PDA

View Full Version : Need help to get my first Muley

garychau
11-12-2008, 12:35 PM
I need help to get my first Muley. This is my 4th year hunting and so far my Ruger M77 30-06 has not seen blood yet. Every year I usually do two 3 day hunts in the princeton area. Usually once during the any buck season and once during the 4pt season. I really thought this year was the year to bag one but again i think that every year. Just came back from a day hunt in the chilliwack lake area and seen nothing at all. I am getting desperate and thats why i'm calling out for help. Been reading LOTS of posts on this forum for tips but still haven't gotten me anywhere. Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction. I'm looking to do some more day hunts, anywhere within 1.5hr of driving from surrey. Can't do any more 3 day hunt this year. So if anyone would like to point me in the right direction to get my first buck it would be greatly appreciated. My freezer is empty and in desperate need of putting some meat in it......

thanks

Steeleco
11-12-2008, 01:01 PM
You'll likely have read all the other similar posts, as you've been around for a year. But as with all advice re-hunting. The best way to learn is to spend time in the field. A few days a year may get you a critter, but not always.
Take the time at home and research an area you happen to like. Look it up on Google Earth. Go there and walk it. Learn it the best you can.

I've hunted a certain spot for a few years now. On two trips this year you'd think an animal never set foot there, on the other we got 2 bears same day.

We could give you a GPS fix on where to sit, but you might just be sat there a week!!!

BTW, Welcome.

johnk
11-12-2008, 01:17 PM
You'll likely have read all the other similar posts, as you've been around for a year. But as with all advice re-hunting. The best way to learn is to spend time in the field. A few days a year may get you a critter, but not always.
Take the time at home and research an area you happen to like. Look it up on Google Earth. Go there and walk it. Learn it the best you can.

I've hunted a certain spot for a few years now. On two trips this year you'd think an animal never set foot there, on the other we got 2 bears same day.

We could give you a GPS fix on where to sit, but you might just be sat there a week!!!

BTW, Welcome.

Steeleco makes so excellent points in his post. You really have to pick one or two small areas and work those areas until you know every draw, stump and puddle in there. There are never guarantees that even once you've achieved that you'll find regular success but on one magic day....

One of my favourite hotspots in Region 3 which I've hunted for six years is such a place. Three years ago the bucks were gone Oct.26th and last year I was playing hide and seek with a huge buck right up to Dec.10th but never connected because my brain is too small for that wily old bugger!

Put in the time and research and find a spot that doesn't get much pressure thus making the muleys less spooky and concentrate on that one spot. You'll do much better than trying a dozen spots throughout the season.

If I was in Surrey (bad nightmare) I would leave at 4am and be in Merritt by 7am and hunt all day and be home before midnight.

It doesn't really matter where you go in the end, just as long as you go!

todbartell
11-12-2008, 01:37 PM
if you're seriously hard up for meat you should buy a side of beef. Ive spent the same amount of $ on fuel in the past 3 months going hunting as it would cost to buy a side of beef (which I did anyways!) and all I got to show for it is some deer jerky and 2 grouse dinners. :lol: but its been fun

good luck on your quest for your first mule deer

doubled
11-12-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't think any of us do it exclusively for the meat. It would end up costing over $50.00/lb pound for some of us.

Mr. Dean
11-12-2008, 01:50 PM
....For what I spent this year, I coulda bought a small farm.

When the bills roll in, Mrs. Dean is goin to give me a spanking - Most likely AFTER she knocks me out w/ a rollin' pin. :cry:

twoSevenO
11-12-2008, 01:53 PM
I can understand the meat-quest of some experienced hunters who know what they are doing, need a buck in freezer but somehow aren't connecting this particular year. But i really don't get where the newbie hunters are coming from saying "i need meat in the freezer". Well, if you are so desperate for meat, go buy some. Chances are it will come out much cheaper.

As a newbie hunter my main goal with any area i visit or any post i read on here is compare to my own prior experiences and just look for patterns of what others have done that i did wrong. Or perhaps somethign i didn't even do and should have.

walking in the bush with gun in hand -> great time!
seeing critters -> adds excitement to great time
shooting buck -> added bonus to all of the above :)

sneg
11-12-2008, 03:24 PM
shooting buck -> added bonus to all of the above :smile:

x 2 on that

Rob
11-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Point you in the right direction? This is your first post. Usually you need to have 100 posts before folks will give up their spots:razz:. All kidding aside, like others have said, find a spot and hit it hard.Watch in the am, hike around for a few hours, watch in the pm. the rut is on so anything goes. Rob P.S My wife is going on her 5th year with no deer.(She`s just a little cranky:shock:) Rob

mijinkal
11-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Introduce yourself. Make a few posts and people will start sharing their spots. I've done many day trips to Boston bar and Merrit. They're long days but who said it would be easy?
As said before, pick up a backroad mapbook and start exploring.

