PDA

View Full Version : deer meat

Woodrow
11-16-2008, 03:01 PM
What do you do with that old stinky buck?

tomahawk
11-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Your talking about 2 different things.....
(1) the meat
(2) is the stinky rutting exterior of a big buck.

Field dress the stinky buck properly and you have great tasting meat every time. Deer that eat better food sources each day will give the meat a better taste but normally the only way you get poor meat quality is poor meat handling, its that simple!

Woodrow
11-16-2008, 03:45 PM
(1) the meat

Field dress the stinky buck properly and you have great tasting meat every time. Deer that eat better food sources each day will give the meat a better taste but normally the only way you get poor meat quality is poor meat handling, its that simple!
Come on if a buck is running around drinkin piss you think keeping it clean is gunna make it taste great.

barry1974w
11-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Whitetail still seem to taste just fine no matter how rut stinky they are, Mule deer.... well, lets just say they seem to get a bit more "flavor" as the rut progresses. But eat it really rare and it still tastes alright, as for anything you grind up, sausage and pepperoni.

elkdom
11-16-2008, 04:34 PM
What do you do with that old stinky buck?

hang the rack on an outdoor wall, or cape it out and take cape and antlers to taxdermist, then skin out the rest of the carcass and be carefull not to contaminate meat with stinky hide and the glans, trim off all the fat and bone, make pepperonni and give it to someone you dont like! ,,,,

works for me every time!!

Bighorn hunter
11-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Just BBQ'd up my whitey's ribs tonight, couldn't tell them from beef, Looking forward to the other side

dougan
11-16-2008, 06:25 PM
i tryed to mix a pound of freezer burnt deer burger that got hidden in the freezer with rice and fed it to my dog about 9 hours later i think he started spinning in a circle spraying out his ars on my carpet not a pretty site. never never never ever ever ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! feed deer meat to a dog TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!as for rutting deer its all how you cut it skin it while its still warm spray it with the hose trim all fat and sinue itll taste great

betteroffishing
11-16-2008, 06:39 PM
bad meat says more about the handling than it does about the animal that provided it

twoSevenO
11-16-2008, 06:43 PM
hang the rack on an outdoor wall, or cape it out and take cape and antlers to taxdermist, then skin out the rest of the carcass and be carefull not to contaminate meat with stinky hide and the glans, trim off all the fat and bone, make pepperonni and give it to someone you dont like! ,,,,

well said. I can't believe people actually vote "oh well i'll eat it anyway" ... its dog food, plain and simple. Not gonna force-swallow every bite, just because its deer meat and i like deer meat LOL

blackwater
11-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Let it live till next September...don't hunt the Muley rut and you won't have the problem of wasting meat.

I agree whitetail don't seem to have that problem.

M.Dean
11-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Blackwater said it! All you guys hunting in my area should stay home! Don't hunt the Rut! Hunt the early season, go high and hunt the Alpine, not much use shooting a November buck up here, they stink and they roll in there own pee, necks all swollen and glands a leaking! Some people hunt this time of year simply to get some massive black horned rack with huge bases the size of your wrist, tines that are thick like a axe handle and a spread that makes Oprah's ass look small! What kind of person would hunt the Rut!!! Bottom line, Me! I have passed up tasty little bucks, ones that would melt in your mouth bucks,fat little rolly polly bucks, bucks that walk up to you, stupid bucks and would look good on the Barbie bucks! All to have a tag for a King Of The Mountian Buck! I may eat my tag, it's the chance you take but hopefully i'm eatting some stinking, piss smelling, glands a leaking rutting monster buck steaks, i just keep fondling the rack with each mouth full, takes that rut taste away!!! M.Dean

browningboy
11-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Just my opinion, I voted dog food, can't stand it!
I leave the rutting deer to all you guys!:biggrin:

Viking
11-16-2008, 07:50 PM
If it has a strong game taste, just put it in skimmed milk over night or cook it in creme-of-mushroom soup, yum-yum-good-good.

