PDA

View Full Version : Another grizzly attack

xcaribooer
09-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Just saw on the morning news there was 60 year old logger killed by a mother grizz with cubs east of Quesnel. His truck was broken down and he was walking out for help. They said that the hunt is on for the bear.

ape
09-23-2005, 09:48 AM
East of Prince George about 30kms

partsman
09-23-2005, 10:05 AM
Here is the real story.

"A man has been mauled to death by a grizzly bear in Invermere just south east of Prince George. This is the first fatal attack in 3 years. The man got a flat tire and was walking back to get help when he was killed by a sow grizz with 2 cubs."

I only posted something someone put up elsewhere.

brotherjack
09-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Here is the real story.

A man has been mauled to death by a grizzly bear in Invermere just south east of Prince George. This is the first fatal attack in 3 years. The man got a flat tire and was walking back to get help when he was killed by a sow grizz with 2 cubs.

Ouch - that's just north of me (and a LONG LONG ways south and east from PG - an hour or so north from Highway 3/Cranbrook actually).

MB_Boy
09-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Just to clarify......it was just south of PG, but the genetleman was from Invermere.

Regardless still very sad and becoming part of the weekly news.

NEEHAMA
09-23-2005, 10:45 AM
walk quietly and carry a big gun.

partsman
09-23-2005, 10:45 AM
I just copied anothers post.

brotherjack
09-23-2005, 10:51 AM
I just copied anothers post.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to pick on you - that's what I assumed was you were copying a news report from somewhere, and I was just meaning to make a comment on the report you copied.

partsman
09-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to pick on you - that's what I assumed was you were copying a news report from somewhere, and I was just meaning to make a comment on the report you copied.

Sniff, Sniff.
That is okay, I am just used to Steady picking on me.
But I knew what you meant.

J_T
09-23-2005, 11:31 AM
The man's name was Art Louie. I knew him personally, and he was an awesome man. Quiet and full of integrity.

He was not a logger, but a prospector and a very good one at that. He personally had two mines that were in production as a result of his prospecting.

An excellent man and the mining community as well as his hometown of Invermere suffers in the loss.

JT

rollingrock
09-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Looks like grizzlies are more agressive than blackies? So if someone walks in woods with a reasonably big gun and encounters a grizzly unexpectedly, the better way to protect himself is shoot first? I think Gatehouse was chased by a grizzly some time ago. :mrgreen:

brotherjack
09-23-2005, 01:32 PM
I've heard and read that bear spray is actually more effective at warding off a bear attack than a rifle. It'd scare me witless to have to face down a bear with nothing more than a can of pepper spray though...

The few times I've felt threatened by a bear in the bush, I've grabbed the rifle and given it a "shock and awe" shot into the dirt somewhere near" it's head. Never seen one stick around after that. Not that I expect it to ever happen, but if I ever have one take one more step my way after the wake-up shot, it'll get the second round right between the eyes, and I'll take my fine or whatever in one piece, thanks.

Situation like that guy though, not much could be done I don't reckon. :(

I had a friend of mine who was out hunting this year, who got to go back and look for some of his gear the next day, after the grizz chased him all the way back to the truck at a full tilt boogie (he actually thinks the grizz stopped chasing him after 10-20 yards, but he didn't stop till he hit the truck).

ruger#1
09-23-2005, 01:39 PM
bear spray works , but when it starst to break down it becomes an attractant, so if you use it around your camp . it would be wise to move your camp someware else. best thing would to be able to carry a 44 mag or a sawed off shot gun with slugs.

todbartell
09-23-2005, 01:57 PM
I'd want a god damn 416 and alot of luck if a grizz was after me...:-o :?

brotherjack
09-23-2005, 02:29 PM
best thing would to be able to carry a 44 mag or a sawed off shot gun with slugs.

Unfortunately, both of those options are illegal in Canada.. :(

ruger#1
09-23-2005, 03:02 PM
thats only if you get caught with them, some times life is more important then some stupid law!

NEEHAMA
09-23-2005, 03:05 PM
very sorry to hear about this man. truly sad. i understand this man had no gun either? may not have helped him anyway. i heard bears charging are tough to hit?

on that note,
i always hear a lot of hunters say they will shoot the charging grizz if they had to. the sad thing is most of us would never hit the target. i was challenged by a bear guide long ago. he explained the vital area on a charging bear is approx. the size of a plastic 1 gallon milk jug. this was their excersise. take the empty milk jug and tie it to 50 yards of light rope. stand the "shooter" with the rope going in between his legs and extended out the rope 50 yards with the jug at the end of it in front of the shooter. a second person grab's the end of the rope and starts to run back away from behind the shooter. pulling the milk jug toward the shooter through his legs. that milk jug comes bouncing along the ground toward the shooter. just like a bear charging (up down side to side). shoulder the rifle look through the scope and just try to put one in the jug. and it's not even moving as fast as a bear !

most guys will freak right out at a charging bear and unload the clip too far out. i like a shot gun, no plug with buck shot, slug, buck shot etc . and i keep pepper spray in the camper. if i'm on foot with my rifle i really don't like my odds. i don't think i can hit it. i'm trying to train myself if that day comes to wait the bear in and stick the muzzle in it's mouth. then i may hit it. doubt i could wait it in though.

e

brotherjack
09-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Yeah, if he was in full charge, you'd either need enough warning to line him up a long ways out, or you'd have to wait till near point-blank range. I wouldn't like my odds on foot with a rifle either, but I'd like them better than if I was totally unarmed.

