PDA

View Full Version : What the, BUCK?

rishu_pepper
11-13-2008, 02:02 AM
I'm not a perfect story teller like bartell :oops:, but I'll try my best and write y'all a good story from my 4-day excursion to the Cariboo.

Objective: To bag and tag a mule deer buck from Region 5

Day 1, November 9th, Sunday:

As I ponder wistfully what would likely be this season's last long hunting trip, I drive off to meet up with my hunting buddy at 5am and we head off to our destination.

Upon arrival at the cabin, we quickly pull out the quads and speed for the nearby cut block where buddy has had previous success. A slight still sit on a gorgeous afternoon, but it yields no critters. We both spot grouses but lack of shotguns and unwillingness to scare away the deer, we let them live for another day. I have ample time to snap some pictures of my boomstick:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03202.jpg

That night the weather is clear and we enjoy our dinner, then decide to hit the hay and hit the logging roads early tomorrow.

Day 2, November 10th, Monday:

Exactly one year from whence I have last shot my first buck on the Island, I figure today shall be a perfect opportunity to "celebrate" this one-year anniversary.
All day long we cruise around logging roads, walking up into several cut blocks looking to fill buddy's LEH mulie doe draw and/or any buck, but we fail to bump into any......

Oh wait, we almost "bump into one", with the truck! As we drive (on an asphalt road, private property on the sides) to another area, we witness a doe of a small variety standing on the side; it being illegal to shoot where it is, buddy drives on without much attention. As the truck becomes almost parallel in position with the doe, the idiotic deer decides to "cross the road" :shock: Buddy has to slam on the brakes forcefully to avoid "bagging a deer" but in the wrong way. We are less than 5 yards away from hitting the darn thing... Not a good sign.

Another pic of local country:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03208.jpg

Day 3, November 11th, Tuesday:

Snow begins hitting us hard on Remembrance Day. Driving on the quad with the snow hitting my face is not a particularly pleasant experience. We decide to check out more cut blocks and buddy spots two cow moose but nothing else (besides more grouse and a hare that flushes right after shooting a grouse).

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03211.jpg

As we begin to return to the cabin for lunch, we encounter a fellow hunter on the trail. A conversation reveals that he has seen 5 does at a particular area and recommends us to check it out. We follow his advice because we are running short of time and patience to fill the doe draw.

We drive into the area, which shows promising results (does appear, but in private property). As we hit crown land, we again explore several cut blocks. The cut blocks are typical mule deer terrain:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03222.jpg

But no deer...

Leaving the area, we see a dozen+ does carelessly munching on the local ranches' properties, probably making funny faces at us and deriding us with their immunity. :?

Time is running short. Our trip is supposed to be, "bag the doe on the 1st/2nd day, hunt grouse on the 3rd, leave early morning on the 4th", but the plan has been thrown into chaos with our failures.

Back at the cabin, we discuss our (change of) plans and decide to give 'er another shot tomorrow morning at the first area we visited on Sunday.

The reason being? Our cabin owner friend has heard news that a nearby neighbour has connected with a 3-pointer this morning (we must have missed seeing it! :sad:) and they let slip that they will buy another tag because they believe there are more bucks in that original cut block. This piques our interest and we must give it one more go.

Over dinner, we cook up our traditional grouse rice over the cabin's fire place:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03228.jpg

And with a heavy heart, carrying the possibility of getting skunked again and being laughed at harshly by bartell :oops:, I go to sleep, praying that I will see a buck tomorrow morning.

Day 4, November 12th, Wednesday:

We arrive at the cut block near/at first light, each settling into our spots, and agree to meet up at 9:30am regardless.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03241.jpg

A little friend of the forest decides to pay a visit:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03247.jpg

(at first it's cute to have around, but gets annoying when he keeps squeaking to give away my position...:mad:)

An hour slowly passes as the beautiful sun rises on a bright and clear blue sky. Unfortunately, a heavy fog also appears and impairs my visibility badly:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03255.jpg

I do not want to move lest I give up my position/risk scaring away critters, so I stick around waiting for the fog to lift (even taking a short nap to pass the useless time...). No dice. After a little bit more than an hour (with the fog only lightly lifting), at exactly 9am, I say to myself, "Screw this, I can't see jack in this fog, might as well go home", and call it quits.

