PDA

View Full Version : blacktail experts

wsm
11-14-2008, 12:31 AM
i am thinking of hunting reg 2 blacktails in december. what kind of terrian do blacktails call wintering grounds? how much snow would be required to get them into their wintering area?What do i look for when looking for a place to start hunting? and what will they be eating at that time of year . thanks in advance

hunter1947
11-14-2008, 03:52 AM
Grass and willow tops.

Steeleco
11-14-2008, 06:47 AM
All I know about reg 2 is the higher the bigger!!! There's some real hogs on the tops of the hills in Harrison and Chealis, getting there is another story!!
The snow will have to be real deep to get them to move out, they are a real challenge to hunt, ask BSA 30.06!!!

bsa30-06
11-14-2008, 08:07 AM
:-Pquote=Steeleco;358647]All I know about reg 2 is the higher the bigger!!! There's some real hogs on the tops of the hills in Harrison and Chealis, getting there is another story!!
The snow will have to be real deep to get them to move out, they are a real challenge to hunt, ask BSA 30.06!!![/quote]

Yes they are, 5 years and never even seen a blacktail buck.Hard work, persistance, and determination,and a little luck are the key elements to succesfully harvesting a blacktail.I have been very fortunate to have had hbc and some very knowledgable blacktail experts to help keep me motivated over the years.You can count on steep hills and rugged terrain in any areas in the lower mainland that will hold these deer.....did i mention the STEEP HILLS.One of these days your gonna see a thread on here called "my first blacktail" with my name under it,every time out i feel im doing more and more right and its only a matter of time before the luck part falls into place.To all that are going out lookin for these critters good luck, to those of you that were sucessfull congrats( and please forward gps co-ordinates:-P)Oh in case i forgot to mention it the hills around here are STEEP.

sneg
11-14-2008, 08:43 AM
definetly bigger bucks are on higher grounds.. But in december higher elevations will be all in snow.not sure how you plan to go up there....working along streams,low grounds with good vegetation always worked for me this time of year . i got not monster ,but really nice buck on last day of season last year.

wsm
11-14-2008, 09:41 AM
:-Pquote=Steeleco;358647]All I know about reg 2 is the higher the bigger!!! There's some real hogs on the tops of the hills in Harrison and Chealis, getting there is another story!!
The snow will have to be real deep to get them to move out, they are a real challenge to hunt, ask BSA 30.06!!!

Yes they are, 5 years and never even seen a blacktail buck.Hard work, persistance, and determination,and a little luck are the key elements to succesfully harvesting a blacktail.I have been very fortunate to have had hbc and some very knowledgable blacktail experts to help keep me motivated over the years.You can count on steep hills and rugged terrain in any areas in the lower mainland that will hold these deer.....did i mention the STEEP HILLS.One of these days your gonna see a thread on here called "my first blacktail" with my name under it,every time out i feel im doing more and more right and its only a matter of time before the luck part falls into place.To all that are going out lookin for these critters good luck, to those of you that were sucessfull congrats( and please forward gps co-ordinates:-P)Oh in case i forgot to mention it the hills around here are STEEP.[/quote]
then let me tell you a story. last sunday i was out for the day in squamish. was hiking an old road that climbed fast came across five does amd a buck. they always kept me at 150yrds with the does in the way of a shot (4point) followed them for a couple hours trying to get a shot, then poof they were gone :frown:. was so steep i wasn't sure how to get back down the mountian. sure didn't look that steep going up.Go back to the truck out to the main , start driving along side the squamish river heading towards elaho. saw lots of fisherman, on one pullout just past 27mi i looked in the direction of a fisherman and saw deer on the other side of the river (raging river) three does and a buck 6x7. can shoot but no way to retrive, fisherman and i were checking them out through my binos, he says to me i'll lend you waters to cross the river . if you would like knowing full well im not going to. these happenings were by fluke, thus the questions i've asked

blacktailslayer
11-14-2008, 09:50 AM
If they are like island blacktails, they will be in the old growth timber when we have lots of snow.

humble hunter
11-14-2008, 11:28 AM
They don't have to be high, find the does and you will find the bucks. The rut has started, the snow is flying right now in the high country and the bucks are moving down. I went out with one of my twin daughters last night for a quick hunt about 5km from our house. We saw a spike and a doe, which I passed on. My 9 year old daughter went nuts wanting me to shoot it but The horns were not above the ears and I really wasn't into packing a spike 2 km back to the quad. I think it was good for her as well to see you don't need to shoot every legal thing you see. She later was just excited to tell the story to her class. Both bucks I took last year (check my gallery) were no more than 1000 feet above sea level. One was on Nov 15th and the other Nov 25. We will see if I can do it again this year but I am going to hunt every day until the end of the season.

Ddog
11-14-2008, 12:16 PM
it actually all depends on where you are going to hunt in region 2. if you are in the mountains the biggest bucks are not necessarily on the highest mountain.
at the particular time when you are going the rut is over for the BT's and the bucks will be wandering back to their homes, be it the winter grounds or otherwise. bt's are generally not a migratory deer, simply because there usually isnt enough snow to get them to move from there home ground, and if there is they simply go lower down the mountain.
what you want to look for is a real good food supply, the region 2 bt's are real fond of salal and ferns at that time of year in the mountainous regions of region 2. if you are lower down in flatter, parts grasses are a common food as well as the ferns and other small shrubs.
i once watched over a period of a year a fern patch that every time the foliage went yellow, several different animals eat them. and also had quite few eating just the ends of the greens.
i also know that by experience they seem to love cedar for some reason, especially the hedges you plant in yards, just ask any farmer in the abbotsford area that grows cedar hedging. i know a few that really love hunters asking to hunt their property, they never say no.
after years of watching and studying bt's and their habitat i am the most successful BT hunter i know of for archery. i successfully harvested a BT buck each year with a bow for 12 consecutive years, also passing on at least 30 in those years.
there is much i have learned in those years, and much i can tell you about them.
feel free to pm me if you like.
cheers.........ddog

