PDA

View Full Version : Leagal 4 point mule deer

Walksalot
11-10-2008, 06:54 PM
My son and I were out hunting and happened upon a mule deer buck. It looked like a typical 3 point with a small brow tine. On the one side was a small kicker of a tine maybe 3 in long above the brow tine. I told my son to pass on it as I was not sure if it was legal. Again this morning I watched it for a while and let it be. Could it pass as a legal 4 point.

brotherjack
11-10-2008, 07:02 PM
If it has 4 points NOT COUNTING THE BROW TINE - then it is legal; it don't matter at all where on the rack the additional tines grew from (see legal definition of a 'tine' in the regs).

WoodOx
11-10-2008, 07:02 PM
did it have a browtine as well?

possibly legal if its got a brow tine as well. most important is that the 3" tine could under no circumstances be interpreted as a brow tine

oddsix
11-10-2008, 07:04 PM
If it has 4 points NOT COUNTING THE BROW TINE - then it is legal; it don't matter at all where on the rack the additional tines grew from (see legal definition of a 'tine' in the regs).

'nuff said

11-10-2008, 07:08 PM
'nuff said

I agree with BJ, but on the same note my son in law and daughter passed up a small buck just like that the other day. They figured it's better to play it on the safe side if one is not sure.

The deer you saw was probably legal, but since you weren't sure you did the right thing.

TIKA 300
11-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I agree with BJ, but on the same note my son in law and daughter passed up a small buck just like that the other day. They figured it's better to play it on the safe side if one is not sure.

The deer you saw was probably legal, but since you weren't sure you did the right thing.

x 2 :biggrin:

brotherjack
11-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I concur, when unsure if a shot would be either legal or ethical, you should NEVER shoot, it is the ONLY reasonable thing to do, and you did the right thing in that sense.

boxhitch
11-10-2008, 11:52 PM
small kicker of a tine maybe 3 in long above the brow tine.
From that description, I would call it a tine also.

But you are never wrong for not shooting if in doubt.

Walksalot
11-11-2008, 06:32 AM
Thanks guys, after getting your replies and then looking carefully at the regulations the buck was definitely legal. Historically I have always looked for the double split in the antler and if it wasn't there I let it pass.

sealevel
11-11-2008, 06:49 AM
I don`t have any regs in the house.but do`s it not show clearly that a legal 4 point must have 2 branched tines ?

Walksalot
11-11-2008, 07:12 AM
Mule (Black-tailed) Deer - Four Points or
Greater Buck - means any buck having at least
four tines, excluding the brow tine, on one antler.

Tine or "Point" - means a branch of an
antler which is longer than its breadth and is at
least 2.5 cm in length, and for the purpose of
determining the length of a tine
(a) the breadth of the tine is measured (if
extending from a palmation of an antler, then in
the plane of the palm) at a location at least 2.5
cm from the tip of the tine, and
(b) the length of the tine is measured from its
tip end, following the midline of the profile of
the tine, and following the natural curvature of
the tine, to the midpoint of the straight line
along which the breadth is measured. (See
How to Measure a Tine diagram below)

boxhitch
11-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Kicker points are an anomaly that would be difficult to regulate in its own, so they are just called tines or points. If the majority of the population had them I bet the regs would address them, but now the numbers don't call for special concern.
Probably treated like the boney calf moose scenario.

In4TheHunt
11-11-2008, 10:26 AM

X2 U did the right thing...If you saw it twice already...then this time you r geared with knowledge. if you see him again the decision should B simple.

Cheers

Mr. Dean
11-12-2008, 02:42 AM
In this case, it sounds as if it had 'double brows' on one side.

The regs clearly state "not including brow tines" (emphasis on the plural of tineS). I take this reading as that stuff (points) only counts only after where the mains branch off.

I too have passed up on deer like this.

bigmike
11-12-2008, 03:12 AM

The regs clearly state "not including brow tines" (emphasis on the plural of tineS). I take this reading as that stuff (points) only counts only after where the mains branch off.

Very good point.
I have also seen double brow tines on a few bucks in the Kamloops area,the decision was easy for me as they were both small bucks,but it got me thinking about the situation at hand.
Next time I see a CO I'll be asking him for his point of view.

hunter1947
11-13-2008, 07:20 AM
As long as it has 4 above the gard on one side you are good ,it is legal to shoot.

open-sights
11-13-2008, 10:05 AM

Agreed, double or even triple brows are still brow tines! Good on ya for passing the animal up!