PDA

View Full Version : dogs and bones??

Phil A. Bowl
11-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Are rib bones dangerous for dogs? (like chicken)

newhunterette
11-19-2008, 07:26 PM
yes they splinter and can cause intenstinal damage to the dog as well as get lodged into their throatsand break off their teeth - rib bones splinter and can be deadly to dogs, they can digest the rib bone

Bowzone_Mikey
11-19-2008, 07:35 PM
any cooked bone can do as Ali states whether it be Rib or T-bone
My dog doesnt get cooked bones ...just raw ones

Steeleco
11-19-2008, 07:35 PM
I used to feed my dog raw meat mix bought from Surrey meats. It was chicken and has bones ground up and mixed in. I too questioned the butcher about splintering as well as my vet. They both agreed that they are no risk so long as the bones "ARE NOT COOKED"

Since I started cutting my own game, the pup gets ALL the raw scraps, and all rib and leg bones. She has had no issue with choking at all.
The spine, shoulder and pelvis are the only bones I need to get rid of once done!

Phil A. Bowl
11-19-2008, 07:48 PM
My dogs thank you:smile:

Steeleco
11-19-2008, 07:55 PM
If not already on a raw meat diet, start real slow. Most domestic dogs have lost the ability to digest raw foods. Too much too fast will end up on the rug!!
A few ounces a day slowly building up to the portion you like will help the pooch get used to it.

My Rottie eats about a pound of whatever I have a day.
It helps that I've hooked up with a few HBC good guys that cut their own meat and have saved me the scraps. Half my freezer is now dog food!!

Islandeer
11-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Our Labs are on raw. Bones are fed raw. In fact they usually get a turkey neck or chicken neck and back each day. Plus 1lb of a blend of either chicken,beef,turkey and veggie. We also throw in a tripe mix once a week or so. Goggle up Budddies pet food for info and places to get it.

11-19-2008, 08:47 PM
As pointed out, you should not feed a dog cooked bones. All of my dogs have eaten rib bones with no ill effects. Dogs that are used to eating bones know what part is good and what part is not. The problem, imo, is when a dogs that never got bones suddenly does, it wants to inhale everything...quickly!

The Dawg
11-19-2008, 09:06 PM
We used to feed some of the in-service dogs raw chicken carcasses that we got directly from the McDonald's chicken supplier. Never had any problems with them, but as said, make sure they are raw.

Wolfman
11-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Geez, I've been feeding both my dogs cooked bones for some time. I guess I better rethink that.

Good thread.

Wolfman

huntergirl270
11-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Talk to your vet... They will give you the run down on how many "bone balls" they remove per year out of the intestines or from blocking the stomach of dogs. The main concern isn't the choking really, its the crap the stomach cannot digest. The dogs usually chew little pieces off but they aren't the wild animals they once were so do not have the digestive capacity to break it down properly hence the "bone balls"
Keep in mind that some of the "balls" build up over time so you won't see the effects until its too late.

Read the following site. It is one of many that will explain the problem with both raw and cooked bones.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/bones.html

Its your decision in the end what you would like to do.

Dirty
11-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Why are there rib bones left to feed a dog? This is blasphemy. They should be cut up into bone in ribs to eat instead of stripping the meat.

cxvalleyman
11-19-2008, 09:25 PM
I feed my dog raw ribs bones from my deer,moose.i have been giving them to him for 9 years.

Dirty
11-19-2008, 09:29 PM
I feed my dog raw ribs bones from my deer,moose.i have been giving them to him for 9 years.

Sacrilege ! Eat up those ribs... as ribs.

mrdoog
11-19-2008, 10:21 PM
As a student I worked weekends and summers at small animal Hospital.
One of the grossest treatments I ever assisted in was the removal of impacted chicken bones from a dog.
The dog was lucky because he had chewed the bones up, so surgery wasn't required.
I'll leave it up to imagination how the bones were removed. Needless to say a prostate exam is walk in the park.
Be very careful with bones and dogs.

Phil
11-19-2008, 10:48 PM
I feed my dog whole deer and moose legs. She eats everything from the knee down including the hoof.

Marc
11-20-2008, 06:27 AM
Like anything else its moderation. If you feed a dog just bone it will get compacted like chock. I let my dogs chew on raw bones but it takes them months to eat just one. I'm not a big fan of the pork bones as I've seen all 3 dogs eat them down in an hour or so.

