PDA

View Full Version : another lesson learned: NEVER tell your friends anything!

humble hunter
11-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Went up to the southern ok for the last 5 days of the muley season. Had to go alone as my usual partner had to work. Day one I drive into our favourite area and stop to go for a walk. I got about 40 feet from the truck and there is a noice 4 point with 3 does, I decide that it is not what I was looking for and hunt on. Nothing but does and small bucks for the rest of the day. Day 2 drive back into the same area park to go for a walk and I am not sure what I was thinking but I decide to glass the bowl before I walk, I walk down about 20 feet from the truck with my gun still in it and there to my left at about 150 yards is a 170 class buck, he spots me and starts to do the big buck trot. I run back to the truck get the gun and and completely come unglued. I totally rushed the shot with the worst case of buck fever I can ever remember. He started running up the hill and instead of getting back in the truck to cut him off I am marking the spot I shot from. I then go and check for blood and find his tracks in the snow perfectly clean. I cannot believe what an idiot I am. I think to myself I will keep coming back untill I catch him again. I then call my buddy in penticton to tell him what happened, he says he is going out in the morning and he will hunt near where I am and then we will meet up. Next morning I leave and head in again but the fog is brutal, 50 feet visibility. I think to myself he will probably come in here and the fog will blow off and he will shoot it as we have had a bit of a rivalry for the last 20 years. I drive up to the end of the road and turn around to head back as there is no chance of walking in this dense fog and hear a shot. My heart sinks, sure enough I drive down and there he is grinning from ear to ear. Boy was I pissed off, I helped him drag it to his truck biting my lip all the way. I thought to myself after how stupid I was to tell him anything untill it was in my truck. A hard lesson learned again. Here is the buck http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc96/traviskubin/colinsbuck003.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc96/traviskubin/colinsbuck004.jpg
Day 4 would be another tough day. I go out for a really harsh hike into the shale cliffs around hedly that always has bucks in it. I spot a monster of a buck about 600 yards away. I close the distance to about 300 yards and glass him again. About the same width as the one Brambles posted recently. He is broadside but I talk myself out of taking the shot after my performance from the previous day. I decide to wait him out and hope he feeds toward me as the wind is perfect. I count 8 does and really large 2 point with him. I am watching him and he decides to lay down. It has now been 2 1/2 hours of him having a nice nap. He finally gets up and starts to feed away from me, now I have no shot. I literally crawl across the shale to where he disapeared over the ridge. I get to the where he was last seen and look up and of course there is a doe looking intently at me. She starts to stamp her foot and I know this is it, She takes off and so does all the rest of the deer. I finally spot him going up the next ridge at 300 yards again. He stops broadside and I squeeze off a shot. I don't know if I hit him or not as there were deer running everywhere and I could not find him in my scope again. I go over to where I think I shot him at but it is very difficult to find his tracks in the shale as there was alot of deer taking off at once. It is starting to get dark and I decide I better come back in the morning. My buddy that scooped me calls me and tells me he will come with me to help out the next day as he apparently "feels bad". We go back in there and there are bucks everywhere but not the big one. Every other deer is there as well as 3 more bucks I had not seen the previous day. I was hoping to at least see him to give me some peace but of course no dice. It is now closed and I had to go home for a family obligation but I think I am going to drive back tommorow to see if I can spot any crows or him. I am hoping to see him and get some pics for next year.

twoSevenO
11-11-2008, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't tell a bum with a ponytail like that which bush to piss in, let alone where a buck like that is moving around LOL.

Dude, this will just add up to your karma points count. You will cash those in on a buck that will put this one to shame, i have no doubt :)

mcrae
11-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Well I am not sure what you guys had in the way of "agreement" in regards to hunting spots and critters. I have a couple of hunting buddies that are much better deer hunters than me and they know some good spots and have seen some big bucks! They tell me about area's and bucks because I DON'T hunt in their spots or go after big bucks they have scouted. I have a few "ex-hunting buddies" that I told some info about areas I was hunting and deer/elk I was seeing only to find them racing in before me the very next day. Not much you can do about it other than have a laugh about it...

I wouldn't dwell on it too much just be happy for your "friend". Tell him he owes you one!

Blainer
11-11-2008, 07:06 PM
That is a bloody shame,but sometimes those are the cards we are dealt.
I tried to p.m. you the location I was at,as it was reasonably close.
We had to deal with unbelievable fog and more hunting pressure than I have ever seen.
We went left when a couple old timers went right and shot a big 4x5 off the edge of the road.
A little luck never hurts.

