PDA

View Full Version : hunt quiet or not

husky30-06
11-16-2008, 01:43 AM
years ago as a junior hunter, I spent several weekends and a full hunting season chasing "that big buck". I would go as quietly as possible to the top of the ridge only to have him bound off the otherside before I could get chance to even see him. Finally after a first light hunt, I quietly made my way up onto the ridge with out hearing him take off, I thought I had finally beat him. As I made my way along the ridge I came accross three does and a small two point, I thought for sure he would be there also. I looked around, watched and waited, but to no avail, he was not there. Pissed off that I had missed him again, I bee-lined it for my truck kicking the ground and crashing my way through the bush, then there he was. I had literally walked right past him earlier. He was still in his bed, laying in behind a huge fir tree, I had to take second look, I lined up on him, still lying in his bed and fired. He did not even get up, I hit him right in the neck, down he went.
Now my question to everyone for hunting mulies, what are your thoughts as to a quiet hunt or a "just walk through the bush". My grandpa used to walk through the bush not bothering to be quiet and would quite often catch the deer still in their beds.

jessonml
11-16-2008, 02:00 AM
I am interested in the answer that guys have to this also. Just returned from a trip and got skunked. Still hunting in the timber very very slow saw lots of deer and some nice bucks but could never get a shot (so frustrated). On the other hand another group near us tagged out and they hunted very fast through the bush (i witnessed a guy walking into the bush and thought to myself "that guy is never going to see a thing" because he was making so much noise only to hear 2 shots 5 minutes later and see him dragging out a nice 4x3. We referred to walking the bush as "still hunting" and they said they are just covering lots of ground "truckin" along. They got lots of bucks and we got none.
I guess it depends on the area too and the amount of pressure. We were in high pressure area which kept the deer moving.
One experience I had was the biggest buck I saw was when I was basically running down hill thinking I was a lot closer to camp only to spring a buck about 40 yards off. He could have heard me a while away. It just didn;t make sense.

doubled
11-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Alot of bucks will stay bedded until they absolutely have to get up. I have found them still sitting down on their haunches watching you like a hawk when I have gone for walks. THey can hear you from a long ways off and if they wanted to leave right away, you probably would bever see them again.

hunter1947
11-16-2008, 07:49 AM
I cover ground quick to get to the area I will be hunting.

Once I get there I take a few steeps and glass ,I crawl and glass.

Every time you walk a few steeps your surrounding change .

I also try not to move my body much when I am walking slow ,if you give less movement the chances of being spotted are less.
Lots of time I will sit down at a good vantage point where I can see a long ways and will glass for 5 or 10 min then move on.

Chuck
11-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Personally, and it has been my experience, it's how they perceive you and what they think you are up to in the particular situation.

They might ignore you completely, or sneak off quietly and before you detect them or even hold till you get closer and then suddenly get up and buzz off.
Some may stay alert to you and let you pass by if they are sure you are not a threat. Your best chance is to detect them before they detect you, then you can plan on what to do and this is your major advantage.
It also depends on how they have been conditioned recently (ie.) human interactions that dictate how they may react to certain activity. As you said noise or no noise, heavy hunting pressure can make them nocturnal and you may never see anything but tracks during the daylight hours. The sound of motors and heavy machinery may not bother them the slightest, but snap one twig with your step and it's bye-bye. It's best to become very familiar with my hunting area and learn these things so I will know how best to approach it.

quadrakid
11-16-2008, 10:23 AM
this is an interesting post. most often when hunting blacktails i still hunt and try to remain undetected.i know of one guy who hunts just the opposite,he covers alot of ground,doesn,t worry about being too quiet and does quite well for himself. two seemingly opposite strategies that appear to produce.go figure.

Orangethunder
11-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks to an HBC members advice I have changed my approach in the last couple of years. I used to 'stalk' about and had some luck doing so but never got all that close. Usually quick shots and fleeing deer. I now try to sound like a buck and it seems to work. I walk a bit quicker, grunt lots, rub trees etc. I also cover myself in buck scent (tarsal glands) and wear quiet clothing. Fleece or wool only. I also cover my pack in fleece so that branches dont brush it making unnatural sounds. I do stop and glass often even in the thick stuff. I'm always surprised how many deer I find using my binos in the timber. Deer often stop and look around for minutes on end so stopping to glass isn't unnatural. I can honestly say I have never been closer to more deer since I have changed my approach.

WoodOx
11-16-2008, 01:44 PM
I would say, if anything, this is the approach I use when hunting the timber. I should really add in grunts but I rub etc to mimic a buck.

I wouldnt never try to pretend I am anywhere near as effective at timber hunting has many on here are, however I like covering ground and in a worst case scenario I will bump a buck, see whether or not he is worth killing, etc. If I do push or see something I want, I know where he lives now and can spend the time in his domain and if that then means stalkin gin at 100m/hour thens o be it. I find it too frusterating to jump into a new area, hope there are deer around, and only see a couple dinks for an entier morning. I would much rather spook something and know its there for me to get later.

