PDA

View Full Version : My first hunting trip...

Black Bird
11-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi folks,

I am brand new to hunting so I apologize ahead of time if all my (almost) mistakes and questions seem obvious.

A couple of weeks ago I went up to 3-29 to hunt for mule deer with some family friends. I have never been hunting before but it has been something I have been thinking about for quite some time. For me, I want to follow a meal from a living being to what ends up on my plate and the plates of my family and friend. I realized some time ago, that even though I like to cook and I make my meals from 'scratch', I have no real idea of meat (hunting, shooting, gutting, cleaning, butchering, etc).

The group I went up with all have hunting experience. The youngest of the group (my age - 36) had been on about a dozen previous hunting trips (deer, elk, grouse) and had shot two deer during those trips. The most experienced was about twice my age and had hunted on and off since he was a teenager.

However, nobody had been hunting in a couple of years or so and it took us a little backtracking to find our spot the first day.

We got out of the truck and tested the wind. It was coming down the hills out of the north. I was given some instruction on how to move quietly and what to look out for. We fanned out about 200m apart and started working our way north.

I couldn't believe how intense the experience was. I was using all my senses and moving very slowly. Just a few steps at a time, wait, listen, and a few more steps. After about 45min of hunting I was working my way up an abandoned logging road (I can't believe what great shape the 'abandoned' roads are in - where I come from {the coast} you leave a road alone for a year and it is gone!) when I spotted a grey shape glide across the old road about 70m in front of me. A second shape moved out onto the road, stopped, lowered its head and began to eat.

My heart immediately started to hammer in my chest. I lowered to one knee, flicked off the safety, and raised the scope to my eye. The recticle was bouncing around, pretty much to the beat of my heart, as I focused in on the vitals area behind the front quarters. Suddenly it dawned on me that I have no idea if this is a male or a female (I had a tag for a male mule deer and a whitetail deer). I looked out over the top of my scope (mistake) and the head came up at the same time the deer walked off into the woods. At the time I thought it was a buck, but now that I think about it I think all I saw were the big ears.

Eventually, I made my way back to the truck to tell my tale and there I found the rest of our party. It turns out that everyone had seen between 2-4 deer - all female. We were pretty excited as we figured it would be only a matter of time before we came across a buck as we were in the area for 3 days.

That day I would personally see 18 deer - 15 of which were does and 3 which I couldn't tell (they were facing the wrong way or jumped off into the bush before I could tell). I was still quite excited as we figured odds must be on our side.

On our way driving down out of the hills and into the sage brush I almost made my second mistake. I spotted a buck about 100m down a gully and this time I was pretty sure as I could see 2 antlers (small ones). I got out of the truck, loaded the rifle, chambered a round and took to one knee. I had a great line of sight as the deer was giving me a side shot. I raised the scope to my eye and flicked off the safety. As I looked something about this deer did not seem quite right. It was the right colour (greyish) and about the right size, but too stalky. The rump was pale in colour, but the tail to small. As I took a better look at the head I realized that the 'antlers' were about 6 - 8 inches long but curling backwards. I flicked on my safety and stood up. I was looking at a female mountain sheep.

Had anyone have told me that I would almost mistake a female mountain sheep for a young mule deer buck I would have called them crazy. Yet, I guess sometimes you can almost make what you want to see appear.

In short, during the rest of the trip I would personally see close to 40 deer over the 3 days. Not one of which could I be sure was a buck. We ended up going home empty handed but having had a very enjoyable time walking through the woods and soaking up all the nature.

I learned many things during the trip. One, which is probably obvious to all who have taken the time to read this rambling thread, is to use my binoculars instead of a scope to ID deer. I was taught that in my CORE course but at the time I guess I was just too excited. I have learned my mistake and no animal is worse for wear for it.

My question is: where were all the bucks?

We were there Oct 30, 31 and Nov 1. Was it possible that we just didn't see the bucks or might they have been somewhere else biding their time until the rut?

Again, I am brand new at this so if people don't want to answer to protect their hunting spots I understand. I will be happy to go out again (maybe this year) and wander quietly through the woods.

