PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Hunting

aletheuo
11-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks to bartell I've been spending too much time at lerking at predatorhuntcanada.com and I'm genuinely interested in getting into coyote hunting. Looks fun.

Few questions:

I'm a little concerned that here in the EK it seems a little foolish to start squealing like a hurt rabbit lest a grizz (or wolf, cougar, perhaps black bear) decides to find an easy meal. And yet some of these things go to sleep at some time in the season, too. Just want to make sure my back is covered, I guess. What do you think - should I be concerned with getting munched on?

What's involved in the work of skinning and preparing the hide, where would one find a buyer (say, in Cranbrook) and is it worth it to bother? Or is it ok to just leave 'em for the crows?

I guess the last question depends on the previous. If i'm selling the hide what kind of gun should I be using? I'm guessing the smaller the caliber the better (such as 22-250 or perhaps 243?) I guess a guy could make up some light loads for his 30-06, eh? But I think 120 grain is the smallest he'd be able to use which would still cause lots of destruction?

Would love your thoughts.

rishu_pepper
11-20-2008, 03:12 PM
I'd like to see the mayhem caused by a 120gr flying out of a 30-06 into a coyote. But then there'll be no meat left for me :D

If it's hides you're looking for, the smaller the calibre the better.

FLHTCUI
11-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Why not the venerable .223 or if you wanna be one up on thoise at Predatorhuntingcanada try the 220 Swift and there are others. Just shoot what fits your bill ( cash on hand ) Can not answer the selling of pelts part, but with the wonders of the internet and Goggle Search buttons I am sure you will have those other answers pretty soon.
I would think the larger predators will be going to sleep soon and the Wolf and Cougars might give you a good run for your money ...the ball is in your court , LoL.
When you get your first one, dont forget to share your pics here second.
Rob
Oh Oh, there is a guy in Alberta that has shot coyotes with a .50 Cal, it was amazing to see what was left of that lil critter

11-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Try not to squeal like a pig, or you may attract hillbillies who want to make a man-party with you.

aletheuo
11-20-2008, 03:27 PM
I can see a catch 22 (pun intended). If I'm hunting yotes with a 223 or a 22-250 and a grizz or wolf(s) comes barreling at me I'm not sure that's my preferred weapon. What do others do? Can of bear spray on the hip and trusty small caliber rifle with a fast action might be the best??

And I've seen what a 180 grain 30-06 bullet does to a yote - not a pretty sight... yes, even a 120 is large.
Where's Bartell when you need 'em?

cndnmike
11-20-2008, 04:56 PM
But then there'll be no meat left for me :D

Um - Ok - I apologise if I'm being naive / gullable / or ignorant (I am kind of new to the whole hunting / game meat scene)... but seriously - RP your kidding right???

Camp Cook
11-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Don't worry at this time of year the bears are mostly snuggled up in their dens...

Me I do a lot of solo work trips and fit hunting in when I see a good area.

I will be packing either a T/C Contender carbine in 223, a Ruger M77 in 22-250 or a custom built Voerre actioned 6mm-284 this predator season and no I am not worried about bears at this time of year.

LeverActionJunkie
11-21-2008, 12:01 AM
What kind of calls do the "experts" recommend? I've never called yotes but would like to give er a go. Usually just dump them when I see em. I bought the Primos "Dog Catcher" because it said anyone could use it:):) Any other good ones?

Mr. Dean
11-21-2008, 12:51 AM
What kind of calls do the "experts" recommend? I've never called yotes but would like to give er a go. Usually just dump them when I see em. I bought the Primos "Dog Catcher" because it said anyone could use it:):) Any other good ones?

I bought a Primos Lil' Dog with an instructional CD. I can now 'talk' with yotes off the back deck and have had several show themselves.

I'm also waiting on a Johnny Walker, wireless digi caller. This winter will be my 1st attempt at pred's and I'll be using a .223 to get my 1st pup. Cats are on the list of "to do's" also.

Please note: I'm no expert; just passing on what I have found.

Mr. Dean
11-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Yes.... Rishy wants some dog meat. He's D E A D L Y serious

todbartell
11-21-2008, 01:07 AM
just buy a 223 or 22-250 and dont worry about the bears, and especially wolves. Wolf wont hurt you, you will find coyotes and wolves to sneak in most of the time, not barrel in snarling.....