Jelvis
11-11-2008, 07:38 PM
twoSeven0----that was hilarious I'm still lmao even tho I know your jokin that was funny lol.
Jel

todbartell
11-11-2008, 07:43 PM
hahaah..his hair is so cool

rocksteady
11-11-2008, 07:54 PM
I have been burned by some former hunting friends going into areas that I hold as favorites, so they are no longer hunting friends......Greed tends to take over with some people....

Jelvis
11-11-2008, 07:55 PM
twoSeven0---If you take a close look at that happy hunter you'll notice he ain't exactly a small dude. Hey he got it anyways fog or not--but hey that was absolutely hillarious I can't stop smiling ear to ear. lol
Jel--lmao

humble hunter
11-11-2008, 08:16 PM
[quote=twoSevenO;357042]I wouldn't tell a bum with a ponytail like that which bush to piss in, let alone where a buck like that is moving around LOL.

You are my new best friend!!

scallywag
11-11-2008, 08:21 PM
hey atleast i am not the only one who has missed twice this year by getting caught up in all the excitment..

boxhitch
11-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Like was said, h h, karma will come your way. Two rushed shots trying to make a bad op into a good one and two misses, your luck has to change.

tracker
11-11-2008, 08:35 PM
That probally the biggest buck that "long hair" has ever shot ,I suppose he wants to get a mount out of your buck too :mad::mad:

WoodOx
11-11-2008, 08:43 PM
I know this situation intimately. I shared a spot with some friends and although they dont go in and get big deer they go in and have shot a ton of young deer, depleting future pops. bugs me, ive let them know it, so I just know that I wont ever share a spot with them again.

humble hunter
11-11-2008, 08:50 PM
He has actually got some nice mounts on his wall. The point really is if I would not have blown my first shot and then yapped about it, that buck would be going on my wall. Keep the hair things coming though, he does not know how to use a computer so he won't see it.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-11-2008, 09:33 PM
He has actually got some nice mounts on his wall. The point really is if I would not have blown my first shot and then yapped about it, that buck would be going on my wall. Keep the hair things coming though, he does not know how to use a computer so he won't see it.

Did the hair come with the hat??:-P

SSS

Jelvis
11-11-2008, 09:47 PM
With hair like that he probably gets to date some of the ladies too---He's the kinda guy that would save your life today and go out with your girlfriend tonight. lol
Tell em I'm just jokin tho---
Jel-lol-he burnt ya good
Were you takin his picture cuz he looks like he's laughin at you to boot. Sorry it happened like that.

mrdoog
11-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Congrats to Samson, that is a nice buck.

Blainer
11-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Hard to compete with Jesus.
Nice buck.
Time for another glass of holy water.

husky30-06
11-11-2008, 10:25 PM
that sucks man, we have had a few junior hunters turn avid hunters in our areas we showed them. But like said yours will come, those big guys have big offspring, our area has shown that. I have managed four good sized four points in the past years all form the same gene pool. Your big one will be bigger, just keep at it. good luck!!!!!

ElkMasterC
11-11-2008, 10:27 PM
......why did I have to work.....life is unkind, sometimes. :x

Ah well, we'll get us both bigger ones next week.

Right?

Damn right.

porcupine
11-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Experience is what we get when we don't get what we want.
________
Mercedes-Benz W126 history (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W126)

Fisher-Dude
11-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't tell a bum with a ponytail like that which bush to piss in, let alone where a buck like that is moving around LOL.

That's pretty funny! LOL!

Don't worry HH, that buck isn't a 170 class, he'll go in the 150s maybe. Hope that helps ya feel better about it all. ;-)

twoSevenO
11-12-2008, 12:01 AM
twoSeven0---If you take a close look at that happy hunter you'll notice he ain't exactly a small dude. Hey he got it anyways fog or not--but hey that was absolutely hillarious I can't stop smiling ear to ear. lol
Jel--lmao

lol ... well jellybean don't you know everyone on the internet is 6'6" and 250lbs, therefore i am too ... so i can take him :biggrin:

3kills
11-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Keep the hair things coming though, he does not know how to use a computer so he won't see it.

really with hair like that u would think he was a computer pro :roll:

maybe if u cut his hair off he will loose his hunting ability like sampson lost his strength LOL

3kills
11-12-2008, 12:08 AM
That's pretty funny! LOL!

