PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Encounters

longhairmtnman
11-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Back in October, we are on a moose hunt in 5-13. First night there we are chilling at camp pondering the next days hunt, and here comes a wolf pack howling in the dark, and obviously coming in our general direction. Always a cool sound to hear.
Soon the Devils are well within spitting distance, and people start to get nervous. :-P So I'm in the trailer mixing my famous Cesear, when I hear my buddy calling(while actually kinda screaming!) my name. I come out of the camper and he has his back to the fire and gun in hand. He yells " it was right f'n there behind me" (the chair he was sitting in) Well apparently the pack came in to check us out, and one of the beasts got withing 25 feet of him in his chair(as it was paced off). Just the sound of a twig snapping drew his attention to where it had stood! I grabbed the lantern and headed out onto the road and there were two, not 20 yds away. Over the course of the next 10 days we had shots at them several mornings, but never connected.
Anybody have a wolf come into camp?

BearSniper
11-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Wow!:???: No, haven't yet had that.

I actually wouldn't mind having that happen to me. Freaky but exciting.

I 'd have plugged one of them for sure. I'd say you would have been well within your rights as regards to self defence or safety.

25 feet is too close. How do you know what was on its mind?

Better safe than sorry.

boxhitch
11-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Over the course of the next 10 days we had shots at them several mornings, but never connected.

Thats too bad.

Barracuda
11-21-2008, 12:29 AM
there are a great many of them around that folks dont realize. Did you actually shot at them and they still hung around? Pretty ballsy animals that i would say need a tune up in the fear of man department.

The valley we were in yesterday had wolf tracks and scat (plus deer) . Dont think we will be running our hounds in that valley this year:shock:

hunter1947
11-21-2008, 04:00 AM
I have never had a wolf come into camp.

I did confront a pack when I was hunting for moose years back up near redfern lake 7-42.
In the one pack a big male came right in at me well the other 4 circled around to my left ,I shot and killed the big male then the others took off.

What I think happened is the wind was coming strait at me and the wolfs were up wind of me so they could not smell me as for there where 6 moose all around me and I think they were stalking the moose and I happened to be there ??????.

mainland hunter
11-21-2008, 06:30 AM
We had a pack come into camp in chetwynd 4 yrs ago. Heard them howling in the distance as I was falling asleep, a little while later my hunting partner woke me up to hear how close they were, fell back asleep and a little while later got woken up again and they were right outside the tent, One was growling like a dog gaurding a bone. I think they were passing through as they moved out pretty quick after we made some noise. It woke me up in a hurry though. My Dad's group had a pack move quietly through their camp in gang ranch as well, there were tracks in the snow in the morning right past the tent.

lilhoss
11-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Same thing,right near the Gang Ranch,deer hunt in november.The Dogs were chasing a deer,and the whole thing went through our camp ,on either side and all around.Mid afternoon!Deer got away.. after a few shots scattered 'em.

One Shot
11-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Last week while hunting SE of Merrit I woke up to the soft noise of foot falls outside my tent. I listened intently thinking it was my friend out making a head call, but I could heard him breathing in the next tent. I could see an out line in the night light against the tent wall with a nose pressed up aginst the tent's fly and wall and could hear it sniffing the air. I clapped and it went away. The next morning we woke up to a pile of scat less than 100' from the tent.

ultramafic
11-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Last year hunting with a couple of buddies in 6-1 ( borders on 5-13 ) we were hearing wolves all week we were there. We were fortunate to harvest a couple of moose for our shared draw and on our last night we could hear the buggers howling all night long, not too far away from our camp.

In the morning on the day we were going to pack up I found several wolf tracks in the mud all around our camp ( but none inside of the perimeter). Just before we were to pack up all our gear and moose I could hear some cracking in the bushes across the road from us and a Wolf stepped out onto the road about 50-75 yards away from me.

It was there so long I called one of my buddies over to take a look at it. As soon as we decided it was time to grab a rifle though that thing took off like a rocket.

It would not have surprised me if we had stayed another night if they had come right into our camp the next night.

mike

sneg
11-21-2008, 02:57 PM
not wolfs,but coyotes.I drove early morning FSR close to Horsefly and decide to walk and check some side road.What a surprise when I returned shortly and there were coyote trucks everywhere around my car and on top of my own trucks following me into the bush for while. i never saw a thing.too bad i was bust chasing bucks, otherwise would spend some time hide ans seek

vortex
11-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Not to hijack the thread but I thought this link is kinda interesting.
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008811200348

Frango
11-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Back in the early 70's I was doing some filming on one of the islands in the high arctic.I was doing work for Pan Artic oil and the Canadian Wildlife Service.I was hanging around a mobil camp,where the rule was if you need to take a dump use the head if you just need to pee go outside.I headed outside came around the corner and not 10 feet away was a very big wolf.He was chewing on a roast the camp cook had left ouside.He growled bared his teeth and then picked up the roast and walked away.My heart was in my throat for sometime.I forgot to go pee.

