PDA

View Full Version : Colorado dream hunt

Prowler
11-17-2008, 05:16 PM
I was lucky enough a few years ago to tag along with a buddy of mine to hunt Colorado. I actualy got to do it 4 years in a row, untill the ranch we hunted on was sold. My buddy hunted it about 10 years in a row, killing some very impressive bucks along the way. we havent been down there in about 5 years, but our good friend who lives there tells us he has secured a new spot for us for next year. To say I cant wait is a massive understatement. I believe my good friend on here, Sitka Spruce was down there one year, and can attest to the bucks that call this old west landscape home.
Following are the pictures of the 4 bucks I killed there, and the biggest my friend was able to harvest...

This first one was on opening day when we arrived. It was the first decent buck I saw, and was more than happy with him, even though over the next 4 days, we saw SEVERAL bucks that were MUCH bigger. Live and learn. he was 24" wide and a nice even 5X5 gross scoring around 156

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/Prowler101/n712241803_961971_4956.jpg

This next buck was a bit of a mutant. He still had quite a bit of velvet on his antlers even though it was mid November, and the rut was in full swing. He was hanging with several other smaller bucks. the guy we hunt with down there was the head Game biologist for the area, and he said, "something is wrong with this buck, he would be a good one to take" Like I needed to be told to shoot him. we watched him for over an hour untill he moved on to land we were allowed to hunt. It was about 18 deg, very warm. We were hunting in T shirts... He is 26" wide and gross scores 171

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/Prowler101/n712241803_961972_5221.jpg

The next one is one of my faves. I had screwed up my knee scouting the day before, so we were riding the quad around looking for a buck to make a stalk on, and found this guy. I was determined to get one with my open sights 30/30, and was extatic when we were able to get within about 50 yards of this one
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/Prowler101/n712241803_961973_5494.jpg

The next one was my best buck taken to date, anywhere. we were making a stalk on this buck to try and get him with a bow. My buddy was packing his bow, and I was on the video camera. we videoed all our hunts down there and made a pact, not to shoot unless the camera was rolling. Anyway, we got to about 70 yards, and could not get closer, so buddy said, "give me the camera, and hammer that buck" Uhmm, OK!:)
He was bedded in the buckbrush, so buddy says, "you ready?" Yup. He yells, "HEY DEER" and the buck stood up for a second, till I layed him down again....
He is 25" wide and gross scores 175

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/Prowler101/n712241803_961974_5770.jpg

This next one was a true HOG. Long stalk, in very cold conditions, and an unreal shot, but the end result was breathtaking, and I got the whole thing on video. He is my buddys best buck to date, and it was a priveledge to be able to video it for him.
He is 26" wide, and gross scores 189" he almost ran me over after he was hit, thats how close we were.
I can not wiat untill next year...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/Prowler101/n712241803_962846_441.jpg

Bighorn hunter
11-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Wow, some really great bucks. Need a Third for next year?

Blainer
11-17-2008, 05:39 PM
THAT LAST BUCK IS A MONSTER,for the u.s.a.LOL

browningboy
11-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Some nice deer, I'm heding down to Denver mid January, wonder is theres a Cabelas down there or???
I always thought of doing a elk hunt down there, would be fun!

Prowler
11-17-2008, 06:03 PM
I think the nearest Cabelas is in Sydney Nebraska, not that far away, and worth the drive. Just leave your wallet in the truck...

bruin
11-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Nice string of bucks prowler, pretty good yearly average

browningboy
11-17-2008, 06:11 PM
I think the nearest Cabelas is in Sydney Nebraska, not that far away, and worth the drive. Just leave your wallet in the truck...

Damn, now I have to google it!:razz:

hunter1947
11-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Prowler that bottom buck in the pic is a honker of a buck.
I love the thickness of his antlers ,I have heard that there are some bucks that top off at 240 and better down in them parts of the woods.

Rattler
11-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Very impressive bucks. Thanks for sharing...

Sitkaspruce
11-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks Bud

I need to go catch up on some sleep, and you throw those out there to look at:eek:;):p.

I have a pict of the last buck on my board and it sure is a sweet looking deer. Those others are not so bad either.....;)

It was a pretty amazing place to hunt......had some great gophers shoots at that place. Saw elk, a few pronghorn and deer.

See ya in a few days

SS

Prowler
11-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Ahh yes, the gopher hunting... Hahaha, remind me and Trophy hunter to tell you the gopher story when we see you this week.:smile: Funny stuff. Yup, amazing place. It has it all. Did I mention, I cant wait till next year?:biggrin: