PDA

View Full Version : skin a bear

rollingrock
09-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi guys! I'm wondering what's the fastest way to skin a bear? The last time when my friend and I got a blackie close to 300 lbs, which was unexpected, it took us quite a few hours to gut it out and skin it. Both of us weren't experienced with this kinda thing. So anyone here would teach me some tricks?

black 'n blue
09-22-2005, 10:07 PM
I like to use a knife. Keep it sharp though as it will go dull quite fast on bear hide/hair.

Seriously though, practice makes perfect. Carry a decent sharpening stone. Strive to make straight cuts and follow any the skinning diagrams available on the net. It may help to carry an excato knife to aid in the finer cuts. Learn how to take the toe joints apart with a knife rather than trying to wack through leg bone.

Duner
09-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Try using a Exacto Kinfe and when the tip gets dull just break it off, I found it is the best way.

It still takes a long time no matter what.

tombstone
09-23-2005, 09:39 AM
I found the best thing to do is skin it befor you gut it, it's a lot easier if you have time, and go under the neck to the lips and ounce your past the nose just fold it back and take your time with the eye lids etc.
Gary