PDA

View Full Version : Where is a city slicker to go?

Black Bird
11-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi,

Pretty new here. I posted this morning about my first hunting experience and I really appreciate all the advice and comments - especially about the importance of using binoculars first.

The plan for dealing with a deer, should we have shot one on my first hunting trip, was to take it back to his place in N. Van and hang it in the garage (if it was cold enough). Then, the plan was for his wife to butcher the meat (which I was very keen on observing and taking part in).

However, we got skunked.

What I am wondering is if there is a place in the greater Vancouver area that will process a deer?

I am very keen on learning about the whole process and I have watched a number of videos on utube. But I have found it very difficult to find any books on deer hunting/processing in Vancouver. I have tried a number of the hunting stores in town but they do not seem to carry books on hunting (strange?).

There is a slim chance that I might head out again in the next couple of weeks but I want to be able to take the deer somewhere if I am successful.

I don't mind asking my friend from my first hunting trip if they are OK with me taking the deer back to his place (I would just offer up some of the deer and I imagine that they would be OK with that). Still, I figure that it would be good to know about all possible options. I figure that there must be others in this community who live in the city and don't have access to somewhere to hang their meat in the cold.

Cheers,
Black Bird

sparkes3
11-15-2008, 07:23 PM
start calling butcher shops till you find one that will do it for you

Spuddge
11-15-2008, 08:47 PM
There aren't any places in the vicinity of Vancouver, but out Langley way there are a couple of places.

Orangethunder
11-15-2008, 09:03 PM
I found that watching someone butcher didn't help me all that much. The first one was still a challenge but I learned alot. Now ~20 deer later I can make pretty short work of one and I get the cuts that I like.

Good Luck

Steeleco
11-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Have a read here: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26540&highlight=meat+cutter

lip_ripper00
11-15-2008, 09:59 PM
I have recently use North Surrey Quality Meats, they did a great job of processing a couple of deer for us. 5 min. from Port Mann. I would also like to learn how to butcher properly but it seem part time courses don't exist. Good luck

Dad and son
11-16-2008, 09:56 AM
I also use North Surrey Quality meats. They will be the closest for you. Contact me if you want more info over the phone.