PDA

View Full Version : Wild dogs...............what would you do?

trailhunter
11-22-2008, 10:05 PM
So we just got back from reg 3 and we worked a couple mountains really hard and we kept hearing dogs barking.......for hours on end. They seemed to move all over the mountain chasing cattle and deer ex. We were a good 20 miles from any houses.........so what do you know we come around the corner and there they were. As soon as the saw us they were in 5th gear pinned into the timber. Im sure the rancher would have dumped them if i caught them but whats a guy to do?

trailhunter
11-22-2008, 10:12 PM
is there any rules or regs on this topic?

Steeleco
11-22-2008, 10:12 PM
It would be tough to know for sure if they are wild or just some irresponsible owners mutts? Tough call.

NaStY
11-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Would be a tough call for sure. Dont think I would unless i knew the area very well and all the people that lived there. Even still, may be a campers dog....

boxhitch
11-22-2008, 10:24 PM
The dog is loose, and harassing wildlife.
I know what my move would be, in a heart beat.

The definition of a weed is a plant that is growing someplace that it is not desired.
A pet has a limited home enviro too.

boxhitch
11-22-2008, 10:25 PM
is there any rules or regs on this topic?
Probably somewhere in docs pertaining to livestock.

jwe63
11-22-2008, 10:26 PM
I lived in Nova Scotia for 16 years. The hunting regs there states openly you Cannot shoot wild dogs but should report your findings to Lands and Forest Officers. Don't know what big Ol' BC says though....

ruger#1
11-22-2008, 10:27 PM
I would be making sure it isn`t a rancher and his dog bringing cattle in.

Chuck
11-22-2008, 10:39 PM
I agree with the majority. It is a tough call because of the possibilities that it just might be legit. In fact I was once in that boat - my black spaniels were almost mistakenly shot for bears. I told him "pretty small bears", he just looked at me and said nothing. Close call imo.

born2hunt
11-22-2008, 10:43 PM
lock n load

horshur
11-22-2008, 10:46 PM
what sort of dogs?

technically cattle should have been off crown lease by now.

Cougar and bear are open as well as lynx and bobcat all permitted to be hunted by dogs(off leash)

Pete
11-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Our range is posted with signs that say absolutely no Trespassing and No Dogs!!!! we have the right to protect our livestock from dogs chasing them. I will go out of my way to find the owners to get their dogs under control but rest assured that I will put a dog down if it persists in chasing.

trailhunter
11-22-2008, 11:11 PM
there were 4 different dogs in the group...........3 were complete mutts and the 4th wasa rotti-x. They were completely bagged and layin at the edge of a ridge. They couldn't have left faster, my partner talked me out of shooting them but im convinced they were up to no good. There weren't any camps on the mountain and none of the guys we seen were missing any dogs. i agree it was a tough call and it didnt take much to talk me outa it, but im having second thoughts now.

Gateholio
11-22-2008, 11:18 PM
There are lots of factors at play.

Assuming these are dogs running at large, and not hunting hounds:

A private citizen cannot legally kill a dog for chasing wildlife, but a CO or RCMP can.

A person with livestock can protect his livestock from dogs via killing them if they are aggressive towards their livestock.

More than one CO has "privately" suggested that dogs running at large and chasing wildlife should meet with a bullet.

Bottom line is that regular hunters can't shoot dogs legally.

I would be very careful before taking the law into your own hands. Been through this before, and if you are anywhere near population, it could end up in a shitstorm...

lip_ripper00
11-23-2008, 12:29 AM
long story made short. I use to lease property off of 80 and river rd. kept throughbred and warm bloods for hunter/ jumpers. This is an industrial area quiet on weekends,
people would walk their dogs in the area,

We had a throughbred mare with a week old filley at foot, I was in the barn when I hear the mare starting to scream I look out and their is a dog chaseing the week old, I go from the barn to the house grabbed a shotgun and went out to the paddock. As I get down to the gate two people are leaning on the gate watching the dog chase the filly around. When I walked up to the gate one asked what I was hunting, I told them that dog thats running my filly. You can't do that it my dog. I told them to call it in and gave them several minutes to do so. The could not controle the dog and I shot it. Delta cops where called, caretaker of the SPCA was called, it came down to two questions: Was your dog chasing the horse, Yes could you not call the dog back. No. We are sorry about your dog. I was given my shotgun back and told to go home.This was 25 years ago and some laws have changed, If a dog is harassing live stock it's done. One can tell pretty easily if a dog is herding or harassing. Don't let your dogs run livestock.

Wolfman
11-23-2008, 12:39 AM
I guess the best thing would be to report it to the local CO, though I've known ranchers who would just treat such a menace as varmints and act accordingly.

I sure wouldn't want wild dogs harassing my stock.

Wolfman

Barracuda
11-23-2008, 12:43 AM
unless you are the livestock owner(caretaker) and the dogs are viciously pursueing or attacking your livestock and even then it is not as cut and dried as some would like to think .

Secondly no private citizen is allowed to arbitraily shoot a dog if it is harrassing wildlife that is the job of the CO,Police or person granted that right, Being a hunter does not give you that right.

This has all been covered before . If you did you are breaking the law and you deserve the penalties that will be levied against you (as well as the lawsuits)

Do a search and you will see this has been discussed before

mrdoog
11-23-2008, 01:36 AM
"They seemed to move all over the mountain chasing cattle and deer ex. "

So you didn't actually see them chasing livestock or wildlife?

hunter1947
11-23-2008, 05:28 AM
I would have to say yes to this ,under certain circumstances.

sawmill
11-23-2008, 06:32 AM
I saw a pack of at least 8 dogs running a cow moose up in Hazelton across my field in January.I got three.

cxvalleyman
11-23-2008, 06:55 AM
My uncle use dogs to help herd in his cattle in the fall and winter, he lived in william lake. But on the island here , i see a dog well hunting it going down.

cooter
11-23-2008, 08:31 AM
lock n load

And decide before firing!!

FLHTCUI
11-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Whats a tough call?
Did you actually see them chassing cattle or wildlife then either you do or you dont.
Its Your Call.
Personally if I see five dogs chasing Wildlife then I would shoot.
Just my .02 opine on this.
So, was this reported to the proper authorities?
Someone mentioned dogs hearding cattle ... there is a big difference when hearding cattle as the dog(s) is generally with a horse(s) and rider(s) in very close promity to the Herd and Rancher/Ranch Hands.
I watched three dogs working in 5-01 a couple years ago, it is amazing to watch the handlers whistle and short commands and the dogs working and having fun.
Truly is an amazing site site.
Rob

Barracuda
11-23-2008, 08:56 AM
I saw a pack of at least 8 dogs running a cow moose up in Hazelton across my field in January.I got three.

even this scenario is against the regulations and by your own admission committed an offence.
Because it is wildlife that is being pursued you are not allowed to shoot the dogs even though they are on your property. (remember you cant shoot a dog for being on your property).

you cant pick and choose the laws you wish to obey as they suit you , if you do then you are no better then a poacher.

tomahawk
11-23-2008, 09:08 AM
even this scenario is against the regulations and by your own admission committed an offence.
Because it is wildlife that is being pursued you are not allowed to shoot the dogs even though they are on your property. (remember you cant shoot a dog for being on your property).

you cant pick and choose the laws you wish to obey as they suit you , if you do then you are no better then a poacher.

I think your reference to Sawmills post indicating that its the same as a poacher who shoots wildlife against regulations is way off base! There is no similarity to a poacher. A poacher illegally steals a wildlife animal from BC. Shooting some wild (or domestic) dogs that are trying to kill or harass wildlife is not even on the same page IMHO.