I begin to walk downward toward the trail (bottom of the cut block) where I have parked the quad. No more than one minute has passed when I suddenly catch sight of a deer, looking straight at me at an upward direction. The wind is in my favour. I quickly scramble for the binoculars to identify it, and sure enough, it is a buck (antlered)! Buck fever sets in like an unwelcome guest and at 75 yards, I put my scope at his head-on position, only to find myself shaking like a madman. I keep telling myself, "Calm down, man!". Not confident that I can make the shot off-hand, I zoom to the nearest stump to set up the bipod and make the penultimate shot. With its head facing me, the neck shot is my best available option and I aim the 7WSM at the buck.

BOOM!

Recovering from the stout recoil, I am worried to find that I am not able to spot the deer at the spot where I have shot. I know I have made a good shot, but doubt still creeps in unwanted. I begin the journey to track and locate the animal all by myself. At the bottom of the cut block, I look left, right, and centre but cannot locate the buck. Then I look up behind me, back up the slight slope:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03261.jpg

The deer lies on the slope, twitching like it has been electrocuted, and not wanting to see it suffer, I place another round of 140gr Nosler Partition into the back of its head.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03264.jpg

The neck/spine shot, entry wound (the bullet has not been recovered):

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03268.jpg

The general area where the buck lay:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03273.jpg

Take that, bartell!! :biggrin:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03276.jpg

Another skunking amazingly turns around into a joyous success with the shot of a buck. :smile: Weighing in, this 2x1 is only 115lbs dressed out, but for me it's not about the antlers or the size of the buck. I'm happy with the meat, but moreover, I'm glad I had a great time on the trip, and to again experience the exhiliration of the hunt.

"I'd like to thank Jesus, my hunting buddy, his friends the cabin owner, manitou210 (previous owner of the 7WSM), and y'all at HBC; yes, even you, bartell :-P"

Hope y'all enjoyed this hunting story. I know I did.

fozzy
11-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks for sharing the story and photo's Rishu. :) You'll have some tender eating with that deer.
Nice looking rifle, I like the look of the barrel especially. Tell us more about it..

hunter1947
11-13-2008, 05:19 AM
RP very nice story and very nice deer you got there ,the pic are great as well ,congrats to you on getting this nice deer http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

sawmill
11-13-2008, 06:00 AM
Glad you got one,Congrats!That rifle looks like it could hunt by itself!

doubled
11-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Cool story and pics. Congrats on the non skunking.

Steeleco
11-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Wow Brain, that was a cool story, good for you on baggin a tasty one!!

5 spike
11-13-2008, 07:21 AM
great story and pics, congrats on the buck.

Fisher-Dude
11-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks Rishu for a story, and a shot, that is much better than anything Toddler has ever posted on this forum. I'm glad you've cut the apron strings and become your own man in the bush. It's paying off huge. All we need is to get you off those boots and into a truck, and you'll be a complete hunter. :smile:

Nice buck, BTW!

Edit: you hunt with Jesus? I'm impressed.

Ride
11-13-2008, 07:50 AM
Good job, persistence pays off in the end.

stanway
11-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Congrats Rishu! That deer will be delicious. Great story as well.

Big Daddy Ryan
11-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Congrats on getting the buck, great story and pics too!

Blainer
11-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Buck rice sounds fitting & tasty

jrjonesy
11-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Congrats Rishu, excellent story telling!

300H&H
11-13-2008, 09:10 AM
WHAT ? No reply from Todd Bartall ?

Congrats on your buck.

Kechika
11-13-2008, 09:17 AM

Congrats on your buck.

Lovers quarell..its complicated

rishu_pepper
11-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks everyone for the kudos.

It ain't no B&C buck, but to me it's beautiful in its way, and hey, can't go wrong with tasty venison!

Nice looking rifle, I like the look of the barrel especially. Tell us more about it..

Glad you got one,Congrats!That rifle looks like it could hunt by itself!

Thanks. It's based on a 700 action, 7mmWSM in a Hart barrel, McMillan stock, and some other goodies. The Nikon Monarch that resides on it will now return to my 25-06 and a Falcon Menace will be its new optic.

For more info on the rifle, see this thread:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=332899&postcount=27

Actually, I told Marky Mark on MSN about the buck last night, so he was the first HBC member to know about it :cool:

Thanks Rishu for a story, and a shot, that is much better than anything Toddler has ever posted on this forum. I'm glad you've cut the apron strings and become your own man in the bush. It's paying off huge. All we need is to get you off those boots and into a truck, and you'll be a complete hunter. :smile:

Nice buck, BTW!

