PDA

View Full Version : Weather & animal movement

coquitlam
11-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I have always been fascinated on how one day the animals are running around and the next day you would swear that there are no animals around for miles.And the only difference is either the weather , moon or temperature had changed from the one day to the next.
I thought it would be a great idea to compare my findings in the woods with others to see what would be considered a positive or negative weather change.
Rain
To me the big enemy has been the rain when chasing deer. they usually are hunkered down and like us ,don`t want to get wet.

Moon
The other big negative I have found is a full moon and clear sky at night. Some nights have been so bright that I could not sleep well in the tent as I always woke up thinking I had slept in and the sun was on it`s way up.

Temp.
Negative - warm temp. Positive cold temp.

It would be great if others could post there findings so we can learn more to make us better hunters.

hunter1947
11-20-2008, 06:45 AM
I don't like the full moon ,but I still hunt out there when there is a full moon.

The animals do feed all night and are back into there bedding area before day break.

Steeleco
11-20-2008, 06:54 AM
The jury is still out with me? My GPS like most has a game activity screen. On days it's says are "Poor" we see critters, even got a double header on bears twice now? On good days we've seen NADA!!
But the moon, now that can mess things up. Have to hunt real early or real late on those bright nights.

sawmill
11-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Full moon sucks for me when it is clear.I have found just before a real big and dirty low pressure system moves in game is moving hard,and the next morning after they are going again,I love2 days of ass miserable weather cause I know I`ll see a ton of game right after.I have also had good luck on those gray drizzly days when it seems to take forever to get shooting light,bucks stay out later than normal.And of course,THE DAY AFTER THE BIG SNOWSTORM!!!!!!!!!!!
This weekend looks promising,it`s -10 now with snow forcast for the weekend:biggrin:And a tiny moon.

tomahawk
11-20-2008, 07:10 AM
IMHO:

Rain........Ungulates don't know what its like to be inside, warm and dry, they have a need to eat every 4 hrs ( from a recent University study) as their 4 chambered stomachs process the food every 4 hrs. Other than really bad storms I have seen them out and active in all kinds of weather.

Moon....... They have eyes that are capable of seeing in the dark far better than humans and are out on dark nights as well. Moon faze doesn't change my hunting at all.

Temp....... They are used to severe cold and extreme heat during the entire year where ever they live so they can handle anything but I agree that they tend to be more active when its cooler.

frenchbar
11-20-2008, 07:39 AM
IMHO:

Rain........Ungulates don't know what its like to be inside, warm and dry, they have a need to eat every 4 hrs ( from a recent University study) as their 4 chambered stomachs process the food every 4 hrs. Other than really bad storms I have seen them out and active in all kinds of weather.

Moon....... They have eyes that are capable of seeing in the dark far better than humans and are out on dark nights as well. Moon faze doesn't change my hunting at all.

Temp....... They are used to severe cold and extreme heat during the entire year where ever they live so they can handle anything but I agree that they tend to be more active when its cooler.i would agree with all of what you said tomahawk, ive had good sucsess in the rain and better sucsess during full moons.

bushpig slayer
11-20-2008, 02:35 PM
hunting after a full moon nothing moves for me,heavy rains or bad weather good time to hunt.mild to cold days also good.

Ron.C
11-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Coquitlam,

I disagree 100% about the rain. Unless it's an absolutely torential downpour with gail force winds, I find blacktail deer movement for example is awesome on rainy days. Not to mention it allows you to slip through the bush without making a peep.

I don't think full moon's cause deer/elk to move less, I just think they get out of the fields/clearcuts and into the bush earlier on these days. but they are moving non the less

Temperature, I saw more deer a week ago when It was +14 then the following days when it was half that temp. And I've seen elk moving at mid day in the wide open in early Sept when its 32 deg. They have to move regardless of temp to feed/water/bed and breed.

I think as hunters, we overcomplicate these things. I'm definitely guilty of doing it. We try to put reason into why the animals are doing what they are doing when in reality from one day to the next a healthy animal is going to feed/water/bed and breed and do it all over again. If you don't see them, they are just doing it somewhere else, but they are doing it.

I think the trick is to be out there as much as possible, upping your odds while you try to learn the area you are hunting and pattern the game your after, and don't forget lady luck plays a huge hand in every hunt!

humble hunter
11-20-2008, 05:02 PM
the rain thing for blacktails is a must. I literally just got in from a blacktail hunt (after a hot tub to warm up). This morning on the way in at first light while it wasn't raining saw nothing, started to rain about 10:30. At 11:00 saw the first set of does, then two more sets after. Odd though no bucks with them. It sucks but the best blacktail hunting is definetly in the rain.