PDA

View Full Version : dewdney mountain

ruger#1
09-25-2005, 12:55 PM
took a drive up to the mountain today .seen three grouse and a nice black bear, he was about one hundred yards away , didnt even know i was there. watched him for about ten minutes, and let him feed on what ever he was eating. all in all it was a very good morning.

Steeleco
09-25-2005, 05:19 PM
You had a better day than me, took my son out to Skagit, went down this road to a very nice and promising valley, but at a cost. I've never been closer to rolling a vehicle and we were 20km from the main road. Pucker factor has never been higher. Took some awsome pictures and had a good day with the kid but not one animal sighted, still a good EXCITING day non the less.

bsa30-06
09-25-2005, 07:43 PM
hey ruger#1 sounds like you had a better day than me as well.I spent all day out on the back roads around harrison only to find 2 locked gates and absolutely no dam animals.

rock
09-25-2005, 07:50 PM
hey ruger#1 sounds like you had a better day than me as well.I spent all day out on the back roads around harrison only to find 2 locked gates and absolutely no dam animals. How far did you go up, is the bridge still out, there is a few kilometer marks that are good for deer.

ruger#1
09-25-2005, 07:55 PM
the bear and grouse were up high, we need some snow, seen one set of fresh deer tracks and lots of old, still lots of berries for the bears. found two gates lots of new clear cuts and a bridge that was washed out, went about twenty feet down and 40 yards across, road would of took me to the very top, also found a gut pile , so some one was lucky. one road i was on you could drive a car on. at 10:30 is when the four wheelers started to roll in. there was one field up top with berries and grass and lots of bear sign. mark

Duner
09-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Check if it is still behind the Sasquatch Inn if it isn't i guess it is in.

ruger#1
09-25-2005, 08:00 PM
hey duner what are you talking about.

Duner
09-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Sorry,

the bride at Harrison

bsa30-06
09-25-2005, 08:05 PM
I went as far as the cogburn creek campsites just a short way passed the logging camp, and hiked up every road on the way down to the camp.

ruger#1
09-25-2005, 08:06 PM
are they taking out the bridge over the river. the bridge that i was talking about was up on dewdney mountain,all washed out. i was going to go back to dickson lake.

Maxx
09-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Ruger- do you take the sowqua road to get to dewdney, I thought that was gated at km 9?

ruger#1
09-26-2005, 04:08 AM
i go to dewdney up along suicide creek and the gate is gone. your thinking about rose creek.

Steeleco
09-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Mark you gotta know if I had been with you that bear may have had a different end to his day 8)8)8) Although the harder I look the less I see. Am I the only one??

ruger#1
09-26-2005, 05:00 PM
dave next time we will go up and get it, maxx you must be coming off of sylvester road. lot of those roads are blocked, or washed out. animals are up high until the snow pushes them down or the deer start rutting.

rollingrock
09-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Dave, nothing hurts more than you bumping into something unexpected, making a perfect shot, dropping the target like a rock and then being unable to recover the game cuz it was washed away by water. That made my last weekend quite miserable.

Maxx
09-26-2005, 06:47 PM
What time do you think the deer rut starts in the lower mainland?

Steeleco
09-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Dave, nothing hurts more than you bumping into something unexpected, making a perfect shot, dropping the target like a rock and then being unable to recover the game cuz it was washed away by water. That made my last weekend quite miserable.

That sounds like a tale that needs a coffee and some time to hear. I know what it's like to loose game but that sounds just unfair.

Like I always say "Mother nature's a B#@*H!!!"

That's what I was meaning to do!!!!:eek:

ruger#1
09-26-2005, 09:49 PM
when i see the bucks chasing the does around sylvester road it is mid october. i seen one big four pointer in december , season was over and there was lots of snow.hope we get lots of early snow.love it up around salsbury lake, lots of deer tracks.lots of fun with out chains.

Maxx
09-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Ruger- Thanks for the info.

ch valley hunter
09-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Are you going up mid week any time?

rollingrock
09-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Hi Ruger, to get up there do you need a 4x4 or a quad? how is the road condition?

