PDA

View Full Version : First Moose 46" 8-08

Junorr500
11-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Got my first moose yesterday. Decent bull. 46" Will post rest of story when i post pics.

doubled
11-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Congrats on your first. Looking forward to the pics.

11-10-2008, 12:31 PM
We need pics and stories!

Junorr500
11-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Ok Here is the pic. I didnt get any of it in the bush unfortunatley.

So first things first. I made a horrable shot. I dont know what happened but it wasent good. The bull was about 300yrds off when i made the shot. I didnt have a chance to get to a rest and had to make the shot from a kneeling position. I was shooting my .270 with 150gr fed premium. ( Note to self: buy and carry a set of shooting sticks)
Anyway i endid up hitting him in the lower knuckle on his left leg. Blew it apart. He couldent put any weight on it. He hit the bush and started running, left a good blood trail in the snow for me to follow.

I started tracking him and sent my partner back into town to round up some help.

So from where i shot him on the powerline to where he eventually crossed back over the powerline was 500 yrds apart and a good 2.5 hours of hard hiking. I figure 3 or 4 miles of wet snow and thick wet bush. I came back onto the powerline behind him cold and wet and sorry lookin. My help haddent arrived yet and i was in no shape to head back into the bush without warming up and having a rest.

So there i am getting cold waiting for my buddies to show up before i start tracking again. Next thing that happens is a couple of guys come down the powerline on a quad. They stop and chat for a bit with me and gave me a dry jacket and a cup of coffee and some food. I owe them a big thanks as they saved my but from a bit of hypothermia im sure. So these guys wish me luck and then take off after making sure i was in better shape. I waited another half hour for my buddies before they get back. I sent 2 of them down on a lower road to see if the moose kept moving in that direction.

Where i stoped tracking him when he left the powerline was in between the powerline and the lower road.

Me and another guy hit his trail again and after another half hour/ 45 min or so and a few backtracks on our own trail we finally caught up with him in some thick trees. We both hit trees on out first shot and then he stuck his head out in the open and bam bam we both fired at the same time and dropped him with 2 shots to the head.

Then the fun begain. He was only about 500 yards from the road where he dropped but it took 4 guys a hour and a half to cut a quad trail into it and another 45 min to skid it out. Plus the time to round up the trucks and load up the moose we didnt get back out till 8 that night.

I have to say though i was very fortunate that it ended where and when it did. It could have been alot worse for me and the moose. No excuse for my bad shot but at least it ended well after alot of hard work tracking him

Big thanks to the guys on the quad and all my buddies for all the help.

So its a 46" spread and we guess about 900lb on the hoof.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/oct_30_08_012.jpg

NaStY
11-11-2008, 04:38 PM
K now i feel like an idiot :redface:

Nice bull congrats....

Stone Sheep Steve
11-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Am i not reading the regs right? It says moose is closed for hunting in reg 8-08 oct 31. Not to sure about this thread ??????

Immature bulls close on Oct 31. Oct 1-31 LEH bulls also close on Oct 31. Nov LEH any bull start Nov1----Nov 30.

That's a good OK bull!! Looks like he was on the downhill slide8).

SSS

burger
11-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Glad the bull was found, but having someone help shoot your LEH animal is illegal whether or not it was the right thing to do.

The Dawg
11-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Glad the bull was found, but having someone help shoot your LEH animal is illegal whether or not it was the right thing to do.

The HBC saints strike again.....Great bull and good on ya for tracking it down through the thick shiite. Congrats.

moosinaround
11-11-2008, 05:43 PM
A wounded bull was dispatched! Get off your hi horse and use common sense! HBC saints, obviously no field experience!! Moosin

Steeleco
11-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Nicely gents!!

Good work on the bull.

BlacktailStalker
11-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Nice bull and good on ya for givin 'er till you found him to finish him off.

IPA
11-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Nice bull, worth all the hard work, good on you. Don't let the saints get to you, did the right thing finding the bull. Congrats.

Junorr500
11-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Ya From tracking it and what i saw in the scope when i hit it i knew there was no whay in good concience i was going to give up on it. It couldent even use its leg and when i did find a print of that leg the hoof was crooked by 45 degrees and there was arcs of blood splatter from the floping.

As far as dispatching the moose i was standing right beside may partner and shooting at the same time so no one can accuse me of letting someone else kill my LEH bull. Besides i put a insurance/humane shot in the brain once it was down just in case.

All in all one for the story book.

THanks for all the support.

Blainer
11-11-2008, 07:01 PM
The HBC saints strike again.....Great bull and good on ya for tracking it down through the thick shiite. Congrats.
I knew it was coming.
Good moose and the right decisions in my mind under the circumstances.

burger
11-11-2008, 10:02 PM

Wasn't trying to be a saint but more along the lines of letting him know that that is illegal and if he was to tell that story to a CO. Guess what he's in crap.There was a large debate on here a few months ago about the whole LEH/GOS two shooter positions.

I posted that I was happy the animal was found cuz I am. Would have been a waste, but I am sure we can all agree that having all of us follow the laws of hunting will only benefit us all in the long run.