Gunner
11-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread,just thought I'd throw in this,my hunting partner shot a wolf this morning,in the Fly Hills burn just west of Salmon Arm.Good sized dog,just over 100lbs.He was suprised to see it,but I knew they were there,the pack circuits from Chase Mtn. down to Bolean Lake and back thru' Fly Hills and Skimikin.They've been there for years,but there's one less now! Cheers,Gunner

ThisIsLiving
11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread,just thought I'd throw in this,my hunting partner shot a wolf this morning,in the Fly Hills burn just west of Salmon Arm.Good sized dog,just over 100lbs.He was suprised to see it,but I knew they were there,the pack circuits from Chase Mtn. down to Bolean Lake and back thru' Fly Hills and Skimikin.They've been there for years,but there's one less now! Cheers,Gunner

there are far more then just that one pack circling the fly hills bolean lake area in the past couple of years i have seen id say 6 different packs in those areas... falkland and up in those areas

killman
11-21-2008, 07:42 PM
My bothers buddies where hunting deer near Shelly this weekend and seen 18 Wolves. I think to packs. Weird to be that close together.

boxhitch
11-21-2008, 11:38 PM
hunting partner shot a wolf this morning,in the Fly Hills burn just west of Salmon Arm

more then just that one pack circling the fly hills bolean lake area in the past couple of years i have seen id say 6 different packs in those areas..
Hope they stay there until Reg 8 gets a season. We don't have wolves apparently:roll:

Dannybuoy
11-22-2008, 02:19 AM
there are far more then just that one pack circling the fly hills bolean lake area in the past couple of years i have seen id say 6 different packs in those areas... falkland and up in those areas
I have hunted the Monte hills area near falkland for years and have never seen so much as a wolf track yet .... I have heard that there was a few up the Bolean side but I havent been up that side in years ..

ElectricDyck
11-22-2008, 08:30 AM
During our recent moose hunt in 5-2d we had tracks in fresh snow within 20' of the tent, never heard or saw any though.

338 winmag
11-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Hard to hunt moose when u got wolves hanging around , decided to thin this pack out abit.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/Finlay1999.jpg

Gunner
11-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Hope they stay there until Reg 8 gets a season. We don't have wolves apparently:roll:Brian Harris says they don't like Region 8 deer,so they don't cross the Boundary line!:shock:(I saw a large single track behind the Enderby Bluffs,Nov.9th,and tracks from a group of 6 up tje North Fork the week before!) Ranchers are losing calves in the area between Sugar and Mabel Lakes,and also in the Hunters Range.This may force our biologist to give us a season on our non-exsistent wolves! Gunner

Wolfman
11-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Anybody have a wolf come into camp?

Only when I'm there :razz:

Wolfman

boxhitch
11-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Only when I'm there :razz:

WolfmanThere has got to be a joke there.
Something about a sheep costume, rubber boots .......
'A wolf in sheep's clothing ........'

boxhitch
11-22-2008, 12:05 PM
I have hunted the Monte hills area near falkland for years and have never seen so much as a wolf track yet .... I have heard that there was a few up the Bolean side but I havent been up that side in years ..
A little closer to home, sign spotted up at Crescent Lake. or a very big dog on a deer kill.

Chuck
11-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I hate hunting where the wolves are hanging out. They seem to get everything worked up and in a tizzy, although I suppose they could work to one's advantage also by running some game right to me. All the wolves I've encountered steered clear of us - must have had earlier education.

jeeper
11-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Hope they stay there until Reg 8 gets a season. We don't have wolves apparently:roll:

Saw a wolf in region 8, 3 weeks back :(I was very surprised when checkin the regs to see there was no open season ! I had always assumed they were open everywhere !

Bruce

Thats only the second time I have seen a wolf in the wild . Im amazed at how many have seen them in this thread !

coquitlam
11-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Just came back from Pemberton , Wolves everywhere we went. No deer anywhere

moosinaround
11-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Lots of predator tracks out there this year!! Not just wolves but big cats, and bears! Most black bear sign I have seen this late in the season. Gonna buy a predator rifle and get me a few!! Some good winter activities! Moosin

huntermike
11-22-2008, 03:14 PM
I also saw the tracks of 5-6 wolves way up the north fork reg 8-15 they followed the road for about 6 km .

TIKA 300
11-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Hard to hunt moose when u got wolves hanging around , decided to thin this pack out abit.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/Finlay1999.jpg
Thats a nice pic to see,especially the 1 on the bottom with its tongue hanging out.....

338 winmag
11-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Looks kind of odd , should have tucked it in before the photo :smile:

boxhitch
11-22-2008, 06:52 PM
No, leave the tongue out and put black X's on the eyes.
Nice haul of fur. Any plans for it ?

338 winmag
11-22-2008, 07:01 PM
My friend tanned out the largest one and the other 2 were traded off , cant recall what for now , it was a while ago.

BcBob
11-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Monte hills, Robins range, there been wolfs there for years.BcBob