Edit: you hunt with Jesus? I'm impressed.

FD, I did spend a lot of time on the quad/truck and my butt is still sore :razz:

Jesus rides with me, He's the man. :)

Mr. Dean
11-13-2008, 09:20 AM
No yote ying ding?

Cool on the deer though.

rocksteady
11-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Congrats on the buck...A good eater, I am sure.....

Excellent story telling too...Nothing to be ashamed of there...

Wolfman
11-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Brian, some Deeee-cent pix there man. Nice animal there too.

I really like the stock on that shootin' stick of yours - did you do the camo yourself?

Wolfman

Fisher-Dude
11-13-2008, 01:24 PM
my butt is still sore :razz:

That's odd, that's the same thing Toddler said after his hunting trip with Gatehouse, and they didn't road hunt at all. :confused::shock::confused::shock:

todbartell
11-13-2008, 01:30 PM
again with the weird fantasies....

rishu_pepper
11-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Why does every thread seem to end up with discussion on bartell and Gatehouse's "extra-curricular" activities? :razz:

Chasinracks
11-13-2008, 03:49 PM
nice pics and story rishu! hey, didn't you have a 4pt early on this season?

rishu_pepper
11-13-2008, 03:51 PM
nice pics and story rishu! hey, didn't you have a 4pt early on this season?

You must have seen into one of my dreams a few weeks ago ;) No I did not. :biggrin:

Dirty
11-13-2008, 03:53 PM
The ending would have been more climatic if Rishu was skunked again or had a near death battle with a pack of wolves. At any rate congrats on some tender vitals.

Salty
11-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Congradulations on your buck r p :-)

LeverActionJunkie
11-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Congrats Rishu you got yourself a great meat buck! I can't get enough of the little buck I shot this years so tender and flavourful, doesn't bother me at all not to have a big ol stinky buck:)

Great story and photos as well! You are probably good enough writer to write your own book:)

Wherabouts were you guys hunting?

kishman
11-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Way to go Brian, congrats. Great story/pics too, let us know how that bad-boy cooks up!

kennyj
11-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Great photos and story.Really enjoyed them.
kenny

OOBuck
11-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Way to go Brian, Pretty soon I'll have to come over there and go hunting!! :smile:

Autococker
11-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Well, its about time I came out closet......I am Rishu hunting buddy. Being hunting over 41 years. So far I might have to eat soup tags for the first time in my life:cry:.

P.S that meat buck was actually tied to tree. LOL

Steeleco
11-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Ah the truth is now revealed!!!
Welcome AC, stick around, your experience will be much appreciated.

HighCountry
11-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Congratulations RP nice buck thanks for sharing.

islandstalker
11-13-2008, 07:13 PM
good story man. lots o pics too.

moosehunter16
11-13-2008, 07:14 PM
great story. nice buck aswell

rishu_pepper
11-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Way to go Brian, Pretty soon I'll have to come over there and go hunting!! :smile:

Scotty, you and Mike are always welcome over here on the Mainland. Bigger bucks here too, but bartell would say you can't find them. :lol:

Well, its about time I came out closet......I am Rishu hunting buddy. Being hunting over 41 years. So far I might have to eat soup tags for the first time in my life:cry:.

Ah the truth is now revealed!!!
Welcome AC, stick around, your experience will be much appreciated.

David, AC lied, the buck was not tied to the tree, but maybe he had a bum leg or something 'cause he was looking at me on the spot for what seemed like an eternity :wink:

The Dawg
11-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Well, its about time I came out closet......I am Rishu hunting buddy.

