PDA

View Full Version : Poachers around the EK

sawmill
11-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Have any of you guys around here heard of a big ram getting shot by a guy working out at Fording Coal?I heard rumors about it being shot with a handgun by some guy working night shift.Also 4 mule deer carcasses were dumped on Echo Field Road on the weekend,had only the heads cut off.Guy at work was telling me about this,I just wondered if any local guys heard the stories.Could be B.S.

model88
11-12-2008, 11:12 PM
The ram story is true. It was shot on the Greenhills mine property. The story goes that a guy who works there got a couple of buddies who worked for a contractor on site to smuggle a gun onsite for him. Not sure if it was a handgun or not, but that would be the easiest to get on site.

Apparently he found the ram he wanted, pretty much walked up to it and shot it. He then realized just how big a mature ram is, so he went to the warehouse and purchased a box knife and then went back and caped it and removed the head. He then dumped the carcass over an old rock dump.

The next day some surveyors where out and noticed the blood and hair. Then they noticed ravens and found the carcass. The CO's where called in to investigate it, they found the knife, went back to the warehouse and asked if anyone had purchased one in the last 24hrs. Only one person had, so it was a pretty quick investigation.

Not sure how big the ram was, but there are some crankers on that property.

Gateholio
11-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Glad they caught him. He sounds like he has a pretty low IQ,...

Elkhound
11-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Glad they caught him. He sounds like he has a pretty low IQ,...

no kidding

sawmill
11-13-2008, 05:32 AM
Thanks 88,thats almost verbatim what I heard.

model88
11-13-2008, 09:23 AM
I actually used to work with the guy a few years ago, yeah low IQ pretty much sums it up. As much as I would like to mention his name, I wont. But those in the Valley know who this low life is.:mad:

Kody94
11-13-2008, 05:35 PM
He's now as "infamous" as Bill Cunliffe and Karl Lansing. Since he hasn't been convicted yet, I won't mention his name either.

I heard it went over 190 from a few different sources now.

Brambles
11-13-2008, 06:01 PM
I hope they throw the book at him and the guys who smuggled the gun in for him. Totally pathetic, the guy deserves an old fashioned tuneup and then many years with a cellmate named BUBBA.

Gateholio
11-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Is there any news reports?

:eek:

Gateholio
11-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Karl Lansing the wildlife sculptor? Who is Bill Cunlife?

budismyhorse
11-13-2008, 06:17 PM
fellas, there won't be news on this case for awhile. It is a done deal except for the court case and when the story actually comes out, you won't believe it.....there are several other people (mainly unwittingly) involved.

It will all come out someday....

budismyhorse
11-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Gatehouse, you don't know the story about karl lansing? you should google it , I bet it comes up.

if you want more info, PM.

Wolfman
11-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Well if he used a handgun, that alone should get him nailed good.

Wolfman

hunter1947
11-14-2008, 04:02 AM
I am glad they caught these creeps.

I hope the courts make it so they will never hunt again anywhere.
And if they did use a hand gun to shoot these animals the penalty will even add more to there crime.

bigmike
11-14-2008, 04:44 AM
x2.....I know Karl lansing was a guide before he was a sculptor.

Seeadler
11-14-2008, 12:04 PM

Bill Cunlife, a part native fellow that went to the the Salmo Feeding Station and shot a monster ram with a bow. This was early to mid 90's. Apparently he told the judge he has a cholesteral problem and sheep meat is low in cholesteral.

riflebuilder
11-14-2008, 01:50 PM
I heard the Ram scores 197, the guy was immediatley terminated from the mine. the rest of the story is as already told. Hell of a Ram to bad it was not harvested legaly

riflebuilder
11-14-2008, 01:52 PM
I know Karl and he has paid his debt and is a good guy. What he did was wrong but who has never made a mistake.

Kody94
11-14-2008, 02:49 PM
I know Karl and he has paid his debt and is a good guy. What he did was wrong but who has never made a mistake.

ditto

He is quite open about the story.

BCrams
11-14-2008, 03:04 PM
ditto

He is quite open about the story.