Moosenose
11-16-2008, 08:17 PM
I've eaten lots of bucks taken in the rut. Be careful when handling the meat. Get the hide off, and be extra careful with the scent glands, both tarsal and metatarsal glands need to be taken off preferably with an extra knife (not to be used again until after washing).
As far as dogs, I feed my dog whatever I eat, some he choses not to eat (vegetables, potatoes, etc)
The only critter we ever got that couldn't be eaten was a moose that was gut-shot by another hunting party (no idea how long before). Instestinal fluids had ran through the meat rendering it unfit for human consumption.

blomgren
11-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Leave The Hide On This Will Draw Wild Flavour Out Off The Meat I Have Always Done This When Shooting A Buck In The Rut You Will Never Tell That It Was Shot In The Rut . Hang It For 10 Days

elkdom
11-16-2008, 08:30 PM
bad meat says more about the handling than it does about the animal that provided it

Sounds like your some kind of expert so would you mind telling me how many 300 pound + RUTTED-UP trophey mule deer you have eatin in the last 20 years??? I know dam well how to handle and prepare game meat and let me tell you !! a RUTTED OUT mature MULEY is about the most disgusting thing that ever hit the floor of a butcher shop! YOU like EM! fine !! I will ship you one I just killed about 2 hours ago, I will pay the frieght bill! gimmee your address! it will dress out about 225 lbs! its yours FREE !!

moosinaround
11-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Skin it properly, take care to cut off glands, wipe it down with a vinegar/water solution, and let it hang for a while. If you cut bone in cuts, make sure before you cook it to wash off the bone sawdust, as it makes the meat a little more "flavorful". I have had one mulie that was a bit "Gamey", I didn,t kill it or skin it myself, so I don't know how much care they took field dressing and skinning it! Moosin

Big7
11-16-2008, 08:38 PM
I heard coyote tastes good.......!!!

elkdom
11-16-2008, 08:43 PM
I heard coyote tastes good.......!!!

or a big smelly old beaver !!!

betteroffishing
11-16-2008, 08:43 PM
pm sent, thanks

dougan
11-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Sounds like your some kind of expert so would you mind telling me how many 300 pound + RUTTED-UP trophey mule deer you have eatin in the last 20 years??? I know dam well how to handle and prepare game meat and let me tell you !! a RUTTED OUT mature MULEY is about the most disgusting thing that ever hit the floor of a butcher shop! YOU like EM! fine !! I will ship you one I just killed about 2 hours ago, I will pay the frieght bill! gimmee your address! it will dress out about 225 lbs! its yours FREE !!
iF YOUR SO DISGUSTED BY IT DONT SHOOT THEM SOUNDS LIKE YOUR THE EXPERT IN KILLING 300 POUND TROPHY MULE DEER THAT SEEMS LIKE ALLOT OF DISGUSTING MEAT IN YOUR FREEZER GOING TO WAIST!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_frow:icon_frow

tomahawk
11-16-2008, 09:32 PM

IMHO betterofffishing certainly knows more about what to do than anyone who thinks that the rut scent on the hair and hide permeates through to the meat on any big game animal! Its all in the handling, I've been eatin em since the 1970's and I almost exclusively hunt the rut and never had a bad one except when its mishandled during field dressing!

Steeleco
11-16-2008, 09:46 PM
never never never ever ever ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! feed deer meat to a dog TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our Rottie eats all sorts of game trim, bones you name it. BUT she's eaten it from the get go, a dog not used to it, will have it coming out of both ends if given as a once in while treat!! I'll be it's messy :redface:

As for us two legged bests, I just finished cutting last weeks deer, he was real stinky, but after a week in the cooler, all seems to be fine. The neck meat will be pepperoni in a few days, so even that won't be an issue.

Ltbullken
11-16-2008, 09:47 PM

My rutted out stinky buck (270 ish) tastes just fine. Clean handling in the field, cleaned up after skinning and once cooled (3 days) the meat cutter did a fantastic job and made the difference. He cut the fat off and trimmed all the dried outer layer leaving only nice, clean smelling red meat. No gamey taste. My wife who hates deer loves it - she's hovering over my shoulder as I write this - really! Kinda creepy actually... anyway.

this is his wife writing now - I really, really hate deer meat (I'll eat just about anything he brings home but not deer!) however, this stuff tastes great and I admit I am kinda picky...anyway back to the great white hunter... .