Don't worry HH, that buck isn't a 170 class, he'll go in the 150s maybe. Hope that helps ya feel better about it all. ;-)

ya i dont think he is a 170 class either...i say low 150's

twoSevenO
11-12-2008, 12:42 AM

maybe if u cut his hair off he will loose his hunting ability like sampson lost his strength LOL

or lose temporary hearing, so HH can vent about the buck that got away, and dog-the-bounty-hunter over here wouldn't have a clue :biggrin:

Krico
11-12-2008, 01:05 AM
I am in agreement that the ponytail is gay, and likely accompanied by a gold chain and the occasional silk shirt, but...

If this guy has been competing with you for years what on earth did you call him for???

If my buddy shot a deer I had missed the day before I'd likely be a little jealous, but also happy for his success. Our rule is "see it shoot it," so long as it's one you're happy cancelling your tag on. Take the opportunities that you are given!

sawmill
11-12-2008, 06:24 AM
I don`t tell any one anything ever.

doubled
11-12-2008, 06:49 AM
If I was worried about what others might do if I told them a spot then I would keep my mouth shut. Good for him getting it. I WOULD HAVE told a FEW buddies and then we ALL would go out the next day to try to get him. Just because you see him one day definitely does not guarantee that you will see him again. Suck it up princess, be happy for your buddy. It is not the end of the world.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-12-2008, 07:09 AM
A good friend is harder to find than a good buck.

I would suggest that you could improve.... in both departments:-|.

SSS

boxhitch
11-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Always amazed at the power of perception that shows up.

That probally the biggest buck that "long hair" has ever shot

With hair like that he probably gets to date some of the ladies too---He's the kinda guy that would save your life today and go out with your girlfriend tonight.

the ponytail is gay, and likely accompanied by a gold chain and the occasional silk shirt

boxhitch
11-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Followed by the power of possession

my area

my buck

humble hunter
11-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Boys, I am not really mad at him. I am laughing about it now. Friends have rivalries. It is now up to me to one up him. Anyone could have driven in there and shot that buck. Unfortunately I am good friends with him and will have to take the razzing. The buck taped out at 165 1/8th.

3kills
11-12-2008, 08:48 AM
how wide was he HH

humble hunter
11-12-2008, 08:51 AM
I think it was between 23 and 24

tracker
11-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Don't worry humble hunter we are also laughing ,how can you get mad at a guy that looks like that anyway's .. :shock::smile::smile:

newhunterette
11-12-2008, 02:02 PM
even Billy Ray Cirus cut off his mullet - OMG the man needs a make over

humble hunter
11-12-2008, 03:41 PM
even Billy Ray Cirus cut off his mullet - OMG the man needs a make over

Thats it, I am driving back to penticton with my laptop tonight to show him this thread and the last post, I will never hear of this buck again. I can't stop laughing.:smile::smile::smile:

Tarp Man
11-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah, good friends are hard to come by. Good hunting friends are even harder, cause you play for keeps with hunting. There is only one guy I would trust with spots, and you can bet your a$$ I wouldn't be usurping his. Lifetime bucks can't replace lifetime friends.

huntcoop
11-12-2008, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't tell a bum with a ponytail like that which bush to piss in.....

That is awesome, his/her's name must be Pat...:-D

muley kid
11-12-2008, 06:59 PM
we all make mistakes but u shouldnt be to upset.. your hunting partner harvested that buck.... is that not beter that someone else? is it even a 170 buck?? pictures may be decieving but it does not look to be what u claim...it could be much worse than it is... to bad u missed but heyy we all miss and i hope u didnt wound the big buck..

M.Dean
11-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Nice buck, your buddy got some good advice and did real good with it, as far as the comments on The Long Hair, i would maybe suggest that some of the folks making them get there behinds off there chair and go look in the mirror, it would take that gentlemen about 30 minutes to cut his hair, how long would it take them to get in the shape he's in? It doesn't seem to matter with some people what you look like or what you wear or what you do, they have nothing better in this life to do than find fault with it. Any way, congrats to your buddy and good luck with your buck! M.Dean

hunter1947
11-13-2008, 06:37 AM
HH this tells you something about what you will not do the next time you hunt for a big mule like the one in the pic.

Lesson learned ,chock this one up as experience for the next time you head in there.

That is a very nice buck alright ,it is a shame you did not get it ,there will be a next time.

300H&H
11-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Nice squirrle tail hang'n from your buddys hat :razz:.