I'd like to know the story. Tried to google it to no avail.

budismyhorse
11-14-2008, 03:24 PM
I know Karl and he has paid his debt and is a good guy.
He has paid his debt, which is why I won't blather it online.

What he did was wrong but who has never made a mistake.Accidents happen.....and some people panic and try to hide them, however what he did was no mistake, it was calculated. I have a problem with trivializing events like that. sorry. This latest poacher won't get any slack, neither should he.

nothing personal Riflebuilder, I appreciate what you are trying to do.

BigBanger
11-14-2008, 03:47 PM
I'd like to know the story as well .

budismyhorse
11-14-2008, 03:56 PM
sorry fellas, since I don't know every detail, to me, it borders on defamation of character and I'm not getting into that on this website. You should email him and ask, or better yet, call the EK CO's, they are quite proud of that case......er, don't call them, they are likely busy putting up ROBO Muleys for tomorrow's gong show.

CT.45
11-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Employee of Greenhills. Hand gun in lunchbox. Cleaning staff involved. 45 gallon drum used for transport. Working for P&H now.

11-14-2008, 08:34 PM

True, and that happened many years ago when Karl was young and impulsive. Since then Karl has become an avid conservationist donating sculptures each year to the WSSOBC fundraiser, also served on the board of the WSSOBC for some time and was very open and provided full disclosure to the entire AGM attendence about that incident when he was voted to that board.

riflebuilder
11-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Youth and Wisdom? They never seem to go together. When I was 17 I shot at a mulie buck in some brush and killed it and a Doe. I paniced and tryed to hide the doe and got busted because I didn't turn it in. I had to surrender the meat (2 deboned deer as it was mixed in with the buck) I didn't do what was right and report the kill. Yes it is not quite the same as shooting a sheep 100 yds the wrong side of a line. Hell if a full curl ram was standing just that close to where he could be harvested and you were 20 and all alone who wouldn't of thought of shooting it. Now you might or might not have. I have been tempted to roll a monster whitetail that was 10 feet from me as I was waiting for it to jump the fence from posted land but I didn't. Now let me tell you a 190 plus Whitetail that close and yet so far was exciting. At time I regret not sticking it with an arrow but I am glad I didn't. I know a lot of guys who are good people that have done something in their lives that they are not proud of, msybe you drive after having to many beers. If you have paid your Debt and have become a upstanding personal supporter of our sport and do your best to help others I say it is time to forgive and forget. I count Karl a personal friend and do not think that something done over 20 years ago even if wrong should be lumped into this discusion of a ram being shot just for the cape and horns. Just my two cents

GoatGuy
11-15-2008, 08:32 AM
The ram story is true. It was shot on the Greenhills mine property. The story goes that a guy who works there got a couple of buddies who worked for a contractor on site to smuggle a gun onsite for him. Not sure if it was a handgun or not, but that would be the easiest to get on site.

Apparently he found the ram he wanted, pretty much walked up to it and shot it. He then realized just how big a mature ram is, so he went to the warehouse and purchased a box knife and then went back and caped it and removed the head. He then dumped the carcass over an old rock dump.

The next day some surveyors where out and noticed the blood and hair. Then they noticed ravens and found the carcass. The CO's where called in to investigate it, they found the knife, went back to the warehouse and asked if anyone had purchased one in the last 24hrs. Only one person had, so it was a pretty quick investigation.

Not sure how big the ram was, but there are some crankers on that property.

Was wondering when this was gonna hit the interacket.

That's close to what happened.

There was just another guy busted as well.

6616 should be happy.

budismyhorse
11-16-2008, 03:10 PM
I count Karl a personal friend and do not think that something done over 20 years ago even if wrong should be lumped into this discusion of a ram being shot just for the cape and horns. Just my two cents

I fail to see your logic, they both knew exactly what they were doing, and their interest was in the cape/horns and eventual trophy. They are one and the same.

my $0.25

But like you and Andy are saying, he has moved on and his service is benefiting wildlife, which is complimentary to him and his character.