Barracuda
11-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I used sawmills post simply to point out that even in that situation he was not legally entitled to destroy the dogs for that reason. Most folks think that they can shoot a dog for merely tresspassing but that is not true but i could understand the mistake.

the reference i was makeing to lawbreakers is that it is no different then anyone shooting any animal they are not legally entitled to do so. A person that Illegally kills or steals animals is a poacher by definition.

Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law

pretty sad that the majority of folks that have taken the poll dont understand or care for the laws and because the laws dont suit them they choose to ignore them.

ratherbefishin
11-23-2008, 09:53 AM
there appears to be two opinions-one ,no police officer or CO is going to officially give you permission,and second-the same police officer or CO will likely tell you privately to take care of the problem.Several years ago when dogs ran a doe out onto the ice, she fell and split her pelvis-the police and CO came and got the deer off the ice[it was breaking, they used a canoe] and had to put it down, the dogs were long gone an police officer asked me if I was a hunter and then said to ''take care of the problem for me and don't advertise it''.Theres a big diferance between officials who were born and raised in rural areas and city people .I knew an old guy on saltspring who raised sheep and routinely shot any dog on his property and the RCMP knew it .Anybody complaining to them expecting charges to be laid against the farmer was told their dog was running sheep and were subsequently charged themselves-and required to pay compensation if the dog actually killed a sheep.Thats just the way it was.

Now-just to make this interesting-would you shoot feral cats in the bush? Fish and game years ago advised people to shoot any feral cats thay saw as they were decimating the grouse and pheasant populations.When feral hogs were in the Frazer valley a few years back-hunters were asked to shot them on sight.Do feral dogs enjoy some special protection cats or hogs don't get?

Will
11-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Once again there is the "Right thing to do" then there is the "Legal thing to do"
Sadly as pointed out already it is "UNLAWFUL" to shoot any domestic canine unless you are authorized to do so.

I voted Nope.

Ddog
11-23-2008, 10:27 AM
all of you that said you would shoot are sick, and need to be helped, there is so many things that it could be, and you are thinking your doing who a favor by shooting a dog? Just cause your carrying a firearm doesnt give you the right to shoot anything that moves.
like i said earlier, there is so many things that it could be, how would you feel if you decided to shoot and then found someone looking for their dogs all distraught because they somehow got out of the yard and they were having a great ol' time running around in the bush occasionally jumping an animal. chasing it for a while and then continue on their merry ol way.
it amazes me that all the people that just say shoot, once again who are you doing a favor by shooting? Or is it that you feel like a heros for shooting a dog and thinking your saving wildlife. Dont be so quick to pass judgement and give your heads a shake and think what you are doing before you do it.

Barracuda
11-23-2008, 10:58 AM
the section 11.(2) of the act does NOT include wild game it only applies to livestock.

here is the actual section .

Dogs causing injury or damage

11.1 (1) For the purposes of this section, "running at large" does not apply to a dog that is under control by being
(a) on the property of its owner or of another person who has the care and control of the dog,
(b) in direct and continuous charge of a person who is competent to control it,
(c) securely confined within an enclosure, or
(d) securely fastened so that it is unable to roam.

(2) A person may kill a dog if the person finds the dog
(a) running at large, and
(b) attacking or viciously pursuing livestock.

the only way game could be included was if it were a game farm situation as defined by the "Game farm act" whiche would be defined as these three.

"game" means fallow deer, bison and reindeer;

Dannybuoy
11-23-2008, 11:12 AM
the section 11.(2) of the act does NOT include wild game it only applies to livestock.

11.1 (1) For the purposes of this section, "running at large" does not apply to a dog that is under control by being
(a) on the property of its owner or of another person who has the care and control of the dog,

Totally correct ! the law pertaining to killing of dogs chasing game etc was repealed some years ago .... But

nano
11-23-2008, 11:16 AM
if the dog tryed to attack me i would shoot it. It has happend once before but thank god its handler found it befor it attacked us.

killman
11-23-2008, 11:21 AM

the only way game could be included was if it were a game farm situation as defined by the "Game farm act" whiche would be defined as these three.

"game" means fallow deer, bison and reindeer;

They need to write these in english. The way that reads to me is, that if a dog is "at large" which would be not in direct control or on property it is suppose to be on. It can be shot.???

mrdoog
11-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Believe it or not it is in English.

You have to read 11.1 in its entirety in order to apply it.

11.1 (1) explains the scope of running at large
11.1(2) explains the actions, only if (a) and (b) are met though

Barracuda
11-23-2008, 11:44 AM
that is the definition in context to the livestock act.

remember that both A and B criteria would have to be fullfilled and the livestock would have to be legally entitled to be where they were also. (permit,stockyard etc)

a dog merely at large could not be shot

the animals that can be destroyed as seen are clearly outlined in sched C of the wildlife act all other have rules and stipulations that are outlined in the various actls and it is a persons responsibility to seek out these rules and regs priors to destroying an animal.

Sasquatch
11-23-2008, 11:55 AM
pretty sad that the majority of folks that have taken the poll dont understand or care for the laws and because the laws dont suit them they choose to ignore them.

I think this is the truest statement I have read on this thread.

sawmill
11-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Well ,all the pussywillow sentiments aside,If I see another dog pulling down a deer I`l shoot the son of a bitch.

Johnny G1
11-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Well ,all the pussywillow sentiments aside,If I see another dog pulling down a deer I`l shoot the son of a bitch. X2 and it ain't any different than most hunter's shooting wolves or coyote, Just my thoughts. Think about it??

Sasquatch
11-23-2008, 12:31 PM
X2 and it ain't any different than most hunter's shooting wolves or coyote, Just my thoughts. Think about it??

Well, actually it is quite different than legally shooting wolves or coyotes. For one thing, you could lose your firearm and your hunting privileges for doing it.

Think about it.

Toppack
11-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Doing what is right is not always lawful! If the dogs are wild and running at large I would take the risk of being prosecuted and dispatch the animals.
Its not so much the dogs fault as it is the person who turned it loose.
What should we do to the irresponsible, once owners of these dogs?

elkdom
11-24-2008, 02:11 AM
Wild dogs are a big problem, most people avoid the subject, fact is wild dogs, feral dogs kill wildlife and domestic animals, left un-checked they reproduce at alarming rates, the few CO's that patrol BC have a lot better things to do than chase wild dog reports, I live in a rural setting, many people choose to DUMP unwanted puppies, lovable little DOGGIES out in the rural districts hoping some one will ADOPT them! saddly they either become wild and look after themselves or get eaten by other wild dogs or wild preditors! rural residents have been witness to this many times, so when wild domestic dogs, feral dogs, feral cats become a nuicence, the fact is in rural areas they get shot! it seems that most replies to this thread agree, at this point about 85% say yes shoot them , I have witnessed deer being hunted by wild dogs, and also my own domestic dogs attacked on my own property by wild/feral dogs, If I see them on my property, they get shot.
if I see them chasing deer on crown land ???

cmc destroyer
11-24-2008, 06:58 AM
I have read somewhere it is legal to shoot dogs for harrassing wildlife.
If I saw them actually chasing a deer I probably would have taken the necessesary steps to stop it.

Barracuda
11-24-2008, 09:04 AM
I think you are missing the point .The law can either designate who can apply it or who cannot . Just because it does not say that mpotzold cannot shoot a ????? does not mean that he can LOL!. (the judge is gonna love that excuse )

What i am getting at is like it or not the laws that are in place do not include a provision for a Private citizen to destroy a dog, cat or other non native wildlife that is not specifically outlined or without certain criteria fulfilled.