Elkhound
11-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Comes down to better luck next time

Jelvis
11-17-2008, 10:29 PM
It's pretty bad when your best buddy that you phoned for help, shoots it himself eh! lol. And then gets you to take his picture while he smiles from ear to ear right in the lens your looking through. lol.
Jel---next year I guess?

mrdoog
11-17-2008, 10:30 PM
No, no Jel, it's all a dream.

GoatGuy
11-17-2008, 10:44 PM
We tell our buddies exactly where we saw big bucks.

They're sometimes tough to come by and they're even tougher to put on the ground.

I'm happy to see anyone put a big buck on the ground.

We normally swarm an area where somebody's seen a good critter.

We've been chasing a couple of big wt's for the past 3 years and we're all gunning for each other. Heck, today I didn't even pack my gun. There was enough firepower around to at least scare a deer and maybe even put it on the ground.

Be happy for your buddy! :biggrin:

Better him than some guy who blocked the road up where you were going to hike in from, driving 9.0, wearing a pair of sneakers! (just a random thought up story :roll:)

Things could be worse.

Prowler
11-17-2008, 10:54 PM
I Make my living as a fishing guide, and I have lost count of the times I have been burned by "friends" Telling them of a good spot, and come on in, but keep it to yourself, only to be invaded by a bunch of boats in the next few days.... AARRRRGGGG!!! Like you said, lesson learned. I am all for helping guys out, because what come around goes around, but there has to be some respect on both sides.. I know I could use some help some times. I will show a guy my honey hole, if I know he would do the same... Know what I mean SS?

Prowler
11-17-2008, 11:02 PM
P.S. tell Fabio, congratulations....

Jelvis
11-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Hey Prowler good one. Fabio that is great lol. You hit it right on, not only does this hunter's friend come up to help his buddy get his monster buck and then instead of waiting for his bud Fabio takes the shot, blasts the buck himself. What are friends for? lol Then the fella smiles wide in the lens for yah with your buck. lmao.
The guy that did get the buck is happy tho, cuz that is a nice buck for sure.
Oh well next time think of a different plan lol.
Jel---hey what are friends for. lol.

Gateholio
11-18-2008, 03:10 PM
We tell our buddies exactly where we saw big bucks.

They're sometimes tough to come by and they're even tougher to put on the ground.

I'm happy to see anyone put a big buck on the ground.

We normally swarm an area where somebody's seen a good critter.

We've been chasing a couple of big wt's for the past 3 years and we're all gunning for each other. Heck, today I didn't even pack my gun. There was enough firepower around to at least scare a deer and maybe even put it on the ground.

Be happy for your buddy! :biggrin:

Better him than some guy who blocked the road up where you were going to hike in from, driving 9.0, wearing a pair of sneakers! (just a random thought up story :roll:)

Things could be worse.

I tend to take that approach too- Depending on circumstances and who I am talking to. I'm not in competition with my buddies. If someone wants to "compete" I don't hunt with them.

Barracuda
11-18-2008, 03:38 PM
I agree.
one of the the best ways to ruin an enjoyable hunt is to make it a competition.

GoatGuy
11-18-2008, 08:43 PM
I tend to take that approach too- Depending on circumstances and who I am talking to. I'm not in competition with my buddies. If someone wants to "compete" I don't hunt with them.

The only person you're competing with is mother nature - that's hunting! :biggrin:

humble hunter
11-18-2008, 10:09 PM

If we were hunting together in the same truck then it would not matter and I would have been a bit scorned but still happy for him, as I am now. There is a lot more to this story than I can say on the net and a few of my close friends on this site know what I am talking about. We have been hunting together for 25 years now, I think we did our core course together when we were 12. If we were driving and saw a deer or elk he would do one of 2 things either jump out of the truck while it was still in gear or pull up tight to a tree so you could not get the door open. I always try to take my truck as it has the child lock on it and it drives him CRAZY. The door locks as soon as it is in gear and he will forget about it, come around a corner see something and he cannot get out. Very funny. He made up for it on the last day when he came out without his rifle to help me on the other buck I was chasing. We were in the same truck and had a great hike and hunt together. The final thing is I ran a few rounds through my rifle on the weekend and I am shooting 8" right, not sure how it happened but I would have missed again anyways. Another lesson learned: always fire your gun before every trip regardless if you think nothing has happened to it. This lesson learning thing is getting to be a drag!

