PDA

View Full Version : What shot shells you using for ducks?

NoLimit99
11-10-2008, 07:44 PM
This is my first year trying to harvest some ducks and so far I havn't had any luck. Not sure if its the ammo im using or if im just not use to shooting a flying object yet such as a duck. My question is what brand and # of shot shell ya using for ducks and is there any good hints, tips or tricks you can give me as I do very well at the range shooting flying clays. HELP IS BADLY NEEDING as im getting frustrated with missing them as they are coming down for a touch down. :cry:

Crazy_Farmer
11-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Seems like winchester Xperts seem to be the most common shells guys are using. But theres tons of different brands Federal, kent, remington, bismuth will all get the job done.

Anything 2 3/4" or 3" sized anywhere from #2s to #4s going around 1300fps average goes 1500+fps will work just fine.

I've been using winchester xperts 3" 1550fps #2s 1 1/8th ounce for two season, before that same brand but in #3s and #4s for a couple years before that.

Its just like Ford, Chevy, Dodge trucks. Everyones going to have an opinion of which brand is best or which they use.

As for having difficulting hitting the birds, I started at a young age, always got to shoot the first bird of the morning on the water. Made sure I'd atleast hit something for the day but I've out grown that. Clays are great for practice, though I've maybe shot 200 clays in my lifetime and I've never seen a clay dip and cup and swing and land like a duck will but I do see where they they help in the swinging left or right or outwards on a duck flying by or away.

Keep your head down, focus on only one bird, keep only shooting at that one till it falls, closer birds will always be easier shots so so get em in nice and close to start.

Dano
11-10-2008, 08:22 PM
I shoot Kent fasteel in #2 in 3". I also shoot winchester X-perts in #2 and also 3" shells. I get more clean kills with the #2 so like CF did, I stopped shooting #3 and #4 steel loads (shot what I had left opening day, just a few 2 3/4" shells left to shoot also). The 2 3/4" in #2 are fine for killing ducks too, I just shoot 3" loads as there are a few more pellets and my Browning A-5 needs adjustment to switch back and forth in different shell sizes. That reminds me, what gun, choke and barrel length do you shoot? It can make a difference.
Dan
P.S. I shoot BB size shot for geese when hunting geese specifically but I have knocked lots of geese down with #2 when I'm hunting ducks and an opportunity has presented itself and I don't have time to change my loads as they approach.

Marc
11-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Can't go wrong with factory #2's I prefer then to be doing over 1400 fps.

I'm presently reloading 1 1/8 and a bit ( it's between 1 1/8- 1 1/4) #3s steel in a 3 inch hull pushing 1550fps with a modified choke and it's working like a hot dam on ducks out of my new Remington so far this fall.

Find what works for your gun and stick with it.

longshot
11-10-2008, 09:16 PM
We use 3" Xpert or Drylok Hi-Velocity. 1 1/8 #2. They are 1550 fps. Started using them three years ago and won't shoot anything else. We use them for ducks and geese. Seems to take the geese cleanly out of the sky up to 35 yards on mod. choke. They are wicked on ducks, perfect power wise, but have a pretty small spread. So aim well.

I first started with the xpert HV. The only difference with drylok and xpert I think is that the drylok is waterproof. So really no difference. But both give the same great result. The Xperts are more easily found in stores.

Longshot

NoLimit99
11-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Ok here's the thing, im using a modified choke, i've tried #3 & #4 winchester xperts and still nothing maybe im pre-maturly shooting and they are out of my range because im getting excited, or i havn't got my mo jo on and just sucking badly. Whats your trick to shooting them do you get them when they are about to land or do you wait till they have landed? my other questions is if they are landing do you shoot in front of them or at there head or at the body? them suckers come in fast.

Marc
11-10-2008, 09:39 PM
You need to lead them, you're probably shooting behind them. Don't shoot unless they are within 30 yards. When you set your decoys walk from where you are going to shoot to 30 paces out this is your furthest decoy. Don't shoot at anything pass that.

porcupine
11-10-2008, 10:51 PM
The higher the velocity the better when you are shooting steel, so I like the 1550 FPS ammo in size #2. My wife shoots #4 Bismuth out of her 20 ga Micro Citori. Bismuth is only around 1100 FPS so you have to adjust your leads accordingly if you shoot Bismuth (which very few do). All major brands make pretty good ammo.
________
indica strains (http://strainindex.com)

phearless
11-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Bum, belly, beak, boom!

f350ps
11-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Sounds like you should pattern your gun. You may be surprised at the results. I shoot 2 3/4 #2 Experts and was having terrible results until I patterned it and found that it only patterns good with an IM choke out of my gun, Every gun is different so giver a go on a pattern board and see what ya got. Also, the gun may not fit you properly which can lead to some very frustrating results. Good Luck K

NoLimit99
11-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Im heading out tomorrow for a early morning duck hunt so before I start I shall pattern my gun and see whats up who knows.

NoLimit99
11-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Well people I listened to ya all and with success lol..... I harvested my very first goose and 3 ducks. Was very pleased im glad I listened thanks a bunch for all the help.

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/nolimit99/102_2114.jpg
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/nolimit99/102_2118.jpg

Marc
11-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Nice goose and widgeon you got there. Just a word of advice, you may want to bone up on your bird identification as there are different daily/posession limits for different species of ducks. You didn't do anything wrong here but those are definitely not pintails.

Here is a good website to visit to tell the difference.

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowlgallery.aspx

NoLimit99
11-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the webpage found to be very useful.