FLHTCUI
11-21-2008, 07:58 AM
I bought a Primos Lil' Dog with an instructional CD. I can now 'talk' with yotes off the back deck and have had several show themselves.

I'm also waiting on a Johnny Walker, wireless digi caller. This winter will be my 1st attempt at pred's and I'll be using a .223 to get my 1st pup. Cats are on the list of "to do's" also.

Please note: I'm no expert; just passing on what I have found.

Mr Dean, wouldnt useing a player machine be against the law in the use of hunting yotes here in BC?
Just asking.
Rob

Dirty
11-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Negative, electric callers are legal for prairie poodles.

rishu_pepper
11-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Um - Ok - I apologise if I'm being naive / gullable / or ignorant (I am kind of new to the whole hunting / game meat scene)... but seriously - RP your kidding right???

Yes.... Rishy wants some dog meat. He's D E A D L Y serious

He must be new around these parts. :biggrin:

Like Mr. Dean says, deadly serious.

Jonas111
11-21-2008, 09:36 AM
I just got back from a hunting trip in Manitoba and they had a radio add saying if you buy a whitetail tag you can shoot as many coyotes as you want. After we got our whitetail we went hunting coyotes. It was fun for sure and we made $80 selling the whole animal not skinned to a local trapper.

I have a Savage 22-250 with nosler balistic tips and I can tell you that it made a hole in the coyote bigger then your 30-06 would do. I would most likely recommend using a different bullet if you are trying to sell the fur.

It was great fun and I am now going to get into it more here in BC. I have seen people use the electric rabbit in distress call to call them in here in BC so I assume they are legal. I am going to look into it a little more.

I think the 22-250 is a great gun for this. It shoots really flat and super fast. If you use the proper bullet you should get nice clean kills.

Good Luck and keep me posted.

Mr. Dean
11-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Mr Dean, wouldnt useing a player machine be against the law in the use of hunting yotes here in BC?
Just asking.
Rob

I just got back from a hunting trip in Manitoba and they had a radio add saying if you buy a whitetail tag you can shoot as many coyotes as you want. After we got our whitetail we went hunting coyotes. It was fun for sure and we made $80 selling the whole animal not skinned to a local trapper.

I have a Savage 22-250 with nosler balistic tips and I can tell you that it made a hole in the coyote bigger then your 30-06 would do. I would most likely recommend using a different bullet if you are trying to sell the fur.

It was great fun and I am now going to get into it more here in BC. I have seen people use the electric rabbit in distress call to call them in here in BC so I assume they are legal. I am going to look into it a little more.

I think the 22-250 is a great gun for this. It shoots really flat and super fast. If you use the proper bullet you should get nice clean kills.

Good Luck and keep me posted.

Electrics ARE 100% legit for calling in *most* pred's in BC. All Cats-n-Doggy's are cool. Not sure about Bears though....

I *think* that the 22-250 is a little to swift for the pups, if the intent is for hide preservation. Nearly every one that I have seen shot with one, was ripped up FUGLY on the off-side.

But again, I'm no expert.... About 99% of this knowledge comes from Yote Killing DVD's that used that round. Hours and hours and HOURS of em. :roll:

He must be new around these parts. :biggrin:

Like Mr. Dean says, deadly serious.

I can't believe that nobody has passed sumthin' your way yet. Especially with that hot model sista of yours, that everyone wants to meet with. :p

DGuest
11-21-2008, 12:54 PM
What power scopes would you guys recommend on a .223 for coyotes? How close can you generally call them into to?

todbartell
11-21-2008, 01:54 PM
I would put a 3-9x40 on a 223, the lower power range is great for moving targets inside 150 yards, compared to say a 6-18 or 6-24x scope. 9x IMO is plenty for taking coyotes out to 300-400 yards, which is stretching the distance on a 223

PS electronic callers are legal in BC for 4 years now, on coyotes, wolves, lynx, cougar, bobcat as well as pests like crows & other Sched. C critters

Mr. Dean
11-21-2008, 03:09 PM
I tried a 3-9 and didn't like it. I found it tough sighting in on clay targets @ 300yds, because of the lack of cross-hairs on em.... Last check, Yotes didn't have cross-hairs painted on them either. :razz:

I now have a 6-24 and my range hits have increased exponentially. I do agree with TB though, in that on running shots, I'll be more handicapped now.

