PDA

View Full Version : B-T Hunt Chilliwack Today

pmj
11-17-2008, 10:49 PM
I went for a black tail hunt with a buddy up to Chilliwack today and did not see any other hunters:smile:. We hiked in 5 km and up to 1200m. I tried calling, did not see anything. It was warm and sunny. In the afternoon we could feel the gusts of wind were actually warm. Lots of bugs. November 17 at 1,200 meters? Where is winter? Snow was at about 1800m.

bruin
11-17-2008, 10:55 PM
That sucks. I was up there last week, saw some older sign but no deer, hunted alpine timberline right till dark. Two weeks ago I was there when there was some snow on the ground and there was major movement. I can't imagine that 6" would've puched them down or anything so they should still be up high.

Steeleco
11-18-2008, 06:52 AM
Did the same on Sunday. Got into a few spots near 4000' Not a footy print or snow flake to be seen. In fact, we talked about how it must have been the most lifeless day in a long time. Not even a squirrel or bird on the wing after 8am??

It will get better, but I hope it's before Dec 15!!!

308BAR
11-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Know the feeling, been skunked the last three local trips for BT, it's been warm no snow and they haven't been migrating. Can't even stir up any does.

Seen some tracks and thats about it.

Jetboater
11-18-2008, 10:16 AM
First off if you really think your gonna connect on Blacktails with only hunting a day a month for them I think you might have to really lower your expectations... I put in about 45 days a fall looking fror a decent blacktail and most years do not pull the trigger.... granted there are a lot of small bucks running around but if you want to kill a decent one you really have to work for it..Dont hunt during nice days either ... hunt the pissing rain if you want to be succesful... find the nearest road and avoid it by 2KMs....
but please dont expect to kill a buck when you go out or you will be sadly dissapointed...

bruin
11-18-2008, 11:42 AM
First off if you really think your gonna connect on Blacktails with only hunting a day a month for them I think you might have to really lower your expectations... I put in about 45 days a fall looking fror a decent blacktail and most years do not pull the trigger.... granted there are a lot of small bucks running around but if you want to kill a decent one you really have to work for it..Dont hunt during nice days either ... hunt the pissing rain if you want to be succesful... find the nearest road and avoid it by 2KMs....
but please dont expect to kill a buck when you go out or you will be sadly dissapointed...

You've got some good points but I don't think anyone was saying that, simply stating the conditions and lack of game in the area.

Jetboater
11-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Mike I am not trying to come down on people but you know quite well that blacktails are very secretive... snow or no snow and you really cant expect to go out for a couple days a year and kill a great blacktail or even a decent one...alot of people will try to head to Chilliwack ... take the first road to the right or left ... walk in the bush and a buck should be standing there.....its like all the guys running to clearwater wanting to shoot a 200 class mule deer becaue they saw Dana Kill one or Mattb ....once they realize how tough it is to hunt they complain that there is no deer in that area.......Just my 2 cents ... you can take it for what it is worth...

Wild one
11-18-2008, 03:46 PM
BT's can be a pain in reg 2 you need to do lots of scouting to find a good spot and when you do keep it to your self or it will not be good for long. The only ways I find good spots for them is to either find a spot every one over looks or try to out work the average hunter. The worst part is even when you find them you need think of how you are going to hunt them with the thick crap they like so much. Keep at it and you will find them

Salty
11-18-2008, 05:30 PM
I was out myself today. When I woke up and saw the big ol mostly full moon glowing and the stars twinkling, still calm, I was pretty sure it was going to be a slow day. But I had the time so I went anyway. And slow it was. I saw one doe moving at noon and nothing else in the same area where I spotted 7 deer after a big ol storm a few days back. Snow line WAY up there here too. ..

stixnstones
11-18-2008, 05:51 PM
i spend many weeks chasing bt s around. yeah thats what it is exactly CHASING,LOOKING, SEARCHING. There is no other species of deer that i find that i spend more time not seeing anything. very hard to pattern cause they are all over the map. i have taken a few really nice bucks. a few years back i blew it on a beautiful 5x5bt that wood of been in the 120;s easy.keep plugging away.good luck. i am going tommorrow morn.

harder rd
11-18-2008, 06:10 PM
there are no deer in chilliwack don't wast your time go some place else. They are behind every tree in the squmish area .

stixnstones
11-18-2008, 06:41 PM
ya okay whatever floats boat.

