PDA

View Full Version : Very little whitey's??

ThisIsLiving
11-16-2008, 01:15 PM
I am just curious to know if many people hunt whiteys on the site i have seen one decent one taken this year soo far and I would like to see em keep coming... im going out in a couple weeks with my bow to the vernon area on some private land that i have rattled in some monsters Keep me posted on the Whitey's plz & thx :p

WoodOx
11-16-2008, 01:26 PM
As much as the main reason for less downed whities so far this year is because they have yet to get into the depths of theur rut - you make a very good point.

Apparently whitetails expand their habitats everyyear, sometimes to the extent to which they will push mule deer from their traditional habitats. If whitetails are such a invasive species and if their numbers do grow as much as they apparently do every year, then why are we not seeing huge influxs of monster bucks being killed?

ThisIsLiving
11-16-2008, 01:45 PM
i couldnt agree with you more with everything you just said there i have seen whitetails taking over many areas that used to be infested with muleys now its the opposite... im not going to lie i have seen some monsters over the past few years just missed opportunities ....im sure your familiar with the aberdeen lake area being from kelowna.... dee lake ect.... i had my dad and a friend i was with miss huge boone and crockets up there 2 years in a row and both times i didnt have my gun.... just along being the guide haha

WoodOx
11-16-2008, 02:02 PM
I am intimatley familiar with the plateau; know a gent who has taken some book deer out of there. unfortunatley I also think everyone and their uncle hunts that plateau and I have trouble getting away from traffic.

I might head up this week - have you seen any sign of whiteies starting to rut at all yet?

be cautious on that private land hunting in vernon - from what I understand , and I may be mistaken, you cannot hunt anything with any sort of weapon in vernon, permission or not?

I do know that middleton mtn has some bsolute pigs on it...

dave_fras
11-16-2008, 03:30 PM
ive heard of 2 big whiteys shot this year... i got a decent one about a week ago...i havent seen any sign of rutting tho... ill be heading out in the morning with my old man.. ill let u know how it goes

WoodOx
11-16-2008, 03:35 PM
pics of yours dave?
bow or rifle?

irishbandit1
11-16-2008, 06:56 PM
The rut seems to be ramping up.In an area I hunt I have found numerous scrapes and rub lines with tree's up to 5" in diameter thrashed.Rattling and the grunt call has not worked to this point.I am thinking the full moon is having an effect on the big boys and keeping them moving later and bedding down earlier.I will be hunting tues,wed and friday.I'll keep you guy's updated.

jml11
11-16-2008, 07:26 PM
The whitetail buck I shot last monday was pretty smelly and his neck was a bit swollen, he was definitely looking for some stray...

GoatGuy
11-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Saw a pile of rubs and 11 scrapes today. Buddy saw a basket 4 that was chasing does and got the run put on 'em by another that he didn't get a look at.

Things are flying here.

dave_fras
11-17-2008, 07:14 AM
i didnt have my cam when i got him... but ive got his rack on the side of my house.... ill take some pics when i get home today

Stone Sheep Steve
11-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Saw jack yesterday.

Quite a few fresh scrapes.

Warm, bright moon....more night activity???

Did hear several shots....maybe it's just me.

Snow wold be nice to "tell a tale"....a white tail that is.....

SSS

Fisher-Dude
11-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Yesterday was dead slow all morning. Did see a 170 class muley in region 8 though, right beside the truck. :cry: Best one I've seen for a few years.

Had a small whitey buck in the crosshairs right at dusk, but wanted to ID him again as I had lost sight of him for a bit since I first saw the antlers, and wasn't sure if there were does around. The 3 second delay was enough for him to bolt.

Too warm out. They are moving at night. I'm afraid the season will be over before we get some weather.

Bigbuckadams
11-17-2008, 08:34 AM
I've seen a few very fresh scrapes and rubs in the past few days. Took my boy out on Saturday morning, only saw one buck, a decent 5X5 chasing 2 does. Saw him again a short while later, nose to the ground. paid no attention to us. Wasn't quite big enough, otherwise, he'd be in the freezer.
Just a comment in regards to the Private land in Vernon & area. I'm not sure about Vernon, but in the Municipality of Coldstream, you are not allowed to discharge any weapon of any sort according to the bylaws. Mind you, that didn't stop a certain ex-hockey pro from taking a pig on Middleton Mountain last fall ( from what I have been told ).

boxhitch
11-17-2008, 10:42 AM
There are areas of Coldstream where shooting is open. Map from the town office. Keep the "100 m. from buildings' rule in mind.

boxhitch
11-17-2008, 10:44 AM
to the vernon area on some private land
Big area. good luck.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-17-2008, 10:44 AM
I've seen a few very fresh scrapes and rubs in the past few days. Took my boy out on Saturday morning, only saw one buck, a decent 5X5 chasing 2 does. Saw him again a short while later, nose to the ground. paid no attention to us. Wasn't quite big enough, otherwise, he'd be in the freezer.
Just a comment in regards to the Private land in Vernon & area. I'm not sure about Vernon, but in the Municipality of Coldstream, you are not allowed to discharge any weapon of any sort according to the bylaws. Mind you, that didn't stop a certain ex-hockey pro from taking a pig on Middleton Mountain last fall ( from what I have been told ).