There are far to many trigger happy bozos out there that would shoot a dog and feel all manly and proud that they just Saved the deer etc only to find out that the dog was lost or belonged to one of the local farms etc.
There is way to much room for error. Could you imagine the problems that would arise from this?
There are allready far to many ignorant jackasses that are convinced that hunting with dogs is against the law or that a dog hunter is scareing away thier deer (the seasons overlap) so they shoot at dogs . (I know this first hand)

if you want to legally be able to shoot dogs then perhaps you should approach the appropriate bodies and try to get something on the books that gives a person the rights that you seem to want to have.

if you pick and choose which laws you follow what sort of a hunter does that make you? Can you still call yourself a hunter?

And folks wonder why much of the General public sees hunters as illiterate single digit IQ armed Neanderthals. :lol:

Ron.C
11-24-2008, 09:58 AM
First, If there is a real threat to your safety or the safety of another the same as if it were a cougar/bear, you do what you have to do and shoot it, but report it afterwords. And I don't see shooting a stray or wild dog being the same thing as shooting a coyote or wolf. Having said that, I would be pretty leary to shoot any dog I saw in the bush regardless of what it was doing. I can understand why a rancher would shoot a dog harassing his livestock, hell if it was my dog that was shot because he was chasing someones cattle or horses, I'd understand and accept the fault as my own, but I would draw the line at wildlife. If I shot a guys dog that was chasing a deer and the owner of the dog took issue, which he most likely would, I'd be in the shit and my hunting privleges would be in jeaprody. I know I walk my dog off leash in slashes down gated logging roads around Lake Cowichan in the spring while elk shed hunting where people MAY be hunting bear. If he see's a bear and puts the run on it, should I just do everyone a favour and shoot him myself? What about people who don't hunt and want to let their dogs off lead for a run in the bush. Shoot one of their dogs because it's chasing a deer and see where you end up. As for actual stray's or wild dogs, if it is an issue in a particular area, call/write your local CO/RCMP and report it.

Gateholio
11-24-2008, 10:35 AM
updated 9:49 a.m. PT, Sun., Nov. 23, 2008

BAGHDAD - Baghdad authorities killed more than 200 stray dogs on Sunday, the opening day of a campaign to cull dog packs roaming the capital that was prompted by a spate of fatal attacks on residents.

Three teams of veterinarians and police officers used poisoned meat and rifles to kill the animals, said Dr. Hassan Chaloub, an official at the veterinary hospital supervising the effort. He said the capital has no dog shelters.

The campaign started Sunday in western Baghdad and will move to the eastern half of the city early next year.

Thirteen people died in August alone in the capital after being attacked by dogs, according to Baghdad's provincial council, which is overseeing the campaign.

People in some neighborhoods have been too frightened to go outside when the dogs are present.

"For many days, people, including me, could not go to work in the morning because of these dogs," said Jinan Abdul-Amir, who lives in the Sadiyah neighborhood in southwest Baghdad. "I came here today to the veterinary hospital to file a complaint."

Under Saddam Hussein, authorities killed stray dogs in the capital almost every year, but the practice ended with his ouster in 2003. Since then, local officials estimate, the number of strays in Baghdad has grown to more than a thousand.

behemoth
11-24-2008, 11:27 AM
all of you that said you would shoot are sick, and need to be helped, there is so many things that it could be, and you are thinking your doing who a favor by shooting a dog? Just cause your carrying a firearm doesnt give you the right to shoot anything that moves.
like i said earlier, there is so many things that it could be, how would you feel if you decided to shoot and then found someone looking for their dogs all distraught because they somehow got out of the yard and they were having a great ol' time running around in the bush occasionally jumping an animal. chasing it for a while and then continue on their merry ol way.
it amazes me that all the people that just say shoot, once again who are you doing a favor by shooting? Or is it that you feel like a heros for shooting a dog and thinking your saving wildlife. Dont be so quick to pass judgement and give your heads a shake and think what you are doing before you do it.
X2
This post is right on.
Let the ranchers who have the livestock do this, not someone who drove from the city into region 3 on the weekend, decided they were going to save all the wildlife, shoot a few dogs and hit the Starbucks drive through on the way home.
Some people really need to give their head a shake.

elkdom
11-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Once a wildlife chaser always a wild life chaser.

There shouldn't even be a decision.....

CLICK CLICK KABOOM !!!!

Exactly! an average size dog can run a deer to death, also during winter deer and elk loose strenght fast when pursued, burning up valuable energy, just a few hours of stress an cause ungulates to abort! so stray dogs are a threat , ignore the facts, then blame it all on the wolves or the tics!

CLICK,ZOOM, KABOOM !

knighthunter
11-24-2008, 01:08 PM
X2. here in the farmland, any dog we see chasing deer don't last long.

Mr. Dean
11-24-2008, 02:34 PM
No vote.

But I FREELY give permission to ANY person, to dispatch my dog if it's seen unlawfully running wildlife OR farm critters.

Hell, I'd even do it myself.

IMO this mindset should be adopted by ALL pet owners. It's their responsibility to keep their pets under control. Just because the owner *may* be absent, is no excuse for an unruly pet. Have your animals KNOW; sit, come, stay - or keep em locked up.

Pretty simple IMO....

Statler
11-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Thought I heard on the news last night about a couple of guys who shot a dog. Apparently they are due for their provincial court date soon. I believe they said that they are being charged with the illegal shooting of a domestic dog and the careless and dangerous use of a firearm. Apparently the BCSPCA is also quite interested in the case and is reviewing it to see if the new stiffer penalities of, I think they said, 18 months imprisonment and/or $10,000 fine and other penalities can be applied. Couple this with the possibility of the court giving a potential sentence of a firearms ban can make it a significant deterrent to those who think they can take the law into their own hands and rightly so.
Hopefully if they are convicted of this crime they will be given the maximun penality.
Laws are present for the benefit and protection of a society and not dismissed at the whim of an individual.
One can only wish that they truely loved hunting and their firearms and that the sentences will be significant enough that they will have time to reflect on their actions when and if their privileges are removed.

Ddog
11-24-2008, 04:08 PM
if the post by statler is true, and i hope it is, all of you who said that you would willingly pass judgement and shoot a dog would face the same penalties.
i hope this reminds you if and when you see it in the forest, if i ever have the chance to help prosecute any individual accused of shooting a dog (someones pet) i will travel any distance and pay any fees to do so.
if i personally witness any individual shooting at or shooting a dog i will follow that person and report them, and not give up the case until the person is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
keep this in mind when all you trigger happy heros think that your being all manly by saving a deer or whatever it would be.
remember that you are not the only ones in the bush hunting. i have seen countless numbers of other hunters hiking passed me without them knowing i am there.

Will
11-24-2008, 04:25 PM
So can I continue using my Doggy for Bird hunting or will someone shoot him ? :neutral:

Dannybuoy
11-24-2008, 04:28 PM
So can I continue using my Doggy for Bird hunting or will someone shoot him ? :neutral:
I think some of the peoples here are confusing "seeing a dog in the bush" with "seeing a pack of dogs chasing deer"
I carry a few hollowpoints specifically for the latter ......

Will
11-24-2008, 04:46 PM
I think some of the peoples here are confusing "seeing a dog in the bush" with "seeing a pack of dogs chasing deer"
Yep there is a Difference.....:wink:

7mag700
11-24-2008, 04:52 PM
I agree that in certain places (ie: Baghdad) wild dogs can be a problem. I also agree that a rancher may choose to kill a dog (wild or otherwise) if it harasses his animals.

As to the rest, it's like advocating killing seals because they eat fish.

Best leave animal protection and wildlife management to the professionals, eh? :? If you see a pack of wild dogs (and I find it hard to believe they're that common) - report it to a CO. He might even give you permission to deal with it.