Cheers,
Black Bird

Steeleco
11-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Sound like your in the right area you just needed to get a little luckier!! I'm glad you saw animals, it helps keep the interest level up, but is sounds to me like you need a good set of BINOCULARS!!!! It's always better to wish what was, than regret was is!!

Good story, keep trying that area your luck will change.

And welcome to the site, lots to see and do here!!

bsa30-06
11-15-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm glad you realized what your mistakes were and are correcting them.Sounds to me that it was a very succesfull first hunt, and with a little bit of luck and persistance im sure you'll have a succesfull harvest in the near future.Good Luck.

Blainer
11-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Sound like your in the right area you just needed to get a little luckier!! I'm glad you saw animals, it helps keep the interest level up, but is sounds to me like you need a good set of BINOCULARS!!!! It's always better to wish what was, than regret was is!!

And welcome to the site, lots to see and do here!!Exactly what I was thinking.
You did'nt learn enough or the fellow hunters did'nt inform you that the most important tool is Binnoculars.
Identify before the gun comes up,not to mention with binnoculars you would have seen the buck 50 yards away in the bush looking at you.
Pay attention to where the does are looking.
The bucks were there.

Dirty
11-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Sounds like you had a good trip. Good thing you realized your mistaken identification before making a big mistake. This kind of story reminds everybody that you need to know what you are shooting at before you pull the trigger. Whether this entails using binoculars to look the animal over or waiting a little longer and risk missing out on an opportunity. I am sure an enormous amount of animals get wasted every year because they are not looked over with binoculars. Whether these are small bucks mistaken for does, moose/elk/deer with too many or not enough points for certain seasons, or small grizz mistaken for blacks. Good job and get back out there! Welcome to the site.

hunter1947
11-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi folks,

I am brand new to hunting so I apologize ahead of time if all my (almost) mistakes and questions seem obvious.

A couple of weeks ago I went up to 3-29 to hunt for mule deer with some family friends. I have never been hunting before but it has been something I have been thinking about for quite some time. For me, I want to follow a meal from a living being to what ends up on my plate and the plates of my family and friend. I realized some time ago, that even though I like to cook and I make my meals from 'scratch', I have no real idea of meat (hunting, shooting, gutting, cleaning, butchering, etc).

The group I went up with all have hunting experience. The youngest of the group (my age - 36) had been on about a dozen previous hunting trips (deer, elk, grouse) and had shot two deer during those trips. The most experienced was about twice my age and had hunted on and off since he was a teenager.

However, nobody had been hunting in a couple of years or so and it took us a little backtracking to find our spot the first day.

We got out of the truck and tested the wind. It was coming down the hills out of the north. I was given some instruction on how to move quietly and what to look out for. We fanned out about 200m apart and started working our way north.

I couldn't believe how intense the experience was. I was using all my senses and moving very slowly. Just a few steps at a time, wait, listen, and a few more steps. After about 45min of hunting I was working my way up an abandoned logging road (I can't believe what great shape the 'abandoned' roads are in - where I come from {the coast} you leave a road alone for a year and it is gone!) when I spotted a grey shape glide across the old road about 70m in front of me. A second shape moved out onto the road, stopped, lowered its head and began to eat.

My heart immediately started to hammer in my chest. I lowered to one knee, flicked off the safety, and raised the scope to my eye. The recticle was bouncing around, pretty much to the beat of my heart, as I focused in on the vitals area behind the front quarters. Suddenly it dawned on me that I have no idea if this is a male or a female (I had a tag for a male mule deer and a whitetail deer). I looked out over the top of my scope (mistake) and the head came up at the same time the deer walked off into the woods. At the time I thought it was a buck, but now that I think about it I think all I saw were the big ears.

Eventually, I made my way back to the truck to tell my tale and there I found the rest of our party. It turns out that everyone had seen between 2-4 deer - all female. We were pretty excited as we figured it would be only a matter of time before we came across a buck as we were in the area for 3 days.

That day I would personally see 18 deer - 15 of which were does and 3 which I couldn't tell (they were facing the wrong way or jumped off into the bush before I could tell). I was still quite excited as we figured odds must be on our side.