Charges laid??

SSS

Bigbuckadams
11-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Hunting, according to the Reg's, in Coldstream is permitted in certain areas, I agree. However, unless the Municipality of Coldstream has re-visited this in the past year or two, there is no discharge of bows, crossbows, guns, etc. within the Municipality anywhere. I guess a guy could try a spear or a knife. As far as the guy who killed the buck on Middleton Mtn, I was informed he used a crossbow, not a NYR hockey stick. I CANNOT confirm this, just going by what I was told ( by several people ). No charges laid to the best of my knowledge.

goatdancer
11-17-2008, 12:46 PM

A decent 5x5 wasn't quite big enough???????????

Bigbuckadams
11-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Not quite, I try to take mature animals only. The deer we saw was probably only 3 1/2 years old, so I chose to let him grow. Smaller body, rack is inside his ears. No hi-jack intended, but if you view the video's I posted today, I think it's the first one, if I see him again....he may be in trouble.

hunter1947
11-17-2008, 04:47 PM
I hunt WT and have taken some good ones over the years.

WT filter out to regions that never have had them before ,there are reports of WT sightings as far south as the outskirts of Hope BC.

Nooker77
11-17-2008, 04:58 PM
My holidays start Wed. off till Dec.10!! Yahoo....No WT action at all in any of my honey holes!! Starting to worry...a few does but no "bone" chasing them!! I usually have my WT picked out by this time of year!! As for the ex ranger I missed that story...more details please!!

GoatGuy
11-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Saw jack yesterday.

Quite a few fresh scrapes.

Warm, bright moon....more night activity???

Did hear several shots....maybe it's just me.

Snow wold be nice to "tell a tale"....a white tail that is.....

SSS

lots of shots too.

Spiker, 3 pt and a different 4 pt today and a couple does. Scrapes were checked today as well.

Haven't even bothered rattling yet. Maybe in the morning, but I'm seriously tired. Might just crawl into a sleeping bag and have a nap.

Fisher-Dude
11-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Haven't even bothered rattling yet. Maybe in the morning, but I'm seriously tired. Might just crawl into a sleeping bag and have a nap.

You poor thing. Three weeks straight, out hunting, really tires a guy out. You should get back to work and rest up. :cool:

sawmill
11-18-2008, 06:27 AM
I`m going to take the jinx I call my wife out again Sat.I never see deer when she is with me.................but at least we can bag some more firewood.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Maybe in the morning, but I'm seriously tired. Might just crawl into a sleeping bag and have a nap.

Ahhhhh...Grasshopper.........I see you have finally learned from the Masta:razz:.

Nodding off is the key to the big guys hitting the dirt.......just don't crap your sleeping bag when the 7mm alarm clock goes off in your ear:redface:.

SSS

GoatGuy
11-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Ahhhhh...Grasshopper.........I see you have finally learned from the Masta:razz:.

Nodding off is the key to the big guys hitting the dirt.......just don't crap your sleeping bag when the 7mm alarm clock goes off in your ear:redface:.

SSS

Got meetings today and tomorrow - only put in a half day and slept most of the morning but no dice. No deer!

Sent the old guy into another spot and they rattled in a good 4 pt this morning. Happy hunters.

Some snow would be nice.

Back at 'er thurs morn.

Nooker77
11-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Seen a whopper chasing does last night...ran right infront of me...nice 4x4..hard to tell in the headlights...shoulda sped up instead of hittin the binders!! the cheeky buggers going to get it this week!! ONE more night of work!!!!!! Yahooooo!!:p

PGK
11-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Ruttin hard up in 7a. My buddy found an area plugged with rubs, he was in there this morning, haven't heard from him yet!!
I'll be pounding them on the last day for sure!

irishbandit1
11-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Saw 2 does today and rattled in a 2-point which I passed on.Passed on a pretty decent 4-point earlier this week,still hoping for a wall-hanger.Try another kick at the can in the A.M.

11-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Picked up a small 2 pointer up in 3-30, and saw a nice 3x3 the morning after I cut my tag.

ThisIsLiving
11-18-2008, 09:09 PM
There are areas of Coldstream where shooting is open. Map from the town office. Keep the "100 m. from buildings' rule in mind.

i will be using my bow ... and it wont be anywhere near the coldstream area... ill be heading out in less then two weeks ill be excpecting myself to post some pics dead or alive :-P