moosinaround
11-12-2008, 05:12 PM
I need help to get my first Muley. This is my 4th year hunting and so far my Ruger M77 30-06 has not seen blood yet. Every year I usually do two 3 day hunts in the princeton area. Usually once during the any buck season and once during the 4pt season. I really thought this year was the year to bag one but again i think that every year. Just came back from a day hunt in the chilliwack lake area and seen nothing at all. I am getting desperate and thats why i'm calling out for help. Been reading LOTS of posts on this forum for tips but still haven't gotten me anywhere. Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction. I'm looking to do some more day hunts, anywhere within 1.5hr of driving from surrey. Can't do any more 3 day hunt this year. So if anyone would like to point me in the right direction to get my first buck it would be greatly appreciated. My freezer is empty and in desperate need of putting some meat in it......

thanks
Dude......I have about 30 days in the bush this hunting season. About half which I usually hunt. Only 1 small 2 pointer to show for it. If you are hunting solely for the meat, then you better start raising cattle, its cheaper!(Well probably not cheaper, but I think you get the point). Last year I had 60+ days in the field and had a healthy freezer full of game. Time equals oppourtunity. Get out there and pound the ground, it will happen. If not PM Dana, he is always generous with directions to the hogs in clearwater. Usually easy finds too! Moosin

Caveman
11-12-2008, 06:51 PM
shooting buck -> added bonus to all of the above :smile:

Realizing you just shot the deer of your dreams............PRICELESS!!!

bsa30-06
11-12-2008, 07:20 PM
if you're seriously hard up for meat you should buy a side of beef. Ive spent the same amount of $ on fuel in the past 3 months going hunting as it would cost to buy a side of beef (which I did anyways!) and all I got to show for it is some deer jerky and 2 grouse dinners. :lol: but its been fun

bartells right, i dont think hunting will ever be an economical,money saving method for getting meat, but its sure fun.I know how you feel, believe me i know, but im not gonna let it stop me from getting out there and enjoying my time in the field.Still lots of time left in the season, good luck.

BearSniper
11-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Gary Chau

I've been out lots, haven't shot a muley yet- my boys have only because I wanted them to get the shot.

I've hit lots of Bears, Bobcats, and a few Coyotes, and still enjoy the challenge.

But remember, any day in the bush is a good day and better than a day at the office or factory. Have fun out there, and sooner or later you'll pick up signs and smells and you'll hit a buck.:D

I'm going out tomorrow at 0315 a.m. and heading to region 3. Don't know if I'll see anything, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless. Will likely come home empty, but I'll be happy and full of fresh air. Because the next day something totally awfull happens: I have to go back to work:cool:

Th0r
11-12-2008, 07:40 PM
I agree wth all of the above. I am in my 5th year with nada but if you count the days I put in over those 5 yrs it is no surprise. The advice of finding an area with somekind of deer sign and learning it really well will certainly increase your odds IMHO. Its just great to get out there!

blomgren
11-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Kamloops is your best bet to get a 4point mullie I have got a 4point there 4 the last 5 years in a row only on weekend hunts . The rut will be on now . Will be heading there this Sunday for a 2 days .

sneg
11-12-2008, 08:01 PM
blomgren, agree Kamloops are better,but still LM is good place,any buck.

somebody says if you want to make man a poor give him a gun to hunt...
guess there is some truth in it.hunting is expensive sport

todbartell
11-12-2008, 08:12 PM
bartells right, i dont think hunting will ever be an economical,money saving method for getting meat

only way it is, is if you whack a moose or whatever on your back 40, cut it up yourself..........otherwise its just expensive (but fun & rewarding) experiences to the 'grocery store'

NoLimit99
11-12-2008, 11:48 PM
I love all the posts and they are exactly all correct, I my self am a newbi, this year being my first year hunting period and already In the last 5 months I have spent a ton in fuel and alot of weeks in the bush. I have had the joy of seeing the sights and signs of animals but still haven't connected with a buck yet. I put a stock on a huge doe though for sh*t's and giggles and I got about 20yards of a total kill shot if I was able to take it, but that was my high light of the year so far. Point is I enjoyed it very much but I sure hate how much hiking is involved but none the less it's all enjoyable and what better way to spend my days/time then to be out seeing the sights and sounds. I've also spent hours looking at topo maps and google earth so time is needed.

