PDA

View Full Version : BEST cheep rifle protection from weather

apieceofsky
11-17-2008, 02:24 AM
I'm keen to find out what all you rain forest dwelling folk do to keep the water of your rifle when hunting for days in a row in rain with a rifle that isn't stainless. Drag bag, Plastic bag, tape on the muzzle, any trick of the trade ,you tell me. I'm talking about the sort of hard out penetrating rain that you don't want to be carrying your wepon in the open for???

Glenny
11-17-2008, 06:12 AM
You might try wiping it down before and after with a silicon cloth. I got one with my "Big Bore" cleaning kit. I have also heard of guys putting finger cots ( From a 1st aid kit) over the muzzle. They look like a miniature condom. And you can shoot with them on. No coments from the peanut gallery. LOL

Brambles
11-17-2008, 06:40 AM
buy a stainless

Hilgy
11-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Send it to Corlanes in Dawson and have it teflon coated. Its the best thing I have ever done to any of my rifles.

I've done three now(one that was stainless) and will continue to have any new ones i buy done.

At $165 I think its money well spent.

Hilgy

Gnarly
11-17-2008, 08:57 AM
wd-40 or a silicon cloth, using a non stainless rifle in the rain wont cause it to melt, been doing it for years

kishman
11-17-2008, 09:01 AM
I've used G-96 gun treatment for a few years now, it seems to keep all the blued metal on my Blr in good shape.

-KM

MichelD
11-17-2008, 10:11 AM
I dose my shotguns with Fluid Film when heading out into the sideways rain and salt spray.

My 55-year-old walnut and blue steel Husquvarna 270 too if the weather looks grim. I tape the muzzle as well.

boxhitch
11-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Its going to get wet. So daily maintenance is required. Pull off the stock, dry things inside and out, and aply a light oil where needed, and heavier where needed.
Restocking is no problem , with the right screws and right tool, and consistent torques.
Its going to get wet.

Stresd
11-17-2008, 10:33 AM
I started using Ballistol for all my firearm maintenance years ago. Fantastic stuff. Used to have to have to bring it in from back east, but my last bottle I was able to buy at Hunters, here in Surrey.
http://www.firehawktech.com/v/vspfiles/V4_Backup/b^firearms.asp

huntwriter
11-17-2008, 11:36 AM
I dampen a cloth with silicon lubricant (Remington) and wipe the barrel with it. The water pearls right off it. After the hunt I take the barrel off dry it well and wipe it down as above with silicon lubricant. Only takes a minute or two, works well and is cheap.

goatdancer
11-17-2008, 12:41 PM
buy a stainless

That will rust too if you don't take care of it. A good wipe down with G96 weasel piss seems to take care of things for my guns. Mind you, I don't live or hunt in monsoon country like some of you.:-P:-P:-P

goatdancer
11-17-2008, 12:42 PM
By the way, a synthetic stock helps too.

Salty
11-17-2008, 02:16 PM
I've used G-96 gun treatment for a few years now, it seems to keep all the blued metal on my Blr in good shape.

-KM

I'll second that. Read the directions for protecting the metal. Essentially you apply way more than you would to the inards of the rifle, build it up, and its quite effective.

A few years back I did an experiment (with a BLR actually) where I treated it with G96 and hunted with it every day for a week during the monsoons. I didn't even dry the rifle out each night, left it in the truck, just to see what would happen. The only sign of rust was where I had taped the muzzle and left it on for a week. A very faint bit of rust had started at the muzzle, it cleaned up easily.

So I would have to say if you treat it, take the muzzle tape off each night, dry the rifle out a bit, you should be good to go under most any condition if you need to hunt with a non stainless rifle..

whitespringer
11-17-2008, 02:46 PM
[quote=Hilgy;360498]Send it to Corlanes in Dawson and have it teflon coated. Its the best thing I have ever done to any of my rifles.

I've done three now(one that was stainless) and will continue to have any new ones i buy done.

Do they do the inside of the barrel as well or just the exterior? I wonder if you could get a higher velocity with some slippery coating?:idea:

spreerider
11-17-2008, 08:50 PM
I just clean my gun when i get home, keep the wood in good condition with lots of oil rubbed in and water is not a problem, just gotta look after your gun.

blackwater
11-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Paste wax will keep things from rusting until you finish your hunt and have time to clean it proper. Coat all the metal (not the bore) and wood inside and out. That is the 'cheepest'.

Hilgy
11-17-2008, 09:45 PM
whitespinger,

They just coat the out side of the barrel ,bolt handle, trigger guard and I send them my scope rings as well.

Hilgy

apieceofsky
11-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Kool,go the G96. There's a reason you can find that stuff in every gun store around the globe aye. In my gun cleaning kit back home too. The worst inviroment iv'e delt with is 100% humidity, seen the rust form on the barrel in front of me. Good to hear all the imput, sounds like it's worth going stainless from the begining instead of paying the similar cost of teflon if you have the choice though.

Cheers

Downtown
11-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Howdy;
My working tool is a Safari grade Belgian Browning Bolt Action in 338 Win Mag. Due to daily use for 30 years in every weather no more bluing left no matter to me as I am interested only that it flawlesly works and makes a bang when it needs to. This Steel on this Rifle seems to have a high nickel contend and does not rust to much. If I clean and Oil it I normaly use regular engine Oil 2 or 4 cycle becouse it is always available in the Camps.

WD40 never worked for me, wears of quickly and actually seems to promote rust (simmilar like Diesel) afer it is gone. Ballistol I like the smell of it and use it at home on my fine Rifles, oiled Woodstocks and Leather Gun slings all of which almost never see my real hunting world. But beware, Ballistol if left for to long (like years)will "gum" up smal springs like the one you find in ejector claws. Most Shooters never clean these small springs becouse they dont know how to take them out, a job better left for the brave or foolish or for a Gunsmith whom knows what he is doing.

A bit of masking tape is allways over the muzzle to prevent water and dirt getting into the Barrel. Another 6 inch wrapped arround the Barrel for spare. Never put a wet Gun into any kind of closed Guncase as this will promote rust and oil it daily if you are using leather Horse Scabarts.

A pice of innertube will act as Scopecaps. No need to cry if you loose one every week of hard hunting. A pice of innertube with holes cut into it to separate Shells is handy to ceep your spare shells from rattling in your Pocket

Be safe and Happy trails.

spreerider
11-20-2008, 06:55 PM
WD40 is not a lubricant like it says its a detergent the small amount of oils in it will be cleaned off by the detergent and will remove any oil already on the gun and many other anti rust coatings,

BCRiverBoater
11-21-2008, 02:43 PM
[quote=Hilgy;360498]Send it to Corlanes in Dawson and have it teflon coated. Its the best thing I have ever done to any of my rifles.

Do they do the inside of the barrel as well or just the exterior? I wonder if you could get a higher velocity with some slippery coating?:idea:

I had one of my rifles done and it was awesome for the first year or two but if you use your rifle a lot it wears off and even chips off. I do backpack hunting and the gun rubs on my pack at times and the teflon wore off. Also the end of the barrel wore from gun cases and riding in my vehicle.

Corlanes powder coats rifles and it is the only way to go. Way stronger than the teflon. Talk to them and they will recommend this over teflon any day. Of course it costs a little more.

spreerider
11-21-2008, 08:16 PM
powdercoated you could have a very unusual barrel, bright red, black, hot pink :O. green just about anything you could ever want,
i like powdercoat but if it scratches water can get under the other coat like a scratch on an old car and cause rust under the coat causing the coat to flake off.
most powdercoat is very durable tho.