(See. told ya, creepy right?! - I'm in deep kak now!:shock:)

What the meat cutter does makes the difference as far as I'm concerned. No comments to you about your handling. Just commenting on my animal.

Steeleco
11-16-2008, 09:49 PM

iF YOUR SO DISGUSTED BY IT DONT SHOOT THEM SOUNDS LIKE YOUR THE EXPERT IN KILLING 300 POUND TROPHY MULE DEER THAT SEEMS LIKE ALLOT OF DISGUSTING MEAT IN YOUR FREEZER GOING TO WAIST!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_frow:icon_frow

Nicely gents, each to his/her own.

Shermdog
11-16-2008, 09:53 PM
okay whoever doesnt want to eat their stinky rut buck meat can give it to me I love all meat and will eat it no problems!!!

Steeleco
11-16-2008, 09:57 PM
okay whoever doesnt want to eat their stinky rut buck meat can give it to me I love all meat and will eat it no problems!!!

Was thinking the same thing, and if I don't I know a mutt that will :shock::shock:

Dannybuoy
11-16-2008, 09:58 PM
(1) the meat

I gotta agree ...and will add that possibly that a buck that is shot and runs away gets some adrenilene and what-not pumping thru the system could add some flavours ? .... personally never had a "stinky" flavoured buck yet and shot a few late season ...both mulies and whiteys

gameslayer
11-16-2008, 10:04 PM

pm sent, thanks

This should get good Can't wait to hear what the freight bill is for perishable goods from Dawson Creek to Vancouver. :-P:eek::biggrin:

Johnnybear
11-16-2008, 10:11 PM
I fully agree with Tomahawk and others. IMHO handling is key. Alot of folks I have witnessed do not handle their game properly from field to finish.

moosinaround
11-16-2008, 10:22 PM
I gotta tell ya, I have noticed a difference in smaller bucks , to larger bucks in the "gamyness" of the taste. I mean not unpalletable difference, but the larger late season bucks have been "Stronger" Tasting. Everyones tastes are different, and what one person finds "Strong", another might find tasty. I mean people eat Blue Cheese, and that has got to be one of the grosses tasting things I have ever tasted!! So each to his/her own. If you like it eat it, if you dont give it away. Elkdom, I wouldn't pay for freight if it was me!! Moosin

Iron-Head
11-16-2008, 10:50 PM
I just recently shot a buck on Texada island. Huge neck smelled like piss, and tastes delicious.
Although I was really surprised to find the top half of the deer's hind quarters a very pale color, in comparison to the rest of the meat it was like pork.

Don in BC
11-16-2008, 11:15 PM
IMHO betterofffishing certainly knows more about what to do than anyone who thinks that the rut scent on the hair and hide permeates through to the meat on any big game animal! Its all in the handling, I've been eatin em since the 1970's and I almost exclusively hunt the rut and never had a bad one except when its mishandled during field dressing!

Like he said

Don

elkdom
11-16-2008, 11:51 PM

Just like I said as stated above, it will cost me near $2 per pound to have it proffessionally butchered and then I will give it to some-one, any-one,
I just HOPE I have enough to go around,,,,,,,,,,,lmao

The 'Hummer'
11-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Just like I said as stated above, it will cost me near $2 per pound to have it proffessionally butchered and then I will give it to some-one, any-one,

A buddy of mine used to live in Dawson Creek and I believe he said there was an outfit by the name of Lawrences Meat Market or something along that line that did a good job. A few years back when we were hunting around Liard Hotsprings, he brought up a big batch of their salami and sausages that were second to none. Some of the best I've ever had.

bad arrow
11-17-2008, 08:04 AM
I'f you want good meat dont shoot big rutting bucks, especially mulies, the reason for poor taste is because when they run after does they burn off their fat reserves which goes into the meat. Later in november they might not have any fat left = poor eating. After a certain time we dont even hunt them because of that, it makes good sausage though. With that said, I have shot some mulies during the later rut that were surprisingly good eatin.

creakinbones
11-17-2008, 10:00 AM
[quote=elkdom;360201]a RUTTED OUT mature MULEY is about the most disgusting thing that ever hit the floor of a butcher shop! YOU like EM! fine !!

