PDA

View Full Version : No bucks

todbartell
11-10-2008, 07:09 PM
In the past two days Ive seen about 50 mulie doe/fawns & 16 whitetail does/fawns, only bucks were a couple spike mulies. :cry:
Tomorrow is the last of my 3 days off work in a row...hopefully I see something with bone on its head :neutral:

frustrated, Bartell

bsa30-06
11-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Havent seen that many deer in 5 years sounds like your doing well.....lookin forward to your sucess pictures tomorrow.

mark
11-10-2008, 07:16 PM
I hunted all my best spots for the last 4 days straight, least amount of deer Ive ever seen in the closing week, by far the least amount of rut activity. While I did see between 1-5 bucks per day, there were no shooters to be seen. Talking to a few buds and a local taxidermist, Im not alone either.

Extremely frustrated Mark!

Im suddenly a hard core bowhunter this year!

TIKA 300
11-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Just got home from 3-40 an hour ago,seen 13 deer in 4 days,which 6 were spikers-2 pointers and the rest does-fawns......

Heard a couple wolves howling from across the Thompson yesterday morning ...... Grrrrr !!!!!! Would have been SATISFIED bringing 1 of them home.

Gateholio
11-10-2008, 07:35 PM
I hunted all my best spots for the last 4 days straight, least amount of deer Ive ever seen in the closing week, by far the least amount of rut activity. While I did see between 1-5 bucks per day, there were no shooters to be seen. Talking to a few buds and a local taxidermist, Im not alone either.

Same for around here!

In the last 7 days of hunting I have seen 4 does and one small buck...Usually I will see at least that in a day!

Other weird thing is the lack of sign. I coudl understand if I just wasnt' seeing deer, but there is hardly any tracks, poo, and only a few rubs...

We've still got 20 days left in the season, so back into the thick timber I go:smile:

elkdom
11-10-2008, 07:45 PM

Something has been out of sync this fall, over the last week I have seen Big bull moose like crazy, on 2 occasions actually saw them jumping willing cows, same ood behavior from the deer I am seeing, one area nothing happening!, but 4 miles away the bucks are going at it BIG time, but just a "hint" the areas where the deer are rutting hard this week, last week seen only mega does and spikers to be seen, this week spikers standing away from the deer herd and Mr Big is now in charge, hang in there, even up north where it is minus 6 and some nites minus 15 the rut is still not general and strong, probably be another week if cold weather stays, if it warms up, it slows down the vigor of the bucks, and the does dont feed so long in the day !, and also I am just amazed at the total lack of deer hunters, with a 30 day GO's for both muley and whitetail , bucks or does either species and no hunters, wierd,,,

boonerbuck
11-10-2008, 07:49 PM
My last 3 days out I havent even seen a doe. I see all their tracks and rubs but it's like they are invisible. I've seen this early rut nocternal bull shit before. It's time deer start having to follow some regulations too...

brotherjack
11-10-2008, 07:58 PM
This year has been like that for whitetails in many of my (in years past) primo whitetail spots. No fresh poop, no rubs at all (zero), and doe sightings are down to 1 every few days instead of 1 every few minutes. It's pretty spooky, actually.

elkdom
11-10-2008, 08:04 PM
This year has been like that for whitetails in many of my (in years past) primo whitetail spots. No fresh poop, no rubs at all (zero), and doe sightings are down to 1 every few days instead of 1 every few minutes. It's pretty spooky, actually.

From what I have been seeing all fall, and its same story for elk,moose and deer areas that have been "hot" or what you call perenial good locations where for last 15 years the game would feed and use heavily at same times of the year, well this year is different, why?? I am not sure, I know these areas I hunt and the game is still local, but not keeping the usuall or regular patterns for feeding, drinking???

eastkoot
11-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Lots of does in 4-22 and did see a huge 2x2 today as well as a other few bucks but nothing to brag about..(Muleys I'm talking about). Did see a small whitetail buck today but no good to me.. I have a 4 point in the back yard that is tearing my caragana bush to shreds and chasing does like a goof ball. Last night I actually kicked his ass with my slippered foot.. He just stared at me, kinda scary.. so I went back into the house to let him do his thing..5 more days, just keep trying!!

Everett
11-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Well I am glad to hear I am not the only one who thinks this fall has been weird. Had a bull elk bugling at me like crazy this morning. Than on the way home I see 4 Muley bucks hanging out together eating lunch. And to top it off the smallest deer was a four point(perfect miniture 4x4 still had a stubby fawn face) and the biggest a three point looked like he was ten years old

brotherjack
11-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Speaking of weird - I took a buddy out looking for a mulie for him over the weekend. When we found the hot doe on the mountain, we also found no fewer than 7 mulie bucks (no legal ones, unfortunately), but the hot doe in question was a whitetail!!! (in an area where I have seen maybe 3 whitetails in 5 years of hunting there).

