PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting with a loggers tongue

log_roller
11-18-2008, 05:59 PM
this may sound foolish but I went hunting with my husband and his friend they found what they call a fight scene , the ground was all trampled down and there was deer hair all over, I over heard them sayin deadly the big boys are comming down to bang?? does that mean the bucks are comming down to fight???or they going to mate??my husband is a logger and uses some weird wording what is a switch back? or hogs back? or back end, last time he shot a deer there was 2 almost side by side he shot the smaller spike top when he could have had what he called the grand daddy he wouldnt give me a straight answer why he did that, are you not allowed to shoot grand daddys ??after the hunt I used the word ''harvest'' and he whistled old mc donald while he was cleaning the deer he is quite the joker i think he was moking me, is harvest not what you call killing a deer??? i am confused:redface:

TimberPig
11-18-2008, 09:10 PM
this may sound foolish but I went hunting with my husband and his friend they found what they call a fight scene , the ground was all trampled down and there was deer hair all over, I over heard them sayin deadly the big boys are comming down to bang?? does that mean the bucks are comming down to fight???or they going to mate??my husband is a logger and uses some weird wording what is a switch back? or hogs back? or back end, last time he shot a deer there was 2 almost side by side he shot the smaller spike top when he could have had what he called the grand daddy he wouldnt give me a straight answer why he did that, are you not allowed to shoot grand daddys ??after the hunt I used the word ''harvest'' and he whistled old mc donald while he was cleaning the deer he is quite the joker i think he was moking me, is harvest not what you call killing a deer??? i am confused:redface:

bucks coming down to bang = coming down to breed the does, the fighting goes along with competition for does

a switchback = a tight corner where you grind the road up, crank it around the corner and head back ~180 degrees from your previous bearing. It is used to gain elevation on a slope where the road would otherwise be too steep if it ran straight up and down the slope to reach a desired point on the hill.

hogsback = a type of glacially formed ridge, which is wide with a flat top, resembling a hog's back

why he shot the spike instead of the big buck = unless there was some reason (ie it looked injured or was rutting heavily and he dislikes rutting bucks), he probably screwed up and shot the wrong deer and didn't want to admit it. The only reason to shoot the little guy is meat quality, leaving the big boy's genetics out being spread, or a mistake.

harvest = politically correct term for killing a deer or any other animal. Personally, I tell it like it is and simply say shot or kill, rather than sugarcoating the truth in P/C language.

elkdom
11-18-2008, 09:28 PM

Relay msg to hubby,
1 do not mock a woman with a gun
2 do best to comunicate with the woman, no fun when woman angry
3 ok to shoot old bucks, grand daddys NO shooting! "who will baby sit?"
4 all OK to shoot, kill, harvest ,take , wack, smoke , lay low....in season
5 as for whistle old macdonald while cleaning deer, I dont know??
6 last always offer woman priveledge of packing deer back to truck,,,,,,