PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunter Education, perceptions, experiences

Coyote
11-20-2008, 07:23 PM
I guess I'll start a seperate thread for this. I tried it on another thread but it got side tracked. This is NOT about MANDATORY bowhunter education.

For those who have not taken the course:
What are your perceptions of the course, its content and value? What could you learn?

For those who have taken the course:
What is your opinion on its value to you as a bowhunter? Knowing what you know would you recommend it to others. If so, to whom would you recommend it?

Again, no hidden agenda, they're honest questions. It will help me develop my own opinions.

Just so you know. I've taken the course and I help teach it.

'yote

Kirby
11-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Personally I haven't taken the course, so I guess I am a perfect candidate to answer the questions.

1- I think it would be very similar to the CORE program with an emphasis on archery such as Equipment maintenance Different types of equipment. by this I mean everything from your release to your broadhead.

2- information about hunting, strategies, techniques, tracking etc.

3- Not sure what I could learn. I've been in the archery field for over 20 years and have been bowhunting for 16 years. I am sure there are things I don't know, just not sure what I would learn there.

4- Never having taken the course it does interest me, not so much as a learning tactic for myself but to know if I should recommend new bowhunters to it. Kinda hard to recommend something I've never taken.

Kirby

tomahawk
11-20-2008, 08:59 PM
I have taken the course and enjoyed it and learnt a lot of valuable info that relates mostly to bow hunting.

From the course I am a better blood trailer by a long stretch than I was before, I understand the vital area's of all big game animals better and I learnt more about how to get close to an animal without it knowing I'm there.

I would recommend it for sure. To anyone that is new to bowhunting or who has a desire to become a better all round hunter, whether with a bow or not.

Avalanche123
11-20-2008, 09:46 PM
I have not taken this course either but I would certainly consider as I believe I'd get something out of it. I think the course participants would generate some very good discussion.

Topics such as ethics, blood trailing, wait periods, shot placement, equipment maintenance (which includes sharpening broadheads), equipment set up etc are all good topics that I hope would be covered.

Bow Walker
11-20-2008, 09:50 PM
I guess I'll start a seperate thread for this. I tried it on another thread but it got side tracked. This is NOT about MANDATORY bowhunter education.

For those who have not taken the course:
What are your perceptions of the course, its content and value? What could you learn?

Again, no hidden agenda, they're honest questions. It will help me develop my own opinions.

Just so you know. I've taken the course and I help teach it.

'yote
I'm in the same boat as Kirby, in that I haven't taken the IBEP - yet. So my answers will be 'slanted'. I'll number them as Kirby did.

1. Perceptions/pre-conceived notions? I'd have to say that going by what I've read and/or heard it's a good thing to have under your belt. From this side of 'graduation', I believe that every bowhunter wannabe probably should take advantage of it.

2. Content/value? I've not too much of an idea about that, but I'd imagine that it would (should) cover any and all things required to harvest an animal in the most efficient and humane manner possible. The value of the foregoing would be self evident.

3. What could you learn? To be a better hunter perhaps? To be a more ethical bowhunter? To learn to recognize and avoid attempting low percentage shots? To develop patience in waiting for a decent shot opportunity and to be able to recognize one when it presents itself? And - perhaps most important - anatomy. Where are the vitals located? Where are they in a quartering away situation, or a broadside presentation? It's all about killing quickly and cleanly.