Everett
11-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Wife saw that yesterday except it was a little whitetail buck with two Muley Does right on top of the Mountain as well over 6000ft

brotherjack
11-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Gonna be some hybrids running around here next year, sure enough....

(ducking and running).

kgriz
11-10-2008, 08:32 PM
This year has been strange for all game, theres no doubt. Luckily, I've seen no fewer than 40 big rubs in 60 acres of my brother-in-laws game reserve ( farm) where I have the only permission:-P I'll wait until a little later after I'm done chasing a big buck with my bow that I seen in the city a couple of days ago. There's only grain at my brothers every couple of years when he breaks new ground so I'm not always so lucky.

LeverActionJunkie
11-10-2008, 09:18 PM
My brother in law and I spent the weekend checking our honey holes around clinton, as he is looking for a 4-point, and we say a total of 12 does and not even a spiker. Back in Oct he was seeing way more deer , sign, etc.

drakfero
11-10-2008, 09:44 PM
need to get some buck or bull? clean the area from the predators.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Thank God for flattops:smile:!!

I worked 45 days in a row. Was supposed to work at least a couple of more weeks straight....but Sunday I told work to stuff it!! Went hunting.....should have worked:?.

Warm temps...moon's getting more full......no snow in the hills....deer spread out.
Thought it was just me..not being in touch...glad to here I'm not alone.

Bring on the bow season!!

SSS

browningboy
11-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Don't give up until your girlfriend sings! LOL JJ

There around, most likely when your on your way to work!
Good luck.

mrdoog
11-10-2008, 10:36 PM
"hopefully I see something with bone on its head"

Well if you would have stayed in the same tent last trip your dream may have come true!

dunbartr
11-10-2008, 10:40 PM
I agree that there definitly seems to be some strange behavior and lack of patterns this year and for some of us things don't seem as "normal" as usual. But what is normal???????

On the flip side there sure is some nice posts of some awesome bucks being taken lately - just not as many by some of the HBC regulars? Although some of those now seem to be showing up too! Great to see lots of newbies too that have put their time in and are being rewarded.:cool:

I think agauchers story tells it best (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2787 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27878)) and sometimes maybe we just have to move on to a new spot and start over!

It wouldn't be true British Columbia hunting if we all hammered a big one every year!!!:roll:

Still a few more weeks!

Laurence_Erickson
11-10-2008, 10:40 PM
I just got home from 4 days in mu 5-1 on a bull draw .we only saw one deer high tailing it in the dark and 8 cow moose. the hole yr has been this way for me . But one still gets away from the phone .

boxhitch
11-11-2008, 12:33 AM
just not as many by some of the HBC regulars?
Hhmmm, regular in HBC and not seeing game. Some corelation ?
I've been out hard since the snow landed Thursday. Have seen lots of new tracks appearing, in the same old spots. Nocturnal ? sure but what else is new ?
The beat goes on. Just not in human terms.
I only saw three deer yesterday. The surprise was they were all four point bucks.

sawmill
11-11-2008, 06:19 AM
I gave up on mulies yesterday and filled my LEH whitie doe tag.My wife has a whitie tag so we can still hunt till the end of the month.I have been seeing a ton of does around here BrotherJack and the tarsal glands on my doe were dripping down her legs,hunt out this way,you will see a buck or two anytime now.St. Mary`s backroad.

todbartell
11-11-2008, 11:22 AM
out this morning, seen 3 cow moose and a crossfox...and wolf tracks all over. No deer..wonder why...:|

Dirty
11-11-2008, 11:44 AM
That is crappy. In the Southern Okanagan the weather is warm for this time of year in my opinion. It looks like the bucks are in the pre-rut stages. If we get a cold snap it is go time.

aletheuo
11-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Hmmm... was out yesterday and noticed the exact same pattern as all of you. No rut yet with the whiteys - few scrapes and only a few does. Something I read suggests there's correlation with a very fast intense rut and a later full moon (Nov 10 this year).

If the brightness of the full moon actually triggers a doe's estrous cycle as many are inclined to believe then it would seem to also beg the question... has it been overcast during the night these last few nights?

see http://books.google.ca/books?id=jSpVDREupPMC&pg=PA87&dq=whitetail+rut&ei=PpkXSdmTJILysQOR1_mWDw#PPA82,M1
for a complete look at the theory. It's definitely worth the read.

todbartell
11-11-2008, 06:10 PM
out this morning, seen 3 cow moose and a crossfox...and wolf tracks all over. No deer..wonder why...:|

wolves ruined my deer hunt!!!! :mrgreen:

Stone Sheep Steve
11-11-2008, 07:30 PM

You have the tools, Bartel. Make them pay:cool:.......then post the pics.

SSS

bc-shedder
11-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Just got home from 3-40 an hour ago,seen 13 deer in 4 days,which 6 were spikers-2 pointers and the rest does-fawns......

Heard a couple wolves howling from across the Thompson yesterday morning ...... Grrrrr !!!!!! Would have been SATISFIED bringing 1 of them home.

Where abouts were u in 40 may have saw u around

Shed Hunter
11-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Okanagan fetus study back long ago. Muleys peak rut Nov. 15 White tails Dec. 3

Everett
11-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Wife and I went out today for the whole day to try and get her a Muley saw 5 mule bucks none legal, 19 mule does, one little whitey buck and 9 whitetail does. Also saw at least 30 other hunters and one gut pile.

mark4
11-12-2008, 11:09 AM
I have been out treestand hunting whitetail for the last week or so. All I have been seeing is does- no bucks chasing whatsoever. Apparently if you beleive in the lunar phases affecting whitetails- the rut is set to start on november 13 th this year in southeastern bc. I am not too worried yet because I hunt the does in order to tag a buck- and I am seeing plenty of does from my stands. I honestly beleive that the rut simply hasn't started yet- but when it does you can bet your bottom dollar that the bucks will appear out of the woodwork- Did I mention that I have gotten soaked every time out so far ?? It adds to the frustration lol- I am hoping for cold weather and a bit of snow to get the hormones going in those bad boys !!

Mr. Dean
11-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Something has been out of sync this fall, over the last week I have seen Big bull moose like crazy, on 2 occasions actually saw them jumping willing cows....

Ditto!

Of all my buck sightings last week, they all were on their own. I had a group of the better of 20 deer that I was glassing with a spotter. Not a spiker was in it. I looked them over long enough that I was starting to give them names....

todbartell
11-12-2008, 01:26 PM
+11 and windy today here

last year it was +4, the year before -1 for daily highs

screw deer hunting, I'm gonna go mow the lawn!

Kye
11-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Seen lots of does in groups lately. Seen three bucks in the last few days, all alone.

tinhorse
11-12-2008, 01:43 PM
I shot a smaller 4 point buck on Monday the 10th in region 5. He was with 6 does and wan sniffing butts like crazy. I was over a kilometer away when I spotted them and was able to sneak up to 200m and call the buck out of the short timber with a buck grunt. The rut is definetly started. That night as well I saw a bigger 4 point with a group of 8 does. Unfortunatly I was already tagged out on the smaller 4 point.

mgnm300
11-12-2008, 04:36 PM
i've managed to get a few shots of deer on my trail cam and they've all bin nocturnal. i even got a video of a buck (6x6) whitey urinating on himself but not making a scrape. so i'd say it's pre rut and they're not stupid yet

killman
11-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Bartell, we seen very little for deer all weekend. Not even many tracks. A local told us they all died the last couple winters, he said usually he would have 40 in his field eating with the horses, this year none. We also seen wolf tracks everywhere, and lots of them.

ianwuzhere
11-12-2008, 06:52 PM
killman im in the same boat as you...been out tons this year- put a lot of miles on and it just seems like they are not there. searched high and low- seeing does but just nothin with them...

Caveman
11-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Saw 30 does and various bucks a week ago, all together, but this last weekend numbers were way down. Moon Phase???

Shooter
11-12-2008, 07:04 PM
I saw 21 deer today all had no bone on the noggin. None were in groups bigger than 3 and a few were solo. I watched a bunch while they fed and some others while they bedded down and not a single buck swung by to take a look at them :frown:

TIKA 300
11-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Where abouts were u in 40 may have saw u around

We were camped in an old Airstream trailer @ the intersection of the Hole in the wall,and Mad river.

Put on MANY MANY miles looking for that elusive 4 point,and cow calf(draw)

todbartell
11-12-2008, 07:47 PM
We also seen wolf tracks everywhere, and lots of them.

wolves ruined your hunt!!!!

PGK
11-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Whitetails like rabbits near west lake this year, wolf tracks all over. Wolves don't matter.

bc-shedder
11-12-2008, 09:06 PM
We were camped in an old Airstream trailer @ the intersection of the Hole in the wall,and Mad river.

Put on MANY MANY miles looking for that elusive 4 point,and cow calf(draw)
well dont feel bad no one is succeeding there moose wolves wiped them out

hunter1947
11-13-2008, 05:58 AM
I know of some others here on the island that are in the same boat as you TBT.

Just keep it going ,hunt hard as you know and you will connect sooner or latter it will be your turn ,good luck on finding your dream deer http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

sawmill
11-13-2008, 07:02 AM
It`s gonna be a good weekend here,the weather has been shitty but is clearing and getting colder.The whities wil move pretty good.Taking the wife out again Sat.We shall see...........................

rishu_pepper
11-13-2008, 10:04 AM

Doesn't sound too funny now when it happens to you eh? :-P This is what you get :biggrin: At least I got my buck ;)