On our way driving down out of the hills and into the sage brush I almost made my second mistake. I spotted a buck about 100m down a gully and this time I was pretty sure as I could see 2 antlers (small ones). I got out of the truck, loaded the rifle, chambered a round and took to one knee. I had a great line of sight as the deer was giving me a side shot. I raised the scope to my eye and flicked off the safety. As I looked something about this deer did not seem quite right. It was the right colour (greyish) and about the right size, but too stalky. The rump was pale in colour, but the tail to small. As I took a better look at the head I realized that the 'antlers' were about 6 - 8 inches long but curling backwards. I flicked on my safety and stood up. I was looking at a female mountain sheep.

Had anyone have told me that I would almost mistake a female mountain sheep for a young mule deer buck I would have called them crazy. Yet, I guess sometimes you can almost make what you want to see appear.

In short, during the rest of the trip I would personally see close to 40 deer over the 3 days. Not one of which could I be sure was a buck. We ended up going home empty handed but having had a very enjoyable time walking through the woods and soaking up all the nature.

I learned many things during the trip. One, which is probably obvious to all who have taken the time to read this rambling thread, is to use my binoculars instead of a scope to ID deer. I was taught that in my CORE course but at the time I guess I was just too excited. I have learned my mistake and no animal is worse for wear for it.

My question is: where were all the bucks?

We were there Oct 30, 31 and Nov 1. Was it possible that we just didn't see the bucks or might they have been somewhere else biding their time until the rut?

Again, I am brand new at this so if people don't want to answer to protect their hunting spots I understand. I will be happy to go out again (maybe this year) and wander quietly through the woods.

Cheers,
Black Bird

The bucks and does where there its just that they werent moving around.

I have always had a hrd tim finding a buck in Oct ,but when the middle of Nov comes around the seam to pop out of the wood work.

Next time head back inti the same place you hunted in 3-29 next year but go in there the third week of Nov if it is open and you will see the difference.

porcupine
11-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Sounds like a good first hunt to me. Now you've started the real learning process and it's only a matter of time until you tag your first buck. One thing I would recommend to you though, is start a hunting journal. It will really help you in the future, especially remembering days and times of animal movements etc. I look forward to reading about you first buck in the future.
________
volcano digital review (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/volcano)

In4TheHunt
11-15-2008, 11:25 AM

And welcome to the site, lots to see and do here!!
x10

Being new is a good thing. It starts with a clean slate. Before you pull the trigger mistakes can be fixed, not so much after.
This site is VERY insiteful with lots of pictures so ID ing animals becomes easier. One thing I like to do Is take my 3 year old daughter to the Greater Vancouver Zoo a few times during the summer and bring my binos. To look at all the north american exibits. You can really see how the antlers on the deer/elk/cariboo/moose ect develop in velvet.
This as well keeps your eye tooned for spoting movement and what to look for when they are bedded down.

There are a number of game farms in bc there is one near Kamloops.

By next year you will be a bit calmer and get yourself a buck...good luck
Cheers

brian
11-15-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm a fairly new hunter too, so I hear where you are coming from. That first hunt is an amazing experience. Every sense long dormant comes alive and you feel a primitive connection with nature that no other activity replicates. Every hunting trip out I learn more things about hunting and about myself (Epiphanies is a good word for it). And that first hit of buck fever hits you like a sledge hammer, a full body slam of adrenaline. Never had it like that since but man that was such an intense experience. This year I got my first kill which I found was a very bitter sweet experience. But it has connected with my food in a way I have never experienced before. Every time I eat the venison from that animal I remember the kill and get a little sad and very very thankful. I hope that in my hunting life those feelings never go away. And I feel very proud to provide my family with a freezer full meat.

All those does, you were in some good area.

boxhitch
11-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Black Bird, sounds like a good hunt, and a good learning curve. You have some good instincts already , I sense.
Hunting is about more than killing.
In your case, it may have been worth while to pay more attention to the does and the surrounding area, for a longer time. The bucks should have been hanging close, but not on top of the girls yet.
Binos will help, as it is really easy to get tunnel vision through a scope.

reaper1
11-15-2008, 03:11 PM
It is nice to hear the excitment of your first hunt. Reminds me of a time I came across a cow moose calling and the heart thumping that followed.With that many does you were definately close to bucks.
Keep on hunting and welcome to the site.