PDA

View Full Version : First timer

Deerwhacker
09-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi all
Im new to hunting and managed to go on my first hunt sept 1-5th in regeon 4-3 for elk and whitetails. Had a great time and managed to bag my first deer (spike fork whitey) on my first day out hunting:D .
Pretty soon I plan on hunting some deer and bear from a tree stand , if anyones got any pointers it would be greatly apreciated.

Cheers.
Paul

rock
09-20-2005, 09:14 PM
You have to have a lot of patience to hunt from a tree stand, or good amount of animals around, I usually use scent and calls which can be quite productive from a tree, thats were you learn when to call and not. I have had great fun hunting this way, but it's not for everybody, vocally I make alot of my own calls, a doe can have up to 2 to 3 different vocal calls, ones for danger the other to locate where everybody are and the 3rd for whatever reason, I've had deer come in and leave and call them back in just to get a better look, I've filmed deer before I've shot them, I've filmed one in october then shot it in november.

Deerwhacker
09-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Thanks rock .

now all i need to do is find a suitable area to set up a stand.My plan is to find some freequented game trails with fairly fresh sign and to try to set up the stand where I can get a clear shot at game animals moveing through.
Im thinking of trying the west side of harrison lake and the liloette river . I know theres some big black bears there on personal expierence but if anyone knows what other game animals are around that area that would be great.I seen a deer in that area befour I was "hunter educated'' and therefore did not check to see what type it was.

Paul

MB_Boy
09-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Deerwhacker.....congrats on the deer...just saw it in the gallery. Nice work getting it with a crossbow!!

Ronforca
09-21-2005, 08:46 AM
:-D How to go Deerwhacker.

Deerwhacker
09-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Deerwhacker.....congrats on the deer...just saw it in the gallery. Nice work getting it with a crossbow!!
I put some good hours in at the temporary bow range me and my dad set up down sylvester road and my absolute max shot is 40yards (barring perfict conditions). I spined the deer at 30 yards and it was more exiteing than bringing in a 36lb spring salmon:) ,cant wait to get a yogie.

Steeleco
09-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Welcome you lucky bugger. Obviously your hooked, Good luck on the upcoming hunts.