7 mag
09-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Enough about how to fend off attacking Bear's, What about our responsibilaty as hunter's?

Are we being aggrasive enough in our pursuit & execution of fair allocation in relation to this species population?
If you ask me it is getting out of hand, I've personally had more Bear encounters in the last year than i've had in the last 10yr's.

NEEHAMA
09-23-2005, 03:55 PM
what are you driving at here? what are you refering we do?

7 mag
09-23-2005, 04:03 PM
More pressure has to be put on the authorities to increase LEH for Grizz, Plain & simple.

brotherjack
09-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Good point 7 Mag - though it applies to blackies as well as grizz I think.
My father-in-law says (and I somewhat believe him), that attacks are on the rise because too many bears are reaching maturity without having the daylights scared out of them by a human with dogs and a rifle at least once in their younger years.

Hunting bears has gotten way too complicated legally, for a lot of people to do it anymore (including me). I like my other hunting priveliges too much to risk having them yanked because I shot some ole sow who didn't have her cubs around for me to see before I shot. I know a lot of guys who used to hunt them, but gave it up after the laws came in that you had to pack out the meat and have it butchered and everything. Bag limits in the Kootenay's is 2 - but I can only think of 2 guys out of maybe a hundred or two that I've gabbed with who'll hunt a bear, and both of them are trophy hunters only - they go years without shooting a bear while looking for the big one. And they wonder why black bear populations are exploding around here...

Anyway... enough of this web-hunting, I'm gonna go grab my rifle and do some of the real thing. :mrgreen:

NEEHAMA
09-23-2005, 04:30 PM
do you really think this will curve attacks? just for shits and giggles can you give me two numbers? approx. how many grizz in b.c.? just take a stab at it? and how many tags (what number) would you ask for if the powers to be were listening? please list both numbers.

*as i read over this it looks like i'm challenging a bit but this is not the case. i have know idea how many grizz there are etc.. i'm just listening to your idea. i'm on your team but i'm not sure on the numbers here.

Marc
09-23-2005, 04:39 PM
From the last report I've read there is an estimated 17,000 grizzly's up from 13,000 or so 5 years ago. Black bear population is around 160,000-200,000. As far as how many LEH I don't know of the top of my head.

sniperontheridge
09-23-2005, 06:28 PM
sorry to hear about the poor fellow up there.maybe this could be a lesson for all of us who venture out .carry our firearms where ever we go .walk softly and carry a big stick.

partsman
09-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Well I will be in 7-06 looking for moose, so I will watching my back.
You just never know.

stonesheep
09-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Why do I always read something like this just before I head off goat hunting, The area we are heading to is bear infested , last fall we saw 9 grizz in 4 days, and had one not so thrilling moment with a sow and three 200 pound cubs. We have a grizz leh for that area this fall so I am hopeing for an incounter but would love for it to be on my terms not the bears. I too agree that grizz numbers are at a High, at least in the past 15 years or so. I have had two nearly serious encounters in the last three goat hunts I have been on, Im beginning to think Im a bear magnet..

1/2 slam
09-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Grizzly numbers are not up. They are almost extinct. Just ask Suzuki. You are just seeing things.;) ;)

But on a serious note. I agree that grizzly numbers are up. For the first number of years we did fly in trips we never saw one. In the last 5 years we've lost a moose and elk to one and have seen quite a few moore.

I feel sorry for this fellows family.

Rob
09-26-2005, 04:36 AM
Im heading up to Likely/Quesnel lake area in a week 1/2. My partner is already a wee concerned about grizz. guess i wont mention this story. Anyone hunt this area much? ever see many grizzlies? I had a discussion with a friend about bear attacks and how to defend yourself when hunting he suggested a hand gun(illeagel)but like i said you can only shoot one gun at a time, and i know how much i suck at shooting targets with my handgun at 20yds let alone a chargin grizz:shock:

Bowhunter32
09-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Well i live in the Grizzliy country, up her ein mcbride some of the biggest grizzlies cam e out of this area, and i ahve had a few run ins wiht them in the mountains but everyone has been more scared of me than i really was of it, but i am sure there is a time when you will get tha tone , i had a lot of run ints with blackbears aswell one i could have touched the ******* with my gun tip standing on its hind legs at me , all i can say is CAMO GEAR, i will live by that stuff it is so amazing your there but they know somethings there but cant figure it out, but all in all i hunt with a 300 weatherby soanything i come across is dead if i had to take a shot....