I love these blanket statements. It's usually a reflection of limited experience or a one time bad experience that creates a lifelong opinion. I' ve shot a few mature muleys in my day that have been "rutted out", stinkier than me after a long hunt and have been fantastic eating. Handling after the shot is so important to the quality of meat. If a guy leaves blood clotting between the layers to sour or if he gut shoots it and doesn't cut out the affected areas you're asking for an inferior product. I've seen people drop off at the butcher ,animals that literally have been covered in dirt and bullet holes with dried gut/blood in them expecting a quality tasting product. Makes no sense to me that if a person is so disgusted by what he hunts he even hunts it.

brotherjack
11-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Bah, humbug! November mulies (at least around Cranbrook) have plenty of fat on them (I know, because I cut it all off - lots of work!), and if handled properly, they taste great (even big-ish ones). The nice sized one The Wife(tm) shot this year is so tender you could chew his hindquarters with your tongue and the roof of your mouth, and the flavor was excelent.

A bad tasting deer here or there, sure I can believe that - but based on personal experience, I have NEVER had a bad mulie, and all but one of mine were shot in November.

elkdom
11-17-2008, 10:41 AM
I gotta tell ya, I have noticed a difference in smaller bucks , to larger bucks in the "gamyness" of the taste. I mean not unpalletable difference, but the larger late season bucks have been "Stronger" Tasting. Everyones tastes are different, and what one person finds "Strong", another might find tasty. I mean people eat Blue Cheese, and that has got to be one of the grosses tasting things I have ever tasted!! So each to his/her own. If you like it eat it, if you dont give it away. Elkdom, I wouldn't pay for freight if it was me!! Moosin

Some people like mutton, some eat goat, I do not like to eat mutton or goat, myself I like some deer meat, over the years I have shot over 50 deer under my own licences, guided another 60 or 70 deer kills, some deer is excellent food fare, but to say ALL deer meat is great is a CROCK ! and to say its because of handling after a clean one shot instant kill, and experienced field dressing, that there is no other reason for a stinkee mule deer to taste bad other than how it was field dressed or butchered is why it tastes bad! SORRY ! I have had rutted out muley that when you tried to BBQ the trimmed steaks they smelled like you were cooking a urinal! and if I have to use 2 pounds of wierd spices to disguise the smell of 2 pounds of deer meat, forget it!, I will pay to have it proffessionally butchered and give it away!

betteroffishing
11-17-2008, 04:11 PM

whats this spreading it around thing, i thaught i was in line for 225 lbs of free meat . lol.

Salty
11-17-2008, 04:26 PM
whats this spreading it around thing, i thaught i was in line for 225 lbs of free meat . lol.

No worries there bud, you have a contract. Offer, acceptance ---> Contract! lol

Keep us posted. I'd like to know what its going to cost elkdom to butcher and ship 225 lbs of mule deer too! :-D Too much fun.. And if he doesn't handle it right as seems probable, and it turns out lousy looks like you're not too far from a big ol Rotwieller up coast that'll love it. Too much funn.. :mrgreen:

hunter1947
11-17-2008, 04:29 PM
I don't like it but I will eat it ,I shot it.
I will put the roasts into a crock pot and let it take care of the game taste ,the rest it goes into hamburger or pepperonis.

Ltbullken
11-17-2008, 04:33 PM

My deer was about 200 lbs on the hook. Meat cutter came to my garage to cut it up for $100. About 60 lbs of steaks and roasts in the freezer and took 60 lbs to the deli. $90 later, the best tasting awesome jerky, bratwurst and garlic sausage we've had!