Shoot my dogs when I'm out for a walk, we're gonna have issues.

sawmill
11-24-2008, 04:56 PM
I think somebody here just called me "sick"What is sick is watching a moose crashing through the crust in 3 feet of snow,tounge hanging out and desperatly trying to outrun a bunch of 90 lb. shepard/doberman mongrels,running on top.Whats even sicker is to let the dogs harass the thing to death then go find another.Sickest of all is not stopping it.
Like Mr.Dean said,I`d shoot my own dog if he was doing that.
So................I`m sick,tough shit.

Statler
11-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Nothing really confusing about it at all. If its illegal its illegal. I believe RAPP can be used for more than just reporting poachers can't it?
Also how can one be 100% certain if the dogs are wild or running wild its simple really you can't. What if , for arguments sake, one of the houndsmen who frequent this site were working their dogs in the legal pursuit of game, lets say, 20 kms or more from the nearest town and their dogs were out of range and a deer crossed their path and they gave chase. Dogs are apt to do this from time to time, after all there dogs and no amount of training can curb all circumstances. Would you take a shot at these animals if you caught a fleeting glimpse of them running after a deer? From reading some of these posts some would... without a thought it seems as to a reason why the dogs could be there in the first place. Hopefully the encounter you have with the houndsman after he investigates the shot will be a memorable one.

Barracuda
11-24-2008, 05:12 PM
I think somebody here just called me "sick"What is sick is watching a moose crashing through the crust in 3 feet of snow,tounge hanging out and desperatly trying to outrun a bunch of 90 lb. shepard/doberman mongrels,running on top.Whats even sicker is to let the dogs harass the thing to death then go find another.Sickest of all is not stopping it.
Like Mr.Dean said,I`d shoot my own dog if he was doing that.
So................I`m sick,tough shit.

perhaps you should start that off with once upon a time LOL!!!

with the exception of a select few genetically favoured breeds a domestic dog would not survive the winter,.
Far to many mutated genes to get in the way of surviveing. There is not a domestic dog that would survive in a wolfs range for one season never mind being able to form a pack and take down large game.
Perhaps in the lower 48 they could or in and around mankind they would scavange but they are far from suitable for survival in the true wild.

But hey if you want to pat yourself on the back and pretend you are some kind of local Bar Star or Hillbilly Hero then by all means ignore the laws that dont suit you .
The only thing i can say is make sure that you are man enough to stand up and profess your Just Actions for all to see.
If you dont, you are nothing more then a Gutless Coward that knows they have committed a crime and are fearfull of the consequences.

Salty
11-24-2008, 05:14 PM
This is one of these threads that has nowhere to go but stupid.

Dogs running through the bush. OK, what were they up to? I've had dogs all my life and I've taken them running in the bush many many times.

Yes there are (very rare) occaisons of actual "wild dogs" in BC. Here's a challange to anyone in BC; take and post us some pictures of actual wild dogs. Let's see how many we can fine.

And there are dogs with irresponsible owners that have ran deer. That is a bad thing. And should be dealt with by the authorities. Not someone out hunting that lives 100s of kms away that doesn't know the area from his ass.

I will say this about that though. If anyone shoots my dogs that you see in my avatar, (healthy well cared for dogs with collars), because they see them running in the bush I will not shoot them back. But when I am finished with them they will be wishing that I had. Big time.

mijinkal
11-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I gotta say, I'm amazed how many people here said they'd shoot with the information given. It puts a balck eye on HBC in my opinion.
The only way I would shoot a dog in the bush is if I knew for shure that they were wild and that I knew for a fact that there was a problem with wild dogs in the area that the local CO was trying to control.
I also don't know 100% if shooting a wild dog in the bush is legal so why would I take the chance.
Would you shoot a deer that you didn't know was legal? Nope.

Toppack
11-24-2008, 06:06 PM
I think the last thing anyone here wants to do is shoot the family pet. The poll was "shoot WILD dogs" ie...no owners. Whats with all the emotion?

Gateholio
11-24-2008, 06:17 PM
As usual, this topic always dredges up passionate responses, and pointed fingers. There is also a fair amount of ignorance and a bit of confusion here.

I am sure some of you will remember the great controversy regarding a dog being shot in Pemberton a few years ago, and the movement to ban hunting in the area. I got a first hand education on shooting dogs, legalities and the politics around it.

To begin with- I don't think anybody is suggesting that shooting somebody's hunting hounds or their pet while they are out for a walk with their owners is the right thing to do. At least I hope not...

More likely the people advocating shooting dogs are referring to stray dogs or dogs that have very little restrictions put on them by their owners. DOgs that have taken it upon themselves to run off, pack up and terrorize livestock and wildlife. This is not an uncommon problem in rural areas, and/or areas around reserves.

As I said before, there is no legal provision for a private individual to kill a dog chasing wildlife.

At the same time, many hunters have been quietly advised by CO's and bios to SSS when encountering loose dogs chasing wildlife, and in some areas where strays running wildlife have historically been a problem, the practice is ingrained in the local hunters there. Some reserves have contracted local hunters to cull dogs running loose from time to time.

So we can see where there is quite a bit of confusion about this topic.

Many hunters have seen the carnage created by dogs running deer and moose in winter, and it definitely inspires some strong emotions.

Although there isn't any provision for an individual to kill dogs, there isn't any real "no dog shooting" laws either. Destruction of property, careless use of firearms-charges like that may apply, but a dog is considered chattel under the law, no different than a cow or pig or chicken (or your TV set for that matter). I'd like to see the details of the $10000 /18 months in jail case. I suspect it has more to do with how and where a firearm was used, than it does with killing a dog (unless the dog was tortured somehow-we do have laws regarding cruelty, but shooting a dog dead isn't considered "cruel," just as killing a cow or chicken with a single shot isn't considered cruel)

I think with topics like this, it's important to consider that many people have different experiences that shape their views. It's also important that dog owners take responsibility for their pets actions, and hunters act responsibly in difficult situations..

sawmill
11-24-2008, 06:40 PM
The dogs I`m talking about were from the Gitsiukla Indian reserve 5 miles up the train tracks from my place.They would run in packs of ten to as many as twenty,all big ,all half wild and all underfed.It got so bad there that the Kispiox band council put a 10$ bounty on all dogs running wild.Their own dogs ,mind you.Nothing gets neutered and after a while they get out of control,attacking game,livestock and occasionally ,people,kids mostly.
It is fine to get emotional but unless you have lived up north and seen the neglect and indifferance to dogs-not pets-that I have ,don`t get all pissy.These are NOT somebodies Lassie,these are BIG halfwild animals that are way more dangerous than any wolf because they have absolutely no fear of man.If there was 10 of them in YOUR yard tearing up a moose or perhaps your good dog I bet you would swap those angel wings for a rifle faster than I can say City Folks.

sawmill
11-24-2008, 06:46 PM
perhaps you should start that off with once upon a time LOL!!!

with the exception of a select few genetically favoured breeds a domestic dog would not survive the winter,.
Far to many mutated genes to get in the way of surviveing. There is not a domestic dog that would survive in a wolfs range for one season never mind being able to form a pack and take down large game.
Perhaps in the lower 48 they could or in and around mankind they would scavange but they are far from suitable for survival in the true wild.

But hey if you want to pat yourself on the back and pretend you are some kind of local Bar Star or Hillbilly Hero then by all means ignore the laws that dont suit you .

The only thing i can say is make sure that you are man enough to stand up and profess your Just Actions for all to see.
If you dont, you are nothing more then a Gutless Coward that knows they have committed a crime and are fearfull of the consequences.
Now I`m a gutless coward????????Obviously yer redding scils suk an yer comperhshun is ZERO.