Thanks to an HBC members advice I have changed my approach in the last couple of years. I used to 'stalk' about and had some luck doing so but never got all that close. Usually quick shots and fleeing deer. I now try to sound like a buck and it seems to work. I walk a bit quicker, grunt lots, rub trees etc. I also cover myself in buck scent (tarsal glands) and wear quiet clothing. Fleece or wool only. I also cover my pack in fleece so that branches dont brush it making unnatural sounds. I do stop and glass often even in the thick stuff. I'm always surprised how many deer I find using my binos in the timber. Deer often stop and look around for minutes on end so stopping to glass isn't unnatural. I can honestly say I have never been closer to more deer since I have changed my approach.

Orangethunder
11-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Agaucher, I think the key is hunting an area you know holds big bucks. Some days all you might see are dinks but thats hunting. Judging by your season I would say you have found just such an area. I would like to get a bit better at getting pics of those non shooters. Its sometimes a tough choice: buck @ 40 yards-camera, binos, rifle, which one do you reach for?

WoodOx
11-16-2008, 02:37 PM
early season I would be reaching for rifle - onl ybecause I havent acquainted myself with what sort of animals are in there and their new antler growth.

after I start to recognize the deer I would be reaching for photos because it would sur ebe damn cool to get progression of a pig and kill him some 3-5 years later.

its sort of anti climatic shooting a nice buck like my NT this year and finding out hes only 4.5 yrs old. imagine him at 6.5...

husky30-06
11-16-2008, 03:49 PM
my thoughts, even past sat, were how many deer did I just walk past dong my quiet walk. I sometimes take the dog with me now, and find that because of hers and mine scent mixed the deer seem to hang around longer to check out who we are. on sat, she made motions of animals in the area and missed out on a chance at a big buck, Four point? I was unable to identify for the fact he ran directly away from me. we were just casualy walking through the cut block at last light, when he took to the trees but he had to have watched us for some time as he was in the clearing a fair way. I agree, I would rather have them run from me then watch me walk by.

Sitkaspruce
11-16-2008, 04:02 PM
One thing to remember is that deer, elk, moose and such are not that quite in the bush. I have heard deer from 100 y away in the crusty snow, deer and elk on dry leaves and moose are just plain noisey, unless they want to be quite, then it is amazing on how an animal @ 1000 lbs with a 50" spread can simply disappear. Preditors on the other hand are super stealthy, thay sneak and are quite, for the most part. Act like them and the prey will be on full alert.

I try to vary my pace and I am always glassing around me, every opening gets a study along the timber/brush line. I have had good success with "The Can" doe bleat and E.L.K's "Deer Stopper" deer call. I use them both while walking in deep timber. Never tried the trasal gland as I always try to hunt with the wind in my face.

Cheers

SS

Orangethunder
11-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Never tried the trasal gland as I always try to hunt with the wind in my face.

Cheers

SS

They work great and the scent seems to last forever. My wife says it makes the truck stink:shock: but there are always tradeoffs...

Shooter
11-16-2008, 04:40 PM
What do you do with the tarsals? Do you just rub em on your clothes or do u tie em to ur boot?? This is a very interesting post. It seems that no matter how quiet you are the deer more times than not spot you first.

Orangethunder
11-16-2008, 04:48 PM
What do you do with the tarsals? Do you just rub em on your clothes or do u tie em to ur boot?? This is a very interesting post. It seems that no matter how quiet you are the deer more times than not spot you first.

I rub them on my boots and pants and tie one on my pack. Just wear gloves or you'll be regreting it at lunch time.

gamehunter6o
11-16-2008, 04:55 PM
I prefer the silent approach, quiet nonsratch clothing is a must and silent footware. Don't think you can walk thru the bush sounding like a deer, it's just not possible as the tempo of two large human feet is far different to the tempo of a four footed animal. The only exception being when hunting with a dog at heel. It seems to help. By going super quiet you can walk past deer asleep but that is preferable to spooking them in my book, a spooked deer is just harder to get. There's only one shot you can do on an animal running away and it's not pretty and all male deer look bigger running away. One of the biggest buzzs you can get from hunting is to be close to your quarry and they have no idea your there.
Deer can't see color but are programed to pick up movement, so don't move white hands and face around and side to side. If deer see you they don't always run away.
A deers hearing is fantastic and it works 24hrs a day and at 360 degrees but they don't always run away when they here you but they'll be looking.
A deers sense of smell is something else and must be respected at all times. Deer can smell leaves you have brushed against hours later. Try not to polute a "hot" deer area with your scent.
And always remember if a deer smells you, it's gone.