Know what you mean - when I walked up to the buck on the ground I could smell him from 10 ft away! Whew! Once I got the tarsals off and chucked away, he wasn't so bad. Did that last so my hands wouldn't then touch the meat. He was very healthy with lots of fat on him.

A hunter/rancher taught me something once about judging 'stock' - big antlers but thin, not healthy, don't take it. Healthy body with good antlers, prime animal and good tasting. Ask a rancher how they judge stock. I think if more hunters were a bit more picky about the animal, there would be more good venison on the table.

Give me more stinky buck - as long as they are healthy looking!! :p

cmc destroyer
11-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I have a proven method for making any buck taste great.
I popped a big ol' buck a month ago and he was huge and stinky (32" outside spread)
What I do is rub the roast with dry mustard powder and do it in the oven or slow cooker like a regular roast. ZERO GAME TASTE. Try it.
My neighbour lady taught me that.

elkdom
11-17-2008, 06:16 PM
I drive by about a hundred thousand pounds of ROAD killed moose,elk and deer every winter, post your addressess, I have a buddy who long hauls a semi flatbed back and forth to the coast, maybe we could load you up a couple of tonnes of road kill, you could try that too!

betteroffishing
11-17-2008, 06:22 PM
elkdom and i have coresponded via pm's and he seems to be a great guy, i assure you i see no need for him to pay shipping on 225 lbs of butchered deer , but do look forward to his next trip to the " big smoke " and see no reason to think he would try to sabotage his deer just to be deemed correct. as another member posted earlier, some people like goat some dont.

The 'Hummer'
11-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Well, two stories.
- #1 Over the years I've shot both Deer and Moose, before the rut, during and after. As/the teachings of my Dad, being very careful on the handling of the carcass, I haven't had a 'bad' one, with one exception and that 'seemed' to defy it all. Heading up for a Moose hunt at the end of September, quite a few years ago, I stopped in at Quesnel on the way for a visit and a day hunting Deer with my brother in law. I head shot a two point Mulie and the handling was as good as I'd ever done. Quite a while after we returned, I came home from work and I could smell it before I opened the door. We tried a few more cuts over the next couple and the result was the same. It was a young animal, in good shape, cleanly shot and well handled but it tasted worse than it smelt. Why I don't know but it ended up as food for my German Shorthair.
- #2 In the area where I hunt Moose, and close to where I used to live in the central interior, my cousin had a swamill site and I've pulled a number of Moose from close by in the surrounding area. Anyway, in a discussion with him, he made mention of the number I had taken and asked if I'd ever had a 'bad' one. I told him no but he suggested if I ever did, try soaking the particular cut of meat in 7-UP over night prior to cooking it. He claimed it would eliminate the strong/wild taste. Now I've never had the opportunity to do so, but the big question is, how the hell would you ever come up with that as a solution??? A 'few' too many Rye & 7 in camp??

betteroffishing
11-17-2008, 08:03 PM
oh and by the way no interest in the roadkill offer, thanks though

Rick Papp
11-18-2008, 09:36 AM
:smile: Being a vetran hunter and having eaten all sorts of deer, moose and elk I learned from my teacher that proper handling while field dressing is the difference between good meat and bad meat. Yes I mean Muley Buck in the rut too.

The first thiang I ever do with a muley is remove the scent glands with one knife, then skin it out completely with a new clean knife. Being careful not to let the hair touch the meat too is all important. I will eat mule deer meat anytime depending on who is doing the field dressing. :smile: RP

The 'Hummer'
11-18-2008, 10:58 AM
:smile: Being a vetran hunter and having eaten all sorts of deer, moose and elk I learned from my teacher that proper handling while field dressing is the difference between good meat and bad meat. Yes I mean Muley Buck in the rut too.