Mr. Dean
11-24-2008, 06:46 PM
City Folks...... Good one (belly chuckle). :lol:

huntergirl270
11-24-2008, 06:54 PM
When I was a kid we had a pack of wild dogs that used to roam the farms in Hatzic Prairie/McConnell Creek area (behind Mission) They killed a few of our chickens and our neighbors lost two sheep to them. As a community we kept our eyes peeled and a group of local hunters were on call when they were spotted chasing a calf in someone's field. They were dispatched without any issues.

Having said that, I would NEVER shoot a dog that is running through the bush but I would report it to the local authorities. You don't know the situation. I have friends who own 3000 acres of land near Quesnel along the Nazko. They don't have most of their land fenced because they have cattle guards. They are very accepting of the hunters who come in to hunt moose during the season and even have a small area for camping made by one of the lakes on their land that is available for anyone to use. There are at least seven forestry roads which cross their land and plenty of access for Joe Blow from the mainland. REMEMBER THIS IS PRIVATE LAND. I wouldn't have known where their property line is.... would you???? They have several breeds of mongrels that they use as cattle dogs. When they are out looking for the cattle, just to check up on them (they don't bring them in for winter but keep tabs on the main herd's location) they release the dogs and listen for the barking........hmmmmmmmm could you mistake their dogs for wild dogs???? Please be careful you may be killing someone's pet or working dog. If you aren't from the specific area look into it before shooting. You have the luxury of going home feeling like a hero and never hearing the possible real story behind it.

sawmill
11-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Of course.Huntergirl.I am talking about a wolf pack of rez dogs that obviously are not herding cattle.

Salty
11-24-2008, 07:02 PM
What huntergirl 270 said.

Barracuda
11-24-2008, 07:18 PM
you are missing the point Sawmill
In a nutshell if you can legally destroy them and the situation arises then i dont see a problem with that.

If you profess yourself to be some kind of an eco warrior that saves the forest dwellers from the savage dogs that roam around killing bambi then you should have the gumption to stand behind your actions and not hide from the reprecussions.

As you stated about the rez dogs , the reserveation was wanting to cull the animals that had gone feral and they are allowed to do so or have it done but that is alot differnt then seeing a dog in the woods and shooting it . The targets are identified and the chance for a potential mistake has been minimized.

If my hounds get killed by a cat a bear a pack of wolves or even a farmer whose livestock it has gone after those are the chances i take or even a co for what ever reason. I take every precaution i can and that is all i can do.
I should not have to worry about some pissed off deerhunter (which i did come across )or some hillbilly hero that decides that dogs should not be in the woods during Thier hunting season or they mistakenly believe that dogs are to be shot if seen and they are allowed to do so.

I See far to many guy that are so willing to shoot first then figure it out later.

if it is within the law i can accept it.

sawmill
11-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Oh and by the way Barracuda,I at least post a public profile.Birthday,age what I do for a living and the town I live in.What are you hiding?
Call me gutless.Sheesh.

ROEBUCK
11-24-2008, 07:25 PM
I Would Be Heart Broken If Someone Shot At Or Shot One Of My Dogs, Whilst I Was In The Bush ,then I Would Be Angry, Then Vengeful Then The Real Hurting Would Start

Gateholio
11-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Let's not make this personal, please.

sawmill
11-24-2008, 07:28 PM
They were in my yard pulling down a moose in the middle of winter!!!I was having breakfast when I looked out my kitchen window and saw it happening.And by the way,**** off with the Eco Warrior shit.

sawmill
11-24-2008, 07:30 PM
I guess I just got this thread locked.Sorry Gatehouse.

Barracuda
11-24-2008, 07:34 PM
no need to lock it as long as it remains civil :lol:

Ddog
11-24-2008, 07:40 PM
i am disgusted in all of those people who want to take the law into their own hands on this subject,
Gatehouse, why you post something that has absolutely no bearing, except to feed the fire, on regulations in BC is beyond me.
personally i think that was a bad choice.

Will
11-24-2008, 07:50 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/Upload/thread%20sucks/Thread-Crap-Jesus_Cry.jpg

sawmill
11-24-2008, 07:54 PM
no need to lock it as long as it remains civil :lol:
If you take back the gutless coward comment I won`t say what I think.That should keep it civil.

sawmill
11-24-2008, 07:55 PM
And ddog,take a pill,This is fun.

trailhunter
11-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Ddog i hear ya........i have a dog that i love like one of my family members. Id be going to jail is someone shot him. But the fact of the matter is these dogs werent pets. They are a foreign bobies (like a bullfrog in australia) in our back country. These dogs arent supposed to be there so they should nt be. Im sure you would find an argument on killing pine beetles as well so everything that is being said is falling on def ears. Thats your opion and you have the right to voice it, just like everyone else hear does.

sawmill
11-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Yes Trail man ,I have 2 dogs I love up to the sky but if they got loose and were running game............I shuold be shot too.

sawmill
11-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Still don`t see that apology `Cudda.:shock:

M.Dean
11-24-2008, 08:11 PM
A person may kill a dog if he finds it Running at Large or Attacking or Viciously pursuing live stock, section 11.1 of the live stock act. I had thought that you had to be a employee of the ranch to shoot a dog, but i guess not! If folks love there dogs, look after them, if your dog is out chasing cows and deer, it's not your family pet, it's a predator and should be dealt as such! M.Dean

Barracuda
11-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Why would i apologize for the statement and the context in which it was given?

Are you misunderstanding what was posted?

it means if you do such an act and you believe you are in the right then you should say so, if you do not think what you did was right then you would not admit to your actions and you would hide from the reprecussions

Jagermeister
11-24-2008, 08:21 PM
A number of years ago I had an encounter with 2 feral dogs and their pup. At the moment I just thought that they were someones dogs. When they started to approach me snarling and growling, I made a very prompt short retreat to my truck. Had I a gun, I surely would have shot them on the spot. Days later, I saw them go into a den and that convinced me that they were feral, and again, no gun. Even the pup, which I estimated to be 4 or 5 months old , had the same posture. I can tell you that it was a very intimidating situation, they had absolutely no fear. I voted yes. I don't have to tell anybody it I happen to do.

sawmill
11-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Why would i apologize for the statement and the context in which it was given?

Are you misunderstanding what was posted?

it means if you do such an act and you believe you are in the right then you should say so, if you do not think what you did was right then you would not admit to your actions and you would hide from the reprecussions
Um,I ............... did and I do,if thats what you are hoping to get out of me ,Said it before and say it now.If you are working for the Cops well then it`s just a story.What is the statute of limitations on killing dogs killing moose?Where is my apoligy?
Pony up City boy.Admit you were rude and WAY out of line.Nobody calls me a gutless *******.Unless it`s from the saftey of the Internet.

Shake your head son.

Ddog
11-24-2008, 08:58 PM
sawmill you are obviously an ol redneck, who would rather to take the law into his own hands, the point is it is illegal.
back in the days of old when you and yours cousins were out shooting things because you could are gone. there needs to be more responsible gun owners and hunters out there, instead of the ol boys teaching the young ones that is ok to shoot a dog out in the bush if you see one chasing a deer or wildlife.
the fact is it isnt ok to do.
there are other ways to go about it, and take care of the problem. if it is a problem.
now in the case of self defence i have no problem dispatching the offending dog, i to have been on the receiving end of a vicious dog and it is no fun, and i would do whatever necessary to defend my life or my friends lives.
but that isnt the question here, the question was what would you do if they were after the wild animals.
and as all of you can see by the poll it is obvious that more of you need to know the regulations and laws.
and just for arguments sake, kill the pine beetles:)

sawmill
11-24-2008, 09:04 PM
I see you are another man(I`m asuming your a man) who does not have enough honesty to post anything on his profile.If you can`t tell me and all of us where you live at least then do not presume to impose your opinions on me.Man up .

sawmill
11-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Ain`t this fun!!!I was just tellin` my sister/wife how many of them dang city folk are pissed at me !!!

sawmill
11-24-2008, 09:13 PM
By the way DDog,Ive never seen pine beetles trying to kill wild game,but if I did.I`dkill them sons a btches too.

mrdoog
11-24-2008, 09:13 PM
"my sister/wife"

Hmmmmmm, very interesting.

