
10-03-2005, 05:40 PM
I was moose hunting in dawson last 2 weeks of september and I only seen 2 sets of cow calfs.I did see lots of dry cows and lots of bull moose that were not legal.
Mike

Jelvis
05-11-2008, 08:56 PM
For bulls you might have to hunt with your legs more and look into the bush around where you see the cows cause bulls hide a little deeper in the shadows of the surrounding bushes. It is kinda wierd you seeing all those cows in one day? Native hunters don't just have to kill bulls they can shoot cows or calves so I don't know your reasoning on that part. Jel

Rob
05-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I work beside 3-19, this am I saw 8 moose and I sure 3 were calves.Rob

MattB
05-11-2008, 09:18 PM
first nations POACHING in that area is a big problem, i witnessed them kill 2 nice young bulls last year there, it was sickening.
Indians dont poach, they have a right to these resources. Oh no, two moose shot...so sad! First nations all across BC rely on NATURAL RESOURCES for food, social, and ceremonial purposes. Allocation works this way:Conservation is always put ahead of FN, then comes FN, then commercial (none for hunting), and then us. Thats the way that salmon are allocated as well.
Before you go calling people poachers for killing 2 young bull moose maybe you should educate yourself. In my opinion, i have no problem with FN having more of a right to BC wildlife than what i have. From what i have seen, many of the FN people i know use every bit of meat off an animal. How many white people do you see eating moose nose? deer kidneys? moose stomach? Not many, right?

Caveman
05-11-2008, 09:19 PM
I know parts of 3-19 like the back of my hand and I've seen more cow calf groupings in recent years than I ever have before. Hunter pressure is still there if not heavier. The few native hunters I've run into are just looking for the easiest harvest as opposed the biggest rack or focusing on calves.

killman
05-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Indians dont poach, they have a right to these resources. Oh no, two moose shot...so sad! First nations all across BC rely on NATURAL RESOURCES for food, social, and ceremonial purposes. Allocation works this way:Conservation is always put ahead of FN, then comes FN, then commercial (none for hunting), and then us. Thats the way that salmon are allocated as well.
Before you go calling people poachers for killing 2 young bull moose maybe you should educate yourself. In my opinion, i have no problem with FN having more of a right to BC wildlife than what i have. From what i have seen, many of the FN people i know use every bit of meat off an animal. How many white people do you see eating moose nose? deer kidneys? moose stomach? Not many, right?

Although if my understanding is right. The moose wasn't really around in most of B.C. until it was logged. Soo...........

killman
05-11-2008, 09:25 PM
By the way this post is 3 years old.

Jelvis
05-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Towards the end of May and early june for babies. Those other little smaller looking animals you see now are what you call yearlings. How come 3-19 is so popular for moose leh? lol jel-3-19 goodright.

Caveman
05-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Towards the end of May and early june for babies. Those other little smaller looking animals you see now are what you call yearlings. How come 3-19 is so popular for moose leh? lol jel-3-19 goodright.

LowLanders can soot from the Coq......why do you thing Jel!!!

MattB
05-11-2008, 09:52 PM
By the way this post is 3 years old.
Good point. Gotta love people bring these old "dead" posts back to life. Seems to be a lot of that lately. :mrgreen:

mpotzold
05-12-2008, 12:41 AM
Good point. Gotta love people bring these old "dead" posts back to life. Seems to be a lot of that lately. :mrgreen:
Why it happens?
The everyday mostly HUMDRUM posts (IMO) are the reason for the old post resurrection! The old timers knew what was interesting or educational!:?

Mik
05-12-2008, 12:49 AM
From what i have seen, many of the FN people i know use every bit of meat off an animal. How many white people do you see eating moose nose? deer kidneys? moose stomach? Not many, right?[/QUOTE]

Unless you are of European descent (sp?)

hunter1947
05-12-2008, 04:43 AM
It sounds to me that the bull to cow ratio is a way out of whack. You should have seen a few bulls when you were out ,or calf's. I would get hold of the wildlife branch and tell them about your concern.

GoatGuy
05-12-2008, 05:06 AM
It sounds to me that the bull to cow ratio is a way out of whack. You should have seen a few bulls when you were out ,or calf's. I would get hold of the wildlife branch and tell them about your concern.

Besides the fact this post is 3 years old................

They fly it most years - everything is good.

Cow:calf this year was quite high, somewhere around 40:100 if I remember. This is actually really good. Heck for deer this would be good.

There's no problem with the moose there. Bull harvest is immature with LEH on top of that.

Bull:cow might have been a bit lower than the 30:100 that we have as our 'target' but really there are absolutely no issues.

Sounds like another hunter who uses one hunting trip as the basis for assessing wildlife populations in BC.

EvanG
05-12-2008, 09:59 PM
I agree with shoot to kill, Indian poaching does exist( (not specificly in this case) but, I have personally seen camps of reefer trucks in northern alberta with enough animals wasted that you would want to stip those responsible of any rights.