If you get your raw food from a good source it will be proportioned properly so that you get a combination of meat,ground up bone, organs , and veg. I have all 3 dogs of mine on raw and they love it and are a lot healthier for it. I just recently cut back my Chessie from eating about 5 lbs a day while training to 3 1/2 lbs a day as I'm not working him out as much as before.

sawmill
11-20-2008, 06:45 AM
My freinds 4 big dogs are on the raw diet and he says they are doing great on it,way less poop to clean up too.I give him all my scraps from butchering which makes him happy and me VERY happy as I am always disturbed by how much bone and trimmings are left after the meat is wrapped.About 40% of a clean carcass is the norm for for that.Now it does not go to waste.It is all raw bone as well.I`m thinking of doing it for my guys,I have a shepard/heeler and a Walker/Lab,both around 90 lbs. I think they might be better off that way.I have heard that it can make them more agressive though.Any thoughts?I don`t want them eating my grandchildren:shock:

Steeleco
11-20-2008, 06:51 AM
The aggression is in the dog or it isn't, what they eat won't change that. My 10 year old daughter can call our Rottie off of her food. And she waits till given permission to go back. But that is due to training too.

Islandeer
11-20-2008, 07:07 AM
Like anything else its moderation. If you feed a dog just bone it will get compacted like chock. I let my dogs chew on raw bones but it takes them months to eat just one. I'm not a big fan of the pork bones as I've seen all 3 dogs eat them down in an hour or so.

If you get your raw food from a good source it will be proportioned properly so that you get a combination of meat,ground up bone, organs , and veg. I have all 3 dogs of mine on raw and they love it and are a lot healthier for it. I just recently cut back my Chessie from eating about 5 lbs a day while training to 3 1/2 lbs a day as I'm not working him out as much as before.

C'mon Marc, poor Marshal will waste away at that rate. But that will let my labs catch up ... ;)

B.C.Boy(100%)
11-20-2008, 08:25 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/b-ruddick/IMG_3111-1.jpg%5B/IMG%5DGiven the dog the bones!
She sits and waits very patiently for this treat while I quarter and bone out a deer. Keeps her busy.
It would appear one of the flower beds is the new place to save the remains these days.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/b-ruddick/IMG_3111-1.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/b-ruddick/IMG_3111-1.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/b-ruddick/IMG_3111-1.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

3kills
11-20-2008, 08:44 AM
cooked bones as said before spinter and causes problems also i read or heard some where that with cooked bones if a dog burries them and then digs them back up they can become toxic to them...i dont give my dog deer bones as i have seen a few dogs have to get surgery from chuncks they have broken off and got stuck in there intestines and stuff

huntwriter
11-20-2008, 09:42 AM
I have heard and read many stories about dogs and bones don’t mix. My dog eats bones since he is a pup and is now a healthy 12 years old. He never had any problems with bones, but then again he is really careful and chews bones thoroughly (We never trained him to do that it seems to be a natural thing for him).

My advice would be if the dog is one that swallows big chunks it may be better to give him large bones to chew on rather than chicken ribs. As for bone splinters. Dog’s intestinal organs are made to put up with bone splinters, just like any other carnivore. Carnivores have developed a technic to protect their stomachs from been punctured by bone splinters.

Bones are healthy. Raw bones clean a dogs teeth, give much needed roughage and provide lots of good nutrition, vitamins and proteins. Of course a veterinarian will advice against bones because they want to sell you the many specialized products from the dog toothpaste to supplementary dietproducts. My vet tells me each year about how bad bones are yet my dog (12) old is still as healthy and fit as can be. The vet can find nothing on him. In fact he is impressed it what good condition the dog is. Yet he still tells me "bones are bad". That remark is usually is followed up by a sales pitch for "alternative" products.

Iron Glove
11-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Our Toller has been a "BARF" dog since birth for the most part and has never had a problem related to raw bones. We try to stick to Buffallo as it is low in fat and she tends to be allergic to chicken.
Some suggest avoiding bear bones and meat due to the possibility of thye dog contracting diseases from bear.
She enjoys our deer remnants, including ribs.
If you are concerned, stick to weight bearing bones and avoid marrow bones if the dog has a weight problem. Knuckles are great.
Other than the health issues, the biggest bonus of raw bones in the diet is the nice compact turds - very easy to pick up ( no messy "spreads") and they deteriorate into ash quite quickly if you happen to miss one on your lawn.