BCLongshot
11-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Geez......I lost my 2 dogs in the bush once for 2 days.If the local farmer/ranchers would of shot'em for chasing livestock...Oh well bad day for the hounds I guess.(They were to).

I'd hate for them 2 be shot for chasing a damn deer for a 100m's when lotsa of the guys here shoot and miss and stick arrows in the ass of an elk etc.

I do admit when we're dirt biking we chase the odd deer or bear, sometimes even a granola cruncher.

Ddog
11-24-2008, 09:17 PM
sawmill,, the fact of the matter is that your as ignorant as they come.
your the one sitting behind your computer saying that your a real hero cause you committed an offense and are fessing up to it, but if the law comes to you and asks you would say it was just a story.
does it bother you that people know where you live and you dont know where they live?
and why would barracuda apologize to you? where did he insult you?
you need to take a pill cause the fact is you arent a hero for illegally killing the dogs.
go ahead and keep thinking your in the right, but your not, and for all of your "subtleties" you have not wisdom nor shall you ever have it.
for the record, i am in Cranbrook you hero.

Gateholio
11-24-2008, 09:42 PM
sawmill,, the fact of the matter is that your as ignorant as they come.
your the one sitting behind your computer saying that your a real hero cause you committed an offense and are fessing up to it, but if the law comes to you and asks you would say it was just a story.
does it bother you that people know where you live and you dont know where they live?
and why would barracuda apologize to you? where did he insult you?
you need to take a pill cause the fact is you arent a hero for illegally killing the dogs.
go ahead and keep thinking your in the right, but your not, and for all of your "subtleties" you have not wisdom nor shall you ever have it.
for the record, i am in Cranbrook you hero.

But what is the offense?

I actually asked an RCMP officer this and he wasnt' sure.

Like I pointed out earlier, there doesn't seem to be anything except for "destruction of property" And for that the owner of the property needs to make some sort of complaint.

Johnny G1
11-24-2008, 09:49 PM
[quote=Ddog;365022]sawmill you are obviously an ol redneck, Yeh and X2 and proud as Hell. Just my thoughts.

trailhunter
11-24-2008, 09:53 PM
A person may kill a dog if he finds it Running at Large or Attacking or Viciously pursuing live stock, section 11.1 of the live stock act. I had thought that you had to be a employee of the ranch to shoot a dog, but i guess not! If folks love there dogs, look after them, if your dog is out chasing cows and deer, it's not your family pet, it's a predator and should be dealt as such! M.Dean

Does this help clear it up for you Ddog?

M.Dean
11-24-2008, 10:01 PM
i live in a small community, there are a lot of dog owners here that love there pets, they look after them and don't let them run freely. Some people have dogs and don't care where they go or what they do, when they chase the live stock they get shot. There's nothing red neck or backwoods about it, if you love your dog, don't let it play on the road and don't let it chase the deer or cattle! Shooting a dog is not taking the law into your own hands if it's done in a safe humane manner! Read the Wild Life Act. Some are making this thread out to be a wild west dog shoot out, thats not what this is about, it's about problem dogs, and they should be shot! After a dogs been in a pack of 5 or 6 and they'd killed other animals, try to turn that dog back into a house pet, the only way is to chain it to a tree for the rest of it's life and listen to it bark day and night! I don't think any one here is talking about shooting a responsible dog owners pet, there talking about problem dogs!

elkdom
11-24-2008, 10:06 PM
I will just go on living life as it unfolds, should there ever come a time for reckoning I will leave my fate to a JURY and my Insurance Company! with a couple of days to plead the case on this thread topic, the numbers say it all!

80% say shoot !! and 20% say dont shoot!! I love democracy!

Ddog
11-24-2008, 10:12 PM
trailhunter,,,that has been modified, in that post it says OR the regs state and which is completely different.
m.dean we are not on the subject of livestock, it is wildlife.
it says running at large and ,,,and being the keyword here

Dannybuoy
11-25-2008, 02:03 AM
But what is the offense?

I actually asked an RCMP officer this and he wasnt' sure.

Like I pointed out earlier, there doesn't seem to be anything except for "destruction of property" And for that the owner of the property needs to make some sort of complaint.
And the owner of the property (dogs) would have to face the charges/fines etc for allowing his dogs to chase/harass/kill wildlife

Dannybuoy
11-25-2008, 02:23 AM
[quote=Ddog;365022]sawmill you are obviously an ol redneck, Yeh and X2 and proud as Hell. Just my thoughts.
Yah ! And if I am ever out your way . I'll buy you a cold one !:smile:

Dannybuoy
11-25-2008, 02:26 AM
This is one of these threads that has nowhere to go but stupid..
Aint it the truth !! ;-)

sawmill
11-25-2008, 04:11 AM
i am disgusted in all of those people who want to take the law into their own hands on this subject,
Gatehouse, why you post something that has absolutely no bearing, except to feed the fire, on regulations in BC is beyond me.
personally i think that was a bad choice.

Yeah but wasn`t it Fun!Sure got your panties all knotted up:tongue:
Oh ,I guess I am a redneck but thats what happens when you work outdoors,the back of your neck gets sunburned cause you are head down,ass up building houses,schools,bridges,pipelines,roads and all the rest of the infrastructure that most people take for granted.
And don`t pick on Gatehouse.I am pleased to see that we got to go this far without getting shut down.
And,just so you know,I don`t hunt wolfs,coyotes cougars or bears,my personal choice and I am certainly not going to shit all over guys that do.I just don`t shoot stuff I don`t want to eat.Unless it is a nice tough deer running feral dog,now thats some good jerky!
So take your outrage somewhere else,it`s wasted on me.After all I am a REDNECK.
(LURLENE!!GET THEM DAMN KIDS AWAY FROM THE HOG!!!HOW MANY TIME I GOTTA TELL THEM NOT TO PLAY WITH THEIR FOOD!!):biggrin:

hunter1947
11-25-2008, 04:25 AM

Ddog I am no sick puppy ,what I said is under sertin circumstances..
Now say you have a 10 year old daughter that is being attact by a dog ,would you shoot this dog or let your daughter be killed by this domestic dog or can I call it a wild dog ????.

Like I said under certain circumstances ,Think about it :idea:.

bridger
11-25-2008, 06:07 AM
i believe it is legal to shoot any dog chasing wildlife in bc. legal or not legitmate dog owners should not allow their pets to chase deer and should be prepared for the consequences

blondebomber
11-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Ain`t this fun!!!I was just tellin` my sister/wife how many of them dang city folk are pissed at me !!!

Ahhh man, I told him not to play with the puter.... Sorry guys this redneck is hard to keep control off....

I am not his sister/wife I am his cusin/wife

And my name is not LUREEN, its BAMBI:biggrin:

Lone Ranger
11-25-2008, 06:52 AM
I voted no just because I won't shoot anything unless I intend on eating it (paper targets aside obvious!). By personal choice I'm a meat hunter, not a trophy hunter. If it came down to a survival situation or a defensive situation, I wouldn't think twice and neither would I ever feel guilty for doing so.

