PDA

View Full Version : Fly Tying Kit.

wetcoastwillie
11-22-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm looking for a nice fly tying kit... Tried both Omnica & Grouse River (site sponsors) sites but they list nothing in the "fly" section.

Any suggestions, anything I should be looking for or looking to stay away from?

I'm figuring a nice one is in the $200 range?

killman
11-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Wetcoastwillie, Do you tye flies now? I found that like most kits they come with stuff that you won't use or will want to update to something better right away. You might be better to research abit and get the stuff you need. Have a look at what patterns you are wanting to try and get the material you will need instead of having a bunch of feathers and crap you will never use. Are you going to whip finish? Many don't, so no need for a whip finisher. And so on.

Sasquatch
11-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I've been tying for a long time and I have to agree with killman. You are probably better off buying a decent vice and materials you need for whatever flies you want to tie.
Make a list of the flies you want and it will narrow down the list a little.

You can buy quite a bit of material for that $200 without having a bunch of stuff you will never use.

If you get a cheap vice, scissors and bobbin in a kit, you will want to upgrade them really quickly most likely.

Watch out, tying flies is really addictive.

hlram
11-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Like Killman said if your just starting out, start with a basic vise like a Griffin for around $70 and other accessories will be $20-30 range.
Materials is the killer for cost, but if you hunt "duh" ,keep deer hair,moose etc. I went from a basic to a rotory vise.

FlyingHigh
11-22-2008, 11:35 AM
i'm with killman on this. your much better off to buy the parts separately.

the basics:

Vise - the most important tool. there are so many to choose from. find on you like and can afford.

Bobbin - this holds your thread and is the 2nd most important tool. make sure you get one with teh ceramic insert in the tube. this will enure you don't cut the thread by accident.

Scissors - get 2 pair. one pair of nice, razor sharp surgical grade. these will be for your material and thread cutting needs. then get a cheaper, stouter pair. this will be for cutting your lead wrap, wire rib etc. it will prevent those materials from duling your main pair.

Whip Finisher - this ties the knot when you're done the fly. there are different kinds out there. find one you like.

Hair Stacker - this evens up the tips of hairs (deer, elk etc). it makes for much nicer flies. again, many kinds, find one you like.

Hackle Pliers - not mandatory but nice when you're tying small dries and need precise hackle.

Bobbin Threader - kind of a lazy boy tool. just makes threading the bobbin faster.'

Dubbing Pick - helps to flush out the bodies on dubbed nymphs and dries.

that's about it for major tools. Dragonfly makes the "budget" line of tools. decently priced and ok quality. i use Griffin, which are high end, and very good quality. a bit more expensive.

as for materials, you should find out what you're fishing for and what kind of flies you will be using. then buy the appropriate materials. get down to your local shop and tell them what you're looking for. they should be able to help you out.

shantz
11-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Check out Trout Water Supplies in kelowna they had 2 or 3 nice ones last time i was in there or wholesale in kamloops.

wetcoastwillie
11-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks or the info.

It's a Christmas present for an avid fisherman. I do not tye flies myself so I'm not really sure what I want.

Mostly lake fishing throughout BC so I would say a "westcoast mix".

I'm guessing a good book would show me what I need if I where to put together a "kit" myself.

Any suggestions on a good book or reference material to start with?

wetcoastwillie
11-22-2008, 11:46 AM
i'm with killman on this. your much better off to buy the parts separately.

the basics:

Vise - the most important tool. there are so many to choose from. find on you like and can afford.

Bobbin - this holds your thread and is the 2nd most important tool. make sure you get one with teh ceramic insert in the tube. this will enure you don't cut the thread by accident.

Scissors - get 2 pair. one pair of nice, razor sharp surgical grade. these will be for your material and thread cutting needs. then get a cheaper, stouter pair. this will be for cutting your lead wrap, wire rib etc. it will prevent those materials from duling your main pair.

Whip Finisher - this ties the knot when you're done the fly. there are different kinds out there. find one you like.

Hair Stacker - this evens up the tips of hairs (deer, elk etc). it makes for much nicer flies. again, many kinds, find one you like.