I had a friend with a cougar stocking him up a cut line, out this way, and he killed it but managed to get his shot off at it when the thing finally died it was 3 feet infront of him to close for comfort that, but then he reported it to the athorities and they still fined his ass for that, i have to tell you these game wardens are out to be plain of pricks some times, all they want it to make money and charge you any way they can,
I get pretty freaked out hunting alone in the buch myyself i usually wiht my old man hes fear less, how he does it i dont know , and we been hiking in the dark at 430am every morning to get to out field on Private land for out Elk hunts and that even makes me uncomfortable but then i have to realize i have had so many run ins already and never had to shoot something yet which i am glade but i am sure one day it migh thappen and then it might not, you just have to be carefull and alert when you areout hunting is all and use common scence....

I feel sorry for that fellow but in all all ther was nothing that he could have done to get out of that situation, i dont know the exact reason he was in the bush weather it was a job or just traveling, but if it was me, that rifle would be n my truck or car for these reasons.....

J_T
09-26-2005, 12:25 PM
When it comes to predator defense, those that reach for their gun as an answer should try hunting with a bow. It puts a whole new perspective on the heirarchy of the forest.

When I work in the forest I carry a Defender. Many guys I work with carry a pistol. When challenged (by me) to prove their abilities, not one of them could hit the side of a 45 gallon drum at 10 yards. Not one of them.

When I hunt, I hunt with a bow, and I carry pepper spray.

Better to use your brain than rely on the false security a gun tends to provide. I have not met an angry bear, but have encountered many curious and at close range. Watching for sign and paying attention to details is important.

JT

mainland hunter
09-26-2005, 12:49 PM
id still rather have a gun then spray, i know they say the spray works well but like someone else posted, a shot near its feet ussually gets them running. ive only done it once with a blacky snoopiing to close to camp for my liking, he booked her and didnt come back so boom sticks are still good defense in my mind. hopefully i never have a grizz charge, but i know a few whove had it happen. i wonder how many instances there actually that dont get reported. too many im sure

09-26-2005, 02:07 PM
do you really think this will curve attacks? just for shits and giggles can you give me two numbers? approx. how many grizz in b.c.? just take a stab at it? and how many tags (what number) would you ask for if the powers to be were listening? please list both numbers.

*as i read over this it looks like i'm challenging a bit but this is not the case. i have know idea how many grizz there are etc.. i'm just listening to your idea. i'm on your team but i'm not sure on the numbers here.

Not even the ministry of environment knows how many Grizzlies there are.

When challenged (by me) to prove their abilities, not one of them could hit the side of a 45 gallon drum at 10 yards. Not one of them.

I find this hard to believe:neutral: I am willing to bet that my wife, who has never shot a handgun, would hit a 45 gal. drum from 10 yards after 1 minute of instruction.

BowsUp
09-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Hmm, going into 6-1 looking for moose in a week. Two years ago lost tenderloins and t-bones to a grizz. Hanging it higher this year if we get one.

Don't own bear spray, I'm comfortable with my pump and slugs.

Shortshucking would be a bitch. :eek:

J_T
09-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Quote:
When challenged (by me) to prove their abilities, not one of them could hit the side of a 45 gallon drum at 10 yards. Not one of them.

I find this hard to believe:| I am willing to bet that my wife, who has never shot a handgun, would hit a 45 gal. drum from 10 yards after 1 minute of instruction. 1899, I didn't ask you to believe it. I told it exactly as it happened. Over a period of 1 week, while working in the Iskut river area and accessing the area by helicopter support. We started each day by firing our weapons at any nearby stump. (Obviously to maintain a level of proficiency) While those using pistols could hit the mark while taking care and aim, we also practised a simulated panic situation (IE charging bear). While the 12 Ga defenders, might have been slightly off the mark the SSG did tear up the stump, the pistol users were all over the place, never hitting the target. In further discussion with them they admitted they carried the weapon without being proficient with it.

JT

Gateholio
09-27-2005, 12:17 PM
The numbers for grizzlies are anywhere form about 13000 to 17000. Okay, about 250 if you believe the Eco-Weenies.;)

About 250 grizzlies are killed byu hunters each year (in hunting situations, not defense situations)

About half that number is resident hunters.

A similar number are killed as 'problem' bears.

Handguns take alot of practice to become proficient with.

I would always choose a rifle or a shotgun with slugs and not buckshot over a handgun, but the advantage that a handgun offers is that it is always on your body, where you may have leaved the rifle against a tree to go do something, or maybe you leave it back at camp that day because it is cumbersoe and you haven't seen any bears lately....:lol: