PDA

View Full Version : All in the Family

oldtimer
11-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Well with a Doe LEH and fresh snow on the ground WillyQ, Michael and Poppa Mike head out to see what can be found. We checked into an HBC (Scott ) from vancouver Island who is up here after deer with his buddy Shane and see they have one 2 point hanging. We B.S. for a few minutes about where everybody is going but the light is coming fast so off we go doing the famous cariboo road hunt. After seeing nothing in the higher elevations we go down lower and soon we come around a corner and spook a small Buck off the road into the bush. We leave Michael guarding the truck and off I go through some small willows with Chris in tow. Very easy to track in the fresh snow and Chris was right that Mulies don't spook a long way, they are too curious to see what spooked them. It wasn't 50 yards into the Bush that Chris spots him about 60 Yards away. While Chris is trying to get the good angle for his Video I am trying to get an angle where I can see a little more than just behind his shoulder. I have a decent opening and figure I better take the shot before he spooks. Take the shot and he moves off to the right and I lose sight but now chris can see him moving slowly away. We decide to give him a few minutes while Chris goes Back to the truck to get our #1 tracker ( Michael ) once we are all together we pick up a blood trail and the steps are close together. Chris spots the deer lying down but doesn't tell Michael and he followed that Blood trail to within about 15 yards, looked ahead and pointed right at it. There it is Dad !! It is not the biggest deer but will be very tasty. I can't tell everybody how nice it is to get out with family. Thanks WillyQ and Michael. Poppa Mike Chris says he will post pics.

willyqbc
11-11-2008, 04:42 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/pops_buck_08_2.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/pops_buck_08.jpg

...'tis a monstrous beast to be sure!!!:smile:

Chris

Gun Babe
11-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Very nice....well done and it will be great eats for sure...

newhunterette
11-11-2008, 07:10 PM
congratulations there Mike, Chris and Michael - love the family hunting - it is so awesome :)

nice pics as well thanks for sharing them Chris :)

Bow Walker
11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Good on ya Mike. I've watched a few videos of you and the family hunting. Always good to watch. Congratulations.

kloosterboer
11-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Congrats sounds like an awesome hunt!

oldtimer
11-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Good on ya Mike. I've watched a few videos of you and the family hunting. Always good to watch. Congratulations.

Gotta tell you Dan as you get older ( which you have a long way to go yet ) It is awesome just to be still hunting let alone with such a great young kid as Michael. Chris has a lot to be proud of in that young man. Mike

oldtimer
11-12-2008, 06:36 AM
Do these count as my entry into the HBC big Game contest ??

Steeleco
11-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Congrats to all, I hope one day to be able to hunt with my grandkids. But I'm in no rush!!

bsa30-06
11-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Congrats to all, I hope one day to be able to hunt with my grandkids. But I'm in no rush!!

Hmmmm...i thought you and elkhound had already arranged the marriage of your son to one of his daughters.lol:razz:

Congrats guys looks like a sucessfull family outing.

hunter1947
11-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Very nice family outing together .

Nice to see 3 generations together ,looks like you all had a blast on this hunt ,very nice deer as well.

sawmill
11-13-2008, 06:51 AM
It is a great thing to be able to hunt with family like that .Congrats.You are a lucky man!