Hackle Pliers - not mandatory but nice when you're tying small dries and need precise hackle.

Bobbin Threader - kind of a lazy boy tool. just makes threading the bobbin faster.'

Dubbing Pick - helps to flush out the bodies on dubbed nymphs and dries.

that's about it for major tools. Dragonfly makes the "budget" line of tools. decently priced and ok quality. i use Griffin, which are high end, and very good quality. a bit more expensive.

as for materials, you should find out what you're fishing for and what kind of flies you will be using. then buy the appropriate materials. get down to your local shop and tell them what you're looking for. they should be able to help you out.

Awesome, Thanks!

Sasquatch
11-22-2008, 11:47 AM
The Gilly.

Great info and a pile of BC patterns.

killman
11-22-2008, 11:49 AM
The Gilly.

Great info and a pile of BC patterns.

X2 excellent book. If you could remember everything in this book flyfishing would be a breeze.

Browningmirage
11-22-2008, 12:06 PM
also, any books by Skip Morris...the one i have is fly tying made clear and simple (was 30$ for spiral bound), excellent book for beginner instructions to tying flies,and has a complete list of the "essentials to flytying", he also lets you know what you WILL need and what you might need...like a bobbin threader or whip finisher (you can do the same thing with your hand, i have one, and have never used it). The Gilly has patterns, but no step by step instructions if i recall correctly, which is what a beginner will need (Skip also teaches techniques in the book)

Sasquatch
11-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Browningmirage you are right, the Gilly has no instructions for tying the patterns and as a beginner some will be needed.

I have never used my whip finisher either and find it easier to do by hand. I use the blue dental floss threaders for my bobbin and they work great.

Best thing for new tyers is to find someone to help get you started in person. One or two lessons with someone experienced will be invaluable in saved time and aggravation.

Chuck
11-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Wetcoastwillie, Do you tye flies now? I found that like most kits they come with stuff that you won't use or will want to update to something better right away. You might be better to research abit and get the stuff you need. Have a look at what patterns you are wanting to try and get the material you will need instead of having a bunch of feathers and crap you will never use. Are you going to whip finish? Many don't, so no need for a whip finisher. And so on.

That's what I would do too!

frenchbar
11-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Lots of flytying sites on the internet that have pictured step by step instructions on tying flies.Get a top notch vise for sure,and yes it does get addicting.

Browningmirage
11-22-2008, 01:27 PM
www.flybc.ca (http://www.flybc.ca)

lots of good info there

wetcoastwillie
11-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info everyone, It's just what I was looking for.

muddler
11-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Probably the best move if you are just starting out is to join your local fly fishing club. There you will likely find a group of experienced and friendly guys who are willing to share their knowledge and materials.

FlyingHigh
11-23-2008, 12:32 PM
another book you could consider is The Ultimate Flybox. it's published by BC Outdoors magazine. you should be able to order it from their website. it's probably the best flytying book i've ever seen and it's BC specific.

http://www.bcosportfishing.com/content/view/206/236/

300H&H
11-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Have you tried "Trout Waters" in Kelowna. The guys are very helpful.
They may even Fedex out your order.

Tarp Man
11-24-2008, 09:20 PM
I would call Reaction Fly and Tackle in Abbotsford. They do lots of stuff over the internet, and are very helpful. Lots of options on vises, tools, materials, etc. Tell them Jonathan sent you.

behemoth
11-24-2008, 09:47 PM
I wouldn't buy the Gilly, it's more of a how to flyfish, not how to flytie. A great local book for lakes is "Fly Patterns for Stillwaters by Phil Rowley."

Also, you should know that tying flies for trout lakes in the interior is very different from tying flies for the rivers and oceans on the coast.
I have been tying flies for interior stillwaters for years and have bucketloads of materials. Last year I started travelling down to the mainland for work and fish mornings and nights around work. The materials needed are soooooooo different, it feels like a completely different sport. Different colors, bigger hooks, longer hackle, etc.. (keep shelling out the cash, just don't tell the wife)
Just dont get into fly tying because you think it's cheaper;)