PDA

View Full Version : Boundary Bay today

Phoneguy
11-21-2008, 03:28 PM
I was pointed at Boundary Bay by another member here, and seeing as I have some vacation days left to burn I thought I would try it out. Went to the foot of 72nd, got there around 8AM. The tide was way out, and so were the ducks. I hung around until around 11:30, tide was getting closer, and some ducks were moving, but everything stayed out of range.

Then I drove around a bit and saw a huge flock of snow geese in a field. Tried to get permission from the farmer to hunt them but no one was home.

Ah well, thats hunting, right?

James

Gunner
11-21-2008, 03:41 PM
I only hunted the Bay when there was a good Sou'Easter,you could wade out to the stranded logs offshore and tie a string of decoys off to the log.Tough shooting,and I went over my waders a few times(watch out for the ditches 2 or 3' underwater!),but the harder the wind was blowing the better it was. Gunner

branthunter
11-22-2008, 02:22 PM
I only hunted the Bay when there was a good Sou'Easter,you could wade out to the stranded logs offshore and tie a string of decoys off to the log.Tough shooting,and I went over my waders a few times(watch out for the ditches 2 or 3' underwater!),but the harder the wind was blowing the better it was. Gunner

I echo that--without a big southeast on the Bay you're not going to get much shooting. I started hunting out there back in the sixties on my own (ie. without Dad, who was strictly a field shooter) in my teens and have some fond memories of those days. Not about killing ducks so much, 'cause I couldn't hit a thing in those days (still couldn't on Monday last week), but more about learning about being out in the weather, what weather and tide was good, and surviving difficult situations (freezing salt water on the hands, wading back to the dyke in 3 ft. of water in the dark with a bag of decoys over one shoulder and a gun in the other hand, surrounded by floating driftwood and using that to get across the ditches Gunner mentioned). Stick with it 'cause this part's is one of the best parts, ie. the learning curve--there's no better fun

slyfox
12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
I hunt b bay all the time and get good numbers of ducks the trick with hunting the area is high tide go 2 hours before the tide starts to go up and get some decoys and a robo duck and a good place to hide or a blind and you should have know problem getting ducks most ducks will be weigion and teil and some pintails good hunting.

sneg
12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
I stop going to BB,b/c couple times had to share it with windsurfers -paragliders ??...not safe and not fun.altough seen some guys shooting over their decoys,while those surfers ride the wind a hundred yards away.I think it is plain stupid.

movingdecoy
12-10-2008, 11:27 PM
I stop going to BB,b/c couple times had to share it with windsurfers -paragliders ??...not safe and not fun.altough seen some guys shooting over their decoys,while those surfers ride the wind a hundred yards away.I think it is plain stupid.

not paragliders i think they are kiteboarders if there is a human in your sights then you shouldn't shoot at around or near them.