PDA

View Full Version : Last Chance Sunday - He's Legal!!!

dunbartr
11-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Since we all like a bit of a story….

Went out East of Vernon on Saturday with ‘thepitchedlink’ new HBC member and friend who is new to the area and hasn’t had much luck yet. Seems he has been doing everything right, just hasn’t seen many bucks. Went to one of my old favorite spots on Sat (Heckman area) and saw tonnes of tracks in the snow, but it warmed up fast and was real windy. No deer moving at all. Tried a few walk/sit spots, but ended up road hunting mostly, and showing him around a bit. Should have just gone and sat somewhere longer…. But they had to be around the next corner!!! Lots of whitey does in Cherryville as per usual. So a disappointing day and a little discouraging for both of us but great to show a newbie some new area to hunt.

Sunday decided it’s my last chance for a region 8 mulie. Had high hopes this year, but didn’t get around to putting in as much time as I had hoped in my fav spots so any legal 4 point buck goes. Hooked up with a different buddy and decided to hunt closer to town at another old fav’t spot. My dad and brother had seen three or four different bucks (two legal) their earlier in the week, and I knew of one other (supposed to be a big one).

Road hunted a bit on the way in – area doesn’t get a lot of traffic, so no hurry to “the spot”. Got to the spot at 7am and each did a separate walk into a block and sat until 8:30ish. Met back at the truck, buddy saw a big two point that walked right up to him within a yard! Said he just froze and he could have touched it but was just hoping it didn’t freak out and spear him!!!!

So we drove around a bit then parked at a block where my brother said was a good spot to sit and watch. Some guys drove down on the main road in a Polaris ranger and then I saw a small buck within like 60 secs! We beetled down after him because my Dad said the 4 point he saw real small and thne went into the trees before we could get the spotting scope on him, but were sure he was only a spike or maybe the same forkhorn. We decided might as well head back up to the sitting spot for another half hour or so. Just fire up the truck to leave and I spot something else down on the main road….. we both put up binos…. Buck! and not the little guy. So we start our stalk as we are 500yds out. See the other small buck again, or a different one maybe? Were we like wth? Could have sworn we both saw a bigger one??? Anyhow, we walk down the road a little more, finally spot the bigger buck and we sort of split up in case he goes up or down. We are sure he’s a three but still unsure if he is a 4. I walk down the ditch and blow a couple grunts and he starts heading towards the road, a couple more grunts and he comes to within 60 yds or so… I can see a 4th point and I’m pretty sure it’s at least an inch……… So I put the scope up and watched him for what felt like forever, I moved my eye away form the scope hoping he would turn again. He finally did and I could still see the 4th point with the naked eye, so I was sure it was the minimum 2.5cm. Bam…. He ran about 50yds and stopped, unsure of my hit, I fired another round towards the neck (as he’s facing away from me) and caught it a little low and along the spine…. Down, but still moving his head, so one more for good measure…… dumb ass shot in the front shoulder though!!! I could only find the two shots, so I think I missed him clean on the first shot….. not really sure why, I’m usually a good shot, but it happens to everyone I guess!!!

A good meat in the freezer buck anyhow, even though I wrecked more than I would have liked. The 4th point is just over 3cm.:-D Reg 3 and whiteys are next!

My brother also ended up getting a little 3 point today on his way home from moose hunting in 4-38.

I know - I hate posts without pics, but my camera is broken and my bro went to bed, but he and my buddy both got some, so I'll try to get them up tomorrow evening.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/dunbartr/Hunting%202008/Deer2008_03.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/dunbartr/Hunting%202008/Deer2008_01.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/dunbartr/Hunting%202008/Mulies08.jpg

Shermdog
11-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Good story, nice work connecting on the buck. We are looking for some whiteys in reg 3 as well. Been pretty slow lately, but Ive talked to a few guys who have got some. roughly where abouts you going in region 3?

Steeleco
11-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Cool story, I'd be waking that boy with the pictures, up!! It's a law around here LOL

thepitchedlink
11-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Nice going Dunbar, you bugger. I just got back and came face to face with a three pointer that might have been a 4. 30ys and I couldn't tell, I could see the "4th" in the binos but it was so small. I must have tried to shoot him five times but each time I just couldn't see that "4th" with the naked eye...so let him walk away until next year. Gonna try once more here for a last minute buck...then you gotta show me around region 3!! Nice shooting, Pitched.

dunbartr
11-23-2008, 10:39 PM
pics are up now....

hunter1947
11-24-2008, 04:32 AM
Nice pic of the deer ,great story ,way to go you to congrats.