The first thiang I ever do with a muley is remove the scent glands with one knife, then skin it out completely with a new clean knife. Being careful not to let the hair touch the meat too is all important. I will eat mule deer meat anytime depending on who is doing the field dressing. :smile: RP

I agree and use much the same care procedures you've listed although I wasn't quite as explicit in post #47. I was just as careful with the one exception I made mention of so why it turned out the way it did I couldn't tell you. I've had to handle a few animals under some pretty adverse conditions and circumstances but that wasn't the case with this one.:confused:

elkdom
11-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Sorry!! I dont like mule deer meat during rut, thats all there is to it. I get an elk and a moose every year, and I have for past 35 or so years, I have had one shitty tasting moose and two shitty rutted out elk out of a total of about 23 elk I have taken, as for Rutting mule deer I have had one good tasting one out of about 40 of them over the years, this thread started as poll on preferences, I do not prefer mule deer meat! I shoot them because I like to hunt them, and whitetails, I do not waste the meat, it costs me money to process it,
and I give it away,,,,

of coarse there must be some expert advice here on why all meat ( lets use T Bone steaks for example) from Safeway dont give the same results when cooked in the same manner????? from what I am hearing here , all beef should be excellent, because if you had ONE good BEEF steak,
they ALL should be GOOD! this sounds reasonable????????? duh!!!

one-shot-wonder
11-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Ate a couple of mule deer steaks last night fresh from the butchering of my buck last week....tasted great. He stunk to high heaven but a careful field dressing and meticulous butchering has taking this buck to the freezer an eater!:razz:

Come to think of it I just tried a batch of jerky I made last night from an '04 Nov mule deer and it 'aint half bad......I can taste the freezer a little more than I like but it will do.

I tend to find a few hunters are too picky and want their deer to taste like "the Keg". Well try again....go by half a beef if you want that, and leave the deer in the bush for us!

elkdom
11-18-2008, 07:35 PM
I tend to find a few hunters are too picky and want their deer to taste like "the Keg". Well try again....go by half a beef if you want that, and leave the deer in the bush for us!

OH! now I am beginning to understand !!! this ISN"T a poll on our personal choices or opinons about stinkee rutting deer meat!!

it appears to have become a thread on "SOUR GRAPES",
so sorry,,, I dont have an opinion on SOUR GRAPES!!

thatskindafunny
11-18-2008, 08:41 PM
I have eaten several mule deer shot in the rut. And to stay on track with the poll, I don't like eating the stinky ones but the ones that don't stink are just fine.

elkdom
11-18-2008, 08:47 PM
I have eaten several mule deer shot in the rut. And to stay on track with the poll, I don't like eating the stinky ones but the ones that don't stink are just fine.

X 2,,,,,finally common sense prevails,

bad arrow
11-18-2008, 09:47 PM
I kinda got stepped on too when I pointed out some facts about rutting bucks, I have probably butchered well over 100 deer for myself and friends over the years and eaten them, there is a difference between one killed in lets say sept and one killed in late nov and later. I'f the animal is cared for properly thats the best you can do, the meat is alot easier to care for later on when it gets cooler out ie: cooling out of the carcass, being able to hang for longer periods of time as opposed to the warmer months. What the deer has been eating plays a significant role in flavor, and there is a time when rutting bucks dont eat at all. Why would a rutting buck be different than any other animal that ruts. I prefer to get em early as opposed to later in the rut.

jaeger
11-18-2008, 10:09 PM
I.M.H.O. dont shoot it if you dont eat it!
I have not had any bad tasting meat yet.

elkdom
11-18-2008, 10:39 PM
I.M.H.O. dont shoot it if you dont eat it!
I have not had any bad tasting meat yet.

Do you extend that challenge to all the thousands of tourist hunters that travell the world??? Can you show anyone where in the REG's it is compulsory to EAT what you hunt?? you do what you want and let the rest of the world do as it wants, as long as its not contrary to the BC Regs, whats your beef?? some folks like to eat bugs, some like rats, some like rotten cheeze, so eat
as you wish, but dont tell me not to hunt something because I may not be fond of its taste at that particular time of the year! try this, Bite Me!!