Luck and alot of time in the bush will give you your reward.

P.s, Got my first goose and some ducks though this year try that it's alot of fun.

hunter1947
11-13-2008, 05:33 AM
Her is where we used to get some wall hangers I don't hunt there anymore so I don't mid giving you the directions to get there .

I will send a private message in a few hours to you ,good luck on whatever path you choose to take.

goatdancer
11-13-2008, 04:15 PM

I didn't know there was a season for deer jerky:eek::eek:. Antlered, antlerless, size restriction - come on man let us in on the secret......:lol::lol:

goatdancer
11-13-2008, 04:19 PM
....For what I spent this year, I coulda bought a small farm.

When the bills roll in, Mrs. Dean is goin to give me a spanking - Most likely AFTER she knocks me out w/ a rollin' pin. :cry:

Maybe you'll like the spanking...:oops::oops:

Chasinracks
11-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I can understand the meat-quest of some experienced hunters who know what they are doing, need a buck in freezer but somehow aren't connecting this particular year. But i really don't get where the newbie hunters are coming from saying "i need meat in the freezer". Well, if you are so desperate for meat, go buy some. Chances are it will come out much cheaper.

As a newbie hunter my main goal with any area i visit or any post i read on here is compare to my own prior experiences and just look for patterns of what others have done that i did wrong. Or perhaps somethign i didn't even do and should have.

shooting buck -> added bonus to all of the above :)

i agree 100% and may i add, looking on google earth to find a good spot can also add excitement. i don't know, maybe its just me

elktracker1975
11-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Where in Princeton did you hunt?

la river
11-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Mr. Dean you just do lots of hunting so you can get that spanking from your wife!!

garychau
11-14-2008, 02:27 PM
wow lots of response already....thanks everyone for pointers and advices....

just to clear things up....i might've sounded like i was wanting a buck solely for the purpose of the meat....dont get me wrong i love the whole hunting part of it and getting out in the bush and enjoy nature....i guess i'm just really wanting to get my first.....

thanks again everyone for the advices....i will continue to hit the bush hard and i'll let you guys when I do get my first....

ps: love reading the stories you guys post about your hunts....

garychau
11-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Where in Princeton did you hunt?

China Creek and Snow Patch....those are the main 2 areas that I go to every year....see lots of does but never seen any bucks (except the bucks in the back of other ppls truck).....

Also driven through whipsaw, copper mt, and tulameen.....

Also been to Boston Bar (didnt' like the terrain there) and Merritt.....

Mr. Dean
11-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Keep wachin' the doe's.

Chasinracks
11-14-2008, 02:55 PM
hey gary, go back to where you saw a lot of does, be on the spot while it's still dark and stay there until at least 11am some antlered ones might just show up! good luck!

DGuest
11-17-2008, 05:35 PM
It's funny some of you have mentioned getting excited about Google Earth... When I have had enough of work, I look at google earth for a break. I have this thing about staring at topos and google earth during the week, gets me pumped to hit the woods for the weekend. Google Earth is just a great tool for anything outdoors! I also have backroad map books which are great.

rishu_pepper
11-17-2008, 05:54 PM
With the toll now gone, there are tons of places to explore on the Coq., take advantage of that for day hunts. As for overnighters, Region 5 is Any Buck right now (only till the 20th!) and there are tons of potential there. That's where I got mine last Wednesday.

P.S. Judging by your last name, glad to see another Chinese guy around here :)

bearass
11-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Scouting in june ,july, august is also another good way to get your buck.

garychau
11-19-2008, 10:50 AM
With the toll now gone, there are tons of places to explore on the Coq., take advantage of that for day hunts. As for overnighters, Region 5 is Any Buck right now (only till the 20th!) and there are tons of potential there. That's where I got mine last Wednesday.

P.S. Judging by your last name, glad to see another Chinese guy around here :)

i saw your pictures you posted of your hunt...congrats..

yea i dont know of many chinese hunters....+1

rishu_pepper
11-19-2008, 11:09 AM
i saw your pictures you posted of your hunt...congrats..

yea i dont know of many chinese hunters....+1

Thanks.

I do know of a handful of Chinese hunters personally, but definitely a small minority for sure. Many Chinese are "city slickers" who are not in tune with nature. It's really too bad, but can't blame 'em, many of them (including) coming from big cities and all the "wildlife" they've seen are in zoos... :redface:

Now go and bag some game! :biggrin: