PDA

View Full Version : Elk & Moose 8-14

Seth
09-24-2005, 01:19 AM
I've hunted 8-14 two years ago and never saw any moose or elk but saw lots of tracks. Is seeing a spike fork moose or a six point elk realistic or am I waiting for the planets to fall into alignment? Any help Would be appreciated. I'm heading over for 8 days and leaving this friday.

rageous
09-24-2005, 09:22 AM
been hunting there for about 15yrs i have seen 2 bull moose, one small, and a monster bull 50"+, a few cows, i only seen one bull elk a 5x5, i must add i primarily hunt the lowlands, i have seen all these way back in the bush,.,, definitly worth buying tags, you don't want to get caught seeing a 6pt elk or a immature bull moose and have no tag, enought said, buy the tags u never now..

Freshtracks
09-24-2005, 02:23 PM
Seth,,

I'm not to sure about planets aligning ... but just last weekend my boys and I seen 3 mulie bucks, a whitetail buck, a black bear and a cow moose. Now that's 2 days of hunting new territory. Only critter we didn't see was an elk. Did I think about that before heading up and pondered getting an elk tag. Yep!

Maybe I got lucky this time ... but you never know when you'll get caught with your pants around your ankles.:razz:

Choice is yours. Best of Luck ;-)

rock
09-25-2005, 08:05 PM
I hunted 8-14 for 30+ yrs I've seen my share of moose and elk there, but you kinda have to know where to look, 2 yrs ago on our way in we happened upon 2 guys who tagged themself a imature, we saw 3 moose that year, the farms are key out there for the elk herds, Bosavich is a farm out there it runs for a 9 km stretch, the elk really favour these locations. The only way to get behind the farm is by canoe at 40 km mark you hit a bridge at km 57km which brings you back by main road.

palmer
09-29-2005, 05:59 PM
I just spent two days hunting both farms and public land near the border very close to rock creek...we saw lots and lots of Elk over 50 in one group..but no six points..lots of five points...so yes buy a tag...

ruger#1
09-29-2005, 06:17 PM
dont feel bad guys, ive hunted up there for over 25 years,seen moose and elk tracks never seen them and ive hunted in the swampy areas. the only time ive seen elk is in march, seen about 20 of them in the area that i hunt,