But when people in this area think of legendary Elk Valley sheep poachers, he'll be on the list, sorry. Just being straight forward with you.

budismyhorse
08-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Update for those that are interested. It took awhile, but it looks like the CO's have pressed charges!

http://www.thefreepress.ca/Pages/Archive/August6/Aug062009.htm

Devilbear
08-17-2009, 03:45 PM
I place poachers and others who pollute or damage the biosphere on the lowest level of human scum, along with child molesters, rapists, pimps, drug dealers and those who abuse animals...in short, I hate them and would cheerfully " go tactical" on one, if I witnessed the offence.

I am a pretty forgiving guy, but, not where environmental issues are concerned and I would NEVER associate with or trust a poacher. There is, IMHO, far too much "moral relativism" in contemporary Canadian society; to me, some things are SO wrong, that they are beyond what I can ever forgive.

Poachers should be executed, IMO.

behemoth
08-17-2009, 04:06 PM
"knowingly making a false statement in order to obtain a sheep licence "

I wonder what that charge is all about

Jeffb
08-17-2009, 04:56 PM
It bothers me that he is refered to as a Hunter in the story. More like Poacher

g_worsnop
08-17-2009, 05:06 PM
that makes me sick

buckguy
08-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Some Beach!! Hopefully they throw the book at him. Probally won't but here is to hoping they do. Knowing full well what he was doing was illegal, thats a poacher. definately not a hunter. Hate being painted with the same brush. :mad:

eastkoot
08-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Ya know what, f**k Karl.. I don't give a shit whether he paid his debt, was young and impulsive or not.. Killing a ram on mine property with a bow then transporting the whole thing east of the weighscales and gutting it, claiming that's where he killed it, give me a break. If you went and killed a big a ram on a no tresspassing closed mining area, does "paying your debt ", and being young and impulsive make it OK??. And taking the full ram and spreading the guts on the hillside east of the weighscales is ok because he was young and impulsive ?? A true and true poacher in my books, much like Cu*
***fe only there is no native ties, only glory and greed.. Good thing he and his buddies couldn't keep their mouths shut!!! He ranks right up there with Cu***fe..No better than the guys that shot the ducks in Sask!!! PS, he's not a conservationist, he's a friggin logger turned taxidermist and sculptor ..Give your head a shake!!!! And that's all I have to say about that!!

Devilbear
08-17-2009, 06:47 PM
I had an interesting conversation with a former guide whom I have known slightly for some years, just before the last WSSOBC buntoss.

I told him how shocked I was to see the notorious American poacher and "sheep expert" Bryan Martin being a guest speaker at this function; his comment was merely that ALL "outfitters do stuff like that".

Now, I like and respect this guy and I KNOW from experience about GOs, BUT, WHY, WHY, WHY would the society that advertises a being about sheep conservation in B.C. EVER have a _____ like Bryan Martin as even a guest at such a function...and the donations by this guy strike me as much the same thing.

Well, getting old, kinda strict about ethics and poachers just make me want to hurl, even if they are talented artists or FAMOUS guides and "exspurts"........

budismyhorse
08-18-2009, 03:29 PM
"knowingly making a false statement in order to obtain a sheep licence "

I wonder what that charge is all about

Apparently, he convinced an employee at a gas station to back-date the sheep tag he purchased....after he killed it. *RUMOUR*

walks with deer
04-28-2020, 12:51 AM
wow a oldy but goodie..any more on this

Bigdoggdon
04-28-2020, 12:19 PM
One of the most hilarious examples of poaching by a guide outfitter that I am aware of was A VIDEO YOU COULD BUY showing a client shooting the at the time world record pope and young black bear using a poached cow moose for bait in northern BC.

Ron.C
04-28-2020, 12:26 PM
a bit of a hijack, but thanks for resurecting one of SAWMILL's threads!!!!!!! I always enjoyed his contribution to HBC.

I'm sure he would be happy to know people are still concerned "and pissed off" about poaching.

Bugle M In
04-28-2020, 01:16 PM
Talk about pulling an "old thread" out of the woodwork.:p

You know, i am seen a few things over the years that makes me wonder how many "workers" in an area, say a mine or an area closed to vehicles for
the purpose of hunting, shoot big game, while working, and are hunting were they are not legally supposed to be!???

I have a feeling there is a bit of this going on for sure, and it doesnt take much, considering how fragile our wildlife populations are these days,
to really upset an area, depending on species taken.