If I were to see someone else shoot a wild/feral dog in the same circumstances, I doubt I would say anything either. I try to coexist with nature (and people) as much as possible, but at the same time I will try to defend/protect those who cannot defend themselves and legitimately need it. I was under the impression that hunters don't have the rights to shoot wild dogs, only ranchers, but like anything else it wouldn't be the first (or last) time I'm wrong. LR

Walksalot
11-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Anyone who has seen the end result of dogs attacking game would be furious. The blame lies not with the dogs but with the owners as responsible owners take care of their dogs. How many times have you heard people comment that their dogs, when they are not around, were out for a hike or a walk.
I have zero sympathy for dogs who chase game and the owners should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Once a dog or dogs start running game they are offenders for life unless they are contained or destroyed. I followed a dog's tracks back to a residence and explained to the owner they had a beautiful dog which was living on borrowed time.

Spokerider
11-25-2008, 10:17 AM
This is one of these threads that has nowhere to go but stupid.

Dogs running through the bush. OK, what were they up to? I've had dogs all my life and I've taken them running in the bush many many times.

Yes there are (very rare) occaisons of actual "wild dogs" in BC. Here's a challange to anyone in BC; take and post us some pictures of actual wild dogs. Let's see how many we can fine.

And there are dogs with irresponsible owners that have ran deer. That is a bad thing. And should be dealt with by the authorities. Not someone out hunting that lives 100s of kms away that doesn't know the area from his ass.

I will say this about that though. If anyone shoots my dogs that you see in my avatar, (healthy well cared for dogs with collars), because they see them running in the bush I will not shoot them back. But when I am finished with them they will be wishing that I had. Big time.

Yup! You just read my mind, and beat me to saying it!
Trigger happy, wanton killers beware!!

Mr. Dean
11-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Yup! You just read my mind, and beat me to saying it!
Trigger happy, wanton killers beware!!

This point is moot and others like it.
The thread explicitly states dogs runnin' game and/or livestock.... Not just gally-gagin' through the bush.

My dog hunts with me. His job is to locate game..... But if the day came that he decided to start runnin' them and ignored my commands -----> KABOOMY.

I'd only have myself to blame because I didn't pay enough attention to him (training and preseason workouts/reinforcement.). Love for a pet shouldn't include a free pass for ignorance OR bad judgement. :wink:

boxhitch
11-25-2008, 10:42 AM
No Offense ????? Well here is a twist for you.

Page 6 of the Regs. - There is no open season for wildlife - except as indicated in the synopsis. It is unlawful to hunt at any time during the year except within the open season, or by authority of a permit issued under the Wildlife Act.

This same Reg. means no hunting of hogs turkeys rabbits or other feral animal unless there is a GOS or by permit.
So, if these are truely wild dogs, no they cannot be legally shot, and are governed by the Wildlife Act.
If they are stray pets other rules apply, as have been shown.

Iron Glove
11-25-2008, 10:59 AM
I voted "No" because in the case of wildlife, it simply is not legal and in the case of cattle, the circumstances allowing you to shoot the dogs are limited.
There always has been this misconception, continued by many on this thread that seem to be having reading and comprehension problems, that it is legal to shoot a dog that is harrassing wildlife. It simply is not legal. Now sure, you may get the "wink, wink, nudge nudge" from the CO or RCMP but the fact is it is not legal.
So then, if you voted "yes" you are condoning an illegal act and might have to face the consequences. And one person suggested that they would let their insurance deal with it - not likely as insurance policies do not as a rule cover illegal acts. So you are on your own.
That's the legility, the ethics are awhole 'nuther issue.

Wolfman
11-25-2008, 11:16 AM
if the post by statler is true, and i hope it is, all of you who said that you would willingly pass judgement and shoot a dog would face the same penalties.
i hope this reminds you if and when you see it in the forest, if i ever have the chance to help prosecute any individual accused of shooting a dog (someones pet) i will travel any distance and pay any fees to do so.
if i personally witness any individual shooting at or shooting a dog i will follow that person and report them, and not give up the case until the person is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
keep this in mind when all you trigger happy heros think that your being all manly by saving a deer or whatever it would be.
remember that you are not the only ones in the bush hunting. i have seen countless numbers of other hunters hiking passed me without them knowing i am there.

Are you on the right list, man?

Just wondering, since you seem to go to quite a length dissing out members here, when the original intent of this post was to discuss the question and/or ramifications of shooting dangerous, feral dogs that are a threat to wildlife,livestock or possibly humans. My impression was that this is an ethical/conservation/safety subject, not a free-for-all, 'bust a cap on a dog for fun' kinda thing.

If you think that hunters - and I mean REAL hunters- are all a bunch of macho yahoos who take pleasure in something like putting down a dog, I think you have a pretty misinformed attitude.

I love dogs. I have two dogs as family members right now, actually. Most of the members here have dogs at home too, and I have no doubt that they love dogs as much as I do. I don't think any of the folks who have posted on this thread would feel great about having to put down a dangerous animal. Most of us would probably be sick to our stomachs at having to do something like that or would go to lengths NOT to do it - call the CO, etc. first, check to see if there was an owner for the dog, and so on.

Maybe something to think about before you go slinging any more mud at folks of good character on this list.

Wolfman

Dannybuoy
11-25-2008, 12:07 PM
I might add that untill a few years ago it was also legal for anyone witnessing dogs/cats harassing/chasing wildlife to put the animal down
Also I found this not sure if the election killed this bill and it will have to be reintroduced or not but it tells me that someone thinks there is a problem

Bill S-203 is a private member’s bill in the Senate. It has passed the Senate, passed Second Reading in the House and is awaiting debate by the Justice and Human Rights Committee, likely this fall
Bill S-203 :
permits killing stray or wild animals for no particular reason
provides extra protection for cattle and other animals and less protection for stray or wild animals
among other things

Iron Glove
11-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Show us where it is illegal....what law book does this state it is illegal?

Under the B.C. Wildlife Act, a Conservation Officer can destroy a pet that is at large and is harassing wildlife. The pet owner will be charged.

Sorry, but of course I meant it was illegal for an individual other than an officer to kill the dogs. I kinda thought that would be apparant in the context of this thread but one should not assume anything I guess. :frown:

Barracuda
11-25-2008, 12:24 PM
I might add that untill a few years ago it was also legal for anyone witnessing dogs/cats harassing/chasing wildlife to put the animal down
Also I found this not sure if the election killed this bill and it will have to be reintroduced or not but it tells me that someone thinks there is a problem

Bill S-203 is a private member’s bill in the Senate. It has passed the Senate, passed Second Reading in the House and is awaiting debate by the Justice and Human Rights Committee, likely this fall
Bill S-203 :
permits killing stray or wild animals for no particular reason
provides extra protection for cattle and other animals and less protection for stray or wild animals
among other things

and this is bill s-203 http://www2.parl.gc.ca/content/Senate/Bills/392/public/S-203/S-203_1/S-203_text-e.htm

and this is the bill that the SPCA wants to endorse
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=2450077&Language=e&Mode=1&File=30

Please tell me when it was legal . There has not been any laws on the books specifically outlining a private citizens right to do as you say for the reasons you have given. Perhaps you are confusing places?

secondly laws that are allready on the books such as CCofC 445 to name one remain intact.

Perhaps i can dig out an old Martins a see if I can find something if you can point me in the direction that i might find it

Injuring or endangering other animals
(1) Every one commits an offence who, wilfully and without lawful excuse,

(a) kills, maims, wounds, poisons or injures dogs, birds or animals that are not cattle and are kept for a lawful purpose; or

(b) places poison in such a position that it may easily be consumed by dogs, birds or animals that are not cattle and are kept for a lawful purpose.