So whats the REAL reason your butt is sore RP? ;)

Nice buck. Should be some good eats there!

bsa30-06
11-13-2008, 07:34 PM

no you wont have to eat tag soup, rishu will make you some coyote stir fry:-P

ps..... excellent first post you didnt mention bartells name at all.lol

Phil
11-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Nice work! I like a happy ending. Makes me hungry just looking at him and I hear antlers taste like shiit anyways.

martyonthewater
11-13-2008, 08:24 PM
great story and pics RP, thanks for sharing. welcome to the site AC, pretty BALLSY name. sorry couldn't resist

sneg
11-13-2008, 09:23 PM
great story Brian and buck is nice too.congrats

Going Hot
11-13-2008, 09:31 PM
congrats on the buck!!!

rishu_pepper
11-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Tonight's menu: deer heart with onions. Hmm-hmm tasty!!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03279.jpg

(the liver was too gamey unfortunately..)

porcupine
11-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Good story and use of pictures. Good going.
________
Honda Challenge specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Challenge)

Wolfman
11-14-2008, 12:01 AM

AC, anybody who can put up with Brian (like the rest of us here;-) ) is welcome on this site ;-)

Good to have you on board

Wolfman

hunter1947
11-14-2008, 03:59 AM
Tonight's menu: deer heart with onions. Hmm-hmm tasty!!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/rishu_pepper/DSC03279.jpg

(the liver was too gamey unfortunately..)

It sure does look good ,next time try frying the liver in beacon and put flower on the liver before putting it in the beacon fat.

Then add your onions a sort time after you have started cooking the liver.

rishu_pepper
11-14-2008, 10:26 AM
It sure does look good ,next time try frying the liver in beacon and put flower on the liver before putting it in the beacon fat.

Then add your onions a sort time after you have started cooking the liver.

Thank you for the advice there h1947. Usually mom does the cooking, so I'll let her know on the recipe.

Still have some heart left for today's lunch later ;)

todbartell
11-14-2008, 04:25 PM
tell your mom that you need some cabbage to go with your deer so you dont die of scurvy :mrgreen:

huntcoop
11-14-2008, 05:24 PM
What's with the sticks? Glad to see a fork on that there plate.

rishu_pepper
11-14-2008, 05:26 PM
tell your mom that you need some cabbage to go with your deer so you dont die of scurvy :mrgreen:

No worries, AC gave me some :smile:

What's with the sticks? Glad to see a fork on that there plate.

The "sticks" are there because Chinese eat with chopsticks..? :biggrin:

Fisher-Dude
11-14-2008, 05:37 PM
How does your mom feel about your crush on Toddy?

hlram
11-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Nice meat buck Brian, kind of shocked me when I saw the fisrt picture of the buck it looked identical to the one I got a month ago.
Howard

goatdancer
11-14-2008, 06:05 PM
That's a perfect buck. Now it'll be a lot easier finding a bigger one, not necessarily better eating though.:grin::grin:

huntcoop
11-14-2008, 08:55 PM
The "sticks" are there because Chinese eat with chopsticks..? :biggrin:

I know, I was trying to be funny, hah hah. I like to use sticks also, makes me slow down and enjoy what I'm eating instead of just hoovering it down with a sporke. :smile:

todbartell
11-14-2008, 09:26 PM
How does your mom feel about your crush on Toddy?

how does your wife feel about *your* fascination with men on the intraweb? :lol:

ElectricDyck
11-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Entertaining tale, the food looks tasty!

Will
11-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Nice Going ! :cool:

Fisher-Dude
11-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Nice Going ! :cool:

Holy $hit! Will! Welcome back buddy! :shock::shock::grin::grin:

LeverActionJunkie
11-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Hey hey Will's back!!! Whoo hoo where you been?

reaper1
11-15-2008, 07:03 AM
Great story Rishu. Country kinda looks familiar. Thanks.

In4TheHunt
11-15-2008, 11:43 AM
NIcely done.
This story will keep me interested till next season. Thanks for sharing
cheers

1/2 slam
11-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Well done. Thats going to be tasty:smile:

rishu_pepper
11-15-2008, 11:37 PM
You guys are right, this buck's a tasty one! Just got it butchered today and had ourselves a steak dinner, boy was it ever good! Tender, not gamy, what more can a guy ask for? :)

Fisher-Dude
11-15-2008, 11:46 PM
You guys are right, this buck's a tasty one! Just got it butchered today and had ourselves a steak dinner, boy was it ever good! Tender, not gamy, what more can a guy ask for? :)

Exactly why I dump a young mule deer buck every October - it's some of the best meat going!

BiG Boar
11-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Good work man! Congradulations!!!! Good to hear you got meat in the freezer again this year.

rishu_pepper
11-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Good work man! Congradulations!!!! Good to hear you got meat in the freezer again this year.

Thanks. He only went down because I was using a MAGNUM!!! :-P

*cue Magnum PI intro*