PDA

View Full Version : How to cure the fog blues...?

rishu_pepper
11-18-2008, 12:44 PM
The time I got my buck last week, both my binoculars and my scope (Nikon Monarchs, both of them) fogged up, sometimes pretty badly, and could have cost me a buck if I wasn't so lucky.

That said, is there any product on the market that prevents fogging up of lenses (like a spray or wipe or something)?

Chuck
11-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Yes, there are liquids that can be applied........you can find them at pharmacies or eyeglass shops or even optometrists offices.

I've found this stuff much like old newspapers we once used in the outhouse.
Which is to say...it works, but it's not as nice as the real thing, and it could scratch your lens! LOL.

If I had the real solution, I'd tell you. Sorry!

elkdom
11-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Store your binoculars and rifle scopes in the refrigerator, that way when you take them outside, they are COOL!

BiG Boar
11-18-2008, 01:07 PM
keep caps on them till its go time. Had that same problem with a scope last weekend. Scope caps, problem solved.

tinhorse
11-18-2008, 01:45 PM
If you are hiking around and are breaking a sweat your body heat, when holding your scope or binoculars close to your skin will make them fog up. I use a leupold lens pen to clean mine, leupold scope and bushnell legend binoculars and have not had a problem. When I am hiking the steep hills I try and hold my optics away from my face a couple of inches so the breeze can take the moisture away. You just have to adjust the focus a little. So of the liquids to apply do help from eye glass places but nothing is perfect.

Mr. Dean
11-18-2008, 01:46 PM
But one breath and you're done. Even the heat transfer from your body can be enough to screw things up.... Bushnels rain guard coating REALLY works.

Time to buy new stuff. :tongue:

Onesock
11-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Clean your lenses with straight dish soap. Leaves a thin film on them that does not fog up, or if it does only for a few seconds.

rishu_pepper
11-18-2008, 02:02 PM
I know someone who works at a Lenscrafters. Maybe she can point me in the right direction with regards to the drops.

I do have scope caps, FWIW, but I guess it's not enough.

And I wear glasses, if that makes a difference (or not).

Rob
11-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Ive gad the same problems with my bushnell elite scope, and that has rainguard.

spreerider
11-18-2008, 09:09 PM
when me and my friends play paintball we coat our masks with pledge lemon, then buff it all off, and it seems to work good, im scared to try it on my scope but last weekend in the fog i was getting condensation problems everytime i tried to look and with the wet i couldent keep up with the wiping cloth getting soaked.
may have to try dishsoap sounds like a good idea, if that works out ok i may try the pledge.

huntergirl270
11-18-2008, 09:14 PM
I use sea drops... YES! they are made for scuba diving and snorkelling but they are AMAZING on scopes and nocs too! EBAY about 3 bucks. If you were a wee bit closer I would say come by and try some .... a tiny bottle lasts forever.

rishu_pepper
11-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestion huntergirl. I went ahead and bought a bottle on ebay, the price is pretty reasonable (shipping is about the same as the bottle!). I can use them on my glasses as well, which sometimes I find, when waterfowling, can also fog up. But then now I won't have any excuses for missing those mallards! :biggrin:

tootoowild
11-18-2008, 09:31 PM
When I played hockey, my visor always fogged up. so as all hockey players do, we use shampoo. just a small dab then wipe it down and the fog problem is gone....I'm sure it would work the same for a scope.

boxhitch
11-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Condensation will occur on any glass. its a matter of temperature differential.
Keep the binos inside your jacket, warmer the better.
Have a cloth handy and wipe your face and eyes to dry them before using optics, less moisture = less fog.
Old school says to have iron-sights available as a back-up.

Oh, and get in shape and quit huffin and puffin .

todbartell
11-18-2008, 11:46 PM
FOG RUINED MY HUNT!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha

elkdom
11-18-2008, 11:52 PM

WHO WAS THAT?? I CANT SEE YOU!!,,, IS SOMEBODY THERE???

rishu_pepper
11-18-2008, 11:59 PM

I might have said that if I missed my buck :tongue:

3kills
11-19-2008, 12:17 AM
i had a friend tell me that he uses shaving cream on his glasses and his mirrors in the bath room and it doesnt fog up...i have always thought about tryin it

Gateholio
11-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Chip Bin Woodcarving Studio.
4931 Tilton Road
Richmond, British Columbia
v7c1k6
Canada
Ph. 1-604-279-8441

Contact them and get some Parkers Perfect

Pick me up some and Xpress Post it to me, too...When you get the product, PM me.

huntergirl270
11-19-2008, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestion huntergirl. I went ahead and bought a bottle on ebay, the price is pretty reasonable (shipping is about the same as the bottle!). I can use them on my glasses as well, which sometimes I find, when waterfowling, can also fog up. But then now I won't have any excuses for missing those mallards! :biggrin:

You'll only need to use a tiny tiny amount each time.

The best thing about them is that you'll know it won't damage the rubber and silicone casings on your noc's etc.
I have tried the toothpaste, soap, spit, and all the other home remedies when snorkeling,
but I don't have to reapply until the next day or longer with the sea drops. With the home remedies I was having to come out of the water to reapply after a short period of time.
Extremely frustrating when you are trying to photograph a sea turtle!

Seems to last even longer on field glasses I guess because they aren't being submerged in salt water?

P.S.
There is another version, a wee bit pricier (6-8 dollars) called sea gold it is a gel instead of drops. I have only used the drops and they work great... don't know of any advantage to a gel.

Steeleco
11-19-2008, 07:00 AM
What about good old fashioned SPIT, scuba divers do it all the time. It's abundant and FREE!!!

boxhitch
11-19-2008, 08:43 AM
What about good old fashioned SPIT, scuba divers do it all the time. It's abundant and FREE!!!That would depend on what you have been eating lately.
Spend big $$ on optics with multi coated lenses, and then aachtoouy !

Anti fog solutions are also available for ski goggles.

slayer B
11-02-2012, 11:02 AM
I tried spit the other day, it sucked. Good for a few mins but otherwise poopy. Just ordered some stuff called Fog Tech. Its supposed to be great ( according to all the reviews anyway) so I'll let you know how it works. Should be here in two weeks.

brazen
11-02-2012, 06:01 PM
shaving cream