TIKA 300
11-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Just spent the day up Sylvester in Mission,from sun up to sun down,and seen a whopping 1 other person on a quad (which was nice).Found 3 fresh sets of tracks,but no deer attached.Spent A LOT of time glassing and seen 0000000000,im gonna start calling them binosores,cuz thats how much i used them today.

Jetboater
11-18-2008, 07:15 PM
get in the thick stuff if you want to find bucks dont bother glassing the open stuff....unless the buck is totally rut bonkers you wont find them standing out in the open...wait till it starts raining hard and go into the thick stuff you will find more deer than you might expect.. hunt fern ridges and old logging benches where they are grown in...

treeclimber
11-18-2008, 07:44 PM
yup...tough critters to hunt,I've been to harrison and chilliwack over a dozen times this year and havent seen much but a small spike buck and a hand full of does..they are in the thick stuff and there is plenty of that bush local

snareman1234
10-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Just a question, if they are in the thick stuff how would you recommend hunting them with such low visability?

Hydrojet
10-16-2009, 04:18 PM
hunting in a good rain covers your sent and the sound you make...easier to get close....the visability doesn't matter in the timber because of how close you will be...you can't shoot too far in a forest!...across a field ya you won't see much, but in the timber you will see enough....my experience anyhow. If it's real bad they will stay bedded down longer and generally move later in the morning and afternoon which will boost your chances.

FLHTCUI
10-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Well, I was up behind Boston Bar on Wednesday .
Snow flying around 3650 foot mark and really heavy at the 4200 foot level.
Decided to turn back as I really didnt want to be skiing down the road we drove up on.
See no fresh tracks either.
No bear scatt to mention and seen a total of 14 grouse with 7 coming abck to Vancovuer after falling victim to my buddies 16 gauge or 7x57R Ferlach (spelling)
The 7-30 Waters ( Thanks 240Gord ) is now adorned with a 2-7 Vortex and
is shooting pretty good with factory ammo.
Dam , I hi-jacked the thread ok, didnt see any deer that hi up either.
Sooner than later you will find some nice blacktails looking the otehr way so you can put one in the boiler room.
Good Shooting and Better Eating.
Rob

treeclimber
10-16-2009, 04:51 PM
find a well used trail to and from beds or feeding area, sit 50 yrds or so away DOWN WIND(pending how thick the bush is) and well..wait than wait some more annnd maybe you will get lucky

rishu_pepper
10-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Well, I was up behind Boston Bar on Wednesday .
Snow flying around 3650 foot mark and really heavy at the 4200 foot level.
Decided to turn back as I really didnt want to be skiing down the road we drove up on.
See no fresh tracks either.
No bear scatt to mention and seen a total of 14 grouse with 7 coming abck to Vancovuer after falling victim to my buddies 16 gauge or 7x57R Ferlach (spelling)
The 7-30 Waters ( Thanks 240Gord ) is now adorned with a 2-7 Vortex and
is shooting pretty good with factory ammo.
Dam , I hi-jacked the thread ok, didnt see any deer that hi up either.
Sooner than later you will find some nice blacktails looking the otehr way so you can put one in the boiler room.
Good Shooting and Better Eating.
Rob

Good to hear grouse are still up there, I'm planning to head up for a weekend excursion to BB. Hopefully we will run into a buck or two.

Any advice on how to catch these buggers? I'm thinking staking out cut blocks early morning, but what about afternoon? Or am I going about this the wrong way?