PDA

View Full Version : Motor Vehicle Prohibitions

11-19-2008, 09:40 PM
There was some talk before about people driving into Motor Vehicles Prohibited areas, and I wanted to add some information.

I just got a permit to drive into two areas (4 days after my LEH expired) and here are the restrictions:

1. The permit holder must ensure that no other person uses the vehicle in the area for the purpose of hunting, including personal transport or transporting the other person's firearms, other hunting equipment, or killed game, unless that person holds a permit allowing them to do so.

2. The permit holder must not exceed 10 km/h in the vehicle in the area.

3. The permit holder must not travel a distance of more than 30km per day within the area, except that if game is taken, that distance may be exceeded for the purpose of game retrieval if multiple trips are necessary to retrieve the entire carcass.

4. The permit holder must not use the vehicle to carry in the area more than 70kg of retrieved game at any one time. Multiple trips may be necessary to retrieve an entire carcass.

5. The permit holder must not use the vehicle to carry, in the area, more the 30kg of materials that are unrelated to the person's disability (e.g. camping gear, firearms), with the exception of 70 kg of retrieved game. Materials related to the permit holder's disability (e.g. mobility aids, extra fuel containers) are not restricted by weight.

Parts of the general conditions include:

The permit holder MUST display this permit prominently on the vehicle being used when conducting the activities authorized by the permit.

The permit holder must take all necessary steps to ensure that public safety is not jeopardized and fish or wildlife habitat is not damaged by any action taken under the authority of this pemit.

So, if you run into someone driving in a closed area, they must have the permit displayed (a disabled parking sign is not enough) and they shouldn't be more than 15km into a restricted area, unless their permit says otherwise.

Glenny
11-19-2008, 10:08 PM
6. Permit holder may only drive vehicle in reverse while standing on his or her head.:biggrin:

11-20-2008, 01:14 AM
Whats with all the wieght and distance restictions?
You should receive unlimited access as long as your not tearing up the terrain. Best take a good scale with you and hope your odometer is working, what ever eh?
Good luck to you 1899.
CT

hunter1947
11-20-2008, 05:47 AM
1899 that is very good information ,now I know what to look for when I do see someone in the road closure I hunt in ,thanks for putting this up for us to see.

I saw a few trucks in where I hunt in the road closure ,so next year I will be looking if I get close enough to see all.

riflebuilder
11-20-2008, 06:56 AM
If the closure is for hunting only they can be in there for firewood, fishing, picnic etc. but in total closure areas then they would need a special permit to be there at all.

Statler
11-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Quote- "So, if you run into someone driving in a closed area, they must have the permit displayed (a disabled parking sign is not enough) and they shouldn't be more than 15km into a restricted area, unless their permit says otherwise."

Well, your conclusion seems to be a little flawed on that one. Look at rule # 3 that you posted. It says, "must not travel more than 30km in a day." So what prevents a guy from travelling 30 km pitching a tent and them moving on the next day or the day after that? Long as he doesn't break the 30 km a day rule he can be in as far as he wants can't he?

You know, I've read a lot of posts on this site and it's amazing at how the regs can be interperted or misinterperted. Whether if I was a disabled hunter or not and had all my i's dotted and t's crossed I think I would be be a little pissed if a stranger came up to me and started preaching the odds on what they think is right or wrong. If you believe that something is not kosher call the professionals and they will sort it out. Thats what they're there for. Why take a chance and ruin a persons hunt that they may have planned for years to go on especially if they are doing nothing wrong. Just maybe you could be wrong and not them?

11-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Quote- "So, if you run into someone driving in a closed area, they must have the permit displayed (a disabled parking sign is not enough) and they shouldn't be more than 15km into a restricted area, unless their permit says otherwise."

Well, your conclusion seems to be a little flawed on that one. Look at rule # 3 that you posted. It says, "must not travel more than 30km in a day." So what prevents a guy from travelling 30 km pitching a tent and them moving on the next day or the day after that? Long as he doesn't break the 30 km a day rule he can be in as far as he wants can't he?

You know, I've read a lot of posts on this site and it's amazing at how the regs can be interperted or misinterperted. Whether if I was a disabled hunter or not and had all my i's dotted and t's crossed I think I would be be a little pissed if a stranger came up to me and started preaching the odds on what they think is right or wrong. If you believe that something is not kosher call the professionals and they will sort it out. Thats what they're there for. Why take a chance and ruin a persons hunt that they may have planned for years to go on especially if they are doing nothing wrong. Just maybe you could be wrong and not them?

Yes, you are right about the 30km rule being circumventable, as long as you also don't have more than 30kg of camping and hunting gear.

The whole point is to let people see what the rules actually say. That way you can make a more informed decision about calling the authorities and hopefully keep poachers out of our hunting grounds.

Keep in mind that the authorities have the description, including license plate # of the vehicle being used, so they will know who is permitted in a particular area at any given time.

11-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Statler - here is the thread that led me to posting the rules, note the first post.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26113

Statler
11-20-2008, 02:08 PM
1899, I'm not disputing the validity of your post in any way. The more info the better I say and I can see where you're coming from and I wholeheartily agree with reporting suspicious activities. All I'm trying to say is that some can become quite confrontational when they perceive themselves to be right and the other party wrong and with that mindset things can get out of hand quickly. Also, is it the most prudent idea to confront someone in the bush who may be engaged in an illegal activity like poaching or growing dope? Does anyone really know what will happen if things got out of hand? I'm sure there's pretty good reasoning behind CO's wanting to be armed. Safety and the ability to defend themselves, if required, would probably be at the top of the list I'm sure. Just some food for thought is all.

trailhunter
11-20-2008, 08:45 PM
i sure hope the ministry has a good rehab center for these dough heads that dreamt this up. Cocain is a hell of a drug.

hunter1947
11-21-2008, 04:17 AM
If the closure is for hunting only they can be in there for firewood, fishing, picnic etc. but in total closure areas then they would need a special permit to be there at all.

Yes you are right RB what you have said ,but what I would be looking for is rifles in there truck and if so the permit on the window.