But I'm used to being handicapped and WILL persevere! :tongue:

aletheuo
11-21-2008, 04:46 PM
... we made $80 selling the whole animal not skinned to a local trapper.

Do I need to find a local trapper to pass these suckers onto then - is there a way to find a direct fur buyer instead? Price? Skin only vs. whole?

DGuest
11-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Maybe I'll split the difference and go for a 4.5-14X 40mm.... I see Nikon has one in the Buckmasters model, what are you thoughts on Nikon scopes by the way..... sorry, starting to get off topic.

Thanks for the suggestions by the way!

todbartell
11-21-2008, 05:37 PM
I tried a 3-9 and didn't like it. I found it tough sighting in on clay targets @ 300yds, because of the lack of cross-hairs on em.... Last check, Yotes didn't have cross-hairs painted on them either. :razz:

I now have a 6-24 and my range hits have increased exponentially. I do agree with TB though, in that on running shots, I'll be more handicapped now

I shot a coyote last year @ 330y with a fixed 6x scope...fluked out! :mrgreen:

Will
11-21-2008, 05:42 PM
No fluke................
YOU are a God among Men :-o

Shermdog
11-21-2008, 05:46 PM
do you guys call coyotes in or what? I bought a predator call and gave it a try today, no luck though... Never really hunted coyotes before. Last weekend when we were whitey hunting though we seen one run accross the road and down a gulley, my buddy shot him running @100 yards with a 180gr accubond from his 30-06, it was pretty devistating haha.

Will
11-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Calling can get very discouraging for the beginner.......it took me several winters before I actually had a Coyote come in to my call...at least it was the 1st one I noticed.
Persistance pays off when calling:smile:

rishu_pepper
11-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Maybe I'll split the difference and go for a 4.5-14X 40mm.... I see Nikon has one in the Buckmasters model, what are you thoughts on Nikon scopes by the way..... sorry, starting to get off topic.

Thanks for the suggestions by the way!

Nikon has excellent optics for the price, but due to the difficulty in locating some of them, it is often overlooked. I have a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42mm and I can honestly say the optics were superior than a VXII I used to have. Compared to my friend's Mark4 was no match, but then the Mark4 is 2-3x the price :wink:

Fluke, for sure. :shock::tongue:

todbartell
11-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Calling can get very discouraging for the beginner.......it took me several winters before I actually had a Coyote come in to my call...at least it was the 1st one I noticed.
Persistance pays off when calling:smile:

on the other hand, I called one in my first day trying :) and missed him at 100 yards :lol:

last year I averaged one coyote called in, for every 6 stands

never quit, because just when you think nothing will EVER come in, you'll call in six at once

killman
11-21-2008, 07:57 PM
on the other hand, I called one in my first day trying :)

last year I averaged one coyote called in, for every 6 stands

never quit, because just when you think nothing will EVER come in, you'll call in six at once

Ya, but your Todbartell!

Mr. Dean
11-21-2008, 08:00 PM
The 'fun' that I have been getting from my local pups could likely have something to do with them being in a *protected* zone (residential yotes). They have no fear of man and never get shot at. Last year we had one approach a car that JUST pulled into the driveway and sniffed the door handle, while the occupants were still inside! (brazen little f***ers)

They're dum-dums. They howl at sirens and burglar alarms... Getting some to show their faces via calling, though, is still pretty cool.

killman
11-21-2008, 08:14 PM
The 'fun' that I have been getting from my local pups could likely have something to do with them being in a *protected* zone (residential yotes). They have no fear of man and never get shot at. Last year we had one approach a car that JUST pulled into the driveway and sniffed the door handle, while the occupants were still inside! (brazen little f***ers)

They're dum-dums. They howl at sirens and burglar alarms... Getting some to show their faces via calling, though, is still pretty cool.

Mr Dean :wink:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/Miscpics001-1.jpg

Will
11-21-2008, 09:14 PM
What do you think the cause of death was ? :neutral:

Nice......even if it was with a Crossbow:rolleyes:
:lol:

rishu_pepper
11-21-2008, 11:46 PM

Haha this is an awesome pic! Two inches left and you'd have hit him straight in the eye!

Mr. Dean
11-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Had one (x-bow). Mrs. Dean bought it for me as a B-day gift looooooooooong ago. Whenever I scrambled to get it, cocked and loaded the thing, the opportunity was gone. Several years back, I sold it to a buddy that wanted it for his 12 year old to go hunting with.

Back then I didn't know what calls even were. :icon_frow And now,,,, it's poo-poo to even use a bow 'round here (illegal). :roll:

10 acres of pure PRIME yote, raccoon, crow, bunny and squirrel ( :mrgreen: ) habitat. At least I can whack the latter 2 w/ a pellet gun. Up until past spring, da pooch would take care of the former, but he has since taken retirement.

With the ruckus that they create throughout the night, sleep doesn't have meaning any longer.

Dannybuoy
11-22-2008, 01:44 AM
I've shot coyotes with 243 and 25-06 both exellent calibers as well , and I skinned and sold all the hides (excepting mangy ones) 243 , 70gr 100gr worked the best ... good out to aprox 400 yds with only about 12" drop any further and windage and drop alot harder to estimate .
25-06 ... 87gr or 100gr worked great as well although I blasted a couple with 75grHP and only had a small entrance hole and no exit ,
I wouldnt worry about wolves or bears .... its shot placement ! they fall down all the same !:shock:
If you want to shoot out to 400 yds and beyond , i suggest practice and also to either get a rangefinder or practice estimating distances ...

FLHTCUI
11-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Just asking.
Rob
My mistake Mr Dean. I didnt mean to make it sound like you would be breaking any laws... for some reason I had my wires crossed in the regs. regaurding electronic calling devices.
Now I think I know where to get one myself on the cheep too.
Again, my apologizes if I offened you in anyway.

Dannybouy, may I add to your list of possible items for reaching outfor varmints... is a set of shooting sticks, they can be made rather inexpensively or purchased for around $50.00 all in.
Varmint Al.com has instructions on how he made his and several measurements that are good starting points.
Thanks Again
Rob.
Rob

FLHTCUI
11-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Re: Post # 31 Will
" what was cause of death ?"
I'll go out ona limb and suggest blunt force trauma maybe ???
LOL
Rob

Mr. Dean
11-22-2008, 12:27 PM
My mistake Mr Dean. I didnt mean to make it sound like you would be breaking any laws... my apologizes if I offened you in anyway.

Offended????

Not in the least. People come here seeking knowledge and raise questions. That's what it's all about.

It pleases me to know that people are willing to ask and learn.

thetackdriver
11-22-2008, 02:26 PM
got a coyote with my .338 win mag shooting 225 grain.... hahah not a good plan if ur trying to save the hide but its all i had with me. Go with a 22-250. it will do the trick

Wolfman
11-22-2008, 03:05 PM

Headshot! Wow! nice goin.

Wolfman

cariboobill
11-24-2008, 09:24 AM
I use .223 for coyote, less damage to the skin and meat and cheap ammo. 243 is OK, but nothing bigger.

Good Luck

aletheuo
11-24-2008, 09:47 AM
I use .223 for coyote, less damage to the skin and meat

Apparently another vote for coyote meat. ick ick. And... I wouldn't even feed it to my dogs since they are so close in species. Mad cow disease comes to mind.

phoenix
11-24-2008, 09:55 AM
.223 is the choice for sure. I have a Bushnell 4200 4-16SF on my Weatherby and works well with Federal AE 50gr FBHP's. Rishu, how much meat do you want? You just have to come and get it:p I just got my whitey yesterday so now it is time to start pounding the yodel-dogs. I saw 11 from my deer stands in the last week alone and that was without calling, they're freaking everywhere. Time to do a little population control for sure. They pulled down a muley doe right beside the neighbors house a couple of weeks ago, what a racket at 2 in the morning:eek:
Kim

rishu_pepper
11-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Yo phoenix, maybe when big game season winds down, you can show me where those doggies are, maybe hunt together? My 204 needs to see some blood. :biggrin: PM me.

msawyer
11-24-2008, 10:00 AM
hello all...

I use a 223 loaded with 50 gr speer tnts for shots under 200 yards and 75 grain Amax bullets for shots between 200 and 600 yards...