Punisment

(2) Every one who commits an offence under subsection (1) is guilty of
(a) an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term of not more than eighteen months or to both.
R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 445; 2008, c. 12, s. 1.

boxhitch
11-25-2008, 12:24 PM
D, that whole animal rights debate is about to blow up. Bill s-373 could be the end of hunting as we know it. Originally both bills are to address issues with the handling of pets, but s-203 is a far more sane approach.
s-373 could be extrapolated to take in all wildlife, crippling
Dangerous stuff that isn't getting the attention it should.

Dannybuoy
11-25-2008, 12:35 PM
[quote=Barracuda;365479]Please tell me when it was legal . There has not been any laws on the books specifically outlining a private citizens right to do as you say for the reasons you have given. Perhaps you are confusing places?
When I looked up the wildlife act regarding this , I found that the law allowing you or I to kill dogs chasing wildlife etc had been repealed in I believe 1997 or 98 ...

Ddog
11-25-2008, 12:56 PM
wolfman...a non hunter....

i am simply stating the fact that one cannot kill a dog, other than coyote, wolves. perhaps you should read the regs as well, if you even have the regs seeing that you dont hunt.
the question is not about feral dogs, if it was i would be in favour of an open season on them if they were in the regs.
the question was what would you do if saw dogs chasing wildlife.
somewhere along the lines you obviously mis understood and went the wrong way.
In BC according to our regulations at the current time there is no mention of wild or feral dogs, therefore you cannot shoot them.
before you go and single someone out by putting words in there mouths by saying that i think that hunters are a bunch of macho yahoos perhaps you should read some of my posts,, i am a hunter first and foremost , i did not say anything like real hunters are that.
it is a question of right and wrong, pick-up some regs wolfman.
i think you are pretty misinformed, and should read again.

Barracuda
11-25-2008, 01:04 PM
prior to the Animal cruelty laws the essentially same piece of protective law was under property and had been since the late 1890 so unless you are over 118 years of age you have not been allowed to shoot a dog cattle etc that was owned by someone in your lifetime unless it was harming or harrassing property people or yourself or there was a specific authorization in place.

Gateholio
11-25-2008, 01:10 PM
and this is bill s-203 http://www2.parl.gc.ca/content/Senate/Bills/392/public/S-203/S-203_1/S-203_text-e.htm

and this is the bill that the SPCA wants to endorse
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=2450077&Language=e&Mode=1&File=30

Please tell me when it was legal . There has not been any laws on the books specifically outlining a private citizens right to do as you say for the reasons you have given. Perhaps you are confusing places?

secondly laws that are allready on the books such as CCofC 445 to name one remain intact.

Perhaps i can dig out an old Martins a see if I can find something if you can point me in the direction that i might find it

Injuring or endangering other animals
(1) Every one commits an offence who, wilfully and without lawful excuse,

(a) kills, maims, wounds, poisons or injures dogs, birds or animals that are not cattle and are kept for a lawful purpose; or

(b) places poison in such a position that it may easily be consumed by dogs, birds or animals that are not cattle and are kept for a lawful purpose.

Punisment

(2) Every one who commits an offence under subsection (1) is guilty of
(a) an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term of not more than eighteen months or to both.
R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 445; 2008, c. 12, s. 1.

Probably have to dig a bit deeper into this law to see if it is applicable to dogs illeglaly pursuing wildlife on crown land.

Barracuda
11-25-2008, 01:21 PM
that is exactly why it has to be someone authorized by stipulation or authority that destroys the animal as it is a CCof C situation.

Wildlife is not our property to protect thats is the crowns responsibility.

Now i am not saying that the laws are foolproof or even have to make sense but it is on the books that way and has been for a very long time.

If the laws change to make it legal to punch holes in ferals(sched C) then by all means do so but as it stands now they are not and i dont see it changing to accomadate this issue.

Gateholio
11-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Be interesting to know if anyone has been charged for shooting a dog that was illegally pursuing wildlife, and what the charges were.

Barracuda
11-25-2008, 02:36 PM
would have to check the data bases surrounding convictions on that one.

heck in canada it is even a no no to threaten animals:eek: (and yes there have been convictions)

If 373 gets in it could give teeth to those that are not pleased with hunting.

Uttering threats (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fr/ShowDoc/cs/C-46/bo-ga:l_VIII::bo-ga:l_IX//fr?page=6&isPrinting=false#codese:264_1)
264.1 (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fr/ShowDoc/cs/C-46/bo-ga:l_VIII::bo-ga:l_IX//fr?page=6&isPrinting=false#codese:264_1) (1) Every one commits an offence who, in any manner, knowingly utters, conveys or causes any person to receive a threat

(a) to cause death or bodily harm to any person;

(b) to burn, destroy or damage real or personal property; or

(c) to kill, poison or injure an animal or bird that is the property of any person.

snowhunter
08-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Dogs are domisticated wild animals, which given a chance, will "pack up" with other dogs, and knowing man, they have no fear of him, and will given a chance, attack and kill man.

I know one man, who while being chased by a pack of wild dogs, run into a railroad tunnel for safety.

Once, while hiking, I had a run in with two wild dogs, which after I watched hunt for food, as well as could not decide what kind of wild animals they were at first, hunting during daylight hours, when they decided I was going to be their next meal.

Standing their ground, barking and showing their fangs within 10 meters of me, I did not even think or hear the two shoots from my 1894 Marlin 44 magnum, that send a 240 grain bullet the full lenght through one of them.

As it expired, it look at me and wagled it's tail. I felt bad that I missed with my other shoot.

OOBuck
08-20-2009, 07:02 AM
I used sawmills post simply to point out that even in that situation he was not legally entitled to destroy the dogs for that reason. Most folks think that they can shoot a dog for merely tresspassing but that is not true but i could understand the mistake.

the reference i was makeing to lawbreakers is that it is no different then anyone shooting any animal they are not legally entitled to do so. A person that Illegally kills or steals animals is a poacher by definition.

Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law

I always new you couldn't teach common sence, you have proved it again. Your right were all wrong can we move on???????:roll:

Barracuda
08-20-2009, 09:15 AM
I said exsqueeze me :lol:

mxracer328
08-20-2009, 09:33 AM
ammo is cheap compared to someones cattle, i say blast away, everyone could use some target practice

elkdom
08-20-2009, 09:38 AM
any dog at large, running cattle or wild life is a DEAD DOG!,

Slickfork
08-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Mr HORSHUR! you are mistaken about livestock having to be of off crown land in Aug.
Roundup from crown land or leases are something I have been involved with for close to 30 years.
By involment I mean I'm the cowboy doing the job.

horshur
08-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Mr HORSHUR! you are mistaken about livestock having to be of off crown land in Aug.
Roundup from crown land or leases are something I have been involved with for close to 30 years.
By involment I mean I'm the cowboy doing the job.

look at the date of the post........this is a old thread.

Slickfork
08-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Mr Horsur! Sorry!

brad ferris
08-20-2009, 11:04 AM
i thought wild dogs were wolves coyotes and foxes. for which there is a hunting season.anything else you encounter is a domestic or ferral canine.i guess the point i'm making is the poll is poorly worded.

we must all be willing to be held acountable for our actions.if a person decides to shoot my dog or a dog i am running they will be held accountable.just as i would be held accountable if my dog damaged property.if there are areas of the province that do have a ferral dog problem then steps should be taken to protect the wildlife resource.

on occasion good dogs will "trash" or pursue an unintended species.some hounds have bayed up moose and treed domestic cats on the cat owners front porch.these incidents are regrettable but not just cause to kill a domestic dog.

lets not get trigger happy just to prove a point.use sound judgement and respect other peoples property and ways of hunting.

brad

horshur
08-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Mr Horsur! Sorry!

no worries...