PDA

View Full Version : Question for you sheep hunters

Krico
09-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Wondering who has experience with fly in trips-I'd be willing to spend the extra $ if I was convinced my chances would be greatly improved due to limited access to the area-but I've also been told you will likely see just as many sheep and less hunters if you spend the time to hike in somewhere tough, as it takes a lot more effort than hiring a plane to drop you off. My only experience was a DIY backpack hunt.

BCrams
09-21-2005, 10:54 AM
You're just as likely to find crowds, few sheep and having to beat guides off with a stick on fly in hunts. The trick is to do research which is just about a full time job studying maps when you are not working.

You can also go into an area with lots of sheep but extremely hard to find legal rams.

I just pick a spot after researching and go in with the mindset that I am going to have a good time, hunt hard and if in the process I find a good ram....that it will be a bonus.

Krico
09-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Thanks BCrams. That's the approach I took the first time, and probably will the next time too. What are the things you look for most when researching where to hunt? And what's the best way to find legitimate info? I am more than willing to spend the time researching in the off season to improve my chances when the season opens. I do agree that taking an animal is a bonus, I just love to get out there...