PDA

View Full Version : new zealand?

outdooorsman
09-22-2005, 07:45 PM
heading off to new zealand in late november, just interested to hear about any hunting experiences over there. thought i read a little bit about it on here at one point, thanks again. would love to connect up with some exotic game, bars and in the bush!;)

Ken the Kanuck
09-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Send me your email and I'll pass it on to a guy who I know had a hunt in NZ, can't promise any thing but he might be able to help you out.

Ken

Marc
09-22-2005, 09:56 PM
I think Tank and his girl were over there last year wasn't he?

scoot
09-22-2005, 11:45 PM
I have friends that moved over there for 5-7 years. All they can talk about is Fishing. They live on the south Island which is colder, yes colder, and they say the fishing is awsome everywhere you go, I don't even fish that much, but I would go for it if I went!

Tank
09-23-2005, 12:13 PM
I was over there this past May and had a blast getting out and hunting with some of the locals (including TOP PREDATOR from this site). Didnt get a chance to do any fishing though. If your interested I can put you in touch with some people over there who are as fanatical about hunting as most of the people on this site!

TOP_PREDATOR
09-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Hello,how long are you going to be out here for?What do you want to hunt?Geese will in season in some parts of the south island in November,deer will not be in hard antler but can be hunted.Heaps of goats and pigs,possum,rabbits.Bringing firearms into New Zealand is very easy 243 up would a good choice.I will be able to get you some hunting out here if you are keen.Send me a PM or email jdpettley@clear.net.nz I will be in Canada next week i don't know where you live but may be able to meet up.

Ken the Kanuck
09-23-2005, 05:52 PM
I don't know if this is true but I worked in NZ in the early 70's and when I was there I was told that the deer herds on the south island had become so large that the army used helicopters and machine guns to cull them. Maybe Top_Predator can confirm or debunk this. I was probably told it sitting in a pub and the pather piss they call beer down there will make say just about any thing, I remember telling a couple of girls I loved them, but you know I really didn't ;-)

I have sent your email on and hopefully Ed will tell you about his hunting experiences down there. A couple of suggestions, bring your own beer and don't eat vegemite sandwiches.

KTK

TOP_PREDATOR
09-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Some of it is ture Ken,Don't know about the Army doing any culling!We have full time cullers yes they do shoot deer and any other animal they see from Choppers they do use semi autos M16,SLR,shotguns.The government we have for now as a plan to kill ALL introduced animals not just knock numbers back a bit kill every one of them:mad:We have no seasons/licences for big game animals you can go out and shoot as many deer/game as you want any time of year.

Ken the Kanuck
09-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Some of it is ture Ken,Don't know about the Army doing any culling!We have full time cullers yes they do shoot deer and any other animal they see from Choppers they do use semi autos M16,SLR,shotguns.The government we have for now as a plan to kill ALL introduced animals not just knock numbers back a bit kill every one of them:mad:We have no seasons/licences for big game animals you can go out and shoot as many deer/game as you want any time of year.

Are the rainbow trout native to NZ? Also they will have to kill a lot of sheep.

If I remember my history correctly the Maoris call New Zealand the ' land of the long white cloud ' because when they showed up that's what they first saw from their canoes.

The government certainly has it's hands full, maybe they should start with the politicians? I have long suggested a open season on them up here ;-)

Cheers,

Ken

TOP_PREDATOR
09-24-2005, 12:06 AM
No trout are not Native,there is talk about getting rid of them in some rivers.Some people here have a dream about taking New Zealand back to the way it was 500 years,there was nothing here just birds and a few lizards.We have too many Canadian Geese too,we cull them.I don't know alot about Moari culture,but yes New Zealand is known to them as the long white cloud.

ratherbefishin
09-24-2005, 07:16 AM
just remember they are just barely coming into spring ''down under'',and November will be the equivilent to June in the Northern Hemisphere.I have a friend there, he's into pig hunting,you run them with dogs then try to get in behind and stick them,without getting one of those razor sharp tusks into you leg.Funny, they can sell the meat in the local market too.

txoldmarine
10-01-2005, 06:34 PM
When we were there, the government was poisoning the rats because they were eating all the birds' eggs. They didn't realize what they were also killing the possums. They make some of the finest material out of a mixture of possum and lamb's wool. They use it for scarves, sweaters, gloves, etc. It is quite expensive but very nice.

Fred
10-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Hey txold, welcome to the house that Marc built! 8-) :biggrin: Fred

Ken the Kanuck
10-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Welcome Ed. Txoldmarine ( Texas Old Marine ) is the fellow I talked about in my first post on this thread I understand that he has been in touch with outdoorsman and passed on some information, thanks Ed.

Looking forward to hearing about some more hunting stories and especially would like to hear about a successful Elk hunt this year. Keep us posted and good to have you with us.

Ken