Hank Hunter
11-18-2008, 10:49 PM
This thread smells real gamey

elkdom
11-18-2008, 10:55 PM
This thread smells real gamey

it shor doo smells gamey , donts itt Rastus ??? lmao

tooley
11-18-2008, 11:00 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMM........jerrrrky!

one-shot-wonder
11-19-2008, 09:07 AM

Stinky ones.....If the animal has been properly field dressed the meat should have no smell to it. You and Elkdum should stop eating the hide!:tongue:

one-shot-wonder
11-19-2008, 09:12 AM
OH! now I am beginning to understand !!! this ISN"T a poll on our personal choices or opinons about stinkee rutting deer meat!!

it appears to have become a thread on "SOUR GRAPES",
so sorry,,, I dont have an opinion on SOUR GRAPES!!

Hah you must have a short memory, the true "SOUR GRAPES" thread is about EK elk.....:redface:

Although this is moving in a simliar direction with the trophy hunters coming out ranting THEIR strong opinions.

Let me guess every rutted swollen, piss wallowed bull tastes gross too? :roll:

browningboy
11-19-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm on the same page as Elkdom, but I just don't shoot them, actually don't care for deer meat but one time we had a rutted deer steak, well the dog even turned his nose at it and buried it in the backyard! LOL

I didn't dress the deer so I cannot speak on that but I just don't really like deer too much so generally pass on them unless it has a nice rack then pepporoni it is!

thatskindafunny
11-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Stinky ones.....If the animal has been properly field dressed the meat should have no smell to it. You and Elkdum should stop eating the hide!:tongue:
I guess after field dressing and taking care of my meat the last 39 years of hunting I need someone to show me how it's done. :lol::lol:

Walksalot
11-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Why do many cooking books tell you to harvest a deer before the rut? The reason is there is not enough garlic in the world to make a rutted up mule deer taste good. Don't try to tell me there is not a taste difference between a mule deer shot before the rut and one shot rutted up all to hell. Hunters have to justify their actions. I am sure that every hunter plans to eat the deer they shoot, it's just a matter of when!!!!!
Throw a rutted up deer roast in the oven and live with the smell or jab needles in my eyes, the reality is I would have to think that one over.

rocksteady
11-19-2008, 12:44 PM
I have harvested many mule deer and shot one in the late rut (4 by 5) with a neck like a linebacker....

Properly skinned and cared for and was absolutely terrible.....

Ever since that incident (2004) I will not hunt/shoot mule deer during the rut...

I will take on in September, but after that I usually just leave them alone....Rather have an unfilled tag than 150 lbs of meat that I will never eat...

Just my tastebuds and my choice....

On a side note, have never had an issue with a whitey being yucky, even when in the rut....

Dannybuoy
11-19-2008, 12:52 PM
This one will never be settled to everyones satisfaction as there are just too many variables .... all of which have been brought up in this thread at one time or another , ie what the deer has been eating , how long after shooting did it die , way it was skinned , how much it was in the rut , etc etc etc ..... and the fact that some people just dont "gamey" at all and some love it .

one-shot-wonder
11-19-2008, 01:02 PM
I guess after field dressing and taking care of my meat the last 39 years of hunting I need someone to show me how it's done. :lol::lol:

Don't wipe the blood off the carcass with the tarsal glands.:lol::lol:

elkdom
11-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Don't wipe the blood off the carcass with the tarsal glands.:lol::lol:

Oh !!! look what I found in my pocket! its another mule deer tag! Hmmm,

I think I will take a trip down to 7A for a few days ,

and wack me another muley buck before the rut is over,,,

seems a shame to waste muley tag,,,,

browningboy
11-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Oh !!! look what I found in my pocket! its another mule deer tag! Hmmm,

I think I will take a trip down to 7A for a few days ,

and wack me another muley buck before the rut is over,,,

seems a shame to waste muley tag,,,,

I'll meet you there at 2:30ish

elkdom
11-19-2008, 03:04 PM
I'll meet you there at 2:30ish

No problem ! lol

browningboy
11-19-2008, 03:10 PM
No problem ! lol

Okay I have two tags as well and lots of beer!:lol:;)

one-shot-wonder
11-19-2008, 04:57 PM
No problem ! lol

Glad to see you guys heading out.....lay something down....too many deer up in that country anyways!

