PDA

View Full Version : A Buddies BIG EK Whitetail

brotherjack
11-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Who knew they grew em this size in the EK? Buddy of mine just stopped by to show it off. All I can say, is SWEET!!!!!

http://xjack.org/hunting/blwt2008.jpg

tooley
11-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Wow a beauty, unique too whats the score?

brotherjack
11-18-2008, 06:22 PM
No idea the score - he'd just shot him, and was on his way home when he stopped by to show me. I'd suspect it to be pretty dang high for an EK whitetail. :)

TIKA 300
11-18-2008, 07:06 PM
That is SWEET !!!!!!!

By the way theres no snow on the ground in the pic behind the truck,whats up with that ???

huntwriter
11-18-2008, 07:18 PM
That is one heck of a nice deer any which way you look at it. Looks like it would easely score minimum P&Y, not so sure about B&C though. Congratulations to the lucky hunter to this wallhanger.8-)

brianscott
11-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Had to go through raduim the other night on the way to calgary(closed @ golden due to an accident at Field) nearly had a monster on the hood of the car
from what i saw it was a heavy mainframe 5x5 with junk all over too bad it was smack in the middle of the park.
Ruts going good there, itwas dark when i went through, but i prob saw 100 deer with numerous bucks all over some big ones out there but they know they are safe

brotherjack
11-18-2008, 07:26 PM
I just got back from taking The Wife(tm) over to see it. While we were there, I did a 30 second score job on it - looks to measure probably in the low to mid 150-somethings. 24 inch inside spread, 24 inch main beams, very symetrical, etc.

Buckmeister
11-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Wow. Beautiful spread and height.

model88
11-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Very nice buck!! They are out there in the EK, I have seen some bruisers around Cranbrook in the headlights.

About a month ago, I was coming home from the states through the Kingsgate crossing and there was a van on the side of the road that had just hit a deer. There was lots of help already so I didnt stop, but from what I saw of the deer laying on the shoulder of the road, he looked to be around the 150" class buck.

11-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Another good BC Whitey !!
Congrats
CT

todbartell
11-18-2008, 11:42 PM
nice looking buck! 120 class if you asked me. short tines, medium mass. regardless, a nice buck, Id shoot him in a heartbeat :D

hunter1947
11-19-2008, 03:53 AM
Very nice deer for sure from that area ,looking at it I would say it would score around 145 net.

sawmill
11-19-2008, 05:20 AM
Yeah around 135-140 he is a 4 point,with the 5`th he`d get 150`sh.

Dannybuoy
11-19-2008, 09:18 AM
I just got back from taking The Wife(tm) over to see it. While we were there, I did a 30 second score job on it - looks to measure probably in the low to mid 150-somethings. 24 inch inside spread, 24 inch main beams, very symetrical, etc.
Nice whitey ! you sound pretty close on your score alright the way I see it .

catwelder
11-19-2008, 09:24 AM
beauty buck, dont cross paths with those very often around here but they are around. Since we seem to all be guessing i would say 135-140 gross. Nets are for fishing

Stone Sheep Steve
11-19-2008, 09:28 AM

Nice buck for sure!

That's close to what I would have guessed a co-worker shot a very similar looking 4x4 that grossed 159" but was more uneven. 24 1/2" inside spread as well...with mainbeans in the 25" range.

SSS

wetcoasthunter
11-19-2008, 10:13 AM
A guy I hunt with hunted the EK regularly until about 15 years ago, he would go as late as possible, the more snow and the colder the better. He took some monster WTs and had some great stories about them and the ones that got away.

That is one heck of a nice deer any which way you look at it. Looks like it would easely score minimum P&Y, not so sure about B&C though. Congratulations to the lucky hunter to this wallhanger.8-)

Doesn't he have to be taken with a bow to be considered for P&Y??

brotherjack
11-19-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm too happy for my buddy to be jealous - but to be honest, this was The Buck(tm) that I'd been hunting this year. I seen him about a week before the start of bow season. But, I got stupid (again), and spent most of my time fooling around chasing elk and didn't go after him back when I knew where he was hanging around, and by the time I got around to it, he was nowhere to be found. I never would have got him, though - the area where my buddy finally found him is one mountain over from where I'd last located him in an area I have never hunted, so in the end, I'm just happy someone I know got him.

huntwriter
11-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Doesn't he have to be taken with a bow to be considered for P&Y??

Yes he does.

But I didn’t want to pin it down to a specific number and so I said P&Y. The minimum for that would be 125 points for a typical whitetail and for B&C the minimum is 160 points (both scores are after the official drying period of 60 days). Basically what I meant is that the buck will score somewhere between these two.

As it came out from the measurements brotherjack posted I was not to far off the mark. I too thought the buck will score somewhere around the 150 B&C but I don’t like to get pinned down on a specific number.

It’s a beautiful basic and very symmetrical typical 8 point, not much mass and no long main tines but wide spread and long brow tines. As I said in my first post, “a very nice deer any which way you look at it.”

huntwriter
11-19-2008, 12:00 PM
But, I got stupid (again), and spent most of my time fooling around chasing elk and didn't go after him back when I knew where he was hanging around...

So you that too, having problems on deciding what to chase, and here I thought that I am the only one guilty of that mistake. Nice to know that I am in such good company.:smile:

goatdancer
11-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Awesome buck. Your buddy should buy a lotto ticket.

weatherby_man
11-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Wow awesome buck. Bigger than any I saw out there recently.