PDA

View Full Version : Successfull father and son hunt

brianscott
11-20-2008, 06:47 PM
I just moved to Calgary to go to SAIT for my final year of welding.
I had the weekend off so i decided to come back to BC for a last ditch effort whitetail hunt.

Day one i jumped a big 5x5 and never got a shot at him and had a mulie doe feed to within 8 feet of where i was sitting up against a tree, never knew i was there.

Day 2

New area, as we are loading our rifles before starting walking, BOOM!
From aabout 200 yards away, as we begin to walk we see another hunter standing over a nice 3 point whitey.

We stopped and talked for a bit and continued on our way, nothing was seen for the rest of the day.
as we returned to the truck we decided to take the quad up a couple of trails, the first trail brought us to some private property so we turned around to take the second trail.

More of the same, nothing, untill about 100 feet from the end of the trail
when I spotted something about 130 yards off of the trail.
I hopped off the quad and chambered a round, and took a look through the binos. Whitetail!, Doe, Dam...... Or is it?

The leupold Century edition 3x9 revealed something that lookd like an odd shaped antler on the deer,or just an ugly antler shaped stick ( the other side was concealed behind a tree).

I was unable to tell if it was an antler then after about 2 mins of looking at it , it turned its head and the ugly stick turned with it.
I whispered to my dad" its a buck, im gonna take it", with a click off goes the safety.

I apply 3 pounds pressure to the trigger and it breaks crisply, sending 165 grains of bonded lead and copper screaming out the end of the barrel on its path of destruction.

The deer bucks and spins on its back legs and the last thing i see is the white of its ass as it hits the dirt.

the 165 grain federal fusion did its job entering in front of its left shoulder
near the base of the neck.
It destroyed one lung and severed all of the arteries leading in and out of the heart, and just touched the liver before exiting in between the the ribs near the back of the ribcage.

After a run in with another buck on the way to collect mine we reached my buck.

It became clear to me why I had a hard time putting a rack on the deer, it was a small 3 point but during velvet he had damaged his left antlerant it had a bit of a club an an odd point. Not to mention he had broken off the first point on his main beam.

Not a monster , thats for sure but it is the first deer of the 7 i have taken, that I have shot with my dad

This is probably the most memorable deer i have shot so far, especailly having my dad there with me.
And it is my first kill with my new 700Ti in 308

It will eat well and the memories will last forever
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr229/brianscott1986/IMG_0067-1.jpg

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr229/brianscott1986/IMG_0069.jpg

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr229/brianscott1986/IMG_0070.jpg

sawmill
11-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Nice eating buck and good you could take it with your Dad.That`s good stuff.

Steeleco
11-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Those hunts are not soon forgotten. Congrats to you both.

Will
11-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Nice Lil Whitey Buck ! :smile:
Nice Rifle too BTW ! Love those Ti's:smile:
Congrats :cool:

1/2 slam
11-20-2008, 07:47 PM
I agree 100%. Those hunts are what great memories are made of. Congratulations.

hunter1947
11-21-2008, 04:27 AM
That is a very fine animal you scored on ,it will be very nice eating ,its nice that you scored it with your dad ,this hunt will be with you forever ,congrats to you and your dad.

bad arrow
11-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Thats a nice buck, good for you!