PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail heart and liver safe to eat?

Bighorn hunter
11-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Just put down a meat buck and am wondering if the heart and liver are safe to eat or not?

Thanks
BHH

The Dawg
11-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Should be if it was gutted and cooled quickly, and the animal itself doesnt look sick or emaciated.

Bighorn hunter
11-11-2008, 01:15 PM
It doesn't turn my crank, but the wife wants it,kinda like her and didn't want to finish her off

doubled
11-11-2008, 01:22 PM
IT IS VERY GOOD if prepared and looked after properly. Stuffed heart is AWESOME.

Steeleco
11-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I always take both, the heart is real yummy. The liver I used to eat but one time with Gout and liver is off the menu. The dog gets it now, dehydrated and snapped into good dog treats.

mud-dog27
11-11-2008, 01:52 PM
bacon,heart,liver and onions......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...drooool

Stresd
11-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Just put down a meat buck and am wondering if the heart and liver are safe to eat or not?

Thanks
BHH

My hunting partners and family always fight over who will get those choice cuts. Yummy!!! The Tongue makes mighty fine sandwich meat too.

Bighorn hunter
11-11-2008, 02:12 PM
thanks for all the reply's , might have to try the heart myself, think I'll leave the liver for the wife though

Stone Sheep Steve
11-11-2008, 02:15 PM
thanks for all the reply's , might have to try the heart myself, think I'll leave the liver for the wife though\

Don't do it! They're not safe to eat!!!!

I'll come by and pick them up to ensure proper disposal;).

Heart always comes home with me....liver "most"of the time.

I was disappointed to find out that I blew the heart apart on my elk this year.

SSS

moosehunter12
11-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Heart is so good not a big fan of liver. I soaked the elk heart in some salt water let it sit over night and made sure it was clean then cut into thin strips and fry it up. Tastes just like roast beef.

Shayne

Shooter
11-11-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm with some others here. My whole family LOVES the heart. Liver.... Not so much. The heart is almost like a celebration after a successful hunt that day its like candy. My wife cleans it up REAL good (she's picky that way). Takes all fat/arteries and everything off then soaks in Soy Sauce for a marinade and just fries it up.. MMMM MMMM MMM so good.

3kills
11-11-2008, 04:26 PM
i always take the heart and live out but usually give it to my grandma i love stuffed heart but i havent had it in a long time i havent had anyone to cook it for me..liver usually gets pretty strong tasting when in the rut...my grandma gives it to a friend of hers to feed to her cat and dog

boxhitch
11-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Its easy to overcook liver, making it a poor dish. Done right it is good.
I have them soaking right now, on the menu for tomorrow.
Careful with the soya, it has lots of salt, which draws out the moisture quick.