Gateholio
11-18-2008, 11:46 PM
If we were hunting together in the same truck then it would not matter and I would have been a bit scorned but still happy for him, as I am now. There is a lot more to this story than I can say on the net and a few of my close friends on this site know what I am talking about. We have been hunting together for 25 years now, I think we did our core course together when we were 12. If we were driving and saw a deer or elk he would do one of 2 things either jump out of the truck while it was still in gear or pull up tight to a tree so you could not get the door open. I always try to take my truck as it has the child lock on it and it drives him CRAZY. The door locks as soon as it is in gear and he will forget about it, come around a corner see something and he cannot get out. Very funny. He made up for it on the last day when he came out without his rifle to help me on the other buck I was chasing. We were in the same truck and had a great hike and hunt together. The final thing is I ran a few rounds through my rifle on the weekend and I am shooting 8" right, not sure how it happened but I would have missed again anyways. Another lesson learned: always fire your gun before every trip regardless if you think nothing has happened to it. This lesson learning thing is getting to be a drag!

That's an example of a guy I won't hunt with...Some guys are always in competition with thier buddies...

You seem a bit too nice, HH!! :)

Krico
11-18-2008, 11:56 PM
[quote=humble hunter;361472]If we were driving and saw a deer or elk he would do one of 2 things either jump out of the truck while it was still in gear or pull up tight to a tree so you could not get the door open. I always try to take my truck as it has the child lock on it and it drives him CRAZY. The door locks as soon as it is in gear and he will forget about it, come around a corner see something and he cannot get out. quote]

Wow. There is such a thing as friendly competition...but actively preventing your buddy from shooting an animal just so you can get it is not something I would experience more than once. You've been hunting together for a long time so obviously it works for you guys. Good luck next time!

ianwuzhere
11-19-2008, 08:24 AM
2 shots and 2 big bucks and none down- hmm- thinking someone should have stayed at the range...;)
-sure hope none are wounded...

boxhitch
11-19-2008, 08:39 AM
I Make my living as a fishing guide, and I have lost count of the times I have been burned by "friends" Telling them of a good spot, and come on in, but keep it to yourself, only to be invaded by a bunch of boats in the next few days.... AARRRRGGGG!!! Oldest trick in the book, is to look for the charter boats.
If I can only get on the chuck once a year, I know exactly who I would follow or look for. No qualms about it either.

huntwriter
11-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Humble Hunter - I am sorry that you lost your buck, a very nice one at that, to another hunter.

Not telling anyone, not even my best friend, about a special deer is a lesson I learned the same way you did many years ago. If I find a hot spot or know of the existence of a great deer I keep it to myself.

humble hunter
11-19-2008, 11:54 AM
2 shots and 2 big bucks and none down- hmm- thinking someone should have stayed at the range...;)
-sure hope none are wounded...

With my gun off 8" at 100 yards and the 2nd buck was at 300 yards the only thing wounded was a tree. I believe it is from running around on the quad with the gun in the gun rack on rough trails. I am going on a blacktail hunt tommorow that is going to be a 40 km quad ride to get where I am going to hunt. I am going to check it on the return and see if it is still zeroed. If it is not then I will be starting a thread on gun racks for quads.

doubled
11-19-2008, 02:01 PM
I put my rifle in a soft case that is left open and then in the rack. This softens the bumps and bruises and still gives quick access if need be.

Gateholio
11-19-2008, 02:45 PM
With my gun off 8" at 100 yards and the 2nd buck was at 300 yards the only thing wounded was a tree. I believe it is from running around on the quad with the gun in the gun rack on rough trails. I am going on a blacktail hunt tommorow that is going to be a 40 km quad ride to get where I am going to hunt. I am going to check it on the return and see if it is still zeroed. If it is not then I will be starting a thread on gun racks for quads.

Or get a scope that won't bounce out of zero easily.:p

humble hunter
11-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Or get a scope that won't bounce out of zero easily.:p

We will see tommorow, i hope it isn't the case as it was expensive. The final part of this saga happened today when I got a call from a friend of mine about a monster buck shot where I was hunting on the evening of the 9th. I shot at the bigger of the 2 bucks at about 3:00 pm on the 9th and it was taken at 4:30. The buck was a 5 x 5 with a 28" inside spread and taped out at 193, with a 7" kicker off of the left side. A local guy shot it running across the open sage. It is always nice to come back to a place that you grew up and then help 2 locals get great bucks. :redface::redface::redface:

Dog soldier
11-19-2008, 09:59 PM
With friends like that, who needs enemies.
been there myself.
better luck on the next go round.