Using a hand call, we have had good luck... most sets get a response but early on we kept getting busted (poor setups and not watching our back)... the average is up with up to 3 yotes at a single time...

As for other predators, watch out for cougars... They will sneak in close and if the figure that you are a meal, watch out... I often hunt in pairs with the second gunner using a short barreled 12 gauge pump...

Take care

Mike
________
vaporgenie (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

goatdancer
11-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Better check the regs page 20 if you want to sell the hides. The tax man wants his pound of flesh cause they're considered a furbearing animal.

Dannybuoy
11-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Better check the regs page 20 if you want to sell the hides. The tax man wants his pound of flesh cause they're considered a furbearing animal.
If you sell them to a trapper or the like I wouldnt worry about that because he will pay the royalty when he sells them .
I used to skin/dry and sell them thru a fur auction company in Van (not sure if they are still around ?) and they would deduct the royalties from my cheque . Ask one of the trappers on this site how/where to sell the hides if you are interested ,Pete for example

brotherjack
11-24-2008, 04:28 PM
A 22-243 Middlestead would be a fun coyote gun. I imagine a 40 grain V-Max well north of 4,000FPS would kill him and skin him both. heheheh...

But what do I know, I've never actually shot a coyote (though I did miss two offhand shots at a running one about 125 yards out this year).

Will
11-24-2008, 04:43 PM
As for other predators, watch out for cougars... They will sneak in close and if the figure that you are a meal, watch out...
..............:lol:

Barracuda
11-24-2008, 04:56 PM
I used to get that same speech whenever i went out for a night on the town:mrgreen:.

LeverActionJunkie
11-24-2008, 04:58 PM
I used to get that same speech whenever i went out for a night on the town:mrgreen:.

not me I used to be a proffesional cougar hunter:mrgreen:

aletheuo
11-24-2008, 06:33 PM
A 22-243 Middlestead would be a fun coyote gun. I imagine a 40 grain V-Max well north of 4,000FPS would kill him and skin him both. heheheh...

But what do I know, I've never actually shot a coyote (though I did miss two offhand shots at a running one about 125 yards out this year).

Never shot one, either. Precisely why I started this thread (which appears to have turned to a 'yote-eaters thread, btw.) You've got a middlestead up on CGN, then? Had your 22-250 rechambered, did you? Tell you what - I need a partner anyways - why don't you just come along with your middlestead and I'll hold it for you while you call 'em in.

brotherjack
11-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Never shot one, either. Precisely why I started this thread (which appears to have turned to a 'yote-eaters thread, btw.) You've got a middlestead up on CGN, then? Had your 22-250 rechambered, did you? Tell you what - I need a partner anyways - why don't you just come along with your middlestead and I'll hold it for you while you call 'em in.

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to mislead you there - I don't actually have one - it just happens to be (as far as I know) approximately the highest velocity 22 caliber out there, so I thought I'd name-drop it. :) Supposedly, it'll knock a 30 grain bullet up into 5,000FPS territory, if the guys over at reloadersnest.com are to be believed. As for me, the only thing I own smaller than a .30 caliber is a 22LR, which is probably a bit small for coyotes at any significant range.

Ask me again in a month or so if I want to go chase coyotes, and I might. Definitely not up for it at the moment though; too much stuff left to do on my home remodel project, and walking still hurts pretty bad after falling off a ladder last weekend (well, technically speaking, the ladder collapsed under me, but same difference - a 14 foot fall into the bed of a pickup truck - OUCH!).

aletheuo
11-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Oh, sorry, didn't mean to mislead you there...

Was quite aware that you likely didn't have one - just thought I'd poke a little fun at a brother. :-P

Not sure my wife would be up to it before about a months time either... she's still recovering from the shock of me taking up hunting again after 16 years out of it. When we got together 16 years ago she was into skydiving and I told her it was either me or skydiving. Although I never signed such a pact about hunting my behaviour likely led her to think I wouldn't go back to it and so she's still in a state of shock. If I get into yotes the season doesn't end until March 31st :biggrin: and then I might be facing the most dangerous predator of all! :roll: A month down the road might be a good time to re-open the discussion.

killman
11-24-2008, 08:52 PM

Just to clarify this is not my pic, just moved it over cause it fit the bill. Don't want to take the credit of a great shot.