Browny good thing your packing along beers, you can start marinating the meat right away if it's too rank for your palate.:redface:

Manglinmike
11-19-2008, 05:34 PM
I have to say I have shot afew big mulies in nov and you could have one bite good and the next ...well you guys all know that yummy nov mulie taste,they make great wall mounts

browningboy
11-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Glad to see you guys heading out.....lay something down....too many deer up in that country anyways!

Browny good thing your packing along beers, you can start marinating the meat right away if it's too rank for your palate.:redface:

You coming? Just be there at 2:30 ish.

TravisC
11-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Well if you want great meat rutted out or not, look after it when field dressing and then butcher it yourself. Save your money and you will only have yourself to blame if the meat stinks. Also if you dont like rutted up meat DONT KILL RUTTED UP DEER. If you kill eat it !!! or give it to the needy and starving.

Fisher-Dude
11-19-2008, 06:12 PM
The 2nd muley I got last November was rutted up. Hell, my dog even stunk for 2 weeks after sticking his nose where it shouldn't be. Properly cooled it, skinned that night, meticulously cleaned it up before it went to the butcher. The sausage was awesome, and the steaks that I had the butcher save are amazing. I've seen what some of you guys take in to the butcher - and I tell him "don't let my deer meat touch that dirty $hit!"

jaeger
11-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Do you extend that challenge to all the thousands of tourist hunters that travell the world??? Can you show anyone where in the REG's it is compulsory to EAT what you hunt?? you do what you want and let the rest of the world do as it wants, as long as its not contrary to the BC Regs, whats your beef?? some folks like to eat bugs, some like rats, some like rotten cheeze, so eat
as you wish, but dont tell me not to hunt something because I may not be fond of its taste at that particular time of the year! try this, Bite Me!!

Point well taken elkdom,
However it does state it is mandatory to remove the edible portions. I am not telling you what to eat and what not to eat, this post is not personal, I am just curious as to why one would shoot something at the time of the year that they do not enjoy eating the meat.
This is not a rant on my part just an opinion.
Cheers Jaeger

Big7
11-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Isn't it obvious? The rut is the best time to harvest a mature wall hanger! Bring back the edible portions and you'll have lot's of dog food to mix with the Purina for the winter if you don't like the taste. If you do, eat it and be merry!!

one-shot-wonder
11-19-2008, 06:53 PM
You coming? Just be there at 2:30 ish.

I would love to, but my Toyota is in the shop.....the lift pump went on my cummins.:lol:

elkdom
11-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Point well taken elkdom,
However it does state it is mandatory to remove the edible portions. I am not telling you what to eat and what not to eat, this post is not personal, I am just curious as to why one would shoot something at the time of the year that they do not enjoy eating the meat.
This is not a rant on my part just an opinion.
Cheers Jaeger

hey bud!,no prob! but we hunters dont set the season dates for such late season hunts! that is done University educated Bio's and our own BC wildlife managers, why would anyone question thier Awsome wildlife policies? how about !! why open season for moose when the first 2 weeks of season it is usually over 30 degrees celcius, many moose hunters loose meat, from bone sour, maggots! do not question F+W policy!
I am not a BIOLOGIST!,thank heaven!!! oops! getting side-tracked from thread! lol

Bowzone_Mikey
11-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Cant ever say I have had stinky Buck ...ever ... Mule are more Pungent of an odor ...there is a reason why they are called stink deer .... and the stinkiest Muley I ever had was a Doe shot in Septemeber in southern Alberta .... 90% of my deer meat gets ground up anyway for sausage, or jerky ..or the odd sag sauce etc... I will butterfly and grill the tenderloins and i might make a Ham out of a roast

whoever that was on the first page that said dont ever feed deer meat to dogs ...your dogs digestion is the problem ... I know people that crap thru the eye of a needle at 50 yrds after eating deer ... My dog has no issues ... I save her the 8 main leg bones with chunks of meat left on them ... she picks it clean within usually an hour and dont have the runs afterward. I freeze them and give her them throughout the year ... i do this with every animal I take

If dressed properly in the feild you wont have a stink problem ... I guess that has double meaning huh ?