Steeleco
09-27-2005, 01:31 PM
There's lots of areas you can beat up a truck but there's just as many that are easy 2wd access. Hence the amount of bruned out stolen cars left behind by the dipshits in the area. Mid week seems better as most idiots must have to work. I'm refering to Sylvester road incase anyone didn't know :-(

ruger#1
09-27-2005, 05:12 PM
i have to work all week and go to school on saturdays,the road up to dewdney m is 4x4 only. the road to nicomen m is 2x4 there are some cross ditched higher up you have to be careful. deroche m is 4x4 all the way. didnt go up there , this year might be washed out , might try it sunday, i have one bad u joint on the truck so i dont want to push it. seen one ford pickup truck all burnt up where i hunt in deroche, it gave me an uneasy feeling so i did a half hour hunt, then came out. seems like they burn trucks and cars where ever they want. in lousiana you have the right to shoot the person who is stealing your car .up here all they do is slap the theif on the wrist. any one messing with my truck better beware. i wont be walking home.

rollingrock
09-27-2005, 09:34 PM
holy crap! are you serious? why type people are they? I thought only hunters, anglers or hikers like us would go into the mountains.

Steeleco
09-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Take a drive up just about any road out that way and you'll be supprized what you'll see. The ones with the orange paint markings have already been seen by the RCMP!!

rollingrock
09-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Holy! So these scumbags are risking their lives if the cars/trucks they burn belong to hunters:shock: ?

Steeleco
09-28-2005, 02:02 PM
I think most of the vehicles are stolen elsewhere and dumped there. But let's not let a few Aholes give everyone on these roads a bad rap, hell I'm on them all the time!!!

Although I can tell you a story about a dirt biker, a remote slash and a set of crosshairs. 8)8)8)

lip_ripper00
09-28-2005, 02:37 PM
I never leave anything of value in my tracker, and when I fish the Chehalis I leave it in some pretty remote places,I leave a couple of 45-70 rounds on the seat:)

ruger#1
09-28-2005, 07:49 PM
this rain should be good to find fresh deer tracks, when it stops .

rollingrock
09-28-2005, 08:01 PM
this rain should be good to find fresh deer tracks, when it stops .

:mrgreen: well only if you have time to go out there right after. but it's said the rain will stop a bit this weekend.

btw, do you guys think the deer start moving already? or maybe another half month?

ruger#1
09-28-2005, 08:10 PM
need some very cold weather up top, but you never know where they will be, im going up on sunday to nicomen mountain, there is a new slash up there you can drive to it also has a nice platue, they are taking the corn down from behind my work . i am going to try to get a goose with my bow, got with in eight feet of them last year. about thirty geese in that bunch. should be fun.

rollingrock
10-01-2005, 08:12 PM
need some very cold weather up top, but you never know where they will be, im going up on sunday to nicomen mountain, there is a new slash up there you can drive to it also has a nice platue, they are taking the corn down from behind my work . i am going to try to get a goose with my bow, got with in eight feet of them last year. about thirty geese in that bunch. should be fun.

Ruger, I went to the roads leading to Dewdney and Nicomen today on my way back. Man, how dare you call them ROADs? :evil: They're goat trails! :biggrin:

ruger#1
10-01-2005, 08:59 PM
rolling what roads are you on, dewdney mountain had cross ditches so deep i kept dragging my bumper.

Steeleco
10-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Ruger, I went to the roads leading to Dewdney and Nicomen today on my way back. Man, how dare you call them ROADs? :evil: They're goat trails! :biggrin:

Them's the best roads, that's why my white jeep has green pin striping:neutral:

I've never done the roads you guys are talking about, but that will change soon I hope.

rollingrock
10-01-2005, 09:32 PM
I was on Hawkins Pickle, went through that gate saying up to 1km are private properties and roads. I also tried Deroche to Nicome. Man, both roads sucks!

To avoid cross ditch, you can do this. Find two short cut logs about 15 to 20 cm in diameter. When you see deep ditches, put the logs in there for tires on both sides and you're done. I always keep them in my car.

ruger#1
10-01-2005, 10:09 PM
rolling go into where the bridge crosses over suicide creek then take the next road to you right. that will take you to the new clear cut and to nicomen mountian,then to deroche mountain, i used to have a cj5, never went to the bars to busy 4x4 in the mountains. dave i will get you there but if you get stuck, dont blame me , i hope you carry a jackall and some chain. and lots of tims coffee.

Fred
10-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Ex and I were in there last spring in the fog. Man, did I get turned around!:???: I thought we were going to come out on Sylvester road. :oops: Fred