rishu_pepper
11-14-2008, 12:19 PM
then let me tell you a story. last sunday i was out for the day in squamish. was hiking an old road that climbed fast came across five does amd a buck. they always kept me at 150yrds with the does in the way of a shot (4point) followed them for a couple hours trying to get a shot, then poof they were gone :frown:. was so steep i wasn't sure how to get back down the mountian. sure didn't look that steep going up.Go back to the truck out to the main , start driving along side the squamish river heading towards elaho. saw lots of fisherman, on one pullout just past 27mi i looked in the direction of a fisherman and saw deer on the other side of the river (raging river) three does and a buck 6x7. can shoot but no way to retrive, fisherman and i were checking them out through my binos, he says to me i'll lend you waters to cross the river . if you would like knowing full well im not going to. these happenings were by fluke, thus the questions i've asked

Should have shot it and asked for the guy's waders just to see the look on his face :biggrin: Or an alternative is to borrow his fishing rod to try and retrieve it that way; people do it for ducks, so this is bound to work, right.....? :wink:

humble hunter
11-14-2008, 04:04 PM
[qoute].Go back to the truck out to the main , start driving along side the squamish river heading towards elaho. saw lots of fisherman, on one pullout just past 27mi i looked in the direction of a fisherman and saw deer on the other side of the river (raging river) three does and a buck 6x7. can shoot but no way to retrive, fisherman and i were checking them out through my binos, he says to me i'll lend you waters to cross the river . if you would like knowing full well im not going to. these happenings were by fluke, thus the questions i've asked[/quote]

A 6 x 7 blacktail, sounds a bit fishy to me, You obviously didn't want it that badly. There is a bridge across at 24 mile you could have hiked up or down from there, borrowed a pontoon boat from someone. When there is a will there is a way. If you would have posted on the site you had it down, I would have come out and helped you get it out with the pontoon boat. It is actually a great way to hunt the squamish river area.

harder rd
11-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Yes they are, 5 years and never even seen a blacktail buck.Hard work, persistance, and determination,and a little luck are the key elements to succesfully harvesting a blacktail.I have been very fortunate to have had hbc and some very knowledgable blacktail experts to help keep me motivated over the years.You can count on steep hills and rugged terrain in any areas in the lower mainland that will hold these deer.....did i mention the STEEP HILLS.One of these days your gonna see a thread on here called "my first blacktail" with my name under it,every time out i feel im doing more and more right and its only a matter of time before the luck part falls into place.To all that are going out lookin for these critters good luck, to those of you that were sucessfull congrats( and please forward gps co-ordinates:-P)Oh in case i forgot to mention it the hills around here are STEEP.
then let me tell you a story. last sunday i was out for the day in squamish. was hiking an old road that climbed fast came across five does amd a buck. they always kept me at 150yrds with the does in the way of a shot (4point) followed them for a couple hours trying to get a shot, then poof they were gone :frown:. was so steep i wasn't sure how to get back down the mountian. sure didn't look that steep going up.Go back to the truck out to the main , start driving along side the squamish river heading towards elaho. saw lots of fisherman, on one pullout just past 27mi i looked in the direction of a fisherman and saw deer on the other side of the river (raging river) three does and a buck 6x7. can shoot but no way to retrive, fisherman and i were checking them out through my binos, he says to me i'll lend you waters to cross the river . if you would like knowing full well im not going to. these happenings were by fluke, thus the questions i've asked[/quote]
6x7 blacktail I would have crossed in my ginch @ -40.

Tikka7mm
11-14-2008, 06:44 PM
6x7 blacktail I would have crossed in my ginch @ -40.[/quote]

lol...x2!

wsm
11-14-2008, 11:07 PM
A 6 x 7 blacktail, sounds a bit fishy to me, You obviously didn't want it that badly. There is a bridge across at 24 mile you could have hiked up or down from there, borrowed a pontoon boat from someone. When there is a will there is a way. If you would have posted on the site you had it down, I would have come out and helped you get it out with the pontoon boat. It is actually a great way to hunt the squamish river area..... you live there you've seen that rivertheres no crossing it right now. bridge is at 22mi, and belive me i tried to get up to 27mi from the other side. could not find a way!.leave your number and if it happens again i will go back to town and phone you for help. i live in surrey so posting on this site from squamish is unlikely.after chasing the previous buck for a few hours, i was not very happy about letting this one walk. he was bigger than the 4pt mulie i shot 2yrs ago.i will be back up there

rock
11-14-2008, 11:39 PM
high with alder as well as mature timber is a good place to start specially in december great month to hunt.
Lloyd your time will come and yes all will fall together hope to see with a big post on hear one day.

303Fan
11-15-2008, 06:41 AM
http://www3.telus.net/huntbc/3pt3.jpgThey are out there and they don,t have to be up high this one was in the valley bottom.
http://www3.telus.net/huntbc/3pt1.jpg

wsm
11-16-2008, 07:27 PM
http://www3.telus.net/huntbc/3pt3.jpgThey are out there and they don,t have to be up high this one was in the valley bottom.
http://www3.telus.net/huntbc/3pt1.jpgnice buck, would love to get a blacktail